Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2006   #1
bdiddy
Veteran

Default Kubiak and the Draft

Here is an interesting article in today's Denver Post. This is for everyone saying that Kubiak favors drafting VY because Denver never drafts a running back in the first round.

All signs point to Bush

Houston: It is difficult to believe reports the Texans are married to the decision to draft Southern California running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick over Texas quarterback Vince Young, a state hero and a Houston native.

But it makes sense. It also makes sense that Bush will be the pick with the pending hiring of Broncos' offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak. All indications point to the Texans hiring Kubiak once Denver's season ends.

Kubiak knows the benefits of having a strong running game. Denver has been a running stalwart in Kubiak's time with the team and Bush is too tempting. Plus, the Texans think a solid quarterback coach such as Kubiak could salvage former overall No. 1 pick David Carr. Taking Young and bypassing on the explosiveness of Bush would not make sense. Kubiak has helped Jake Plummer flourish and he could do the same with Carr, who is only 26.

It is too early for the Texans to make their final decision, but all signals point to Bush over Young.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #2
HOOK'EM
Veteran

Kubiak + Bush = Playoff 06!
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOK'EM
Kubiak + Bush = Playoff 06!

Highly doubtful one player and a new system is gonna change this team in one season .

Too many holes on both sides of the ball to fill with one draft , FA's dont really care to come to 2-14 teams .

They could go 6-10 to 8-8 and I'd be hard pressed to complain ..

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
Here is an interesting article in today's Denver Post. This is for everyone saying that Kubiak favors drafting VY because Denver never drafts a running back in the first round.
To clarify my position. I don't believe Kubiak sees value in drafting a Running Back high in the Draft order..... I don't believe it fits his thinking. To me, this doesn't necessarily translate into drafting Vince Young. Only that I don't believe Kubiak has seen the Running Back Prospect that is too good to pass on yet, & I don't think Reggie is the one....... but that's me.

Quote:
All signs point to Bush
Houston: It is difficult to believe reports the Texans are married to the decision to draft Southern California running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick over Texas quarterback Vince Young, a state hero and a Houston native.

But it makes sense. It also makes sense that Bush will be the pick with the pending hiring of Broncos' offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak. All indications point to the Texans hiring Kubiak once Denver's season ends.

Kubiak knows the benefits of having a strong running game. Denver has been a running stalwart in Kubiak's time with the team and Bush is too tempting. Plus, the Texans think a solid quarterback coach such as Kubiak could salvage former overall No. 1 pick David Carr. Taking Young and bypassing on the explosiveness of Bush would not make sense. Kubiak has helped Jake Plummer flourish and he could do the same with Carr, who is only 26.
Denver's strong Running game is a power running game. Between the tackles. It's a one running back set, and that running back is usually built short and stout, and a powerful runner. Which, Houston allready has three of. Which, may be a primary reason Kubiak is interested in the job, and believes that he can turn this team around..... I said may be....
Quote:
It is too early for the Texans to make their final decision, but all signals point to Bush over Young.
Sounds like dude made up his mind, before writing the article. If I'm looking at Kubiak, and the Denver Broncos, as a sign of what the Texans will do in the offseason, I would hazard to guess... trade down.
Old 01-17-2006   #5
outofhnd
All Pro

It will be hard to trade down this year with so many Running backs and QBS available to the sucky teams that need these players on their roster...
Old 01-17-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am all for Kubiak as most posters are on this site, but one of the things that we are exicted about is in his history as OC where he ran an offense that took players that were not drafted high at RB and most recently resurrected a QB's career.

If anyone thinks they know what is going to happen then in my opinon they have no friggin clue. We can talk about what each of us would like to do, but for anyone that says or implies that it is black and white is out pushing their own agenda.
Old 01-17-2006   #7
bdiddy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
To clarify my position. I don't believe Kubiak sees value in drafting a Running Back high in the Draft order..... I don't believe it fits his thinking. To me, this doesn't necessarily translate into drafting Vince Young. Only that I don't believe Kubiak has seen the Running Back Prospect that is too good to pass on yet, & I don't think Reggie is the one....... but that's me.

Denver's strong Running game is a power running game. Between the tackles. It's a one running back set, and that running back is usually built short and stout, and a powerful runner. Which, Houston allready has three of. Which, may be a primary reason Kubiak is interested in the job, and believes that he can turn this team around..... I said may be....

Denver rarely runs out of a one back set. The offense is primarily run through an offset i-formation to the weakside with a TE and 2 WR. Also, Tatum Bell is not exactly stout and Mike Anderson was intially brought in as a fullback, not TB - the Broncos found out he had good running instincts so they moved him. While I will agree that the Denver running scheme is a power running scheme, it is not your typical run between the guards/up the middle system. There is a great deal of pulling and shifting within the properly run zone blocking scheme.

Sounds like dude made up his mind, before writing the article. If I'm looking at Kubiak, and the Denver Broncos, as a sign of what the Texans will do in the offseason, I would hazard to guess... trade down.
I agree that if Kubiak is to fulfill the ideal Bronco model he will likely trade down. However, in regards to picking Bush - the Broncos do not normally pick running backs in the first round. But when is the last time the Broncos had a top 10 pick? Generally speaking running backs outside the top 10 are fairly equal from the later part of round 1 to round 3. Accordingly, I think one of the main reasons Denver has never used a very high pick on a running back is because they have not had such a high pick where they would be able to get this impact running back. Can the system produce good results with mediocre talent? Yes, but imagine what it could do with superb talent.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2006   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure how much the writers of that article have been paying attention but the Broncos never take a 1st round RB and have always prided themselves on finding guys later..same with O-lineman. If the Broncos have a tendency lately it is taking defensive players with their top picks.

Sorry bdiddy, after the fact..didn't see your post

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-17-2006 at 12:12 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #9
HOOK'EM
Veteran

Kubiak LOVES Bush!
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone ever considered where the Broncos have been picking. Current memory tells me that they have drafted pretty low like in the 20's at least. It's not like we see the Broncos drafting in the top 10 every other year. I know there weren't that many good RBs hanging around that late.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Has anyone ever considered where the Broncos have been picking. Current memory tells me that they have drafted pretty low like in the 20's at least. It's not like we see the Broncos drafting in the top 10 every other year. I know there weren't that many good RBs hanging around that late.
Except Clinton Portis the year we passed him for Gafney:brickwall
Old 01-17-2006   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I disagree a lot.
I don't. The Texans are a NFL worst because of talent. Maybe the guy gets you 2-3 more wins and the coaching helps with that but until you upgrade all around you won't get any farther. There is a reason why there have been 4 losing seasons and a majority of it is lack of talent compared to other teams. Re-watch any Texan game and then watch a playoff game and it is like watching high school v. pro-top level.
Old 01-17-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I've got to think if the talent was really that bad, that would be the story on ESPN, Casserly would've gone with Capers, and Dan Reeves would have a different title.
Old 01-17-2006   #14
TreWardTxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
I don't. The Texans are a NFL worst because of talent. Maybe the guy gets you 2-3 more wins and the coaching helps with that but until you upgrade all around you won't get any farther. There is a reason why there have been 4 losing seasons and a majority of it is lack of talent compared to other teams. Re-watch any Texan game and then watch a playoff game and it is like watching high school v. pro-top level.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. If the Texans talent is so horrendous, then how did they go 7-9 two years ago? They lost Sharper and Glenn off the defense and switched it to 3-4, a move which we now know the players disliked and did not feel comfortable in. The mistake was bringing in Buchannon, but you can find starters at CB in the 2nd round, Darrent Williams has done it for the Broncos. Morlon Greenwood is not my preferred player for OLB, but there are guys in this draft other than AJ Hawk that can scratch that itch. I think the right coaching decisions can put the current Texas players in positions to suceed on defense. The OL will gel with increased reps together and will look a lot better with a QB who buys time in the pocket rather than bailing out at the first sign of pressure, maybe Carr can learn to be that kinda QB, but only time will tell...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreWardTxn
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. If the Texans talent is so horrendous, then how did they go 7-9 two years ago? They lost Sharper and Glenn off the defense and switched it to 3-4, a move which we now know the players disliked and did not feel comfortable in. The mistake was bringing in Buchannon, but you can find starters at CB in the 2nd round, Darrent Williams has done it for the Broncos. Morlon Greenwood is not my preferred player for OLB, but there are guys in this draft other than AJ Hawk that can scratch that itch. I think the right coaching decisions can put the current Texas players in positions to suceed on defense. The OL will gel with increased reps together and will look a lot better with a QB who buys time in the pocket rather than bailing out at the first sign of pressure, maybe Carr can learn to be that kinda QB, but only time will tell...
Can you pin point when the switch occured to a 3-4 defense? I know Capers has been a 4-3 guy his enitre career, so I am interested to hear what fostered this change?
Old 01-17-2006   #16
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

The Texans have always run a 3-4 defense and never made any switch, and Capers has been running a 3-4 since his days in Pittsburgh in the early 90s.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #17
TreWardTxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
I'm not sure how much the writers of that article have been paying attention but the Broncos never take a 1st round RB and have always prided themselves on finding guys later..same with O-lineman. If the Broncos have a tendency lately it is taking defensive players with their top picks.

Sorry bdiddy, after the fact..didn't see your post
They took George Foster at T a few years ago and that wasn't even a top ten pick...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #18
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

If we had so little talent why did everyone predict a 9-7 season before the preseason and during the preseason.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read