Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Is David Carr the Problem?
Yes 17 19.32%
No 71 80.68%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2006   #1
The Kid
Rookie

Default Is David Carr the Problem?

I realize that there isn't just one problem with the team, but do you think that David Carr is the major reason for the Texans' lack of success?

I voted no and I hope this thread does not become one where Carr is blamed for everything and Vince Young is deemed the Messiah. I am just putting the poll up to see how many people really believe that Carr is the biggest problem.

Last edited by The Kid; 01-13-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2006   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

Here is your answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carr
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :brickwall
Old 01-13-2006   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is David Carr the Problem?
What problem?

2-14 was a team meltdown. There were very few* aspects of the team's performance that can be seen as positive gains. Coaching was bad, defense was bad, offense was bad, special teams was mediocre (only Mathis saved them from being bad, too).

That being said, I don't think it's fair to pin a suck team on one player. Be fair with your critical analysis of any given player, because they most likely deserve it. But trying to speculation that every failure of the 2005 season was the result of one player is over-simplifying the matter and ignoring the reality that this is the worst team in football at the moment.

*"few" is an over-estimation
Old 01-13-2006   #4
The Kid
Rookie

Just for the record I do not think that Carr was the problem, but after reading a lot of the stuff on this board there seemed to be a lot of people who think that getting rid of him would solve all of the Texans problems. Its nice to see that the majority of people still understand that one player didn't lose 14 games this season. I feel that if there is enough support and coaching around him Carr can still be a very good quarterback in the nfl.
Old 01-13-2006   #5
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid
I realize that there isn't just one problem with the team, but do you think that David Carr is a major reason for the Texans' lack of success?
Is David Carr THE problem?

No...

but...

...he is part of the problem.
Old 01-13-2006   #6
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Here is your answer:
I, for one, am getting a little tired of these blame everything on Carr threads.:brickwall One more time, one player does not a team make. And again, given a good offensive line, an adequate QB becomes better. I, personally, think Carr can be more than adequate, but that is beside the point. All of the angels and saints couldn't do much better behind the line we had than Carr did. If I'm not mistaken, the defense didn't do real well when we had a QB from Harvard playing against us - so why doesn't anyone blame one or all of them of them for our losing season? It takes a team to win - it takes a team to lose and I'm including coaches here.

Let us attempt to think logically rather than jumping on emotional bandwagons. Carr had to follow the coaches orders and we all know how well they did. Great QB's are not made by playing to not lose by more than 7 by the 4th quarter and pray you can catch up. Look at the Colts for a moment. They play to win in the first quarter and move on from there. That is their game plan. And trying to "hold on to a leading score through the second half" isn't even a consideration. The Colts never stop trying to win even when they are ahead - a concept Capers and co never could manage to grasp.

Carr had no line to speak of and people in various positions kept changing like they were playing musical chairs. You can't expect a winning team if you keep changing positions weekly. Can you imagine playing each game behind players in different positions than they were the week before? I'm surprised the players didn't have nervous breakdowns or TO fits of fury.

I think Carr and the rest of the players should be congratulated for the way they handled this entire god-awful season. I honestly think everyone will be surprised next year - pleasantly surprised. From McNair to the new coaches to the players - all are determined to never have this happen again and are working hard to see that it doesn't. We need to have a little faith and know that they are as unhappy as we are...probably more. This is their career after all.

If Kubiak, etc keep Carr it will be because he thinks they can win with him. The other coaches interviewed think they can win with him. Give the poor man a break and see if he can't be a real QB that remains vertical - which would be a vast improvement.
Old 01-13-2006   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9
...he is part of the problem.
Of course...as is nearly EVERY player on the team. IMO, the main issues lay with the coaches and they have gotten what they diserved...the door. They crippled nearly every aspect of the team except the ST under Marcianos direction.

De Oppresso Liber
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2006   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest problem was coaching. After the season, players would basically mock the old coaches by saying that other teams knew exactly what plays the Texans were going to run. Then gary walker said that they were trying to run some of the worst schemes ever and wondered if they were trying to get fired on purpose.
Old 01-13-2006   #9
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2
And again, given a good offensive line, an adequate QB becomes better. I, personally, think Carr can be more than adequate,
I absolutely agree with this statement. One hundred percent accurate & true. The problem is, it's part of the problem, not part of the solution.
Old 01-13-2006   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
They crippled nearly every aspect of the team except the ST under Marcianos direction.
Kris Brown had a pretty big meltdown
Old 01-13-2006   #11
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Kris Brown had a pretty big meltdown
okay maybe he meant return teams and coverage teams
Old 01-13-2006   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

We do not need David Carr to be an All-Pro, Hall of Fame quarterback. Look at some of the QB's in the playoffs now. Jake Delhomme, Jake Plummer, Mark Brunell, Rex Grossman. None of them are Hall of Fame QB's. Look at QB's who have led their teams to a Super Bowl. Kerry Collins, Trent Dilfer, Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson. Those aren't superstar quarterbacks either. They all had an all around good team. Vince Young isn't going to change our whole team. Put him on the team we put on the field and he's not going to do much better than Carr. All we need Carr to do is be an average QB. Let him make the throws, let him play the game that he's used to which is take a 5 step drop and let the play unfold. He's not suited for a 2 step drop and a screen play. That wasn't his fault, that was because our O-line couldn't protect and our coaches were terrible. I still believe Carr has the potential to be a VERY good QB but at the very least I do think he can be a QB who can lead this team without the eye popping stats. What we need is a solid team period. We need help on offense and defense. Not quarterback.
Old 01-13-2006   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

And given a good quarterback, an adequate offensive line becomes better.

I'm going to be drawing freaking social security and we'll still be talking about surrounding Carr with enough talent and getting him the right coaching and this, that, and the other. We could have four pro bowlers on the OL but only if we had five, then maybe Carr could reach his potential. How does my hair look by the way?

The really good QBs make those around him better. After spending 20+ million on the guy in the span of four years, I can't say that Carr has made anyone around him better. I don't believe the OL talent issue is as bad as what everyone thinks. The coaching/scheme issue has been more of a problem.

Shanahan/Kubiak's offense doesn't require a ton of talent on the OL so that will help part of the problem but the reality is, fair or not, that fans will have far less patience with Carr learning the new offense than they would Vince.

Is Carr THE problem? No

Is Carr part of the problem? Yes.
Old 01-13-2006   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

The only person who hasn't been part of the problem this season is Jerome Mathis.
Old 01-13-2006   #15
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm going to be drawing freaking social security and we'll still be talking about surrounding Carr with enough talent and getting him the right coaching and this, that, and the other. We could have four pro bowlers on the OL but only if we had five, then maybe Carr could reach his potential. How does my hair look by the way?

The really good QBs make those around him better. After spending 20+ million on the guy in the span of four years, I can't say that Carr has made anyone around him better. I don't believe the OL talent issue is as bad as what everyone thinks. The coaching/scheme issue has been more of a problem.

Shanahan/Kubiak's offense doesn't require a ton of talent on the OL so that will help part of the problem but the reality is, fair or not, that fans will have far less patience with Carr learning the new offense than they would Vince.

Is Carr THE problem? No

Is Carr part of the problem? Yes.
couldn't have said it better myself

I didn't get my impression from reading this board, by the way Hulk75, but from watching Carr stink it up game after game after game. Carr is, on his best day, playing the worst team in the NFL, an AVERAGE NFL starting QB. Too bad we can't play San Fran 16 times a season so Carr potential can really shine.....NOT.
Old 01-13-2006   #16
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

the problem is the patch work offensive line that we have some how did such a bad job of putting together.
Old 01-13-2006   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Come on AJ, you know that line wasn't even in the realm of adequate. Adequate indicates some where close to average, instead....we had the worst. Quite possibly the worst in NFL history. Hardly what anyone would want.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 01-14-2006   #18
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
couldn't have said it better myself

I didn't get my impression from reading this board, by the way Hulk75, but from watching Carr stink it up game after game after game. Carr is, on his best day, playing the worst team in the NFL, an AVERAGE NFL starting QB. Too bad we can't play San Fran 16 times a season so Carr potential can really shine.....NOT.
True gr8, you were saying that Carr wasn't going to amount to anything long before many of us realized it, during the 7-9 season. I remember you making those observations at the tailgate especially AFTER the games. I didn't disagree with you back then but I was hoping you were wrong. Looks like you were correct however we are all screwed if those in charge of the team don't realize it in the next 3 months.
Old 01-14-2006   #19
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
True gr8, you were saying that Carr wasn't going to amount to anything long before many of us realized it, during the 7-9 season. I remember you making those observations at the tailgate especially AFTER the games. I didn't disagree with you back then but I was hoping you were wrong. Looks like you were correct however we are all screwed if those in charge of the team don't realize it in the next 3 months.

i guess carr should be able to complete passes while getting slammed to the ground by DL,,,"Gosh Carr whats your problem" :brickwall
Old 01-14-2006   #20
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Look, I wanted Peppers in the 1st draft andwould've ok with banks as the first qb. of course he would've gotten killed pretty early but hey, even the almighty, just give him an o-line, no hair cutting carr missed a substantial amt of season 2 due to injury after a sack by posey at bills.

So I'm gonna say that beside the o-line poor play, they still gave it their all and carr made them look way worse than they really are. He's gunshy, shellshocked, and not a smart decision maker , nor has any pocket prcense when there actually was a pocket. He's got no touch on his short passes and typically overthrows receivers on deep routes as though he's content with throwing a deep ball to loosen up the defense. Also needs a WR to be wide open to throw it before throwing it, just like college. He hasn't developed. True he has had no true leader but he needs to step up and take control and has chosen not to. He doesn't take his guys out, he doesn't invite them over, and he doesn't stay after practice to study more film. These are strong rumors that were floating around early in the season and I've got a friend on the equipment staff that agreed with those statements.

All in all, he just not what they expected, for whatever reason. Can Kubiak fix his probs, the answer is yes, but.......maybe as the denver O Coordinator if Carr were to be released and picked up by them. He needs to go for his own good, he's never gonna get it together for Houston. But maybe some other team cuz he needs a fresh start.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read