Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-13-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default VY: Why people don't like him

I've been reading Skip Bayless here http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...bayless/060113 and this other article here http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/13617690.htm and it suddenly dawned on me why all the NFL pundits are downgrading Vince Young.

He's too good to be true.

Merrill Hoge is quoted as saying Vince's designed runs would get him killed in the NFL. He won't last till week 4. I ask myself: why would a pretty good ex-running back say such a thing? Well, could it be that if Vince CAN run in the NFL it somehow diminishes Merrill Hoge's accomplishments, whatever they were.

So map that across the spectrum of scouts and reporters and wise guys comment on Young. If he's THAT good, then every is taken down a notch. Maybe we don't want our heroes to be THAT much different than you and I. Bush looked great until Vince Young decided he and the Texas team should go ahead and win the Rose Bowl.

So they did.

Sounds crazy, but Vince Young makes the rest of the draft look mundane, the rest of the players are kind of ordinary. Who wouldn't resist that?

I understand all the reasons for not taking him in the draft--the profound investment in Carr that seems to go beyond the rational; the eagerness for Bush thinking he might be Gale Sayers instead of Metcalf or any one of a dozen other pretty good RB who were light and quick in college, before they faced big league competition of the NFL; Casserly's reputation; the will to not do anything TOO IMAGINATIVE and thus run the risk of showy failure; the McNair position of "I don't know but everybody says . . ."

But I'm telling you this, passing on Vince Young with the first pick is an invitation to an ocean of regret. It's worse than trading Favre. It's stupider than the Herschal Walker trade. It the kind of conventional, inside-the-box thinking that reaches no higher than the middle of the road. It's the kind of mistake that will mark this franchise forever.

Think about the Oilers without Earl Campbell. Try to imagine the Oilers passing on Earl Campbell.

We don't want to go there. You take Vince. Maybe you keep Carr, just to be sure. You build the line and the D with the rest of the draft.

It's the only cautious, sensible solution.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #2
Wordem
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Think about the Oilers without Earl Campbell. Try to imagine the Oilers passing on Earl Campbell.
This is, more than any other reason, why VY will be a Texan. McNair is not stupid. If the VY ends up hurting the Texans, his relationship with the City of Houston is over.
Wordem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #3
billtxus
Rookie

I think VY played awesome in the Rose Bowl, certainly a man among boys. I don't have a huge problem taking him as long as people realize it will be at least a year before he can play, and a few more before he starts to really play like an NFL QB.

Carry played in a pro-style offense in college, so he was comfortable dropping back to pass. VY always played in a shot-gun. Can't really run an NFL running game from a shot-gun only offense. So this will take time.

I will also say that any of the running QB's in the league, McNabb, Vick, all had to go through a transition where they went from thinking run first, to thinking pass first when they dropped back. This is partly because they were so good at running, but also because it was difficult for them to read defenses. This run first mentality held the team back, because the team had effectively no passing game, the passing game was the QB running.

Finally he won't be a man among boys, he will be a man among men. Meaning that he will be a good runner in the NFL, but he won't be able to shrug off tacklers like he did in college. NFL linebackers are faster and stronger than what he has faced. So while he still will be a good runner, he won't be able to run at will.

I think it will take a few years for him to develop into a pro QB, maybe, and not just a run-first QB. Nothing wrong with that as long as the team is willing to wait.

I think RB helps the team sooner, because Carr is not the problem, and he already has the prostyle offense down. But I can also see them trading the pick to get more draft choices.
billtxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Top 5 in 1978 NFL Draft

Quote:
A new point that hasn't been covered yet. Can't believe it.
Just to think about him in a uniform of one of the teams 2-5.... the stuff of nightmares.

1 Houston Oilers
2 Kansas City Chiefs
3 New Orleans Saints
4 New York Jets
5 Buffalo Bills

BTW, the Oilers (#17) even traded up with Tampa Bay that year to get him.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #5
J-Man
Veteran

Quote:
I've been reading Skip Bayless here http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...bayless/060113 and this other article here http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/13617690.htm and it suddenly dawned on me why all the NFL pundits are downgrading Vince Young.
Wow...Skip Bayless, there's a logical straight shooter!
He's too good to be true.

Merrill Hoge is quoted as saying Vince's designed runs would get him killed in the NFL. He won't last till week 4. I ask myself: why would a pretty good ex-running back say such a thing? Well, could it be that if Vince CAN run in the NFL it somehow diminishes Merrill Hoge's accomplishments, whatever they were.

Surely you have to be joking. How 'bout it's his job to give his honest opinion. There are a lot of folks than can "run" in the NFL from the QB position...not too many survive it for long.

So map that across the spectrum of scouts and reporters and wise guys comment on Young. If he's THAT good, then every is taken down a notch. Maybe we don't want our heroes to be THAT much different than you and I. Bush looked great until Vince Young decided he and the Texas team should go ahead and win the Rose Bowl.

Nice pop psychology moment...Bush, however, had nothing to do with the 39th ranked defense in the country not being able to stop Young. Young helped Fresno St. stop Bush from getting 500+ yards about as much as Bush was trying to stop Vince.

So they did.

Sounds crazy, but Vince Young makes the rest of the draft look mundane, the rest of the players are kind of ordinary. Who wouldn't resist that?

I entirely agree with you...it sounds crazy.
Notes in bold. Truth in lending...I think we should trade down to the 4 or 5 spot myself for picks and 1 or two immediate starters.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #6
bigpoppatex
Rookie

Default maybe because they know football

VY was a damn good college quarterback, and had one hell of a game.

But, in my opinion will never be a great NFL quarterback.

You cant run upright against NFL defenses anymore. Havent been able to since Eric D. He wouldnt last a half against Chicago's defense constantly wanting to run like he does. So then, you teach him to pass like a pro QB? Not going to happen. Too much time spent in the gun, and too much reliance his entire career on instinct. His "instinct" will be to run. If he does that, he wont last three years in the league because his knees will be destroyed. He is an ok passer in college, but that wont translate ... mark my words.

Reggie Bush on the other hand has more potential of becoming a star in this league. He is 200lbs, so not as small as some people think, and strong as hell.
Can flat out-run most players in the secondary, and makes DL 's and LB's miss in ways that make them look silly.

You cant kill what you cant catch.

I like VY, but do not think he will live up to the hype as a pro QB. Nice to see an H-Town kid do well in college and be able to set himself and his family up the way he has ... and from where he came. Nice story, but it ends soon.
bigpoppatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #7
J-Man
Veteran

oops!

Eat 'em Up, KATS!

Last edited by J-Man; 01-13-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2006   #8
J-Man
Veteran

oops #2...message board kicking my butt!

Eat 'em Up, KATS!

Last edited by J-Man; 01-13-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2006   #9
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Why does Hoge say this? Not because of the reasoning you give. It is because it has happened before. See Mike Vick. Everyone was saying the same things about him before he entered the NFL draft. His body is wearing down from the punishment he takes. For a quarterback to last in the NFL, he must be a pocket passer first and a runner second. Can Vince become a QB like this? I think he can, but it will not be an overnight process.
Old 01-13-2006   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

...(comp break down)

Last edited by gtexan02; 01-13-2006 at 05:06 PM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

...(comp break down)

Last edited by gtexan02; 01-13-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2006   #12
gtexan02
Working?

...(comp break down)

Last edited by gtexan02; 01-13-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2006   #13
gtexan02
Working?

I think its a little ridiculous for you to think that an ex-NFL running back saying that Young's running moves won't work on NFL caliber defenses is purely a jealousy act. VY will be a good NFL quarterback at some point in his career, I think that is pretty much agreed on. But to think that he will somehow be the best ever before he has even played 1 snap is simply wishful thinking.
People say that he has a poor throwing motion, and he does. Its not people afraid that his throwing motion is somehow better than others. Have you watched many of his highlights? A lot of his long balls are real floaters because of that half flip. That isn't as good as a proper follow through.
People say that he can't start immediately because he isn't comfortable taking snaps from under center, and again, thats true. Running all your plays in shotgun will really hurt your run game.
People also say that while he is fast, he tries to break tackles and in the NFL, that will get him hurt. Again, I don't see why you think that these detractions on him actually mean that he is better than the people detracting.

Anyway, my point is that for you to claim that a proven, distinguised ex-player/analyst will detract from Young because he's afraid his style will be too far superior is totally unfounded. These players know the game much better than you will, and I ahve to think that their insights are more credible than these conspiracy theories.
Old 01-13-2006   #14
J-Man
Veteran

oops #3

Eat 'em Up, KATS!

Last edited by J-Man; 01-13-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2006   #15
J-Man
Veteran

oops #4

Eat 'em Up, KATS!

Last edited by J-Man; 01-13-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2006   #16
gtexan02
Working?

...(comp break down)

Last edited by gtexan02; 01-13-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2006   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't believe Vince Young is to QB's what Earl Campbell was to running backs. I don't even think he's close. That's why I don't select him with the #1 and that's why I wouldn't trade up from #17 ala the Oilers to get him.

What this all comes down to is "Do you believe?" We look at the highlights and the numbers and the opponents numbers and what the experts say and what our friends and fellow fans say and then it comes down to whether you believe that Vince Young is the real deal.

Now I believe that Reggie Bush is the real deal, I do not believe that Vince Young is the real deal. That's my right and you may look at the same set of highlights, stats, and comments and draw the exact opposite conclusion. That doesn't make you wrong (or right) just like my belief doesn't make me wrong (or right).

Until these guys are in the NFL and doing something against NFL defenses we don't know. I don't know, you don't know, and Merrill Hoge sure the hell doesn't know. It's just whether you believe or not. It has nothing to do with Merrill being in some way humbled by the mind boggling possibility that is Vince Young - Last son of Krypton. Nothing Vince Young ever does is going to put Merrill in his place. Nothing. Ever. Nice theory and all but I don't buy it.
Old 01-13-2006   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't believe Vince Young is to QB's what Earl Campbell was to running backs. I don't even think he's close. That's why I don't select him with the #1 and that's why I wouldn't trade up from #17 ala the Oilers to get him.

What this all comes down to is "Do you believe?" We look at the highlights and the numbers and the opponents numbers and what the experts say and what our friends and fellow fans say and then it comes down to whether you believe that Vince Young is the real deal.

Now I believe that Reggie Bush is the real deal, I do not believe that Vince Young is the real deal. That's my right and you may look at the same set of highlights, stats, and comments and draw the exact opposite conclusion. That doesn't make you wrong (or right) just like my belief doesn't make me wrong (or right).

Until these guys are in the NFL and doing something against NFL defenses we don't know. I don't know, you don't know, and Merrill Hoge sure the hell doesn't know. It's just whether you believe or not. It has nothing to do with Merrill being in some way humbled by the mind boggling possibility that is Vince Young - Last son of Krypton. Nothing Vince Young ever does is going to put Merrill in his place. Nothing. Ever. Nice theory and all but I don't buy it.
Old 01-13-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Last edited by thunderkyss; 01-13-2006 at 06:20 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Also, I think the media bias against Vince, is because they were so high on Bush all year. I mean he was all that, and a bottle of wine. And he still is. But Vince while not "better"(they play different positions and all) is a more attractive pick in this draft........... IMO of course.

I've also been making excuses for David Carr for the last 4 years. I've been saying all this time, the problem is not David Carr. I've also said, it doesn't matter who you our quarterback was, we wouldn't get any better than what we have. and for the most part.... that's true. But this guy is different.

He's like Vick, but Better. He's like Culpepper, but better. He's like McNabb, but Better. He's like _________ but better. (of course, this is my projection of him. If it's OK, for you to think Reggie hung the moon, then It's OK for me to think Vince Painted the sky Reggie set it in).

There is a problem though........... he ain't like anything you've ever seen in the NFL, so how do you coach that?? I don't buy the Let Vince be Vince thing, because he will get killed.

I don't think 2-14 is David's fault, but I don't think he's helped any either.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read