Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2006   #1
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08
Default Reggie Wayne, UFA....should Texans acquire?

Arguments can be made that our young WR corp could blossom into something nice but with Reggie Wayne possibly in the market should the Texans go after this guy with determination?

What are your thoughts?
Old 01-13-2006   #2
Jerome Franks
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTexans08
Arguments can be made that our young WR corp could blossom into something nice but with Reggie Wayne possibly in the market should the Texans go after this guy with determination?

What are your thoughts?
Let's get him so Andre can stop working so hard!
Jerome Franks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #3
Johnny Utah
All Pro

I think he would be a great pick up, but I'm a bit worried how much he'll ask for. IMO he will want more then he is worth.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #4
Jerome Franks
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
I think he would be a great pick up, but I'm a bit worried how much he'll ask for. IMO he will want more then he is worth.
It wouldnt be the first time that any houston team over paid for a free-agent. At least he is proven to work along side a big threat reciever
Old 01-13-2006   #5
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

He'll end up playing for the Colts again, he might even take a salary hit just to stay around that bunch, and who can blame him
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #6
Headlights of a Carr

I would go for him. He is a great talent. Could you imagine AJ, Wayne, Bush in the slot and have DD in the backfield. Man that would be excellent. We then should go to a form of the Run n Shoot in certain situations.

Or have DD and Bush in the backfield with Wayne and AJ on the outside? The options would be plentiful if that scenario would work out.

So yes the Texans should make a play for him.

This will be a interesting off season.
Old 01-13-2006   #7
Jerome Franks
Rookie

We have to resign Jabar first... Get rid of Butter fingers Bradford
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2006   #8
SBTexans08
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Franks
It wouldnt be the first time that any houston team over paid for a free-agent. At least he is proven to work along side a big threat reciever
Very true.....not the first time we paid big figures to sign a guy....at least this time, it'd be someone worthwhile. I say we do it......he's there and the Texans shouldn't make the mistake in passing it up. We've done so in other off-seasons.....we can't afford to keep making these type of negligent mistakes continuously.
Old 01-13-2006   #9
SBTexans08
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy
He'll end up playing for the Colts again, he might even take a salary hit just to stay around that bunch, and who can blame him
I'm afraid of that....but, money talks. For the Texans sake and ours , let's hope he's open for negotiations.
Old 01-13-2006   #10
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

The thing about Wayne is, I know he's going to ask for bank. He is worth it though. I doubt Indy lets him leave though. Indy will dismantle their D before they let that offense break apart. If we switch to the 4-3 next year, I could see us going after Mathis.
Old 01-13-2006   #11
Htown34s
Veteran

I could see him pulling an Orlando Pace on us and just using us to get a bigger contract from Indy.
Old 01-13-2006   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I doubt Wayne comes here, and we've have to overpay him to get him to, so I don't consider him a realistic option at WR for us next year. If Indy can't afford him I'd look for the Eagles and/or Falcons to make a serious push for him as the Eagles attempt to bring in a WR to replace Owens and the Falcons continue to search for capable WRs for Vick to throw to (assuming they don't go after Owens in free agency)
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #13
Holden135
Veteran

I am a little worried about this guy. I think he is a great wr and all but i think he will be getting overpaid for his level of talent no matter where he goes. I think he is kind of a product of their scheme. Even Brandon Stokley looks good in their offense. He could do well as a Texan since he will see little double teams with AJ on the other side but i think his stats from the past years will get him more money than he is worth.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #14
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135
I am a little worried about this guy. I think he is a great wr and all but i think he will be getting overpaid for his level of talent no matter where he goes. I think he is kind of a product of their scheme. Even Brandon Stokley looks good in their offense. He could do well as a Texan since he will see little double teams with AJ on the other side but i think his stats from the past years will get him more money than he is worth.
I agree, and I think several teams will be looking for good WRs this year, and with the lack of talented WRs in the draft, there could easily be a bidding war for free agent WRs that will drive their price up and make it difficult to get one.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #15
SESupergenius

I think we should give the new coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. They will need to evaluate if Gaffney and Bradford are quality players and whether to address this position in the offseason. If everyone says that Gaffney is good the we shall soon find out because he is going to be given one of the most pass friendly offenses in the league.
Old 01-13-2006   #16
SBTexans08
All Pro

Bradford's trash though.....guy drops passes when he's all alone, take the Pittsburgh game for instance. There were others but that one really boiled my blood than the others.
Old 01-13-2006   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Bradford has no business returning to the team. Gaffney is a nice slot receiver, nothing less but nothing more.
Old 01-13-2006   #18
Samer
Veteran

I don't think we should go after Wayne, yeah he is a good receiver, but not as good as everyone thinks. Peyton Manning can make a bad receiver look decent and a decent receiver look amazing which is what he did with Wayne. I think keeping Gaffney would be good for the team but we do need another threat. If I had my choice, I would go after Kevin Curtis. That guy has talent and playing behind Tory Holt and Issac Bruce definately helped him. He probably won't be a massive burden financially. We could probably sign Curtis and LaCharles Bentley for the price of Wayne, giving us 2 positions filled instead of just 1.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #19
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be sweet if we can afford him. With an offensive minded coach, Mathis, AJ, DD, and maybe Bush. It would be quite powerful. But if we don't upgrade our O-Line, it will be money well wasted. Carr can't complete a pass laying on his back.
Old 01-13-2006   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

It is my opinion that we have our stud WR and we pay him like one. The rest of your WR's should be organically grown through the draft. A very good TE in FA would have more impact, in my opinion, than a well paid 2nd WR.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read