Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Reggie Wayne, UFA....should Texans acquire?

SBTexans08

Rookie
Arguments can be made that our young WR corp could blossom into something nice but with Reggie Wayne possibly in the market should the Texans go after this guy with determination?

What are your thoughts?

SBTexans08 said:
Arguments can be made that our young WR corp could blossom into something nice but with Reggie Wayne possibly in the market should the Texans go after this guy with determination?

What are your thoughts?
Let's get him so Andre can stop working so hard!:redtowel:

I think he would be a great pick up, but I'm a bit worried how much he'll ask for. IMO he will want more then he is worth.

Johnny Utah said:
I think he would be a great pick up, but I'm a bit worried how much he'll ask for. IMO he will want more then he is worth.
It wouldnt be the first time that any houston team over paid for a free-agent. At least he is proven to work along side a big threat reciever

He'll end up playing for the Colts again, he might even take a salary hit just to stay around that bunch, and who can blame him :)

I would go for him. He is a great talent. Could you imagine AJ, Wayne, Bush in the slot and have DD in the backfield. Man that would be excellent. We then should go to a form of the Run n Shoot in certain situations.

Or have DD and Bush in the backfield with Wayne and AJ on the outside? The options would be plentiful if that scenario would work out.

So yes the Texans should make a play for him.

This will be a interesting off season.

Jerome Franks said:
It wouldnt be the first time that any houston team over paid for a free-agent. At least he is proven to work along side a big threat reciever
Very true.....not the first time we paid big figures to sign a guy....at least this time, it'd be someone worthwhile. I say we do it......he's there and the Texans shouldn't make the mistake in passing it up. We've done so in other off-seasons.....we can't afford to keep making these type of negligent mistakes continuously.

Malloy said:
He'll end up playing for the Colts again, he might even take a salary hit just to stay around that bunch, and who can blame him :)
I'm afraid of that....but, money talks. For the Texans sake and ours :) , let's hope he's open for negotiations. :ok:

The thing about Wayne is, I know he's going to ask for bank. He is worth it though. I doubt Indy lets him leave though. Indy will dismantle their D before they let that offense break apart. If we switch to the 4-3 next year, I could see us going after Mathis.

I doubt Wayne comes here, and we've have to overpay him to get him to, so I don't consider him a realistic option at WR for us next year. If Indy can't afford him I'd look for the Eagles and/or Falcons to make a serious push for him as the Eagles attempt to bring in a WR to replace Owens and the Falcons continue to search for capable WRs for Vick to throw to (assuming they don't go after Owens in free agency)

I am a little worried about this guy. I think he is a great wr and all but i think he will be getting overpaid for his level of talent no matter where he goes. I think he is kind of a product of their scheme. Even Brandon Stokley looks good in their offense. He could do well as a Texan since he will see little double teams with AJ on the other side but i think his stats from the past years will get him more money than he is worth.

Holden135 said:
I am a little worried about this guy. I think he is a great wr and all but i think he will be getting overpaid for his level of talent no matter where he goes. I think he is kind of a product of their scheme. Even Brandon Stokley looks good in their offense. He could do well as a Texan since he will see little double teams with AJ on the other side but i think his stats from the past years will get him more money than he is worth.

I agree, and I think several teams will be looking for good WRs this year, and with the lack of talented WRs in the draft, there could easily be a bidding war for free agent WRs that will drive their price up and make it difficult to get one.

I think we should give the new coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. They will need to evaluate if Gaffney and Bradford are quality players and whether to address this position in the offseason. If everyone says that Gaffney is good the we shall soon find out because he is going to be given one of the most pass friendly offenses in the league.

Bradford's trash though.....guy drops passes when he's all alone, take the Pittsburgh game for instance. There were others but that one really boiled my blood than the others.

Bradford has no business returning to the team. Gaffney is a nice slot receiver, nothing less but nothing more.

I don't think we should go after Wayne, yeah he is a good receiver, but not as good as everyone thinks. Peyton Manning can make a bad receiver look decent and a decent receiver look amazing which is what he did with Wayne. I think keeping Gaffney would be good for the team but we do need another threat. If I had my choice, I would go after Kevin Curtis. That guy has talent and playing behind Tory Holt and Issac Bruce definately helped him. He probably won't be a massive burden financially. We could probably sign Curtis and LaCharles Bentley for the price of Wayne, giving us 2 positions filled instead of just 1.

It would be sweet if we can afford him. With an offensive minded coach, Mathis, AJ, DD, and maybe Bush. It would be quite powerful. But if we don't upgrade our O-Line, it will be money well wasted. Carr can't complete a pass laying on his back.

It is my opinion that we have our stud WR and we pay him like one. The rest of your WR's should be organically grown through the draft. A very good TE in FA would have more impact, in my opinion, than a well paid 2nd WR.

I think Wayne would want too much also (and I have my doubts).

WR1 AJ - strong
WR2 - CoreyB - HAS to be repalced
WR3 - Gaffney - solid #3 guy
WR4 - Mathis solid speed guy.

I think we are golden at WR, IF we add a solid #2 WR.

I would rather see us go after a veteran - Moulds.
(he is either a FA or has a huge bonus coming due which gaurantees he will be a FA)
Sign him to a 2 or 3 year contract. No long term headache and AJ/Mathis/Gaffney/(the guy we draft next year) will have him around as a player/coach.

Another option could be Rod Smith. Denver is way over the cap - might deal him and/or a few OL to get under the cap.

Kaiser Toro said:
It is my opinion that we have our stud WR and we pay him like one. The rest of your WR's should be organically grown through the draft. A very good TE in FA would have more impact, in my opinion, than a well paid 2nd WR.

ahh a TE....i wonder what that would be like?

Kaiser Toro said:

ahh a TE....i wonder what that would be like?

I think Casserly told Bob Allen that the Texans were going to be rather quiet this year regarding free agency, and focus on resigning current players and the draft. Unless Kubiak is head-over-heels for a guy I don't expect a big splash, but a subtle OL signing or two would be nice.

JackDizzle said:
I think Casserly told Bob Allen that the Texans were going to be rather quiet this year regarding free agency, and focus on resigning current players and the draft. Unless Kubiak is head-over-heels for a guy I don't expect a big splash, but a subtle OL signing or two would be nice.

Same crapolla he has said every off season. Probably to not get the FAs that come in to think we will give up the farm for them....and then...we do. I do think we will have two fairly significant FAs this offseason. Bently at OC/OG has to be high on the list and Clemments at CB would be another. Will we get them...who knows, but we need to try hard.

I've finished the thread since my last note. I agree a tight end and OL would help, but just who is that? What Ol f/a is available that we can afford that is improvement over Pitts? I agree with C Palillo that OG Steve Hutchinson would be nice next to Pitts if he isn't franchised. I do not see a starter at T.E. in f/a or draft. Pope may be there at 33rd pick but seems he has many critics. I really like Wayne and think he & Hutchinson can be had under the new cap. Even if we have to cut a few players ( I can name a bunch!)

Back