Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2006   #1
profan
Veteran

Default Texans Will Not Draft Longhorns

Vince Young will not be coming to the texans IMO, because from some reason it appears to me someone does not want any Longhorns on this team. I don't know if it's casserly, the owner, or the past coaches, but each year there are quality players from the university of texas and they end up on other teams rosters. The most glaring was Derrick Johnson last year. This year there will be a qb, db, d lineman, olineman, and a tight end who catches everything coming into this draft. The Texans could use any of them, but, i'm prepared to see all of these players go to another nfl team. It just seems odd to me that the worst team in the nfl that has never had a winning season would not draft any players from one of the best teams in college football over the last five years other than Sloan Thomas in the 7th round or have any players from this university on the roster period either through the draft or free agency.

Last edited by profan; 01-13-2006 at 11:58 AM.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #2
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Won't draft Longhorns? That's a bit of a conspiracy theory, isn't it?

I too questioned the passover of Derrick Johnson last year, and I too would have liked to see him wearing Texans blue this season.

But a guy can be stupid for a lot of reasons. He doesn't have to entertain a blind prejudice in the process.
Old 01-13-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by profan
Vince Young will not be coming to the texans IMO, because from some reason it appears to me someone does not want any Longhorns on this team. I don't know if it's casserly, the owner, or the past coaches, but each year there are quality players from the university of texas and they end up on other teams rosters. The most claring was Derrick Johnson last year. This year there will be a qb, db, d lineman, olineman, and a tight end who catches everything coming into this draft. The Texans could use any of them, but, i'm prepared to see all of these players go to another nfl team. It just seems odd to me that the worst team in the nfl that has never had a winning season would not draft any players from one of the best teams in college football over the last five years.
Outside of DJ and Benson, there really has not been a guy that I wanted for the Texans and I did not feel that they were a fit. This year there are three that are at need positions - Jon Scott, Rod Wright and Michael Huff.
Old 01-13-2006   #4
BREAZE
Veteran

Keep in mind we are only a 4 year old franchise...
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #5
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have drafted exactly one Longhorn (Sloan Thomas), Aggie (Chance Pearce) and Red Raider (B.J. Symons).

No one from Baylor, Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU or any other Texas school.

They have never drafted a player from:

USC (yet)
Penn State
West Virginia
Alabama
Georgia
Oregon
UCLA
Auburn
Wisconsin
Boston College
Clemson
Oklahoma
Cal

All of these teams finished in the top 25 this year. So what's your point?

http://www.drafthistory.com/team-college/texans.html
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #6
Dennis007
Rookie

What's so funny is the Texans are not going to draft VY or RB! LOL

They are going to re-sign D Carr, which we all know.

And trade down. Reggie or Vince won't be here..LOL

If they we're smart, they would work on drafting both. That should be the focus after the HC is hired.. Why pick just one when you have the cards to pick both!!!
Dennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #7
profan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Outside of DJ and Benson, there really has not been a guy that I wanted for the Texans and I did not feel that they were a fit. This year there are three that are at need positions - Jon Scott, Rod Wright and Michael Huff.
What about David Thomas. The guy has great hands at TE.
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2006   #8
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis007
If they we're smart, they would work on drafting both. That should be the focus after the HC is hired.. Why pick just one when you have the cards to pick both!!!
Why stop there? They should work on drafting Bush, Young, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and AJ Hawk....that would be totally awesome!

Oh, yeah, I know why. Because that would be impossible.
Old 01-13-2006   #9
Texans Honk
Rookie

Quote:
Vince Young will not be coming to the texans IMO, because from some reason it appears to me someone does not want any Longhorns on this team. I don't know if it's casserly, the owner, or the past coaches, but each year there are quality players from the university of texas and they end up on other teams rosters. The most claring was Derrick Johnson last year. This year there will be a qb, db, d lineman, olineman, and a tight end who catches everything coming into this draft. The Texans could use any of them, but, i'm prepared to see all of these players go to another nfl team. It just seems odd to me that the worst team in the nfl that has never had a winning season would not draft any players from one of the best teams in college football over the last five years.
I thought McNair's son is a UT alumni?
Old 01-13-2006   #10
swisher
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Honk
I thought McNair's son is a UT alumni?

Both of his sons are.
Old 01-13-2006   #11
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
UT also has a very good TE in Thomas and also had one last year in Bo Scaife who was drafted by the Titans and played all year for them
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What about David Thomas. The guy has great hands at TE.
I stand corrected. DT would be a 3-4 round candidate for a need position, in my opinion.
Old 01-13-2006   #13
Dennis007
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
Why stop there? They should work on drafting Bush, Young, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and AJ Hawk....that would be totally awesome!

Oh, yeah, I know why. Because that would be impossible.
I stopped there b/c it's possible.. Where you went is impossible.
Dennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #14
profan
Veteran

Quote:
The Texans have drafted exactly one Longhorn (Sloan Thomas), Aggie (Chance Pearce) and Red Raider (B.J. Symons).

No one from Baylor, Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU or any other Texas school.

They have never drafted a player from:

USC (yet)
Penn State
West Virginia
Alabama
Georgia
Oregon
UCLA
Auburn
Wisconsin
Boston College
Clemson
Oklahoma
Cal

All of these teams finished in the top 25 this year. So what's your point?

http://www.drafthistory.com/team-college/texans.html
Maybe not drafted, but we do have players from a good number of these teams on our roster. My point is i do not think the texans will draft a player from ut for one reason or another. That's my point. So don't get your hopes up that any of these players will be coming here.
Old 01-13-2006   #15
swisher
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis007
I stopped there b/c it's possible.. Where you went is impossible.

No, getting Bush AND Young is impossible.

Tell me exactly how that could ever happen.
Old 01-13-2006   #16
swisher
Old School

Quote:
Maybe not drafted, but we do have players from a good number of these teams on our roster. My point is i do not think the texans will draft a player from ut for one reason or another. That's my point. So don't get your hopes up that any of these players will be coming here.

The Texans have 4 players currently on the roster who attended the schools who won the past 9 National Championships. So there alot of really good colleges the Texans are not getting players from, not just Texas.
Old 01-13-2006   #17
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

You expect them to draft from everyone in only 4 years....not gonna happen. Give them time.
Old 01-13-2006   #18
profan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexNative
You expect them to draft from everyone in only 4 years....not gonna happen. Give them time.
No just draft, i'm talking also about free agency, etc. We have never had one longhorn on our roster. Don't expect them to draft everyone. They really don't need any more time than this year and i'm not referring to vy. There are numerous other players that the texans can use. If they are not available, then, i can live with that, but if we pass them up again(derrick johnston), then i will not be happy.
Old 01-13-2006   #19
swisher
Old School

Quote:
We have never had one longhorn on our roster..
yes we have...Sloan Thomas. Ok, he never actually played for us, but we did have him.

Last edited by swisher; 01-13-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2006   #20
profan
Veteran

Quote:
yes we have...Sloan Thomas.
I don't remember him being on our final roster. I know we had him in camp, but I thought he was let go.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read