Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2006   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronic's Lopez: Bush is the choice

Bush gives Texans best chance to wins

Quote:
But along the way toward bringing one hometown boy home, Texans leadership used the interviewing process to help make a more important, even tougher call regarding the great Vince Young or Reggie Bush debate.

With seven top NFL minds at their disposal during the interviews, McNair and his top advisers decided to use the coaches as a panel of experts, so to speak, on top of their scouting and personnel staff.

And the survey says ...

They asked each candidate to evaluate David Carr. And McNair and Co. wanted details.

Critique Carr's performance. What kind of leadership do you think Carr displayed? What would you do different? Rank Carr among all NFL quarterbacks. Can you win with him?

All seven candidates voiced the same opinion. Carr is not the problem.

The Texans then asked each candidate about Bush and pressed Fresno State's Pat Hill, a former NFL personnel man whose team played USC this season, meaning he had watched about 10 games' worth of tape on Bush.

Again, it was unanimous. All seven told the Texans: Draft Bush.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

They are blind... blind i tell you!

Nah seriously.. its good to see that some experts agreed that Carr isnt the problem. its one thing hearing it from other fans around the league and such.. but to hear it come from professional coaches just gives me hope.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #3
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Game-wise, I don't really care if we get Young or Bush with our first pick. What I am worried about is the economics of the choice. DD has a long-term contract whereas Carr's is running out. If we get Bush we'll hurt $-wise for years to come, but if we get Young as an upgrade to Carr(with a possible 1-2 years transition-period) we'll only hurt for a couple of years.

Despite what player one wants the most, I believe it is the economic aspect of the game that will ultimately decide who gets picked.
That would leave us possibly trading down the pick, again for economical reasons. Tough decision, glad I'm not making it
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

It's funny to watch this ebb and flow among the fans and media. The point made on the VY learning curve has and always will be valid.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All seven candidates voiced the same opinion. Carr is not the problem.
Like a breath of fresh air...Nice to hear it from someone on the outside looking in, I am just curious who the "NFL minds" were that they interviewed...
Old 01-13-2006   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The head coach candidates.
Old 01-13-2006   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

couple things.

Ive been thinking about this whole "Bush will hurt the Cap since we just re-signed DD" thing.. and ive got a few thoughts.

1. What if we drafted a WR #1 overall? They will only touch the ball 10-15 times a game... and thats if they are good. The cap hit would be similar, and the number of times the player gets the ball would actually be LESS than if we drafted Bush.

2. If the Colts can pay Peyton so much..and the Falcons can pay Vick so much.. how is it that we cannot pay DD + Bush without crippling ourselves? Heck.. both of their salaries together will probably still be 20-40 million less than Peyton or Vick gets.

3. The first few years of a rookie contract are usually fairly "light" on the cap, arent they? Obviously a #1 pick will cost more but for the first few years it shouldnt be a huge amount, right? Well by the time Bush really starts putting some pressure on the cap, DD will either be gone, or restructured.. correct? SO we probably shouldnt worry bout that either.
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2006   #8
aj.
Hall of Fame

DD's contract doesn't start to get real stupid until '07. Next season won't be that bad. But then you'll have to deal with those last three years eventually.
Old 01-13-2006   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Well if we keep him happy.. keep him sharing carries with Bush and playing a part in the offense... he strikes me as the type of guy that would restructure his contract to help the team out of cap difficulty. hes a team player.

Thanks for the info aj.
Old 01-13-2006   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

1) Did they even watch the games?

2) What he didn't say was the next 20 viable head coaching candidates would have all said Vince Young. Period.

3) They are all in McNair's pocket.

4) They all just like David Carr's hair.

5) They don't know anything about NFL football.

Did I miss anything?
Old 01-13-2006   #11
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
5) They don't know anything about NFL football.

Did I miss anything?

OMG don't say that, one of these guys will run our team in 3-4 weeks!

I guess this shouldget all the Carr-haters out, "horrible HC candidates, they like Carr!!"
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy
OMG don't say that, one of these guys will run our team in 3-4 weeks!
I guess there is some chance they know what they are talking about!
Old 01-13-2006   #13
geofb
Veteran

It appears cooler heads will ultimately prevail. The knee-jerk Vince Young crowd will be unhappy but we will be better in the long run by giving him a pass.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #14
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Marcus, you missed a good part of the article, though. Regardless of who we pick....
Quote:
...McNair has made billions from making well-researched decisions and never making the same mistake twice. He has told Kubiak that hiring top-level assistants will not be a problem.

If it takes a $1 million a year contract to lure a defensive coordinator who will implement a 4-3 defense and bring an edge to the defensive side of the ball, so be it. If Kubiak wants a quarterbacks coach to also work with Carr — which he does — fine.

Kubiak will serve as offensive coordinator and will call the plays, but if he wants the best offensive line coach available? Go get him, Kubiak has been told.

McNair will equip the new coach with every resource available toward winning and winning soon....
WHAAA HOOO!!! Ding dong the Fangio's dead, the Pendry's dead, the Fangio's dead... ding dong with wicked schemes are deeeaaaaad.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

I ****ing love Bob McNair.
Old 01-13-2006   #16
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I ****ing love Bob McNair.
LOL!!! Don't we all. That has signature possibilities.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Like a breath of fresh air...Nice to hear it from someone on the outside looking in, I am just curious who the "NFL minds" were that they interviewed...
Kind of like a poll question, Is David Carr the problem for the Texans lack of success? Of course not.

I would like to see how the break down went. That is what is being debated on this board, well by me at least.
Old 01-13-2006   #18
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Though I agree with this 'survey' opinion regarding Carr, and though I am not 100% sold on Bush but have come to more or less view it as a very good idea, I only hesitate to accept the validity of all of Lopez' statements.

Though I tend to think Lopez is the least biased and most fact based Chronic writer, I nevertheless always wonder where they get some of their info from.

I would be curious to learn more about this 'wise circle of seven' and how Lopez got the inside word on their proceedings. I am not saying he is false - hell, it could be 100% true - but I guess I only advise that the buyer beware.

I wonder if those people who bet me $50 that Vince wouldn't be wearing a Texans uniform intend to pay up if they lose?
Old 01-13-2006   #19
The Preacher
Veteran

Is it just me or is it a little disconcerting that the FO has to seek all this outside help to feel better about their decision making. Do the Patriots do this kind of thing? I'm a little surprised since Bob never makes the same mistake twice why the whole ship wasn't dismantled. Reeves must have thought the coaching was really bad.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hello PR machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
The head coach candidates.

Yeah, I could just imagine a guy interviewing for a job saying, "Yuppers, your QB stinks on ice." And personally, I think it is difficult to evaluate Carr at all given the coaching, protection issues and the difficulty in discerning what is Carr and what is not.

And IIRC, I read that the candidates have all said they would like to see more film on our team.

In any event, if I am a new head coach, I would want to win immediately and have an easier camp etc--that means no developing a new QB--and getting picks that can play right away.

But that doesn't mean that VY wouldn't be a great first pick.

I betcha we will be seeing lots of articles like this to prepare Houston for the notion that we are not going to get VY.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read