Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 31
Posts: 15,780
Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Matt Leinart is better than Vince Young

Plain and simple, I'd rather have Leinart than Young here.

What does VY have going for him?
Heart of a champion
Accurate Passer
Very mobile

What does Leinart have?
Same champions heart
More accurate passer
Not mobile, but doesn't need to be because of superior pocket presence
Calls his own plays

VY had a good junior year, true, but Leinart had 3 incredible seasons. I'd take consistency over 1 good game any day.

Matts stats:
2003 255/402 (63.4%) for 3556 38 TDs and 9 INTs
2004 269/412 (65.3%) for 3322 33 TDs and 6 INTs
2005 283/431 (65.7%) for 3815 28 TDs and 8 INTs

VY stats:
2003 84/143 (58.7%) for 1155 6 TDs and 7 INTs
2004 148/250 (59.2%) for 1849 12 TDs and 11 INTs
2005 212/325 (65.2%) for 3036 26 TDs and 10 INTs

If all you Longhorn fans really think we need a QB, why isn't Leinart even being considered? Because he's not from Texas? Thats ridiculous. He has shown for his ENTIRE career that he is a winner who gets it done. His worst season was still better than VYs best season as a passer. Sure he doesn't move around as much, but NFL quarterbacks aren't supposed to move around. Thats how you get hurt, just look at Vick. The fact of the matter is, Leinart is a MUCH BETTER NFL prospect than VY. He throws the ball perfectly. He is smart. He is calm. He reads defenses better, and he even calls his own plays. VY is a gamble, and may turn out great, but also may turn out badly
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #2
jacquescas
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 1,323
Rep Power: 12 jacquescas is ridin' the pine
Default

agreed. if there is going to be a legitamate QB controversy it should be expanded to include Matt Linart.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #3
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame
 
MorKnolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,210
Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle
Default

You could argue that Vince has the potential to be a better QB, but I agree Leinart is by far more NFL-ready at this moment and if I was going to use the pick for a guy that is supposed to come improve my team, I'd probably draft Leinart over Vince, but again that would largely depend on my coaching staff and their offensive system.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #4
Holden135
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 249
Rep Power: 10 Holden135 is a team player
Default

I honestly think Matt will be a better pro qb than Vince as well. He is a better passing qb. Everyone wants to talk about the 200yds Vince ran for against USC. Newsflash guys, USC's defense is not that good. I think they were around 48th in the nation(could be off). The speed in the nfl will factor out VY's running greatly. He may have a few good runs here and there but qb's need to excel in the pocket which is something Leinart has proven he can do. Im not saying Vince can't do it but he hasn't shown that he can at the level of Matt.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #5
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!
 
swtbound07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Tampa, Florida
Age: 29
Posts: 9,474
Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135
I honestly think Matt will be a better pro qb than Vince as well. He is a better passing qb. Everyone wants to talk about the 200yds Vince ran for against USC. Newsflash guys, USC's defense is not that good. I think they were around 48th in the nation(could be off). The speed in the nfl will factor out VY's running greatly. He may have a few good runs here and there but qb's need to excel in the pocket which is something Leinart has proven he can do. Im not saying Vince can't do it but he hasn't shown that he can at the level of Matt.

its not really about the "runs"..its about the ability to escape when an (inferior) pocket breaks down...matt leinart isnt mobile, and our o-line isnt good enough to give a pure pocket passer time to suceed....Matt Leinart would get murdered, much like david carr has been over the past 4 seasons....Vince Young can make plays on the run, and avoid sacks. That is why Matt isnt mentioned in the controversy....we dont have the personnel in place to support a pure pocket passer.
__________________

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #6
Dennis007
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 38
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 0 Dennis007 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135
I honestly think Matt will be a better pro qb than Vince as well. He is a better passing qb. Everyone wants to talk about the 200yds Vince ran for against USC. Newsflash guys, USC's defense is not that good. I think they were around 48th in the nation(could be off). The speed in the nfl will factor out VY's running greatly. He may have a few good runs here and there but qb's need to excel in the pocket which is something Leinart has proven he can do. Im not saying Vince can't do it but he hasn't shown that he can at the level of Matt.
You must of went to Casserly's School of Logic. Scary.
Dennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #7
TheOgre
Hall of Fame
 
TheOgre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back in the cellar again
Posts: 3,739
Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis007
You must of went to Casserly's School of Logic. Scary.
Instead of making a mocking statement and insulting the poster, can you be specific about what is flawed in the logic?
__________________
"...the Texans select...Adrian Peterson, RB, University of Oklahoma."
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2006   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer
 
Texans_Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,262
Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
its not really about the "runs"..its about the ability to escape when an (inferior) pocket breaks down...matt leinart isnt mobile, and our o-line isnt good enough to give a pure pocket passer time to suceed....Matt Leinart would get murdered, much like david carr has been over the past 4 seasons....Vince Young can make plays on the run, and avoid sacks. That is why Matt isnt mentioned in the controversy....we dont have the personnel in place to support a pure pocket passer.

This is the point made by a column from TN saying why VY not Leinert is perfect for the Titanhicks:

Jim Wyatt-The Tennessean

This is not a column you should want to read after eating because the thought of it is bad bad bad.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #9
txlonghorn14
Rookie
 
txlonghorn14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 45
Rep Power: 0 txlonghorn14 is ridin' the pine
Default

if leinart had the same amount of heart or more than Vince does, than Leinart and USC would be 3 Peat National Champs. Oh, thats right......Vince and Texas shocked the nation
__________________
TEXAS FIGHT
txlonghorn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #10
TEXANFAN23435
Veteran
 
TEXANFAN23435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 109
Rep Power: 10 TEXANFAN23435 is ridin' the pine
Default

Behind this current OL, VY would find out very fast that in the NFL you have DL who weigh 300+ and can chase you down inside of 5 yards and make that even sooner for the 250+ pound LB's. There's just no way of knowing how VY would handle the pressure of a failing pocket especially when he realizes his feet won't always bail him out. Yeah, he got away with it at the college level but its different with no OL. Getting DE-CLEATED from the blindside will certainly lower your moxey levels. I noticed VY didn't really face that kind of pressure this year and he had time to check off multiple routes before throwing the ball which resulted in a very good season. Why didn't he accomplish this years results in his previous 2 years as a starter? At the NFL level, Vick ( who's faster than VY ) was exposed when defenses contained him. Where did Vick's escapability and team leading rusher stats get the Falcons this year?? If Vick doesn't learn how to read defenses, DC's are only going to get better at making him one dimensional and Falcon fans will eventually sour on him. I do not want to single out VY, but because of our current OL situation, I honestly feel there is not 1 current NFL QB with experience much less a rookie who could have come in here this year and led our team to the playoffs coming off of last seasons 7-9 campaign.
TEXANFAN23435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #11
Long-Spurs-Texan
Veteran
 
Long-Spurs-Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southlake, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 130
Rep Power: 0 Long-Spurs-Texan is ridin' the pine
Default

What is the diffence between David Carr & Matt Leinart? Carr is probably tougher, and Leinart had top 10 NFL picks around him his enire career. Leinart also had NFL coaching. You could put a lot of skilled QB's in that system & they would succeed.
__________________
Defense wins Championships.
Long-Spurs-Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #12
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 31
Posts: 15,780
Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlonghorn14
if leinart had the same amount of heart or more than Vince does, than Leinart and USC would be 3 Peat National Champs. Oh, thats right......Vince and Texas shocked the nation
Sometimes you UT fanboys scare me with your blind loyalty. Heart does help you win games, but only when you are actually in a position to do that. USC's defense let them down in that game, not Matt Leinart. Also, do you know how many times USC came from behind after trailing at the half? Many, many times. You would know that if you watched any game other than the rose bowl. The fact is, 1 game proves nothing. You hvae to look at history, and it shows that both QBs have an incredible will to win. Remember that game against Fresno? Thats heart


PS: Heres a nice quote that I really like from an article on foxsports.com

"The first pick is not for taking gambles. Vince Young, at this stage of his development, is a gamble. The upside is there, and it is tremendous, but so is the risk that the Texans would be right back here five years from now watching the David Carr-led Raiders challenge the Reggie Bush-led Saints in Super Bowl XLV while trying to decide whom they should take with the top pick to replace Vince Young."
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #13
Long-Spurs-Texan
Veteran
 
Long-Spurs-Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southlake, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 130
Rep Power: 0 Long-Spurs-Texan is ridin' the pine
Default

The fact that you thought enough about that article to quote it isn't helping your image. The Raiders & Saints in the Super Bowl five years from now? Wake up & smell the crack rocks.
__________________
Defense wins Championships.
Long-Spurs-Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #14
Huge
Hall of Fame
 
Huge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Out yonder way...
Age: 43
Posts: 2,386
Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP
Default

DeAngelo's stats:
103 carries, 684 yards, 5 TDs
243 carries, 1,430 yards, 10 TDs
313 carries, 1,948 yards, 22 TDs
309 carries, 1,959 yards, 18 TDs

Reggie's stats:
90 carries, 521 yards, 3 TDs
143 carries, 908 yards, 6 TDs
200 carries, 1,740 yards, 16 TDs

In other words, a team would be stupid to take Reggie Bush over DeAngelo Williams.


Right?

And I'm sure Carson Palmer would love to hear your theory about how QBs aren't supposed to move around because they get hurt that way.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #15
JDizzle
I'm a dude
 
JDizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,946
Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long-Spurs-Texan
The fact that you thought enough about that article to quote it isn't helping your image. The Raiders & Saints in the Super Bowl five years from now? Wake up & smell the crack rocks.
The Saints and Raiders in the SB in 5 years? Doesn't seem too farfetched to me, they have far more talent than we do on both sides of the ball with one, common missing peice. Insulting people isn't helping your image.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #16
Holden135
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 249
Rep Power: 10 Holden135 is a team player
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
DeAngelo's stats:
103 carries, 684 yards, 5 TDs
243 carries, 1,430 yards, 10 TDs
313 carries, 1,948 yards, 22 TDs
309 carries, 1,959 yards, 18 TDs

Reggie's stats:
90 carries, 521 yards, 3 TDs
143 carries, 908 yards, 6 TDs
200 carries, 1,740 yards, 16 TDs

In other words, a team would be stupid to take Reggie Bush over DeAngelo Williams.


Right?

And I'm sure Carson Palmer would love to hear your theory about how QBs aren't supposed to move around because they get hurt that way.
How about you show receptions and return yards in there too. Reggie is not a RB. He is an offensive weapon with no real label.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #17
Huge
Hall of Fame
 
Huge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Out yonder way...
Age: 43
Posts: 2,386
Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135
How about you show receptions and return yards in there too. Reggie is not a RB. He is an offensive weapon with no real label.
So then shouldn't we also show Vince's rushing stats when we're comparing the two QB's?

It'd only seem fair...right?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #18
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spring TX
Age: 41
Posts: 1,098
Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad
Default

Good job on the stats HUGE. Looks like Williams is durable too
__________________
Kubiak is no mechanic!
Trade in the Carr and go with a Young-er model!
Big B Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #19
uofmgriz
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 42
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0 uofmgriz is ridin' the pine
Default

I do agree with what you say regarding Matt, however, why even bother with a quarterback? The offensive line couldn't protect a crash test dummy. If they draft Young, Leinart, or Bush, all they are going to do is promptly destroy any hopes of this young talent from taking off in this league. I say trade the first round pick, for extra picks, and get an offensive line!!
__________________
Remember the 7 P's. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
uofmgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #20
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame
 
Napa Auto Parts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 37
Posts: 1,186
Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Plain and simple, I'd rather have Leinart than Young here.

What does VY have going for him?
Heart of a champion
Accurate Passer
Very mobile

What does Leinart have?
Same champions heart
More accurate passer
Not mobile, but doesn't need to be because of superior pocket presence
Calls his own plays

VY had a good junior year, true, but Leinart had 3 incredible seasons. I'd take consistency over 1 good game any day.

Matts stats:
2003 255/402 (63.4%) for 3556 38 TDs and 9 INTs
2004 269/412 (65.3%) for 3322 33 TDs and 6 INTs
2005 283/431 (65.7%) for 3815 28 TDs and 8 INTs

VY stats:
2003 84/143 (58.7%) for 1155 6 TDs and 7 INTs
2004 148/250 (59.2%) for 1849 12 TDs and 11 INTs
2005 212/325 (65.2%) for 3036 26 TDs and 10 INTs

If all you Longhorn fans really think we need a QB, why isn't Leinart even being considered? Because he's not from Texas? Thats ridiculous. He has shown for his ENTIRE career that he is a winner who gets it done. His worst season was still better than VYs best season as a passer. Sure he doesn't move around as much, but NFL quarterbacks aren't supposed to move around. Thats how you get hurt, just look at Vick. The fact of the matter is, Leinart is a MUCH BETTER NFL prospect than VY. He throws the ball perfectly. He is smart. He is calm. He reads defenses better, and he even calls his own plays. VY is a gamble, and may turn out great, but also may turn out badly


Im not going to agree with you but i think either one of this two great college QB's would be and upgrade for us.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger