Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-12-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What it could mean for the crediblility of the Texans if we draft Young

I don't want Young here anymore. Period. After the Rose Bowl game I did, but now, I don't. If he gets drafted here instead of someone else (I don't even like Bush all that much, either), then it will be a clear indication that this franchise is focused on making money and not winning games. Before the Rose Bowl, we had basically committed to Carr. Reeves, Casserly, and McNair all expressed their interest in signing his extension and bringing him in here for at least 2 more years. Reeves, a respsected talent coordinator that worked with many great QBs (Elway) evaluated Carr and said that he was a good QB for the future. Now, with all these Longhorn homers who are praising VY as the messiah making such a huge ruckus, the press could be so bad for the Texans if we don't draft VY that the seats won't be filled come opening day. I think that is total BS. We have to be dedicated to winning, and have to avoid the hype. If we have an answer at QB (separately evaluated by 3 people) then drafting a home-town hero to fill the seats is a sell-out money making scheme and I will lose a lot of respect for this classy organization
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

To me, the thing that has been rubbing me wrong is this idea that the ownership is somehow OBLIGATED to take a certain player because that's what the fans want.

Absurd.

If they take Young, and especially if it was because of the outcry of fans, I'm going deeper into depression.

This team has an obligation to field the most competitive team it can, not to field the team with hometown players or who the "fans want" just to make more money.

Like I said, all Young did Wednesday night in Pasadena was to muddy the water of what had been a pretty clear body of water in terms of draft picks. And like I also said, it makes me almost wish that USC had blown them out so this whole mess never happened.

1. What QB in the NFL operates from the shotgun every play?
2. What QB in the NFL rushes the ball as much as Young has?
3. What QB could withstand the shaky o line we had, and the poor coaching we had?

We are in position to acquire even more draft picks for trading the No. 1 pick, and it would go along with the other top picks we have in this draft class. AND we still get a quality player at No. 3 or No. 4, and maybe even at No. 5.

But the fans want_____________.

Priceless.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #3
Htown34s
Veteran

Yet another thread.
Old 01-12-2006   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice observation there
Old 01-12-2006   #5
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
I don't want Young here anymore. Period. After the Rose Bowl game I did, but now, I don't. If he gets drafted here instead of someone else (I don't even like Bush all that much, either), then it will be a clear indication that this franchise is focused on making money and not winning games. Before the Rose Bowl, we had basically committed to Carr. Reeves, Casserly, and McNair all expressed their interest in signing his extension and bringing him in here for at least 2 more years. Reeves, a respsected talent coordinator that worked with many great QBs (Elway) evaluated Carr and said that he was a good QB for the future. Now, with all these Longhorn homers who are praising VY as the messiah making such a huge ruckus, the press could be so bad for the Texans if we don't draft VY that the seats won't be filled come opening day. I think that is total BS. We have to be dedicated to winning, and have to avoid the hype. If we have an answer at QB (separately evaluated by 3 people) then drafting a home-town hero to fill the seats is a sell-out money making scheme and I will lose a lot of respect for this classy organization
I completely agree with you on this one. It was one damn game and it is like he is the greatest thing ever. I own too much Texans stuff in my house for them to draft a guy for popularity reasons. Where were these dog gone fans after the 11 attempts for 19 yards against Texas A&M, and his 13 for 24 for 162 yards against the worst defense in the nation? Thats what I wanna know? Where were yall? You make me want to throw up. Is Bush the answer? Probably not at first, but carr is there, and now these people are turning on him, when all season long these same people were saying it was the O line, not him. I knew this crap was going to happen if they won the game. VY is a talent, but not an NFL QB. I cant wait till Bush is drafted, so these morons will shut up. I will become some other fan of another team if they draft VY for popularity reasons. Draft Bush and use him for everything he has to offer or trade. Please Texans, dont give into these stupid people and their opinion, of the only football game they watched this entire season.
Old 01-12-2006   #6
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhcougar08
It was one damn game and it is like he is the greatest thing ever.
So the rest of the past 3 years VY sucked?

Did you know that VY is the ONLY player in all of NCAA history to pass for 3000 yds and rush for 1000 yds in the same season?
Old 01-12-2006   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown34s

Did you know that VY is the ONLY player in all of NCAA history to pass for 3000 yds and rush for 1000 yds in the same season?
He did have a good junior year, but he had average at best freshman/sophomore years:

2003 84/143 (58.7%) for 1155 6 TDs and 7 INTs
2004 148/250 (59.2%) for 1849 12 TDs and 11 INTs
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2006   #8
jmlockett
Rookie

Smile

I would like to direct your attention to my poll. It is on the 2nd page at this time. The majority of the people that have voted, are voting on keeping Carr and working on the offensive line. I am going to keep the poll open until draft day if possible.
jmlockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #9
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

Quote:
of the only football game they watched this entire season.
It's sad but true............for most...it was the only game they saw all season.
Old 01-12-2006   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:

Before this year Vince didn't prove very much at all. He had a very good year this year, but I don't know where this "three amazing years" argument is coming from that I've seen throughout the boards. In a way I agree that if the team drafts Vince it will somewhat damage their credibility, unless Vince somehow completely changes his throwing ability and his skills at reading defenses in the next couple months and proves that he is clearly the best player for this team, but if they do pick Vince based mainly on appeasing the local fans and media, then it will be a shame.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

The only real problem that I have with all the hype is when they put down Carr, who has taken hit after hit and put up with dropped pass after dropped pass. He also had to put up with a coaching staff that stifled his play in several ways, the most recently uncovered of which was not letting him call his own plays.

Not saying that he has proven that he is a stud, but he really hasn't had a chance to prove it and I don't care how long it's been. He still hasn't been protected and had the right receivers on the field.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #12
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

My whole point, is I am amazed how everyone jumped on the bandwagon from one single game.

Atleast I jumped on Reggie Bush's Bandwagon after his frosh season, see my point.

It is a shame that we live in a world that is a "what have you done for me lately" attitude.

Reggie has been amazing fro three strait years, not a couple of games, and yes I did say VY was amazing in one game.
Old 01-12-2006   #13
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Before this year Vince didn't prove very much at all.
He has a 30-2 career record as a starter. He won the MVP of the Rose Bowl last year and set several records in that game including TD's by one player.

When you and others say things like your statement above, then trash VY, you lose all credibility with me.
Old 01-12-2006   #14
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I have to say that I lose some respect for them for cratering to the public frenzy. Back in 1999, the Eagle's fans really wanted Ricky Williams. They took Donovan McNabb instead. It was a very unpopular move, but it was the right move for the team long-term.
Old 01-12-2006   #15
Dennis007
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
The only real problem that I have with all the hype is when they put down Carr, who has taken hit after hit and put up with dropped pass after dropped pass. He also had to put up with a coaching staff that stifled his play in several ways, the most recently uncovered of which was not letting him call his own plays.

Not saying that he has proven that he is a stud, but he really hasn't had a chance to prove it and I don't care how long it's been. He still hasn't been protected and had the right receivers on the field.
Since when within a 4 year period can you not show "potential"?!. No one is putting down Carr but the guy is not Franchise QB material, doesn't mean he can't contribute - somewhere else- but I don't think it's working out here.

Reggie and Vince , wee're coming to get ya.

Trade Carr.
Dennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #16
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis007
Since when within a 4 year period can you not show "potential"?!. No one is putting down Carr but the guy is not Franchise QB material, doesn't mean he can't contribute - somewhere else- but I don't think it's working out here.

Reggie and Vince , wee're coming to get ya.

Trade Carr.
Why are you so high on Vince?
Old 01-12-2006   #17
Dennis007
Rookie

Quote:
Why are you so high on Vince?
Because I am tired of being at the bottom of the barrel with David.

You should be too.
Dennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #18
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
My whole point, is I am amazed how everyone jumped on the bandwagon from one single game.
OK, well that is more of a legitimate concern. But before the Rose Bowl VY was almost certain to stay for his Senior season. I have been following VY since he declared for UT and was awestruck by him since his first start at QB for the Longhorns. He has amazed me literally dozens of times over the past 3 years. I have been singing his praises for a long, long time. I wrote this on this board back in early November:

Quote:
Vince Young is THE MOST DOMINANT and EXCITING PLAYER I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. He does unbelievable things every game. He does not get rattled no matter what is on the line. He is a leader. He has not had ONE bad or "off" game in over a year. He has learned how to take control of the team and will them to do what is needed.
I have watched football for 30 years. The only player who ever got me excited to watch was Earl Campbell...until Vince Young. If we draft him and he does well he will become a legend in Houston for generations. This chance does not come around very often.

Vince will become a force to be reckoned with in the NFL. I am sure of it.
Old 01-12-2006   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah hes had 4 years, with a picket fence of an oline, a fragil RB who plays 2 games then disappears for 1. ONE receiving threat. No TE. No defense, even though they drafted, traded, and wasted FA money on worthless talent. Play calling and coaching were horrid. Im not making excuses for Carr but these are legitament reasons the man hasent been able to assert himself as "The Franchise". He has proven something VY hasnt in the pros, that no matter how hard you hit him, he gets up and fights. Alot of QB's would ***** and throw a fit yet he keeps smiling and goes back to work.
Old 01-12-2006   #20
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis007
Because I am tired of being at the bottom of the barrel with David.

You should be too.
So, your saying the O-Line is great. If you are, go ahead back VY, yall will need help together.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read