Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-12-2006   #1
LCOOL
Rookie

Default Do You think Chris simms is a good fit?

There has been so much talk about how Reggie Bush or VY could fit into the Texans Scheme, what do you think about Chris Simms, here is a quote from ESPN insider: By leading the Buccaneers to a division title, QB Chris Simms has raised his stock enormously. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that at least four teams, including the Lions, Jets and Dolphins, are interested in Simms, who began the season as the backup to Brian Griese.
Simms is a restricted free agent who would require draft pick compensation for any team signing him if the Bucs don't get a long-term deal done with the lefty.
LCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCOOL
There has been so much talk about how Reggie Bush or VY could fit into the Texans Scheme, what do you think about Chris Simms, here is a quote from ESPN insider: By leading the Buccaneers to a division title, QB Chris Simms has raised his stock enormously. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that at least four teams, including the Lions, Jets and Dolphins, are interested in Simms, who began the season as the backup to Brian Griese.
Simms is a restricted free agent who would require draft pick compensation for any team signing him if the Bucs don't get a long-term deal done with the lefty.
NO!I don't care what he did this year, he still does nothing for me and would just cause headaches for all Texan fans.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish the best for Simms and have been a proponent of his before he entered high school. But I do not want to see him in a Texans uniform.
Old 01-12-2006   #4
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah sure he would be a good fit. So would VY. But we have someone already fitting in where they would. Let's try to fit someone into that oline. That TE spot. That 2nd wide receiver spot. Let's stick with our 3rd round pick out of Louisville for our backup. Let's see if we can get anything out of that pick one day. Let's get us another CB, a safety, some linebackers. We're probably gonna switch to a 4-3 so I guess we need some more d lineman. Man, all these needs, and everyone wants a QB and a RB.
Old 01-12-2006   #5
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

He went to UT, of course he'd be a good fit!
Old 01-12-2006   #6
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

For his own sake, I think he should stay with Chucky Gruden a little while longer.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #7
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I'm still amazed at home my fellow Longhorn fans hate Chris Simms. I wish him the best wherever he goes.
Old 01-12-2006   #8
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

At the risk of being really, really redundant ... Simms led them to the playoffs, sure, and laid a big fat egg.

I contend that the Bucs made the playoffs in spite of Simms, or maybe "utilizing" Simms ... not because of Simms.

Sure, say something like "I wish David Carr could be so bad as to lead his team to the playoffs" ... but I don't think Simms has shown us anything yet.

Simms has been a big-game choke artist since day one, which, to VY's credit ... I do not think there is a tremendous difference between VY's Longhorns and Chris Simms' Longhorns; both played for similarly loaded teams. Difference being, Vince Young didn't choke, he stepped up.

(Though I would liked to see Vince go up against a real Sooners squad. I am not saying he would have lost, only that it would have been a great game. Sad how that team fell off this year.)

Any way, I digress. No to Simms, he hasn't proven anything yet.
Old 01-12-2006   #9
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

The real question should be ... Would you take Dave Ragone over Simms? Our "brilliant" GM did.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
At the risk of being really, really redundant ... Simms led them to the playoffs, sure, and laid a big fat egg.

I contend that the Bucs made the playoffs in spite of Simms, or maybe "utilizing" Simms ... not because of Simms.

Sure, say something like "I wish David Carr could be so bad as to lead his team to the playoffs" ... but I don't think Simms has shown us anything yet.

Simms has been a big-game choke artist since day one, which, to VY's credit ... I do not think there is a tremendous difference between VY's Longhorns and Chris Simms' Longhorns; both played for similarly loaded teams. Difference being, Vince Young didn't choke, he stepped up.

(Though I would liked to see Vince go up against a real Sooners squad. I am not saying he would have lost, only that it would have been a great game. Sad how that team fell off this year.)

It is this type of venom that is spewed that I do not understand. You would swear he is the son of Bill and Hilary Clinton the way that kid is slandered.
Old 01-12-2006   #11
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
It is this type of venom that is spewed that I do not understand. You would swear he is the son of Bill and Hilary Clinton the way that kid is slandered.
All I remember of Simms' career was that he put up modest to good stats, year after year for UT, and then against OU, would go something like 0 TDs/4 INTs.

I passionately dislike the Sooners. Simms was my hope for beating them, and year after year, UT did not get it done. Year after year, the kid was a turnover factory.

I know that I am generalizing and oversimplifying his career with that sort of analysis, but honestly, to me, Simms is just another good college QB who hasn't made an impression on me at the pro level. He didn't step up in the wild card game, and prior to that, he has one pretty good regular season to his credit. If his stock is as high as it is being suggested, then he will command close to what Carr will as a free agent.

Make more sense now?
Old 01-12-2006   #12
LCOOL
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_C
Yeah sure he would be a good fit. So would VY. But we have someone already fitting in where they would. Let's try to fit someone into that oline. That TE spot. That 2nd wide receiver spot. Let's stick with our 3rd round pick out of Louisville for our backup. Let's see if we can get anything out of that pick one day. Let's get us another CB, a safety, some linebackers. We're probably gonna switch to a 4-3 so I guess we need some more d lineman. Man, all these needs, and everyone wants a QB and a RB.
I agree with you that are a lot needs that need to get met, and QB is one of them, so many people have been talking VY, but they all forgot there is a longhorn that is already in the NFL that will become a Unrestricted free agent and his name is Chris Simms. The QB issue is only the begining, why hasn't Charlie Casserly address issues like TE, OL , DL etc. dont be suprised if unlce Charlie trades down the no.1 pick for some draft choice that will not make any difference, I just for the Texans sake hope they sack Cassrely and get a real GM that can draft.
LCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

If the Texans had the defense that the Bucs have we would be in the playoffs.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #14
bdiddy
Veteran

Better yet lets get Major Applewhite out of his deal with Rice, he has the "it" factor just like VY.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we could be playing the Broncos and he could have flashbacks to the Colorado Big XII game start throwing picks and fumbling and then we could call Major Applewhite in, since he is Rice's new O-ccordinator, to bail him out.

I'm not a UT guy hatin. Just a Simms watcher.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-12-2006 at 01:48 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
All I remember of Simms' career was that he put up modest to good stats, year after year for UT, and then against OU, would go something like 0 TDs/4 INTs.

I passionately dislike the Sooners. Simms was my hope for beating them, and year after year, UT did not get it done. Year after year, the kid was a turnover factory.

I know that I am generalizing and oversimplifying his career with that sort of analysis, but honestly, to me, Simms is just another good college QB who hasn't made an impression on me at the pro level. He didn't step up in the wild card game, and prior to that, he has one pretty good regular season to his credit. If his stock is as high as it is being suggested, then he will command close to what Carr will as a free agent.

Make more sense now?
If you want to talk about his value as an NFL free agent I welcome the conversation. But the hyperbole due to past transgressions as a collegiate player and how they shape the here and now is nothing more than emotion blinding judgement.

As I have said I do not want to see Simms in a Texans uniform. But one could argue who got more value out of the QB position the last three years - Bucs vs. Texans.
Old 01-12-2006   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:

The only game at Texas that I truly blame Simms for was the Big 12 Championship against Colorado. That game is all on him. He didn't drop those 3 deep passes at the end of the Oregon game in the Holiday Bowl. I blame Greg Davis for some horrible offensive game plans and play calls (can we have a 1 yard flat pass ONE MORE TIME please?). He started to do the same thing to Young too. Young spoke up and they changed their philosophy at midseason last year (2004). Greg Davis nearly ruined Young too.

That past weekend, Simms was efficient with his passing (25/38, 65.8%). He threw one pass that was bad, but his other INT was a result of a D-lineman batting it. He threw a perfect pass in the 4th quarter that looked like a game tying TD against the Redskins (does anyone here understand why that pass to Sheppard wasn't considered a TD catch?). He had a few dropped balls too. Right now Galloway is his only deep threat.

The Skins took that away and Gruden fell for the trap. I don't know how many times they called a short pass on 3rd down that resulted in a 4th and 2-3 situation. Doesn't anyone actually try to PASS for a first down any more(instead of trying to get it with YAC)? It looked like something straight out of Herm Edward's playbook.

I'm really tired of fellow Longhorns immortalizing Applewhite and villianizing Simms. Applewhite had plenty of horrible games (I still feel the pain of the '99 Big 12 Championship and every game he started against KSU). Both had their moments and their struggles. It is just amazing to me how easily fans can be swayed by popular opinion.
Old 01-12-2006   #18
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with you that are a lot needs that need to get met, and QB is one of them
Yeah there definately are. But to me (at this point), QB is not a glaring need. If I were grading DC I would give him an incomplete. He has some strenghts, and he has some weaknesses. Who doesn't? I want to give him a chance with our future staff (crossing fingers for Kubiak and co.). I think he can succeed at this level as a Houston Texan. Never would I say that I don't want Vince Young on our team, but now is not the time.
Old 01-12-2006   #19
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

Make more sense now?
The Tampa Bay message boards have had a lot of traffic over Griese/Simms, and they have similar pro/con arguements as to what we are seeing here, so I won't go over it. But for TB, it seems to be almost as big a debate as Young/Bush is on these boards.

I, too, think that Simms laid an egg. There are a lot of people who disagree. He didn't throw outright interceptions is the point I am hearing being made. His balls were tipped. He was just a little unlucky. However, I go back to his UT days where he was not a clutch QB, not a come-from-behind QB, but a lost-the-big-game QB. According to what I am hearing from Bucs fans, he has performed well, though, and he has had several come-from-behind victories, including Washington and Atlanta. Looking at the stats, I think he is playing much better. I think that Tampa Bay will keep him and that he will work better the older he gets.

And I think Carr is a better QB than Simms; there's no reason to take him.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #20
Doom Capers
Veteran

Chris Simms over David Carr is like Treat over Spam.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read