Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-12-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default VY comparisons--a list.

Lots of arguments left and right trying to compare Reggie Bush and Vince Young to a lot of different people.

It is my belief that there are not really good comparisons out there because they are such different, spectacular players. People want to do the comparisons because then they can try to project the player's careers.

College stats can't be exactly translated to the NFL, but most all the players came from college so it is just one thing to look at.

I am going to take the stats from another thread and put them in this one. They are the last college year stats of various players whose names have been thrown around as relevant comparisons to VY.

I left out a couple of players people have mentioned because I couldn't easily find their stats. (Steve McNair, Randall Cunningham). Please add them if you find them.

I suggest if you want to talk about the comparisons, not to put them in this thread but rather in this other one and keep this one clean:

Vince Young: Relevant Comparisons

If you have last college season stats of other players you think are relevant, please add them to this thread.

Also, I suggest doing another thread for Bush, comparing his stats to various people you might think are comparable. I would be interested in seeing that. If you want to volunteer to do that, respond to this thread so that a bunch of folks aren't duplicating work.

Anyway, here are the stats of VY and people he has been compared to and their draft positions etc:

Vince Young (last college season), Drafted ???? 6’ 5” 230 lbs

3036 passing yards
65.2 completion percentage
325 attempts for 212 completions, 9.3 av yards per attempt
26 passing TDs with 10 INTs
155 rushes for 1050 yards, 6.8 av yards per attempt, 12 rushing TDs

Donovan McNabb (last college season): Drafted 2nd, 6’’2” 240 lbs

2326 passing yards
60.85 completion percentage
281 attempts for 171 completions, 8.3 av yards per attempt
23 passing TDs with 6 INTs
155 rushes for 510 yards, 3.3 av yards per attempt, 8 rushing TDs

Daunte Culpepper (last college season) Drafted 11th, 6’4”. 264 lbs:

3690 passing yards
73.63 completion percentage
402 attempts for 296 completions, 9.2 av yards per attempt
28 passing TDs with 7 INTs
141 rushes for 463 yards, 3.3 av yards per attempt, 12 rushing TDs

Against the following opponents:

at Louisiana Tech
Eastern Illinois
at Purdue
at Bowling Green
at Toledo
Northern Illinois
at SW Louisiana
Youngstown St.
at Auburn
Ball St.
New Mexico

There were a lot of questions about his development because of his competition--which partially explains his draft position. IIRC, some people thought that the Vikings were reaching picking a QB in the first round because they already had Jeff George and Randall Cunningham.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo.../12/culpepper/

Mike Vick (last college season), Drafted 1st, 6’0”, 214 lbs

1439 passing yards
54.19 completion percentage
179 attempts for 97 completions, 8.0 av yards per attempt
9 passing TDs with 7 INTs
113 rushes for 636 yards, 5.6 av yards per attempt, 9 rushing TDs

Akili Smith (last college season), Drafted 3rd, 6’3”, 220 lbs

3763 passing yards
57.95 completion percentage
371 attempts for 215 completion , 10.1 av yards per attempt
32 passing TDs with 9 INTs
82 rushes for 184 yards, 2.2 av yards per attempt, 4 rushing TDs

David Carr (last college season-including bowl game), Drafted 1st, 6'3", 220lbs

4830 passing yards
64.5 completion percentage
532 attempts for 343 completions, 9.1 av yards per attempt
46 passing TDs with 9 INTs
93 rushes for 74 yards, .8 av yards per attempt, 5 rushing TDs

Last edited by Texans_Chick; 01-13-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #2
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Texan Chick-

That was idea to start this thread. Way to go compiling all those stats. I hope McNair/Reeves/Casserly/Kubiak sees this.

My comparison

Last college season for DD
0 attempts @ pushing QB in endzone to avoid losing

Last college season for Bush
1 attempt (no flag thrown) @ pushing QB in the Endzone to avoid losing

He was a non factor on that drive. On 3rd down, was he even on the field?
Old 01-12-2006   #3
Long-Spurs-Texan
Veteran

GREAT post Texans Chick. That is some eye opening stuff. How many of those QB's led their team to a National Championship while going undefeated? Also, how many led the NCAA's in effeciency? Maybe you could add Steve McNair, Ben Roethlisberger, Jake Plummer, Byron Leftwich, Aaron Brooks, and David Garrard to that list as well.
Old 01-12-2006   #4
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
Texan Chick-

That was idea to start this thread. Way to go compiling all those stats. I hope McNair/Reeves/Casserly/Kubiak sees this.

My comparison

Last college season for DD
0 attempts @ pushing QB in endzone to avoid losing

Last college season for Bush
1 attempt (no flag thrown) @ pushing QB in the Endzone to avoid losing

He was a non factor on that drive. On 3rd down, was he even on the field?
This has what to do with QB comparisons?
Old 01-12-2006   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why don't you compare his stats to Kordell Stewart? Seems pretty similar

Stewart had something like 3000 yards passing, 500 yards rushing and similar TDs to Young. He came into the NFL, succeeded for a couple years, then turned into a total bust
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #6
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Hey, what about DC's stats? something like 4800 yds and 40 TD's, not too shabby..
Old 01-12-2006   #7
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr
This has what to do with QB comparisons?
I'll just start a new thread then. J/K
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I and many others have been saying Young was more like McNabb and Culpepper than Vick. This kind of backs up that statement. You can't tell me that you wouldn't trade David Carr for McNabb, or Culpepper. You can't tell me we wouldn't have won more games this past year, with Culpepper and McNabb. It's a totally different game, when those two are behind Center. How many ProBowl offensive linemen come out of Philadelphia and Minnesota??

Domanick Davis would be perfect for a Minnesota style offense(the year they went to NFC Championship Game) when Robert Smith looked like a probowler(I don't know if he went that year or not).

You can't use Leftwich for their quarterback styles, Brunnel is more like Vince, than Byron. I like Byron too, but I don't think our team dynamic would change much with Byron on our team. The only time I use Byron as a comparison, is when I get that Rookie QBs don't add to the offense line which is true more than not. McNabb and Culpepper would have made positive impact if they were allowed to start..... of course, this is speculation.

Texans_Chick, thanks for doing this. I didn't really watch either of those two in the college, so I had no idea, but what I envision from Young, is more like Donavan, and McNabb. Throw first, check your reads, then run if you've got to. Offensive line isn't given you time?? Just take off, and that will slow a defense down a lot more than play action passing ever will.
Old 01-12-2006   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

That's funny because Daunte Culpepper lost Matt Birk for the season and was not nearly the same player. He was being rushed a lot more and was being pressured and his stats showed it by throwing 6 touchdowns compared to 12 interceptions in the first 7 games.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
Hey, what about DC's stats? something like 4800 yds and 40 TD's, not too shabby..
He threw for 46 TD's, 4839 yards, 62.8 completion percentage, 6th player in NCAA history to throw for over 40 TD's and 4,000 yards, also won 4 awards his senior season including the Johnny Unitas award, was named WAC offensive player of the year, and first team WAC.
Old 01-12-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
That's funny because Daunte Culpepper lost Matt Birk for the season and was not nearly the same player. He was being rushed a lot more and was being pressured and his stats showed it by throwing 6 touchdowns compared to 12 interceptions in the first 7 games.

So you're saying you wouldn't trade David Carr for Dante??
Old 01-12-2006   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
So you're saying you wouldn't trade David Carr for Dante??

I really don't know. I don't know how much of Daunte's success is do to Randy Moss and how much of Carr's failures are do to his line. I'd like a full season where Daunte had no Randy and where Carr had a line to make my decision.
Old 01-12-2006   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe that Vince breaks the mold and there is no comp. more a combination of all the best attributes- the leadership of Joe Montana, the pocket strength of Terry Bradshaw, the running ability of Michael Vic, the throwing accuracy on the run of John Elway & someday consecutive Superbowl Championships of a Tom Brady & Troy Aikmen
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

And the arm strength of 2005 Chad Pennington
Old 01-12-2006   #15
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Yeah I would take Carr over Culpepper I mean the guy lost Moss and does horrible. Carr lost AJ for most of the season, but still posted decent #s. Culpepper had the opportunity to do well this year and didn't capitalize on it. Injury aside when Johnson took over they as a team improved. If Carr is out of the game and they put in Banks I almost want to change channels to avoid having my retinas explode from what I have to put them through. Leftwich is out and Garrard put up good #'s and beleive it or not I think if Garrard had been in during the Pats game they would have had a better opportunity. I'm not a die hard Carr fan and if they draft VY, then cool. In my opinion though Carr has proven he has talent, untapped talent, but I believe it's there. Also thunder kiss get off the gas man. McNabb and Culpepper did well, because they had good coaching and talent around them. They can step back and see the pocket crumbling, Carr can't do that. What Carr does is step back and start counting clouds because there is no pocket in his world and after the momentary loss of consciousness after a hit he didn't see coming the only comfort he can take in this world is that the clouds won't fail him.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #16
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Excellent post. This is the most relevant comparison thread I've seen thus far. Thanks for the info.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #17
Long-Spurs-Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
And the arm strength of 2005 Chad Pennington
Who are you talking about?
Old 01-13-2006   #18
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I believe that Vince breaks the mold and there is no comp. more a combination of all the best attributes- the leadership of Joe Montana, the pocket strength of Terry Bradshaw, the running ability of Michael Vic, the throwing accuracy on the run of John Elway & someday consecutive Superbowl Championships of a Tom Brady & Troy Aikmen
Let's not get carried away with the comparisons. I refuse to say he has the leadership of Joe Montana until he wins a couple Super Bowls (I am reluctantly beginning to admit Brady is getting to Montana's elite class here). I don't really know what you mean by pocket strength either, and I'm not real sure how he compares to Terry Bradshaw anyways. Vince does not have quite the same running ability of Vick, his top straight-line speed they may be about equal but Vick is much quicker, and his smaller size makes him more elusive, albeit not quite as strong of a runner as Vince. I don't see him throw on the run very much, maybe I've just missed it but I haven't seen it, and either way I refuse to compare him to a John Elway considering he hasn't played an NFL down yet. Anyways, Vince should be a very good NFL QB, but to bring in all these legendary, hall of fame QBs and compare Vince to the "combination of their best abilities" is a little ridiculous and definitely premature in my mind.

As for the Carr/Culpepper debate, I think Culpepper needs a certain type of offense and a dominant WR, then he can put up amazing #s (like he did in 2004), but otherwise I think he has had a tendency to have very sub-par years (2005 and a couple of his seasons before 2004), not to mention I think he has no leadership and is very weak-minded, in the sense that he gets rattled very easily and allows himself to be taken out of games and sulk when things don't go his way. Carr has taken a lot of knocks in his four years but he has never started crying on the sideline like Culpepper almost has a few times. I think Culpepper maybe has the potential to put up legendary numbers in the right system that Carr might not be able to quite attain (again look at 2004), but Carr overall can fit into a variety of systems better, and I think Carr in Minnesota's 2004 system would have put up fairly comparable numbers.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default List Re-Do

List Re-Do

Anyway, here are the stats of VY and various people he has been compared to and their draft positions etc (many of these comparisons I do not get at all):

Vince Young (last college season), Drafted ???? 6 5 230 lbs

3036 passing yards
65.2 completion percentage
325 attempts for 212 completions, 9.3 av yards per attempt
26 passing TDs with 10 INTs
155 rushes for 1050 yards, 6.8 av yards per attempt, 12 rushing TDs

Donovan McNabb (last college season): Drafted 2nd, 62 240 lbs

2326 passing yards
60.85 completion percentage
281 attempts for 171 completions, 8.3 av yards per attempt
23 passing TDs with 6 INTs
155 rushes for 510 yards, 3.3 av yards per attempt, 8 rushing TDs

Daunte Culpepper (last college season) Drafted 11th, 64. 264 lbs:

3690 passing yards
73.63 completion percentage
402 attempts for 296 completions, 9.2 av yards per attempt
28 passing TDs with 7 INTs
141 rushes for 463 yards, 3.3 av yards per attempt, 12 rushing TDs

Against the following opponents:

at Louisiana Tech
Eastern Illinois
at Purdue
at Bowling Green
at Toledo
Northern Illinois
at SW Louisiana
Youngstown St.
at Auburn
Ball St.
New Mexico

There were a lot of questions about his development because of his competition--which partially explains his draft position. IIRC, some people thought that the Vikings were reaching picking a QB in the first round because they already had Jeff George and Randall Cunningham.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo.../12/culpepper/

Mike Vick (last college season), Drafted 1st, 60, 214 lbs

1439 passing yards
54.19 completion percentage
179 attempts for 97 completions, 8.0 av yards per attempt
9 passing TDs with 7 INTs
113 rushes for 636 yards, 5.6 av yards per attempt, 9 rushing TDs

Akili Smith (last college season), Drafted 3rd, 63, 220 lbs

3763 passing yards
57.95 completion percentage
371 attempts for 215 completion , 10.1 av yards per attempt
32 passing TDs with 9 INTs
82 rushes for 184 yards, 2.2 av yards per attempt, 4 rushing TDs

Ben Roethlisberger (last college season), Drafted 11th, 6'5", 241 lbs

3034 passing yards
64.4 completion percentage
396 attempts for 255 completions, 7.7 av yards per attempt
21 passing TDs with 11 INTs
70 rushes for -77 yards, -1.1 av yards per attempt,

David Carr (last college season-including bowl game), Drafted 1st, 6'3", 220lbs

4830 passing yards
64.5 completion percentage
532 attempts for 343 completions, 9.1 av yards per attempt
46 passing TDs with 9 INTs
93 rushes for 74 yards, .8 av yards per attempt, 5 rushing TDs[/quote]
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #20
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Stats don't tell the whole story, but it's all you have to go off of until they take a snap in the NFL.

Looks like VY had comparable passing yards, comp.%, etc. to McNabb, Culpepper and BenR. And way better than Vick.

PLUS he has a LOT more rushing yards than everyone, including Vick. I'm so sick of the "He's a run first QB". Looks like he puts up just as many passing yards as the others. People just can't understand that just b/c he runs well doesn't mean he can't pass. He looks for the pass just as much as all of these others do; he just adds an extra weapon by being able to run better than any of them when the pass isn't there.
AustinJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read