Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-12-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default How good could Morency get?

I'm just wondering what the sense of Morency's prospects are. He looked OK, or better than OK in the SF game. Does he have a good chance to stick and switch off with Davis at the RB position?
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Id say that its impossible to tell at this point.

1. We havent seen enough of him to know how many carries he can take.

2. Can he catch the ball out of the backfield? ive no idea.

3. Does he have homerun speed? id say no..maybe from 15-20 yards out..but im not sure.

4. Will he ever stop slipping? Until he does..im not even prepared to start him over Wells.

5. How much can be cured with coaching and how much is just the way he is?

All in all.. id say its possible. Just as it is possible that Mathis could become a better receiver than AJ and Wand could become our best lineman.... meaning.. feasible.. but I couldnt firmly place him in one camp or the other. (the "camps" being starter material, and not starter material)
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Id say that its impossible to tell at this point.

1. We havent seen enough of him to know how many carries he can take.

2. Can he catch the ball out of the backfield? ive no idea.

3. Does he have homerun speed? id say no..maybe from 15-20 yards out..but im not sure.

4. Will he ever stop slipping? Until he does..im not even prepared to start him over Wells.

5. How much can be cured with coaching and how much is just the way he is?

All in all.. id say its possible. Just as it is possible that Mathis could become a better receiver than AJ and Wand could become our best lineman.... meaning.. feasible.. but I couldnt firmly place him in one camp or the other. (the "camps" being starter material, and not starter material)
Grid, I just read one of his scouting reports from before the draft and it says that he ran a 4.67 40. It also says he does not have natural hands to catch the ball with out of the backfield.
Old 01-12-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

in that case.. id say no.. he will always be a backup.. unless he manages to run the ball as well as DD and acquires some other useful skill.. like pass blocking.

Other than that.. he will always be inferior to DD.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #5
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am somewhat sceptical when it comes to scouting reports. These are subjective, and often lacking, reports concerning prospect players. It's when people take scouting reports as "truth" that the "facts" that they state becomes hyped, and leads to late round picks becoming great stars, and first round picks flopping.

Scouting reports are just that, reports. They are based on a fairly small amount of observations (3 of five catches = tendency to drop?) and should be regarded just as that. They are indicators, not truth.
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #6
Samer
Veteran

I think he will be a good backup but I don't think he is near good enough to compete with Davis for the starting job.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #7
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

the thing i noticed about him was that he never gave up on trying to get more yards, he would always try to break free and get the extra yards, but i think he is a good back up i dont see him being a starter
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2006   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I'd list him in the "shows potential" category.
Old 01-12-2006   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

He may be fastest 4.67 guy I have seen. He hits the hole pretty darn quick and in college, yes it was not the NFL, he outran guys once he had them shoulder to shoulder.

I find it odd that a 14th round Baseball prospect for outfield would not have good hands. And yes I understand the shapes of a football and baseball are inherently different.
Old 01-12-2006   #10
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Morency is a lot better than what people believe that he is.. he is faster than DD and has better juke moves to get away from defenders to pick up extra yards while DD has below average speed, and would perfer to run you over for extra yards rather than juke.

They both are good recievers out the back field.. Morency is just a quicker DD..
Old 01-12-2006   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

If Kubiak comes to Houston, Morency will be pretty darn good in the offense. You have to think he will be a Bell clone.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #12
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
If Kubiak comes to Houston, Morency will be pretty darn good in the offense. You have to think he will be a Bell clone.
That is funny because I was saying the same thing. I had even forgotten that they both went to OSU.
Old 01-12-2006   #13
HeartofHouston
Veteran

and the same way that Bell picked up the offense it should be just like that with Morency..
Old 01-12-2006   #14
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
And yes I understand the shapes of a football and baseball are inherently different.
Come on Kaiser, now you're just fooling with me!
Old 01-12-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy
Come on Kaiser, now you're just fooling with me!
I kid, I kid.
Old 01-12-2006   #16
Malloy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I kid, I kid.
Getting so confused here!
Old 01-12-2006   #17
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Grid, I just read one of his scouting reports from before the draft and it says that he ran a 4.67 40. It also says he does not have natural hands to catch the ball with out of the backfield.
He was recovering from a hamstring injury when he ran that 4.67...He hurt it before the combine, so he didn't run there, and he wasn't fully healed when he ran at Miami's pro day...

He shows promise, but I don't know if I like the idea of a Davis/Morency backfield...
Old 01-12-2006   #18
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Morency is our fastest RB other than T Hollings who shouldnt even be a Texan next season..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #19
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Seems ok to me. Don't really know that much about him. You really can't use the SF game as a measuring stick. I'd say wait until spring training an look at him again.

I will say that I am not too keen on his running style. Morency does that spin thing at the point of contact alot. Its just bad form.

Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

With Kubiak in control.....

We'll need all the RBs we can keep. You'll see DD, Wells, and Morency each having lots of carries and in the gameplan a lot more than they were.

Fresh legs is the key. Change of pace is a factor, too.

Notice how when the coaches were fired after the last game of the season, you never saw Kubiak's name mentioned with ANY OTHER TEAM as a potential replacement?

I think the media and the NFL in general knows that Kubiak and Houston are just built for each other.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read