Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-11-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up HPF: "Should the Texans Hold 'Em?" (good article about VY/Bush and an OL

Quote:
This is a lean year at the top of the NFL draft. The Houston Texans will lavish untold millions on either an incomplete running back or an incomplete quarterback, further slowing what they really ought to do, which is to trade down and rebuild their porous offensive line.

IMO.. very good and reasonable article

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/review/review40.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hooray! A logical piece of information for a change. Both Bush and Young have some glaring flaws, which other teams seem to be willing to ignore so we could get years worths of drafts out of our #1 pick
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #3
bdiddy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf

The premise that this years draft is lean at the top is ridiculous. It is widely agreed that there are three legit players that could be number #1 choices in any given year: (1) VY, (2) Bush, and (3) Leinart. Any of these three players would easily have been taken over Alex Smith last year. This is the deepest draft in the last 5-8 years. The article is advocating a fair point of getting good help at other positions, but its initial premise is incorrect and makes me wary of its validity.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #4
Texans86
All Pro

This is one of the most logical pieces I have read or head from anyone in the media. Thank you for bringing it to light, and I hope everyone in this forum takes the time to read it. Take the five minutes, it's worth it.
It's hard to believe theres people out there that can look past the glitz and glamour and look at the player, from both a positive and negative side.
Old 01-12-2006   #5
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf

This is nothing I haven't said from day one.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess we are the minority here...
Old 01-12-2006   #7
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I guess we are the minority here...
You know what? I thought the same thing, then I saw a poll in another post that had a mojority (by a long shot) working on OL and keeping Carr. The other choices included various versions of draft Vince and/or Bush and/or trade for picks. I think we've just gotten tired of argueing what we see as the "obvious". at the end of April, all of this will die down (haha).
Old 01-12-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd have no complaints if the pick was traded for some stellar deal that puts many quality players on our team. At the end of the day, the team concept is what wins championships in the NFL. No single player can do it alone, regardless of his talent.

That being said, I don't have a lot of confidence in Casserly to not only make a great deal for the pick, but to pick up the right players for our team.
Old 01-12-2006   #9
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
That being said, I don't have a lot of confidence in Casserly to not only make a great deal for the pick, but to pick up the right players for our team.
The good news here is that I believe that CC has basically been casterated. He will have a LOT of help making the picks. Kubiak, Reeves and McNair will all be involved. I also give CC a BIT of a pass on some of the previouse picks, because I firmly believe he was unduly influenced/pressured by what has been proven to have been an incompetent coaching staff. I look for a MUCH better draft this year.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #10
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

That was a very good read. Thanks for the link. Very rarely do you have a college football player come in that is the complete package. When reading player's profiles (predraft) there are always strengths and weaknesses. I have seen Vince improve greatly as a passer over the last two years and knowing what kind of heart he has, I think he will succeed as a QB in the NFL. I really prefer that we don't draft either one of them. Vince, because I think we have a more than capable QB. Just like Posey was a product of the system, I think David Carr has been a victim of the system, or lack thereof. With Reggie, I would hate to spend the #1 pick of the draft on a dare I say, "tweener". Trade down a couple of spots, fill some real needs.
Old 01-28-2006   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I bumped the wrong read earlier.. this is article was for the VY or nothing crowd or the Bush or nothing crowd
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

good article. some thoughts...

1. Bush wont HAVE to be an every down back here.. and word is that he is up to 208 pounds. He could end up being 215 or so after a year in the NFL. So he could last longer than 10 years. In our system, Bush will get less wear and tear on him than he would get in alot of others.

2. I agree with his assessment that the team who takes VY is going to have to change their offense to work for him. This is the problem that is at the root of my aversion to taking him.

3. Dbrick isnt the only guy available on a trade down. Williams (the answer at DE when we switch to a 4-3) and Hawk (the answer at MLB and the leader we have needed on defense) are also possibilities.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #13
Bronco Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 29 Bronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Bronco Texan Send a message via Yahoo to Bronco Texan

I could go for either D'brick or Hawk. Every championship team has a star left tackle. Hawk would give us a Al Wilson type player. Either would work for me.
Bronco Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #14
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the link. Good read!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
good article. some thoughts...

1. Bush wont HAVE to be an every down back here.. and word is that he is up to 208 pounds. He could end up being 215 or so after a year in the NFL. So he could last longer than 10 years. In our system, Bush will get less wear and tear on him than he would get in alot of others.

2. I agree with his assessment that the team who takes VY is going to have to change their offense to work for him. This is the problem that is at the root of my aversion to taking him.

3. Dbrick isnt the only guy available on a trade down. Williams (the answer at DE when we switch to a 4-3) and Hawk (the answer at MLB and the leader we have needed on defense) are also possibilities.
Good takes. I agree with all three points.

The more I look at trading down to get more bang for our buck, the more appealing this option is to me. It's not like we are an established team that just needs one player to put us over the top. We are a team with lots of holes to fill, and the stellar talents of both VY and RB are not what we necessarily need at this time.

D'brick or Williams would be awesome first round picks, and I'd have no problem if they traded down for either of these two players.
Old 01-28-2006   #16
barzilla
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I'd have no complaints if the pick was traded for some stellar deal that puts many quality players on our team. At the end of the day, the team concept is what wins championships in the NFL. No single player can do it alone, regardless of his talent.

That's interesting because I heard the exact same point made on Charlie Pulilo's show on Friday. His response was reasoned and very lucid. Basically, he said that if you can't trust your draft guy to make the right selections with the extra picks then why would you keep him as your personnel guy? Bob McNair made more than a billion dollars by having quality people around him. He isn't going to keep Casserly around unless he really does believe he could do it.

I'm fine with all three options myself. I prefer Bush out of the three choices, but if someone comes in with a Hershal Walker or Ricky Williams deal you CAN'T turn that down. With the number of bad contracts we have this might be a two year project anyway. We can always lay the foundation now and then get the skill position players next year.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #17
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

If Kubiak thinks he can make it work this year with DD, Morency and a re-signed Wells, trade-down is a lot more likely. You think talk radio and mb's are blowin' up now? Even though there's a solid case to be made for a trade down, we will all have to head for the underground shelters if that happens ...
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzilla
That's interesting because I heard the exact same point made on Charlie Pulilo's show on Friday. His response was reasoned and very lucid. Basically, he said that if you can't trust your draft guy to make the right selections with the extra picks then why would you keep him as your personnel guy? Bob McNair made more than a billion dollars by having quality people around him. He isn't going to keep Casserly around unless he really does believe he could do it.
That's a good point (Palillo is always good with points, 'eh?). There was another thread around here that had a story from Washington which mentioned that Casserly is a pushover with his head coach. Meaning that his job was more about acquiring the talent that the coaches picked, as opposed to making the decision on his own talent evaluation.

This would actually make sense when wondering why Mr. McNair kept him on board. If Casserly's job was to get the players that Capers & Co. wanted, then he can't really be blamed (per say). His role in the organization could be what it is, and Mr. McNair understands that concept (much like a board of directors at a large corporation). Casserly's job is now focussed on getting the players that Coach Kubiak wants on his team.
Old 01-28-2006   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
If Kubiak thinks he can make it work this year with DD, Morency and a re-signed Wells, trade-down is a lot more likely. You think talk radio and mb's are blowin' up now? Even though there's a solid case to be made for a trade down, we will all have to head for the underground shelters if that happens ...
I'm currently in process stocking the cellers now with top quality homebrew, no telling what the run on supplies will be once the draft hits the fan
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #20
SESupergenius

I understand almost every scenario for us in this draft. There are way to many avenues we go with this 1st pick and somebody is going to be whinning after it is made. There is a small group here that understands this and will be happy with either of the scenarios. I want us to trade down and get D'Brick or D'Angelo if we have a good package, but I'm not going to fly off the wall if we pick Bush. Heck, I would even be ok if we picked Vince Young if we only Franchised Carr for a year. The point is, Texas fans need to understand that and not be pouty if VY isn't selected.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read