Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-11-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default John McClain flip-flopping on VY-Carr-Reggie controversy !

"After this season, Carr's marketability isn't all that high, anyway."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3579159.html
Remember just a short time ago when McClain was chanting "Reggie ! Reggie !", whenever he came on 610, and saying other things like
NFL teams would be standing in line to sign Carr if the Texans didn't pick up
his option. Well we know after the Rose Bowl he now says "Reggie Who" ?
Now he's saying Carr has no marketetabilty. That just shot the hell out of his
credibility with me. What a shame, just another "journalist" flipping on a issue to sell papers.
And I thought he went to Baylor - sounds more like someone from that school on 290
about 190 NW of Houston.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #2
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Are you kidding? He is ESPN material all the way.
Old 01-11-2006   #3
LCOOL
Rookie

Talking jM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Remember just a short time ago when McClain was chanting "Reggie ! Reggie !", whenever he came on 610, and saying other things like
credibility with me. What a shame, just another "journalist" flipping on a issue to sell papers.
And I thought he went to Baylor - sounds more like someone from that school on 290
about 190 NW of Houston.
John Mclaine is John Kerry in disguise!
LCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #4
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

this is why i dont believe him or justice and was trying to get others not to listen to them.... trust me we trade down it will get us some better talent for Kubiak and Reeves.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #5
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
about 190 NW of Houston.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/col...udoc_brief.php

Here's a link to America's Best Colleges 2006, with UT-Austin ahead of Baylor and-of course-we all know about the Baylor Bear football team--when was their last winning season?
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the link nunu. Not much here all sides have not heard before on this board.

Couple of things to keep in mind: Reggie Bush has until Sunday to declare and we need a Head Coach named. We may know each of these Sunday night, then it turns to DC's contract.
Old 01-11-2006   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77470 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

This is supposed to be a surprise?

This is what I can't stand about those Chronic sportswriters, McClain, Justice or Lopez, any of the three. They are nothing but bandwagon hacks who flop around more than a caught redfish on the Galveston T-head.

You just watch, you mark my fricken word. A month from now, after the VY euphoria perfect storm blows through, and as more and more fans start to have 2nd thoughts about who they should take . . . watch them start to have 2nd thoughts, too.

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2006   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't trust he or Justice but one reason could just be from sources. If you talk to NFL guys during the season and then later some of them might not see the market for Carr, thus he reports it. I think alot of people, posters here particularly, were looking at Bush because VY was pretty much going back for his senior year. Now they are scouting him. Actually I heard McClain say the opposite yesterday about Carr and he said if we kept him and he performed well this year we could get a #1 for him the next year(if we took VY). Justice is just a Skip Bayless wannabe, sad.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #9
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 31401 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone forgot about one thing:

Gary Kubiak - Aggie
Vince Young - Longhorn

IT WOULD NEVER WORK

I am a graduate of Cougar high, so I am impartial.
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
I don't trust he or Justice but one reason could just be from sources.
That's the problem with McClain...someone has to give him his opinion. He isn't a real astute observer of the game, so if he gets poor information he doesn't have enough insight and conviction to use his own head...he just goes with what he hears...and really, that's pretty smart of him in lieu of his innate lack of feel for the game. This kind of a journalist will tend to flip positions often. He knows a ton of people and has good stories from the past…that’s the only think I get from reading John. I take everything he says with a grain...or two.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #11
djkennedy101
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullRed
Everyone forgot about one thing:

Gary Kubiak - Aggie
Vince Young - Longhorn

IT WOULD NEVER WORK

I am a graduate of Cougar high, so I am impartial.
Ha Ha......LOL.....good point...until the money is dangled in front of them
Old 01-11-2006   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys can at least make a small effort to stay on topic...it's tough when every single thread turns into the same thread.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #13
LCOOL
Rookie

Quote:
about 190 NW of Houston.
Heres a quote from Mclaine:
[B]Keep Carr[/b]
While Young would be learning what it takes to play quarterback in the NFL without becoming the most sacked quarterback in the league, Carr would be auditioning for other teams that would be interested in acquiring him in 2007.

The worst thing the Texans could do would be to draft Young and trade Carr.

After this season, Carr's marketability isn't all that high, anyway.

With Kubiak coaching him, Carr's play might improve dramatically and enhance his trade value.

In Kubiak's first season, the Texans would improve faster with Carr and Bush.

But having Young watching and learning as a rookie as McNair, Palmer and Rivers did who wouldn't be eagerly anticipating his first season as a starter in 2007?

Some fans think the Texans would take a step back with Young. A step back from what? A 2-14 record?

The bottom line is this: When the worst you can do is Reggie Bush, how can you lose?

John McClain covers the Texans and the NFL for the Chronicle. john.mcclain@chron.com

Does Mclaine get his flip-flopping advice from Johnn Kerry?
LCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I don't put much stock in anything this city's journalists print anymore. McClain hit upon something here though (when you throw darts, eventually you'll hit something) - IF we are going to use the #1 pick and not trade down for a stud left tackle (which I advocate), then I'd prefer to see a scenario in which they draft Young and keep Carr. Play Carr for a year or two under a good coaching staff and improved line play, then make your decision based upon your evaluations at that point. I am an advocate of keeping Carr, but as I've said many times, it is less about Carr than it is about fixing the foundation (the lines) of this team before we make a decision about skill positions.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #15
geofb
Veteran

McClain is the worst. Can't stand him. He talks as though he knows everything but knows little.

2 quick things on McClain. Remember the opening weekend game between the Ravens and Colts? McClain gave a long winded explanation as to why the Ravens were a great team and they were going to hand the Colts their head on a platter in that opening game. Oh well.

Also, has anyone noticed that McClain picks every game against the spread and then tallys up how he did on a season to date basis in the Chronicle? When you are picking against the spread, it is difficult to deviate very far from 50% over the course of a season. If you can average 55% over a season that is good, 60% would be fantastic. Have you seen Mr. Know It All McClain's results? I forget what the exact numbers were but it was way less than 50%. It might have been less than 40%. Flipping a coin for every game should get you real close to 50% over a season (plus or minus a little). His results are astoundingly awful for someone who seems to think they know everything about the NFL. It should be listed in the paper in the next day or two when he picks the upcoming weekends playoff game. Look at his % against the spread if you want a good laugh. It is very difficult to do as poorly as he has done over the course of a season at picking games.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #16
exclude
Veteran

Yes, Mcclain is a homer, but so is Justice.

So is Rich Lord on 610, who called Vince "God" on radio. All of these guys have flipped from the pre-Rose Bowl game position of taking Bush.

I mean lets face it, most of us, (excluding me, look at my sig) have flipped from our position after that game as well as every new poster who now calls himself a Texan fan on this MB.

I mean the fortunes of 4 people(White, Young, Bush, Lienart) have changed since that game.

My point: most of us have flip-flopped. Some of us just have a bigger a forum to tell people.
Old 01-11-2006   #17
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't really bother me, I change my mind about Bush vs Young on a daily basis now.

And these guys are paid for opinions about sports. I think you're allowed to change your mind. It's not like he's saying he's for abortion one day and then against it the other. We're talking about college prospects here...
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #18
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Yeah I couldn't believe that Rich Lord called Vince Young God yesterday.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #19
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclude
Yes, Mcclain is a homer, but so is Justice.

So is Rich Lord on 610, who called Vince "God" on radio. All of these guys have flipped from the pre-Rose Bowl game position of taking Bush.

I mean lets face it, most of us, (excluding me, look at my sig) have flipped from our position after that game as well as every new poster who now calls himself a Texan fan on this MB.

I mean the fortunes of 4 people(White, Young, Bush, Lienart) have changed since that game.

My point: most of us have flip-flopped. Some of us just have a bigger a forum to tell people.

Rich Lord loved Vince before the Rose Bowl. He has always said if Vince came out this year the Texans should draft him but he also did say that he thought Vince would stay in school. Now that Vince is coming out, he is just making sure veryone knows his feelings.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I would add that McClain is an aquired taste some of it ages well while some goes sour, oxidized or even pungent (oh sorry was I drifting off subject ).

McClain has creds & is a good sounding board with a broad range of sources plus he is a
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read