Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-10-2006   #1
yaboycm
Veteran

Default The 2006 Houston Texans

Here is what you do.....

Round 1 - Vince Young. Period.

Why? In just under 3 FULL SEASONS of college experience this guy has improved possibly MORE than any other Quarterback in college history. When Vince came in he was a run first, run second, pass third quarterback. Since then he has evolved into the GREATEST AND MOST COMPLETE QUARTERBACK IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL. He is now a pass first, run second quarterback. His patience and field vision is like no other. If the #1 target is open, he hits it, if not, he checks down to his other receivers. If they are not open or if the defense quickly applies pressure he is able to make plays with his legs like no quarterback in the history of the game. The thing that separates Young from guys like Vick and Carr is his patience and field vision. This patience, vision, and ACCURACY has improved greatly over the last 3 seasons. There is no reason to think that Vince will not continue to develop into a GREAT NFL Quarterback. A double threat quarterback is a defensive coordinator's worst nightmare. AJ will get more 1-1 coverage because they will use a LB or Safety to spy Vince, enabling more 1-1 coverage for all receivers. AJ VS any corner in the league 1-1 is a favorable and desired matchup for the Texans. With Vince Young at Quarterback Andre Johnson will evolve into at least a top 5 receiver in the league like we all desire.

2006: With Carr re-signed you sit Young for 10-12 games of the season, let him learn the NFL game on the practice field and in the film room. Then, you throw him out there for the last 4-6 games and let him work his magic. This will be beneficial to his development and confidence. It worked at Texas didn't it?

Then, you trade Carr for a pick. Depending on his performance next season, this pick could be a 1,2,3, or in worst case scenario Carr plays like he did this season and nobody will want him. But then again, you will always have *****s on TV who don't even watch the Texans talking about Carr and his potential, so you should get something for him. 2007 becomes Vince Young's year. If you can trade Carr this offseason, do that. This team is in rebuilding mode and Tony Banks or some other drifter would be fine to have at quarterback for most of next season. A top 5 pick next year is nothing to complain about.

A Houston team already passed on the GREATEST Basketball player ever in Michael Jordan. There is no reason why another Houston team should pass on the Michael Jordan of the NFL draft.

Round 2 - Trade down. Pick up a 2 later in the round and add another pick. This team is in rebuilding mode. They need as many young players as possible to gel together.
With that 2nd round pick - Receiver. AJ is your big play and deep threat. Mathis is a speed guy and deep threat. Draft the best position receiver available. Demetrius Williams and Mike Hass were the #1 receivers on their respective Oregon team. Both will benefit from getting 1-1 coverage. Great hand from both. I like Hass. He just catches the ball and is athletic. He struggled when teams concentrated on stopping him (Doubling him), but that won't happen with Andre Johnson and Vince Young on the field.

Round 3 - David Thomas - TE, Texas. This team NEEDS A TE. Vince Young's favorite target is a great place to start, like I have been saying all year. I think the Rose Bowl proved that. Great hands, athletic, and good size. Nuff said.

David Thomas is a guy you MUST draft. Another one is...
Dwayne Slay - S, Texas Tech. This guy is a Roy Williams type who is better in coverage. I went to the Cotton Bowl and saw this guy "hit someone on Alabama so hard, the guy got up and started walking over to the Tech sideline." You can use this guy to blitz or bring him up close to the line to help stop the run. You can put this guy on Dunta's side, blitz him, and leave Dunta on an island. Dunta's so underrated, when the Texans get good people will realize he is one of the best young corners in the game.

Other positions to draft:
Speed corner
Offensive Lineman - Best prospect in the 4th round. Throw him in there from day one and let him develop.
Front 7 on defense, athletic DE, and speed LB.
Old 01-10-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboycm

2006: With Carr re-signed you sit Young for 10-12 games of the season, let him learn the NFL game on the practice field and in the film room. Then, you throw him out there for the last 4-6 games and let him work his magic. This will be beneficial to his development and confidence. It worked at Texas didn't it?

Then, you trade Carr for a pick. Depending on his performance next season, this pick could be a 1,2,3, or in worst case scenario Carr plays like he did this season and nobody will want him. But then again, you will always have *****s on TV who don't even watch the Texans talking about Carr and his potential, so you should get something for him. 2007 becomes Vince Young's year. If you can trade Carr this offseason, do that. This team is in rebuilding mode and Tony Banks or some other drifter would be fine to have at quarterback for most of next season. A top 5 pick next year is nothing to complain about.
Man, just because it worked at Texas means it'll work here in Houston

[/SARCASM]

The Texans won't draft Vince and let him sit behind Carr for a year. You think Carr would like that, knowing he's a lame duck QB. He won't tolerate that, and I don't blame him, he shouldn't tolerate it. IF the Texans do decide to get Vince Young, they will either cut Carr and not get any compensation, or sign Carr to one of his options and trade him, which will then force the Texans to take a huge cap hit.

My opinion is that they should (and will, IMO) either sign Bush or trade down. Carr is not the Texans' biggest need. We have a good QB, one who hasn't had any weapons (other than AJ and DD) and protection in any of the 4 years. Vince Young wouldn't do much better with the team we have now.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #3
Jerry
Veteran

Vision is easy to have when you play out of the shotgun and have a week-and-a-half to make your reads. Lets see what he can do under center with a two frantic seconds before he has to start running. I also would like to see how he takes a hit. He doesn't get hit much in the NCAA, and, although he is monstrous at 6-5/240, I imagine that hard hits by LB's/safeties in the NFL who will have much better tackling skills will wear on him and his tendency to scramble. Oh yeah, and I love how two great games make him the "GREATEST AND MOST COMPLETE QUARTERBACK IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL."

A few other things...

Do you really think a 4th round o-lineman can start (even with our poor line, that is a bit of a stretch unless we find an absolute gem)?

As for the MJ pick, I think that many GM's at that time would have picked Hakeem over MJ. He did bring two titles to Houston ya know..

I like Thomas though, although Slay may be a bit slow and is not a FS type (we already have an SS, or two). I would go o-line in round 2 instead of WR.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

hey, yaboycm...what happened to your "bush now" lovefest?

take it easy, its been a while since i've seen you post.
Old 01-10-2006   #5
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

lets just draft all of the Longhorns!!!!

hey.. the won in college... right?
Old 01-10-2006   #6
LoneStarState
Veteran

UT Troller's Mock Draft, 2006

Pick 1: Vince Young, UT
Pick 2: Player from UT
Pick 3: Player from UT
Pick 3b: Player from UT
Pick 4: Player from UT
Pick 5: Trade down for Player from UT
Pick 6: Player from UT
Pick 7: Player from UT

And of course, signing undrafted FAs - all from UT.

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
Old 01-10-2006   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarState

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
Don't forget, we have to hire Mack Brown as our head coach. And Gene Chizik as our DC. And Greg Davis as our OC. And just for the fun of it, lets take Major Applewhite away from Rice and let him be our QB coach.
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2006   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
A Houston team already passed on the GREATEST Basketball player ever in Michael Jordan. There is no reason why another Houston team should pass on the Michael Jordan of the NFL draft.
Didn't they pass up Michael Jordan for a local player (I know Hakeem is from Lagos, Nigeria but you know what I mean)?

Maybe Vince is Hakeem and Reggie is Michael?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #9
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Didn't they pass up Michael Jordan for a local player (I know Hakeem is from Lagos, Nigeria but you know what I mean)?

Maybe Vince is Hakeem and Reggie is Michael?
Or maybe Vince is Sam Bowie...
Old 01-10-2006   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

This board has become like that Monty Python "Spam" skit except it's "Vince, Vince, Vince, Vince...."

Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
I wouldn't mind taking David Thomas and it has nothing to do with him being a longhorn, He is very solid and slightly underated, he reminds me of J. Witten

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #12
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
I wouldn't mind taking David Thomas and it has nothing to do with him being a longhorn, He is very solid and slightly underated, he reminds me of J. Witten
Actually, I would rather draft David Thomas rather than Vince Young. We NEED a Tight End who can catch, block and run.

Last edited by LoneStarState; 01-10-2006 at 10:59 PM.
LoneStarState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Well if we don't draft Bush we might have to spend the rest of our picks on Longhorns and local Houston players just to appease the Longhorn fans.
Old 01-10-2006   #14
bigcarlos
Veteran

Quote:
Or maybe Vince is Sam Bowie...
We already have a Sam Bowie, he wears # 8
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #15
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
This board has become like that Monty Python "Spam" skit except it's "Vince, Vince, Vince, Vince...."

On sportradio 610 they ran a spot where it usually says "Sports Radio 610, all sports, all the time." Today it said "Vince Young 610, all Vince, all the time." Just think of it like this: Only about 93 more days.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
On sportradio 610 they ran a spot where it usually says "Sports Radio 610, all sports, all the time." Today it said "Vince Young 610, all Vince, all the time." Just think of it like this: Only about 93 more days.
I can't wait until those 93 days are at an end. I'll be first in line to get my Reggie Bush jersey!
Old 01-10-2006   #17
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

First it was Lienart... Hes the best QB ever, He will take us to the Superbowl his rookie season.
Second it's Bush... Hes the greatest running back ever in the NFL, except he hasn't played in the NFL yet.(Just like Jopprou is the best TE in the league)
Now it's Young... Hes the greatest QB ever, except passing is the second best thing he does, He will run all over the NFL just like Steve Mcnair did (who is hurt ALL THE TIME)
Who is it next for yaboycm, the question lingers on... (ring the twilight zone music)
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #18
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan
First it was Lienart... Hes the best QB ever, He will take us to the Superbowl his rookie season.
Second it's Bush... Hes the greatest running back ever in the NFL, except he hasn't played in the NFL yet.(Just like Jopprou is the best TE in the league)
Now it's Young... Hes the greatest QB ever, except passing is the second best thing he does, He will run all over the NFL just like Steve Mcnair did (who is hurt ALL THE TIME)
Who is it next for yaboycm, the question lingers on... (ring the twilight zone music)

Calvin Johnson next year.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing him on the team.
Old 01-10-2006   #19
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Well if we don't draft Bush we might have to spend the rest of our picks on Longhorns and local Houston players just to appease the Longhorn fans.
I keep seeing posts by people that aren't Longhorn fans that want Vince Young. I keep seeing a lot of these same people saying that they want Vince because they think he's the best player in the draft, NOT because he's from Houston. But then again, I'm sure you have too.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #20
yaboycm
Veteran

For all the haters, things change. That's why they play the game. That's why we watch. After last season, Leinart was the best available. Then Bush proved his versitility. Then Vince put a team on his back and carried them to a national championship. After watching a season can you not change your mind of who is better? If not, why don't we just draft the top guy from high school 4 years ago. Wait! That would be Vince. As I recall my sig did say "Bush 06. Young 07." Young is just the better player. Take him. Oh yeah, when a team wins a national championship, it's kind of hard not to want the top players off that team. I didn't call out for trading up to get Huff.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read