Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-10-2006   #1
thague
Rookie

Default Here's my position

First off, I did see the Rose Bowl in which Vince Young threw for 267 yards ran for 200 more and pretty much dominated the game. It was one of the most incredible performances that I have ever seen. However, Vince Young is not an option for the Houston Texans with the number one overall pick. Here's my reasoning:
The Texans already have a solid quarterback in David Carr. I know that he has his doubters, but there are very few signal callers in the NFL that could do much behind such a porous offensive line. In Carr's third season he threw for 3500 yards behind an offensive line that gave up 30 less sacks than this season's team. 3500 yards and a 60% completion percentage, those are good numbers, not average but good numbers with a decent offensive line. Why should we draft Vince Young, although i do think he will be a sensational pro, when we have a solid quarterback already? That would not be logical.

Option number two for the Texans is the Texans selecting Heisman Trophy Winner Reggie Bush with the first overall pick. This is an interesting idea in that in getting Bush the Texans get one of the most explosive college football players in recent memory. However, the Texans have an adequate back in Domanick Davis, who has rushed for over 3400 yards in his first three seasons. Davis can also catch passes out of the backfield, as he has shown in his first three years. The question with Domanick Davis has been his durability, well Dom Capers misused Davis when he tried to get him 25-30 touches a game, that's not what they should have done. Give him 18-22 touches a game, and give Wells and Morency about 5 a piece and let's keep Davis healthy for all 16 games.
Another thing to think about, we already signed Davis to a 5 year contract worth about 5 million a year (i'm not sure the exact amount, someone help me out please). Houston would have to spend another 7-8 million a year to sign Bush to put in the same backfield. This would be a heavy burden on the salary cap for a postion that is already solid.
The Texans could line Bush up at a slot formation, use him in the backfield for about 8 carries a game, and let him return punts. But even if he makes 40 catches on the year, he would still only get about 15 touches a game with punt returns. I would like to see someone more involved than just that many touches a game with the number one pick. Don't get me wrong if we take Reggie Bush i would become his number one fan, but i think we should trade this pick away.

Option number three for the Texans: Trade the first pick for more picks. This idea should be the route Houston takes. My reasoning behind this is simple. We have two major holes to fill on this team and Reggie Bush could fill neither of them. Hole number one the offensive line is offensive. Houston has given up more sacks the past 4 years than any team in the league by far. The lack of a deep passing game due to the inability to make seven step drops not only kills the passing game, but also allows defenses to bring up free and strong safeties which also hurts the running game. If Houston can throw the ball down the field it opens everything up for the offense. Secondly Houston's run defense was the worst in the league at one point this season, (I'm not sure if the Texans finished 31st or 32nd in the NFL). Obviously we are going to need some help in this department. Houston can help fill a role by bringing in a Linebacker and a good safety. Travis Johnson IMO did not have the impact the Texans were looking for, and Jason Babin has been a bust. Houston should look for a couple solid linebackers to go beside Wong and Greenwood, and try to grab another safety that can come up and help against the run.
Houston could trade this pick to virtually anyone, and get a 2006 first round pick, and a second and third round selection this year.. perhaps they could even get a second or third round pick in next year's draft. Houston can help themselves the most by trading away the pick, nothing against Reggie or Young. What do you guys think?
thague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #2
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

One area in which Houston would not be helping themselves by trading down - getting fannies back in the seats.

Bush or Young would help revitalize interest in the team. There's going to be a bigger than usual ticket turnover this year, and the team may have trouble selling out single game tickets until they start winning.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #3
Janus3
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
One area in which Houston would not be helping themselves by trading down - getting fannies back in the seats.

Bush or Young would help revitalize interest in the team. There's going to be a bigger than usual ticket turnover this year, and the team may have trouble selling out single game tickets until they start winning.
who cares what houstonians think. if the fans won't support the team because they didn't draft a marquee player, they shouldn't even call themselves fans.
Old 01-10-2006   #4
BREAZE
Veteran

All options will help, but we have too many from the VY camp tearing down the Bush camp and vise versa. Why there are camps is beyond me. What's interesting is nobody attempts to tear down the "trade down" camp with the exception of ticket sales...what does that tell ya?

Its like Christmas where many are emotionally wrapped around "wants" and few are asking Santa for needs...
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #5
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREAZE
All options will help, but we have too many from the VY camp tearing down the Bush camp and vise versa. Why there are camps is beyond me. What's interesting is nobody attempts to tear down the "trade down" camp with the exception of ticket sales...what does that tell ya?

Its like Christmas where many are emotionally wrapped around "wants" and few are asking Santa for needs...

ok fine- ill tear down the trade down camp

THERE IS NO WAY THE GUYS WE PICK WITH THOSE DRAFT PICKS ILL EQUAL REGGIE BUSH/VY! WERE GIVING CASSERLY THE FUTURE OF OUR FRANCHISE WITH THESE PICKS AND HE WILL BLOW IT BY PICKING SOME TWEENER PROJECT!

ok seriously, I REALLY dont think ferguson is worth the #4 pick as he is just not that good. and then when you're talking about 2nd and 3rd round picks, the chance that these picks turn into solid players is very low.

the chance that these picks equal a superstar player is even lower.
Old 01-10-2006   #6
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus3
who cares what houstonians think. if the fans won't support the team because they didn't draft a marquee player, they shouldn't even call themselves fans.
Last time I checked, the Bob McNair is actually running a business. So I'm sure he cares whether people buy tickets are not. Not only does the team lose revenues from unpurchased tickets, but there are other revenue hits as well. One is advertising rates at Reliant. Advertisers don't care about tickets sold as much as they are about actual attendance. Also, if the games don't sell out, there is lost TV revenue from blackouts. And very few TV markets outside of Houston (and the 100-mile radius) are going to broadcast games with a Texans team that was horrible last year and no draw this year. Austin and Corpus weren't even broadcasting Texans games at the end of the 2005 season.

There's also merchandising to consider. If the Texans get a marquee player, they are going to be selling a lot of jerseys. If they don't, jersey sales will probably be the worst in Year 5 than in the other 4 years.

It's not about "real fans". It's about real consumers.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thague
Here's my position
Thank you for starting a new thread about your position on 100 other threads.

Its called the reply button. Everyone doesnt need a new thread to say how they feel about the 2 major topics on this board...
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2006   #8
BREAZE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
ok fine- ill tear down the trade down camp

THERE IS NO WAY THE GUYS WE PICK WITH THOSE DRAFT PICKS ILL EQUAL REGGIE BUSH/VY! WERE GIVING CASSERLY THE FUTURE OF OUR FRANCHISE WITH THESE PICKS AND HE WILL BLOW IT BY PICKING SOME TWEENER PROJECT!

ok seriously, I REALLY dont think ferguson is worth the #4 pick as he is just not that good. and then when you're talking about 2nd and 3rd round picks, the chance that these picks turn into solid players is very low.

the chance that these picks equal a superstar player is even lower.
Again, a position based on too many assumptions. You don't know how many picks we could get for one of these guys. How many picks did Dallas get for Hershel Walker...more importantly, what did that yield? Ticket sales sure became a non-issue real quick.

All 3 options will improve the team.
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read