Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-10-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default David Carr deserves to start here 1 more year

Lets face it, despite the common notion, Carr has worked extremely hard and except for some terrible moments this past season, has managed to put up some respectable numbers. Heres my reasoning:

1st two seasons, we were an expansion team lead by a rookie--tough situation.

3rd season, Carr posted a significantly improved completion percentage, gained 3538 yards, and tossed 16tds (83.5 passer rating). We had just swithced to zone blocking, and towards the end of the season, defenses were triple teaming AJ and that limited some of Carrs numbers. Davis was also hurt for about half the season

4th season, Carr did regress. But look at the situation he was in. The O-Line shuffled around almost the entire season, key blockers were hurt, DD was hurt, and AJ was hurt for a lot of the season. Despite this, he still completed over 60% of his passes and threw for more TDs than INTs. True, we were throwing mostly slant routes and quick hooks, but the fact is, he was surrounded by almost no one this season, and performed admirably well.

The thing is, VY could probably make our team a lot better. But with a new coach, I have no reason to believe that Carr will be any worse than a rookie VY. Therefore I think it is only fair to give Carr a chance to develop under some real coaching, and if we takes steps backwards, then maybe its time to start lookie elsewhere.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Valid points and a good take. I will take him back as long as his contract is commensurate to where he fits in with his cohorts in the league, which in my opinion is right in the middle.

He needs a lot of help to be successful. This situation kind of reminds me of the IBM consulting commercial set in a medieval time at a round table. The "chief", McNair, asks the consultant, Reeves, what we should do solve the current quagmire and he recommends to throw more money at the problem. That is what we will be doing with an extension.
Old 01-10-2006   #3
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i say we we get some OL ans see what he can do w/ some protection before we cast the first stone.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #4
texansfaninla
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 texansfaninla has been demoted to the practice squad

He showed flashes of great play, especially that first half against St. Louis this past season. And you have to respect the fact that the guy hasn't completely given up after getting sacked around 200 times in four years. Give the man some time to throw, and some more weapons (read: Reggie Bush), and I think we'll be pleasantly surprised and happy that we stuck by him.
texansfaninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #5
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfaninla
He showed flashes of great play, especially that first half against St. Louis this past season. And you have to respect the fact that the guy hasn't completely given up after getting sacked around 200 times in four years. Give the man some time to throw, and some more weapons (read: Reggie Bush), and I think we'll be pleasantly surprised and happy that we stuck by him.
so you think we need reggie and all our OL problems will be solved ?
Old 01-10-2006   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
so you think we need reggie and all our OL problems will be solved ?
I believe he said to get some protection and add more weapons.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #7
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

he said more weapons (read reggie bush) so he was implying reggie bush when he said weapons.
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2006   #8
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

plus i have been pleasently suprised with "out of nowhere only a special teamer" D. Davis. Plus we just signed him to a contract extension last year.
Old 01-10-2006   #9
texansfaninla
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 texansfaninla has been demoted to the practice squad

Yes, that's what I said. Get Reggie, get some OL help and maybe another solid WR, and the offense could really take off.

Don't we have four picks in the first 70, or something like that? Why not take Bush, then bolster the OL with second and third round picks? Or get a solid WR, or some defensive help, or go get some OL in free agency? That's the quickest recipe for improvement, in my opinion.

And I have absolutely nothing against DD. Heck, I'm an LSU alum. I love to see him succeed. But him, plus Bush in the same backfield, could be really great. Bush hasn't carried the ball more than like 25 times a game for SC, and Davis has shown he is not the most durable fella out there. Combine their efforts. Could be very interesting.
texansfaninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #10
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfaninla
Yes, that's what I said. Get Reggie, get some OL help and maybe another solid WR, and the offense could really take off.

Don't we have four picks in the first 70, or something like that? Why not take Bush, then bolster the OL with second and third round picks? Or get a solid WR, or some defensive help, or go get some OL in free agency? That's the quickest recipe for improvement, in my opinion.
if all the nfl played football east to west i would say get him, but most teams play north to south, and i watch alot of college ball and he is best when running to the outside and no RB can make it if thats all he's good at. Besides the fact that D. Davis has has some health issues i have been pleasently suprised and happy with his play.
Old 01-10-2006   #11
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

yes but why both when we could trade firt overall pick and just add to our overall team depth ???
Old 01-10-2006   #12
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

I really want to see Carr succeed here. he has been done disservice for a minute here. Sure there were some areas that he could/should have used better judgement, but he hasn't been Joey Harrington bad.

With an offensive minded coach sre to get the job let's see what Carr does.
Old 01-10-2006   #13
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

most of the picks he threw this year were on his receivers and not just because of bad decesions, unlike i had seen from him in the past.
Old 01-10-2006   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
most of the picks he threw this year were on his receivers and not just because of bad decesions, unlike i had seen from him in the past.
I never thought that picks were an issue with Carr. In fact most of his detractors would probably not argue his accuracy. However, when most of his attempts are within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage you won't see many picks.
Old 01-10-2006   #15
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

but that will happen when ya barely have time to take a 3 step drop before ya have to pass.
Old 01-10-2006   #16
profan
Veteran

Default Give David a Chance

When all the good vibes from this Rose Bowl performance wears off lets please stop and think. Vince Young had one of the best if not the best offensive line this year. He had the best pass catching tight end in college football. He had recievers that will be playing in the nfl and some very good running backs. David Carr had the worst offensive line in the NFL, average at best receivers excluding Andre. Did I mention that David Carr also had some of the poorest coaching. If we would have surrounded David with one of the best lines, three good receivers, and a tight end, these conversations would not be taking place, because we could possibly still be playing football. If we keep Carr and surround him with quality players, i will be at every game supporting the team. If we draft vince i will be there also, but whoever is the qb, he will need some help that david has not gotten from this front office and previous coaching staff.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #17
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by profan
When all the good vibes from this Rose Bowl performance wears off lets please stop and think. Vince Young had one of the best if not the best offensive line this year. He had the best pass catching tight end in college football. He had recievers that will be playing in the nfl and some very good running backs. David Carr had the worst offensive line in the NFL, average at best receivers excluding Andre. Did I mention that David Carr also had some of the poorest coaching. If we would have surrounded David with one of the best lines, three good receivers, and a tight end, these conversations would not be taking place, because we could possibly still be playing football. If we keep Carr and surround him with quality players, i will be at every game supporting the team. If we draft vince i will be there also, but whoever is the qb, he will need some help that david has not gotten from this front office and previous coaching staff.

So maybe if you give david carr the most ideal of circumstances for a qb, he could possibly turn into a valid qb and win games....lets give him 9 years for that to happen!

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #18
pskinny
Veteran

Default Why we need to keep Carr and draft Reggie Bush

Since the Rose Bowl this board has exploded with Vince Young talk. I understand most of you wanting the talented home town kid, but it's almost ridiculous the effect his performance in that game had on this city. So instead of me getting frustrated and defending my Reggie Bush position in countless threads. I thought I would create my own, telling my side of the story.

First off, the Texans should extend David Carr. You're right David didn't perform this season, but who on the team did? Coaching changes were made, Carr had nothing at TE, AJ was hurt, DD was hurt, his OL was shuffled around constantly, and when they findly started playing with some continuity, Weigert, Hogden, Wade got hurt. Now we're going to blame Carr for not stepping up and carrying this team on his shoulders? Give the man a chance to succeed next year. Hire Kubiak, fix the OL, draft a TE, get a second WR, and get ready to see a new Carr on field on Sunday.

Now we're left deciding what to do with the number 1 pick. Drafting VY after deciding to keep Carr would be a disaster. First off, you'd have nothing to show for that first pick in the 2006 season with Young on the bench. Not adding an offensive weapon such as Bush when you have the chance would be a mistake, and only setting Carr up for more failure. Every time Carr threw a incompletion, interception, or got sacked, the boo birds would be out in full force. We don't need that next season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a VY hater, I think he will be great some day, but I feel the same about Bush. Do you guys forget how two weeks ago this city was praying for the Texans to lose to SF so they would have the right to Draft Reggie. WOW!!!! How quick things change. The guy is unbelievable, he's got Jerome Mathis speed with Barry Sanders like moves. He's the closest thing to a can't miss prospect as they get in College Football, and 49 other states still believe that, even after the Rose Bowl.

Carr, AJ, Bush, and DD on the field at the same time? Coupled with an offensive minded coach such as Kubiak, a new WR, new TE, and new OL??? Man, the possibilities.....Who would you rather have the next five years? VY and DD? Or Carr, DD, and Bush?

Now you ask how are we going to add all these needed peices? I say to pursue one of the top FA linemen. Hutchinson? Bentley? Draft the best OT available with the first pick of the 2nd round, Draft the best TE and OG with the two picks in the 3rd. Then pursue a FA WR like Antonio Bryant, Kevin Curtis, maybe Charles Rogers (if he gets released), and you see what Mathis can do.

That's just how I see it.........and I didn't even mention the defense.

Last edited by pskinny; 01-10-2006 at 08:29 PM.
pskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
So maybe if you give david carr the most ideal of circumstances for a qb, he could possibly turn into a valid qb and win games....lets give him 9 years for that to happen!

OR -- if you put VY in the circumstances that DC has had to endure for four years, he'd realize life isn't all Rose Bowls and national championships. He'd be begging for that Texas O-line and even more importantly, those less-than-stellar defenses he faced in the NCAA.

NO QUARTERBACK would have done any better to this point than DC has, given the same set of circumstances from 2002 forward.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
OR -- if you put VY in the circumstances that DC has had to endure for four years, he'd realize life isn't all Rose Bowls and national championships. He'd be begging for that Texas O-line and even more importantly, those less-than-stellar defenses he faced in the NCAA.

NO QUARTERBACK would have done any better to this point than DC has, given the same set of circumstances from 2002 forward.
Steve Mcnair was also not supposed to scramble around in the NFL and he faced even less than stellar defenses. The one thing that I saw in Mcnair that I see in Vince is HEART. Yes, Steve eventually was slowed down by a bruising hit by Donnie Edwards but he became a very good pocet passer. Steve is Vince's mentor. You think he didn't tell Vince that he needs to be a better more complete QB? Nah, instead he showed him how to be in the offseason. Why do you think Vince got better as his career went on.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read