Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-10-2006   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Well We KNOW VY wants to be here

Just saw on the news that the city counsel made this VY day. VY said he loved everyone and if the Texans are looking "come and get me." He said he hopes the organization may lean his way. I'm not a UT homer and don't think he is God or anything. It is just refreshing to see the guy be excited about the prospects and actually want to be here.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

What do you expect him to say?

That he doesn't want to play here?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush said the same thing when asked whether or not he'd play for the Texans. He said he'd enjoy playing with "Great football talents like Andre Johnson and David Carr" Its all politics, except for Eli Manning, most NFL prospects have it because they know it brings the $$$$
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
What do you expect him to say?

That he doesn't want to play here?
No, but considering that some of the debate this week was "Does Bush want to play here" and people were dissecting if what he said on Leno meant he wanted to be here or not, I thought it was a good sign. Just take it for what it is. People are a little too on edge these days.
Old 01-10-2006   #5
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
People are a little too on edge these days.
Not on edge, just praying the Texans don't fall for this media crap of wanting Vince Young here instead of New Orleans. Heck, he can go to Tennessee as far as I am concerned. Hope he likes Country and Western music...
Old 01-10-2006   #6
LoneStarState
Veteran

I, for one, am getting sick of all the media hype. It's like the 2 weeks between the Super Bowl. HYPE, HYPE, HYPE, then DUD.

Nothing like VY loyalists and UT fans trying to hold the Texans hostage. "DO AS WE SAY OR ELSE!"
Old 01-10-2006   #7
angeltexus
Rookie

Default How could this be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
Not on edge, just praying the Texans don't fall for this media crap of wanting Vince Young here instead of New Orleans. Heck, he can go to Tennessee as far as I am concerned. Hope he likes Country and Western music...
What! A homebred Texan going for someone else other than a homebread. This is getting interesting..
angeltexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2006   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Well this goes both ways. You have angry people who are tired of hearing it assuming that he will be a bust and taking it out on him. Just because the fans are over the top doesn't make him a bad kid and the fact is...he might be a stud. He has stepped it up everywhere he has been and can lead. But so might Bush and others. I just think people need to step back and realize it isn't the players that are changing, it is the fan base for each.
Old 01-10-2006   #9
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

"What do you expect him to say?

That he doesn't want to play here?"

he WANTS to be here, hes been practically screaming it the entire year, like when he said he would have no choice but to come out if the Texans were taking him (this was back before they had the #1 pick locked up and before the rose bowl obviously), then immediately after the rose bowl he said "H-town love yall baby!" when it was pointed out to him that the Texans have the #1 pick, and then obviously on the Leno show.

tulexan man, there seems to be some underlying issue with you, do you have something personally against vince young or the university of texas?
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I have nothing against Vince or UT.

What I do have a problem with is people thinking that QB is our biggest need and that we should spend a #1 pick on a QB because he is from Houston.

I also have a problem with most of the people who want Vince having no argument except "Vince is amazing and he is a hometown hero". And claiming that they would even be able to put up with years of failure because Vince would be our QB.

I think that Vince has a chance to be a very good player in the NFL but it will take a long time for him to get to that level. He is still an extremely raw quarterback and will need 2 or 3 years minimum to be NFL ready. I don't think this franchise can afford to wait at least 2 or 3 years to get back on track to where we are right now.

I believe that if we give David Carr more than 2 seconds to throw the ball, a defense, and another weapon, we can be a playoff contender maybe not next season, but the next. I don't think that it would be unreasonable to believe that we could be .500 or a little better next year.

That is my problem.
Old 01-10-2006   #11
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What I do have a problem with is people thinking that QB is our biggest need and that we should spend a #1 pick on a QB because he is from Houston.

That is my problem.

What I have a problem with is people thinking that RB is our biggest need and that we should spend a #1 pick on an RB just because everyone in America said we should--until the Rose Bowl. I'm not meaning to imply that you said anything of the sort, Tulexan....I'm just frustrated with solid "Bush-campers" who fail to see the irony in their anti-Young rants.

I honestly don't know what the right answer is, but I'm pretty doggone sure I'll be happy with either guy. I can't wait for actual workouts so we can get past some of this!
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #12
rellufnalla
Rookie

Default Young behind Carr.

For a couple of years is OK with me.
Bush wouldn't solve the immediate problems either.

Carr will step up or step out as will the rest of the team.
rellufnalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

I understand your frustration, and I am in the Bush camp, but I see a major difference in the argument. The difference is that by adding Bush, we are not subtracting anything we are just adding another piece to the puzzle. By adding Young, we are basically starting the puzzle over. I also believe that Bush is more than just a RB. He fills a few holes that we have on our team in addition to adding quality RB depth which is what we will need when Kubiak comes here because he likes to run the ball a lot, and a cut back RB fits his system.

I also believe that Carr fits the mold of the QBs that Kubiak has had success with (Strong armed and mobile). In fact Carr is very similar to Jake Plummer who Kubiak has turned from a turnover prone, unsuccessful QB, into one of the better QBs in the league.
Old 01-10-2006   #14
Jerry
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
What I have a problem with is people thinking that RB is our biggest need and that we should spend a #1 pick on an RB just because everyone in America said we should--until the Rose Bowl. I'm not meaning to imply that you said anything of the sort, Tulexan....I'm just frustrated with solid "Bush-campers" who fail to see the irony in their anti-Young rants.

I honestly don't know what the right answer is, but I'm pretty doggone sure I'll be happy with either guy. I can't wait for actual workouts so we can get past some of this!
Well, I don't want either...I'm in the shrinking "trade down to #4 or more and pick up D'Brickashaw, a TE, a FS, an OG, a CBand a DL/LB (depending on our defense next year) camp."
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #15
LongBignasty1
Veteran

Tulexan is upset that Vince Young and UT made Tulane their B**** !
Old 01-10-2006   #16
Glacier
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
you mean like the media crap about USC being unbeatable and how Texas wouldn't stand a chance?

Seriously, what did Reggie Bush do in the National Championship game? A bone head play and uhh....under 100 yards for the 6th time this season?

What did VY do? O yea....what was supposed to be impossible....thats all...
Glacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #17
BREAZE
Veteran

Quote:
I have nothing against Vince or UT.

I also have a problem with most of the people who want Vince having no argument except "Vince is amazing and he is a hometown hero". And claiming that they would even be able to put up with years of failure because Vince would be our QB.

I think that Vince has a chance to be a very good player in the NFL but it will take a long time for him to get to that level. He is still an extremely raw quarterback and will need 2 or 3 years minimum to be NFL ready. I don't think this franchise can afford to wait at least 2 or 3 years to get back on track to where we are right now.

I believe that if we give David Carr more than 2 seconds to throw the ball, a defense, and another weapon, we can be a playoff contender maybe not next season, but the next. I don't think that it would be unreasonable to believe that we could be .500 or a little better next year.

That is my problem.
Many have a problem with some who think we will not improve if we go a certain way. If we take Bush we will improve, if we trade down we will improve, and if we take VY we will yes...improve...deal with it! In fact, we would improve if we did not draft one person this year. We have way too much talent to be 2-14 and I would hope people realize that, but I'm starting to have doubts.

If you think people want VY only because he is a hometown hero then I'm convinced last Wed. was the 1st game you saw him play from start to finish. Also, if San Fran had the 1st pick and they were debating passing on Bush to take VY would those locally complaining rub you the wrong also? I'm guessing not.

Supposivley it was going to take years for VY to read defenses, develop pocket presence, and throw. It took one and the guy was not even sacked last year. I think Bush would be a great asset too, but I'm not going to be shallow and debate whether he can help the Texans or not...of course he can. Can he run with our O-line? I have no idea...I know he needs room to make moves and he is not going to immediately have it here. D.Davis got a lot of yards on second effort after he got hit. Can Bush to this? The verdict is still out.

My point is saying one option will not improve the team is simply wrong. To say that by bringing Bush in we will be in the playoffs in 2 years is no different than saying bringing VY in will win us a ton of rings. Personally, I could care less about the playoffs. I want rings and will be happy with whoever gets us there...
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #18
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Actually Chris Simms made Tulane his ***** the first time they played and Chance Mock and Cedric Benson did the second time they played.

But I really don't care that Texas beat Tulane because Tulane had no shot of winning either game. The budget for the football team alone at Texas is probably a few times more than the entire athletic department at Tulane.

I'm proud of Tulane's team this year for what they went through regardless of their record.
Old 01-10-2006   #19
Long-Spurs-Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Bush said the same thing when asked whether or not he'd play for the Texans. He said he'd enjoy playing with "Great football talents like Andre Johnson and David Carr" Its all politics, except for Eli Manning, most NFL prospects have it because they know it brings the $$$$
LOL, Bush said Andre Davis err Johnson
Long-Spurs-Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #20
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellufnalla
For a couple of years is OK with me.
you obviously haven't sat in Reliant Stadium the past 4 years waiting for a winner. Now's not the time to install a CFL-type offense and wait 4 years for the qb to catch onto the pro game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read