Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Offensive Line

Cupps

Waterboy
I've been seeing tons and tons and tons of calls to either draft Reggie Bush or trade David Carr and draft precious Vince Young. Don't get me wrong, both are very talented players and while I feel Young will take several years to be any good, I think both could be solid NFL players.

However, how quickly have all of you forgotten our biggest need, an O-LINE! Think back... we've been waiting for a sub-par group of guys to "gel" for five years, and its not happening. Those that are calling for Carr's head, think about when he's actaully had time to throw the ball, Carr's got agreat arm and can make big plays. Dominack Davis has rushed for 1000+ every year of his career without a solid O-Line, just imagine if we had one. He'd explode.

Why has NOBODY here thought about trading down, or staying put even, and drafting D'Brickishaw Ferguson? The guy is a stud out of Virginia. Think of it... trade fown several spots for a starting lineman and another first-rounder. Take Ferguson, and then Marcus McNeill from Auburn. That's two young O-Lineman and one more from the trade.

We'd have three solid lineman to support Carr, Davis and Johnson. Then the rest of the draft can be to give us depth on the defensive side of the ball. Sign a nice defensive FA or two, and we oculd easily be .500 this year... and we don't need to do some outlandish suggestion that invovles throwing away millions of dollars.

Bobo

Veteran
Cupps said:
I've been seeing tons and tons and tons of calls to either draft Reggie Bush or trade David Carr and draft precious Vince Young. Don't get me wrong, both are very talented players and while I feel Young will take several years to be any good, I think both could be solid NFL players.

However, how quickly have all of you forgotten our biggest need, an O-LINE! Think back... we've been waiting for a sub-par group of guys to "gel" for five years, and its not happening. Those that are calling for Carr's head, think about when he's actaully had time to throw the ball, Carr's got agreat arm and can make big plays. Dominack Davis has rushed for 1000+ every year of his career without a solid O-Line, just imagine if we had one. He'd explode.

Why has NOBODY here thought about trading down, or staying put even, and drafting D'Brickishaw Ferguson? The guy is a stud out of Virginia. Think of it... trade fown several spots for a starting lineman and another first-rounder. Take Ferguson, and then Marcus McNeill from Auburn. That's two young O-Lineman and one more from the trade.

We'd have three solid lineman to support Carr, Davis and Johnson. Then the rest of the draft can be to give us depth on the defensive side of the ball. Sign a nice defensive FA or two, and we oculd easily be .500 this year... and we don't need to do some outlandish suggestion that invovles throwing away millions of dollars.
Right on! But don't forget the defense needs help as well.

The Dream

All Pro
While we do need a line, I think we can still get a good one in the 2nd round......like I've mentioned before linemen are easy to come by, players like VY and Bush aren't.

AustinJB

Rookie
The Dream said:
While we do need a line, I think we can still get a good one in the 2nd round......like I've mentioned before linemen are easy to come by, players like VY and Bush aren't.
I agree...sort of. I think we can upgrade the line in the 2nd and free agency. True playmakers are hard to come by...and that's the direction we should go with the 1st pick. But linemen aren't that easy to come by either or we would have improved ours over the last 4 yrs. That's why players like O.Pace, R.Gallery, etc. are taken high in the 1st round.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The Dream said:
Well, you may have mentioned that. But I haven't seen any data from you that supports your theory. While I agree that the Texans should be able to find a good lineman with their 2nd round pick, I don't think that 1 guy will be sufficient.