Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-10-2006   #1
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dream Scenario

We pick Young with the number 1 pick after bluffing about taking Reggie Bush the whole time. So the Saints are forced to think about Bush or Leinart, I say they'd take Leinart. They need a QB bad. Tennessee, who wanted Young all along is now forced to consider Reggie Bush, but I don't see them taking Bush with Travis Henry and Chris Brown already on the team. So they go A.J. Hawke, D'Brick, Williams, etc. Bush now falls to #4, the Jets are on the clock. We trade Carr and next year's #1 for that pick. Jets need a durable QB, Carr fits that. We take Bush at #4. And if for some reason the Titans or Saints take Bush, then we get D'Brick. Could it happen?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #2
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

I guess it could happen but I dont see the Texans basically trading 2 first round draft picks for Reggie Bush. Even though there's a ton of hype about Bush he hasnt proven a thing in the NFL. We have too many needs and there are too many great players that come out every year. Imagine next season during the draft and the Texans have 0 first round selections... Even with Bush I'm sure we will still be needing to add youth and depth to a team with needs everywhere.
Old 01-10-2006   #3
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Tell yall what...everyone post their dream scenario. I think that would be pretty cool.

I'll say we make a deal with the Saints, and they take Carr and other picks for #2.
Old 01-10-2006   #4
Joeymousepad
Rookie

I hope we take Reggie and one of the good LTs has a terrible combine or miraculously falls for some other reason and we get them at 33.
Old 01-10-2006   #5
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316
Tell yall what...everyone post their dream scenario. I think that would be pretty cool.

I'll say we make a deal with the Saints, and they take Carr and other picks for #2.
Trade Carr for Ricky Williams and draft pick then draft VY at #1.
Austin_Texans_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #6
GMo

I'm hoping we take Bush or Young and trade them for some great offensive and defensive linemen. And maybe a good tight end.

I'd like to see VY play for the Texans, but I like Carr, too. I can live with VY playing somewhere else, as long as it's not the T1t-uns!
Old 01-10-2006   #7
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316
My moderately realistic, dream scenario (my fantasy dream scenario would involve us getting draft picks and trades that would not happen in a million years, so I'll leave that out of this) would be something like this:

First things first, Houston signs Kubiak as head coach
Houston trades the #1 overall pick to the N.Y. Jets for the #1 (Jets looking for Bush or maybe Leinart/Young), this year's 3rd rounder, next year's 1st rounder and 4th rounder, and John Abraham.
Houston then trades the #4 overall pick to Arizona for the #10 (Arizona looking for Mario Williams or maybe Hawk), next year's 2nd rounder, and Leonard Davis.
Houston sends the 65th, 66th, and 68th picks to Denver and moves back into the first round to #22 (Washington's pick), Shanahan gives Kubiak a couple of his assistants to bring with (he has already said he would) and one of their 1st rounders since they don't seem to like those very much and love those 3rd round picks.

This gives us the following draft picks:
2006: #10, #22, #33, #97, #129, #161, #193, $225
2007: NY Jets' 1st and 4th round picks, Arizona's 2nd round pick

Houston signs LeCharles Bentley in free agency
Houston drafts the following players:
10: Eric Winston OT, Miami
22: Michael Huff, S/CB, Texas
33: Davin Joseph, OG, Oklahoma
97: Best (most athletic) CB/LB/WR available
129, 161, 193, 225: BPA, look for athletic but capable CBs, WRs, LBs, or if there is a steal of a TE available then grab him.

This yields the following lineup for 2006:
QB: David Carr
RB: Domanick Davis (Morency, Wells backups but they actually get some reps so Davis' knees don't go out)
WR: Andre Johnson, Jabar Gaffney, Jerome Mathis, Derick Armstrong, any fast rookies
TE: Marcellus Rivers, Mark Bruener, Bennie Joppru
LT: Chester Pitts (Seth Wand backup)
LG: Davin Joseph/Zach Wiegert (Wiegert stays for 2006 and starts if he beats out Joseph, then he is gone)
C: LeCharles Bentley (Drew Hodgdon backup)
RG: Leonard Davis (Milford Brown/Fred Weary backup)
RT: Eric Winston (Todd Wade backup)

DE: John Abraham, Jason Babin/Antwan Peek rotating
DT: Robaire Smith, Gary Walker/Seth Payne, Travis Johnson
OLB: Shantee Orr, Morlon Greenwood, maybe some of Peek when not at DE, give a rookie some PT too
MLB: Kailee Wong (Polk as backup)
CB: Dunta Robinson, Michael Huff on 2 WR sets, (Buchanon, Faggins and/or rookie come in a CB on passing situations)
S: Glen Earl, C.C. Brown (Huff rotates back to FS on passing situations to ball hawk)

This gives us a much more competent coaching staff that will actually teach our players and help them improve. If fixes up the OL and gives us a lot of young talent there to anchor our offense for the next decade, so we can finally protect Carr and will be able to run (right side of OL will be a monster in the runnnig game). We switch to a 4-3, get a nice pass-rushing DE (Abraham), and bring in Huff from Texas to play CB opposite Robinson on 2-WR sets (Dunta and Huff are both great tacklers and Earl and Brown will both remain in on those downs to greatly improve run support and both Huff and Robinson can cover WRs), but then shift Huff back to FS on 3- or 4-WR sets to ball hawk for us and have Robinson and then a combination of Buchanon, Faggins, and/or any rookies cover the WRs.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 01-10-2006 at 05:26 PM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2006   #8
TexansCanes
All Pro

i don't we have to give compensation for Kubiack, or should for that matter. he hasn't proven anything as a head coach in the nfl because he has never been one. at this point i really don't care what we do with the first pick. my dream scenario would be trade down to 4 and get the jets first round pick next year and a third this year.

rd1: mario williams
rd2: max jean-gilles
rd3: ernie sims
rd4: antonio chromartie

if there was a good lineman that falls think about give up the jets picks to get back into the first round. the only problem is i don't think this board can take another year that we trade down.
Old 01-10-2006   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
My moderately realistic, dream scenario (my fantasy dream scenario would involve us getting draft picks and trades that would not happen in a million years, so I'll leave that out of this) would be something like this:

First things first, Houston signs Kubiak as head coach
Houston trades the #1 overall pick to the N.Y. Jets for the #1 (Jets looking for Bush or maybe Leinart/Young), this year's 3rd rounder, next year's 1st rounder and 4th rounder, and John Abraham.
Houston then trades the #4 overall pick to Arizona for the #10 (Arizona looking for Mario Williams or maybe Hawk), next year's 2nd rounder, and Leonard Davis.
Houston sends the 65th, 66th, and 68th picks to Denver and moves back into the first round to #22 (Washington's pick), Shanahan gives us Kubiak and one of their 1st rounders since they don't seem to like those very much and love those 3rd round picks.

This gives us the following draft picks:
2006: #10, #22, #33, #97, #129, #161, #193, $225
2007: NY Jets' 1st and 4th round picks, Arizona's 2nd round pick

Houston signs LeCharles Bentley in free agency
Houston drafts the following players:
10: Eric Winston OT, Miami
22: Michael Huff, S/CB, Texas
33: Davin Joseph, OG, Oklahoma
97: Best (most athletic) CB/LB/WR available
129, 161, 193, 225: BPA, look for athletic but capable CBs, WRs, LBs, or if there is a steal of a TE available then grab him.

This yields the following lineup for 2006:
QB: David Carr
RB: Domanick Davis (Morency, Wells backups but they actually get some reps so Davis' knees don't go out)
WR: Andre Johnson, Jabar Gaffney, Jerome Mathis, Derick Armstrong, any fast rookies
TE: Marcellus Rivers, Mark Bruener, Bennie Joppru
LT: Chester Pitts (Seth Wand backup)
LG: Davin Joseph/Zach Wiegert (Wiegert stays for 2006 and starts if he beats out Joseph, then he is gone)
C: LeCharles Bentley (Drew Hodgdon backup)
RG: Leonard Davis (Milford Brown/Fred Weary backup)
RT: Eric Winston (Todd Wade backup)

DE: John Abraham, Jason Babin/Antwan Peek rotating
DT: Robaire Smith, Gary Walker/Seth Payne, Travis Johnson
OLB: Shantee Orr, Morlon Greenwood, maybe some of Peek when not at DE, give a rookie some PT too
MLB: Kailee Wong (Polk as backup)
CB: Dunta Robinson, Michael Huff on 2 WR sets, (Buchanon, Faggins and/or rookie come in a CB on passing situations)
S: Glen Earl, C.C. Brown (Huff rotates back to FS on passing situations to ball hawk)

This gives us a much more competent coaching staff that will actually teach our players and help them improve. If fixes up the OL and gives us a lot of young talent there to anchor our offense for the next decade, so we can finally protect Carr and will be able to run (right side of OL will be a monster in the runnnig game). We switch to a 4-3, get a nice pass-rushing DE (Abraham), and bring in Huff from Texas to play CB opposite Robinson on 2-WR sets (Dunta and Huff are both great tacklers and Earl and Brown will both remain in on those downs to greatly improve run support and both Huff and Robinson can cover WRs), but then shift Huff back to FS on 3- or 4-WR sets to ball hawk for us and have Robinson and then a combination of Buchanon, Faggins, and/or any rookies cover the WRs.
not bad looking at all, but huff does not stand out as a ballhawk to me. Ko Simpson or Laron Landry seem to fit that mold better.
Old 01-10-2006   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Chromartie is an interesting pick. I think whoever gets him is going to get a steal.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #11
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
not bad looking at all, but huff does not stand out as a ballhawk to me. Ko Simpson or Laron Landry seem to fit that mold better.
i don't know if i would say that laron is more of a ballhawker, actually i think they are the same type of player. despite laron's size i think he is a run stopper (lead lsu in tackles) and drops a lot of picks. hopefully he comes back because i think with another year he will be a lot better, plus we need him for a run at the title.
Old 01-10-2006   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCanes
i don't know if i would say that laron is more of a ballhawker, actually i think they are the same type of player. despite laron's size i think he is a run stopper (lead lsu in tackles) and drops a lot of picks. hopefully he comes back because i think with another year he will be a lot better, plus we need him for a run at the title.
from your name I would have guess Miami, not LSU.
Old 01-10-2006   #13
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
He's not a prototypical ballhawk, but he's certainly better in coverage than Earl or Brown and can still make hits very well, so I'd bump him back to S in passing situations rather than leaving both Earl and Brown out there, and leave Brown and Earl in for run support on traditional running downs and put Huff at CB since he's supposed to be fast enough to play CB and he can tackle, unlike Buchanon and Faggins.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Chromartie is an interesting pick. I think whoever gets him is going to get a steal.
I concur

I've wanted to say that for a while.
Old 01-10-2006   #15
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
yeah, as a kid i was a miami fan, i liked their mascot and then followed them when i really got into watching college football when i got a little older and know i go to lsu. i still follow the canes but my squad is LSU. i would change my username but i brought it over from the old texans board.
Old 01-10-2006   #16
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
I was baffled by it as well until he explained it to me.

"TexansCanes", going to LSU with an avatar of a couple of chicks from FSU.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #17
spence425
Rookie

hahaha....

a. why would titans pass on bush. henry has been a dissappointment, and brown is injury prone.

b. in case you hadn't noticed, the jets also need a franchise running back.

c. bush has yet to declare
spence425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
I was baffled by it as well until he explained it to me.

"TexansCanes", going to LSU with an avatar of a couple of chicks from FSU.
Yeah, those ladies had my attention for a while too.
Old 01-10-2006   #19
Janus3
Veteran

it could happen but it would be stupid to select young. if they take leinart it'd be better since he's the better qb.
Old 01-10-2006   #20
Janus3
Veteran

anyways, my dream scenario. trade the #1 pick to the jets they take whichever qb they want. texans get say a 2nd or 3rd this year and a first next year. texans draft d'brickshaw and acquire some players from the jets and the texans draft OL help, a TE, and some D.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read