Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006   #1
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie
 
Austin_Texans_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 39
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 10 Austin_Texans_Fan is ridin' the pine
Thumbs up Draft Vince and trade for Ricky Williams

Trade Carr to Miami for Ricky and a draft pick, draft VY #1 and another lineman with the pick from Miami.


VY at QB
RW and DD both in the backfield
Rebuild O-line
AJ at WR


Who do the defenses focus on now?

Last edited by Austin_Texans_Fan; 01-10-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Austin_Texans_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #2
exclude
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Age: 40
Posts: 141
Rep Power: 10 exclude is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Texans_Fan
Trade Carr to Miami for Ricky and a draft pick, draft VY #1 and another lineman with the pick from Miami.


Vy at QB
RW and DD both in the backfield
Rebuild O-line
AJ at WR


Who do the defenses focus on now?
Assuming that our O-line is better, defenses would focus on anyone else besides VY.
VY is a rookie and will make rookie mistakes. He will help beat the Texans his first year more than he will help. In his first year in the league, VY is a project at best. Subsequent years he will resemble Vick.

Ricky is another project from UT. I think for the sake of the avg Texan fan's ability to cope with her team, we need only one long-term project at time.
__________________
4/28/2006 - the day the dream died
exclude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #3
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie
 
Austin_Texans_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 39
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 10 Austin_Texans_Fan is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclude
Assuming that our O-line is better, defenses would focus on anyone else besides VY.
VY is a rookie and will make rookie mistakes. He will help beat the Texans his first year more than he will help. In his first year in the league, VY is a project at best. Subsequent years he will resemble Vick.

Ricky is another project from UT. I think for the sake of the avg Texan fan's ability to cope with her team, we need only one long-term project at time.

WOW, I keep hearing the exact same things about VY for the past 3 years. Get a new argument, he has proven himself more than 619 boy.
Austin_Texans_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #4
HardKnockTexan
All Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 35
Posts: 576
Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclude
Assuming that our O-line is better, defenses would focus on anyone else besides VY.
VY is a rookie and will make rookie mistakes. He will help beat the Texans his first year more than he will help. In his first year in the league, VY is a project at best. Subsequent years he will resemble Vick.

Ricky is another project from UT. I think for the sake of the avg Texan fan's ability to cope with her team, we need only one long-term project at time.
With a solid running game and an improved offensive line Vince Young could be used much like Ben Rothlesburger was in Pitt during his rookie year. Limit Young to around 20 throws per game and pound the ball out on the ground. Once Young has a grasp of the speed of the NFL then the offense could be opened up more. I really dont see Young resembling Vick. Young is a far more efficent passer (atleast he was in college) and I believe that he would look to pass before he runs in the NFL. I see him resembling Culpepper more than Mike Vick.

Ricky Williams did make a huge mistake by walking out on his team but hopefully he's learned from his mistakes. Besides that one mishap Williams has been one of the most dominant runningbacks in the league since he joined the NFL. Even this year in a limited season and sharing carries Ronnie Brown he still had a fairly solid season. I dont see how you could consider him a project. I'm all for trading Carr for Ricky plus a late first day draft pick.
__________________
Let the football gods smile down on us.
HardKnockTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #5
exclude
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Age: 40
Posts: 141
Rep Power: 10 exclude is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Texans_Fan
WOW, I keep hearing the exact same things about VY for the past 3 years. Get a new argument, he has proven himself more than 619 boy.
And you will hear it until he proves it otherwise.

Young is not any better than Vick, other than from a physical standpoint.

Young plays in a gimmicky offense that has never translated well in the NFL. C'mon, option to your halfback??? Please...

619 boy will help the Texans in the immediate future, whereas Poorman's Vick will not for at least 3 years.

Please go back to Austin and keep rooting for the repeat National Champion Texas, er, oh yeah they won't repeat next year since the "greatest QB in world history" will go pro...ahhh, next year we won't have a repeat champion like in prior years..
__________________
4/28/2006 - the day the dream died
exclude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #6
Joeymousepad
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 34
Posts: 49
Rep Power: 0 Joeymousepad is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
With a solid running game and an improved offensive line Vince Young could be used much like Ben Rothlesburger was in Pitt during his rookie year. Limit Young to around 20 throws per game and pound the ball out on the ground.
Even with Ricky we still would not have half the rushing game that pittsburgh had. Mostly because our O-Line is the worst in the league(sorry to any of you reading this).
__________________
You mess with the Bull you get the horn. We had a horn in the butt for 4 yrs now
Joeymousepad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #7
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie
 
Austin_Texans_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 39
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 10 Austin_Texans_Fan is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclude
And you will hear it until he proves it otherwise.
Maxwell Award winner = Check

Davey O'Brien = Check

Led team to national championship(against best team in the history of sports mind you) = Check



If your waiting for him to find a cure for cancer before he "Proves" himself to you will have to wait until at least his 5 year in the league.
Austin_Texans_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2006   #8
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie
 
Austin_Texans_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 39
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 10 Austin_Texans_Fan is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclude
619 boy will help the Texans in the immediate future, whereas Poorman's Vick will not for at least 3 years.

And what happened when he went against a defense with some speed? He lives making big runs through LARGE holes and getting to the outside, how exactly is our o-line going to get that done?

Don't believe the hype.
Austin_Texans_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #9
exclude
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Age: 40
Posts: 141
Rep Power: 10 exclude is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Texans_Fan
Maxwell Award winner = Check

Davey O'Brien = Check

Led team to national championship(against best team in the history of sports mind you) = Check



If your waiting for him to find a cure for cancer before he "Proves" himself to you will have to wait until at least his 5 year in the league.
You can check all you want.

I just want a guy who can help my Texans in the first year.

VY is not going to help the Texans his first year. While he may have been God's gift to college football, he is nothing but another prospect in the NFL. And probably like the college prospect he mostly resembles (VICK), he will most likely have a difficult time assimilating to the pro style.

Yes, he's a proven winner in college. And yes he made USC defenders look foolish during the championship game.

But NFL defenders don't get fooled too easily.
__________________
4/28/2006 - the day the dream died
exclude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #10
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie
 
Austin_Texans_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 39
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 10 Austin_Texans_Fan is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclude
I just want a guy who can help my Texans in the first year.

What?!?! The NFL isn't a sprint, if a marathon. Yet another RB is NOT going to help this team. You need leadership(something we have never had).

VY is a born leader, Bush is a good RB but not someone you can build a team around. He didn't even get the most snaps or TD's with USC....all flash.
Austin_Texans_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #11
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie
 
Austin_Texans_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 39
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 10 Austin_Texans_Fan is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclude
You can check all you want.

I just want a guy who can help my Texans in the first year.

VY is not going to help the Texans his first year. While he may have been God's gift to college football, he is nothing but another prospect in the NFL. And probably like the college prospect he mostly resembles (VICK), he will most likely have a difficult time assimilating to the pro style.

Yes, he's a proven winner in college. And yes he made USC defenders look foolish during the championship game.

But NFL defenders don't get fooled too easily.

Wait a minute......your a trojans aren't you? LOL
Austin_Texans_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #12
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 59
Posts: 1,097
Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Texans_Fan
And what happened when he went against a defense with some speed? He lives making big runs through LARGE holes and getting to the outside, how exactly is our o-line going to get that done?

Don't believe the hype.
You have been watching way too much college football and not enough pro football. VY will be nothing more than a glorified water boy for several years in the NFL. Please stay in Austin and watch pop-warner ball and leave the pro stuff to us real fans. Matt Leinart had 3 great years with 1 bad loss at the end, Young had 1 good year with a tremendous game at the end. I would not bank that 1 game on him being the next Staubach or Fouts or Marino or well you get the picture. I put him in a class of Vick, a poor throwing QB with good wheels, nothing more and nothing less...

WE DON"T NEED VINCE YOUNG.....
__________________
The new era has begun.....
HomeBred_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #13
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spring TX
Age: 41
Posts: 1,098
Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclude
You can check all you want.

I just want a guy who can help my Texans in the first year.

VY is not going to help the Texans his first year. While he may have been God's gift to college football, he is nothing but another prospect in the NFL. And probably like the college prospect he mostly resembles (VICK), he will most likely have a difficult time assimilating to the pro style.

Yes, he's a proven winner in college. And yes he made USC defenders look foolish during the championship game.

But NFL defenders don't get fooled too easily.
Save the "er's" for the Rome show.

I guess Bush will make defenders in the nfl look foolish.
Few rookies make monumental impacts their 1st year anyway.
__________________
Kubiak is no mechanic!
Trade in the Carr and go with a Young-er model!
Big B Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #14
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie
 
Austin_Texans_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 39
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 10 Austin_Texans_Fan is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
You have been watching way too much college football and not enough pro football. VY will be nothing more than a glorified water boy for several years in the NFL. Please stay in Austin and watch pop-warner ball and leave the pro stuff to us real fans. Matt Leinart had 3 great years with 1 bad loss at the end, Young had 1 good year with a tremendous game at the end. I would not bank that 1 game on him being the next Staubach or Fouts or Marino or well you get the picture. I put him in a class of Vick, a poor throwing QB with good wheels, nothing more and nothing less...

WE DON"T NEED VINCE YOUNG.....

LOL, apparently you don't watch enough. You want Bush because he ran all over a weak D PAC 10 yet Vince beats the best of the best and you dismiss it.

Weak argument, next.
Austin_Texans_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #15
exclude
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Age: 40
Posts: 141
Rep Power: 10 exclude is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Texans_Fan
What?!?! The NFL isn't a sprint, if a marathon. Yet another RB is NOT going to help this team. You need leadership(something we have never had).

VY is a born leader, Bush is a good RB but not someone you can build a team around. He didn't even get the most snaps or TD's with USC....all flash.
All championship teams have always had an very good to awesome RB.

Not all championship teams have a good QB, just good QB play. We have a servicable QB who may yet turn out to be exceptional.

"Our" team (I put Our in quotes because the Texans are my team where as from your name you are probably one of the UT/VY bandwagoneers that have been posting quite a bit on the MB these last few days) needs someone who can immediately help us.

I believe Bush can do that. WE ALL KNOW VY will need to sit a few years.
__________________
4/28/2006 - the day the dream died
exclude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #16
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 59
Posts: 1,097
Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Texans_Fan
LOL, apparently you don't watch enough. You want Bush because he ran all over a weak D PAC 10 yet Vince beats the best of the best and you dismiss it.

Weak argument, next.
Weak Argument??? I think you said it just fine, "the best of the best".
Go back to school... Next.....
__________________
The new era has begun.....
HomeBred_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #17
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie
 
Austin_Texans_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 39
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 10 Austin_Texans_Fan is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
Weak Argument??? I think you said it just fine, "the best of the best".
Go back to school... Next.....

Yeah brain child, tOSU's defense and USC's offense. Hello McFly?!?!!?!

Do you even know anything about these players beside what you hear on ESPN?
Austin_Texans_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #18
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie
 
Austin_Texans_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 39
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 10 Austin_Texans_Fan is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclude

"Our" team (I put Our in quotes because the Texans are my team where as from your name you are probably one of the UT/VY bandwagoneers that have been posting quite a bit on the MB these last few days)

Wrong again Charlie Brown, born and raised in Pearland and been watching Houston football since the days of Love 'Ya blue....chump.
Austin_Texans_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #19
axman40
Hall of Fame
 
axman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin
Age: 53
Posts: 21,468
Rep Power: 41343 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
I would not bank that 1 game on him being the next Staubach or Fouts or Marino or well you get the picture. I put him in a class of Vick, a poor throwing QB with good wheels, nothing more and nothing less...

WE DON"T NEED VINCE YOUNG.....
So you would not want a proven winner like a Montana or Elway?That is what I see in VY!
__________________
“The highway’s jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.”
axman40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #20
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 59
Posts: 1,097
Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Texans_Fan
Yeah brain child, tOSU's defense and USC's offense. Hello McFly?!?!!?!

Do you even know anything about these players beside what you hear on ESPN?
LOL, brainchild... You are a gunny geezer...

I watch plenty of football, both Pro and pop-warner... Let me clear the records for you son, since your judgement is cloudied with the hype.

Vince Young, good runner, poor thrower. Lobs the ball way too much. His receivers have to jump for the ball allot. Can't get away with that in the pro-level. Not a pocket passer. Runs way too much and the way the defenses are made up these days, those guys will have Vince for lunch. He will get killed, period. Throws the ball sidearm. Will get knocked down by oncoming linemen.

Matt Leinart, good pocket passer, poor runner. Has great vision for open recievers and hits them dead stride. Plays in a pro-type offense for 3 years. Has National Championship also. Has a Heisman Trophy also.

It is a given that a QB who runs the ball will not win a Super Bowl. You have to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers in pro-league also known as "RECIEVERS", not pop-warner.
__________________
The new era has begun.....
HomeBred_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger