Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-09-2006   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Young to Houston, Carr to the Raiders?

A very interesting read. It has us sending Carr to the Raiders for a 2nd round draft pick and possibly Doug Gabriel in a package. Carr would then be back close to home, near Fresno in Oakland.

Quote:
There was rampant speculation leading up to last night's National Championship that Texas junior quarterback VINCE YOUNG would opt to declare for the NFL Draft if the Longhorns captured the title with a win over USC in the Rose Bowl. Well, part one of that achievement took place, as Young, who set several records on the way to capturing the Offensive MVP Award in a 41-38 victory over the Trojans, was able to hoist the National Championship Trophy along with his teammates.
http://www.nlscouting.com/Spotlights/youngCarr.htm
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

This has been posted several times.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #3
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Its pretty bad when you have to recycle bin your own thread.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Well, if it's any consolation, I havent seen this posted anywhere either...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't read this, either. Thanks for posting it!
Old 01-15-2006   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12713 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Interesting speculation on the Carr/Young situation...

I was searching the net for something and found this article about the Texans drafting Vince Young and trading David Carr. Now I have never heard of the site and I am not in favor of trading Carr or a Young supporter, just thought it was kind of interesting...

LINK

So, now that we know the background on Carr and his contract status… where could the Texans find an ideal trading partner? Well, it would have to be a team that needs a starting quarterback, has a few high picks or young prospects, and finally the cap room to accept both Carr, and give him a new long-term contract. Where would we find such a place, easy, the Oakland Raiders. The Raiders will likely release veteran quarterback Kerry Collins, thus clearing out over $12 million dollars in cap space, secondly, Carr's arm strength, mobility and the fact that he would be returning to the West Coast, a place he knows and has very fond memories, since he grew up in Bakersfield, California before starring at Fresno State, definitely plays into what the Raiders desire in a future signal caller.

The Raiders would likely have to part with their 2006 second round choice (#39), which would give the Texans three of the Top-40 picks (#1, #33, #39) and a total of five choices on day one, as well as a potential young starting player along the lines of defensive back Nnamdi Asomugha, wide receiver Doug Gabriel or defensive lineman Tommy Kelly, as well as a conditional-type 2007 draft choice, possibly a third-or-fourth rounder that could convert into a second round choice based on Carr's playing time with the Raiders in 2006.

The Raiders would have a young, gun-slinging signal caller to pair with wide receivers Randy Moss, Jerry Porter, as well as running back LaMont Jordan, especially in an AFC West Division that is full of veteran quarterbacks. Meanwhile, the Texans add a "Hometown Hero", save long-term cap space, add a secondary piece to a still-developing roster, and with a total of five choices in the first three rounds of the draft could very well secure the services of multiple starters to combine with a young roster that would be stocked with Young, Domanick Davis (RB), Andre Johnson (WR), Jerome Mathis (WR), Chester Pitts (OT), Travis Johnson (DL), Antwan Peek (OLB), and Dunta Robinson (CB). The Texans finished ranked 30th of 32 teams in total offense, so with the right mixture of new head coach, draft choices and marketing a local product like Vince Young, a former Madison High School and University of Texas idol, would make for a much-improved product in 2006.
Old 01-15-2006   #7
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I could see Carr doing fairly well with the Raiders and Moss and Porter...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2006   #8
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't envision this happening, but if it does, Carr will do very well.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #9
wrestler4life
Veteran

So the why get rid of him? Just to make money?
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #10
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

supposedly that rumor has no credibility whatsoever
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #11
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

It is my belief that Carrs' short comings can be fixed just like Plummers were. But Plummer had to leave in order to make it happen.

Carr needs a new venue, new place new surroundings, new fans.
Old 01-15-2006   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

More like: "Young to Titans, Carr to stay put"

If Carr goes to the Raiders then we'll be seeing him in the Pro Bowl before we crack .500 IMO. I don't know what it is but it seems like every single time the Oilers (then) or the Texans (now) make a deal with the Raiders we always, without fail, come up on the short end of the deal.

I'm dead set against the Texans picking Vince Young. I think it's a big mistake. If it happens then I'll cheer for him and want it to work out. Just please don't trade Carr to the Raiders in that case. It's like a guarantee that the whole deal doesn't work out. Anybody but the Raiders.
Old 01-15-2006   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12713 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
More like: "Young to Titans, Carr to stay put"

If Carr goes to the Raiders then we'll be seeing him in the Pro Bowl before we crack .500 IMO. I don't know what it is but it seems like every single time the Oilers (then) or the Texans (now) make a deal with the Raiders we always, without fail, come up on the short end of the deal.

I'm dead set against the Texans picking Vince Young. I think it's a big mistake. If it happens then I'll cheer for him and want it to work out. Just please don't trade Carr to the Raiders in that case. It's like a guarantee that the whole deal doesn't work out. Anybody but the Raiders.
I agree I just thought it was interesting speculation. I would hate to see Carr go to the Raiders but think he would thrive there.
Old 01-15-2006   #14
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I would not be surprised to see David in Oakland, particularly, if AL Davis signs Pat Hill as his head coach. There have been a number of rumors to that affect. Lamonica was from the Fresno area and so was the QB then Head coach. I can't remember the latters name. Anyway there has been a strong Fresno connection to the Raiders successful days. There outstanding O-lineman Bishop played for Fresno State.

I think the attitude of the Texans' fans is going to make it very difficult for Carr. Texans seem to like a particular style of football and quite frankly it ain't the style David is use too nor does it match his skills. I've said in other posts I think David should really be looking elsewhere. I understand that Mr McNair likes David and thinks a lot of him, but unfortunately David's presence in Houstion does a disservice to both. I hope I'm wrong about the fan attitude thing if David remains with the Texans. Carr's family attends the games. Quite frankly, I could see him saying that's it if it gets too bad. He is very much a family man. The Texans have very big problems on both sides of the ball and I think they are once again at least 3 or 4 years away from being a contender. The only way I see that changing is if Mr. McNair is able to procur an outstanding set of coaches. So far nobody he has interviewed has a proven track record. The only proven coach out there that might move is Gruden, but we haven't seen any sign of that yet. I don't think Gruden is happy in Tampa. I don't think Cower, Dungy, Holmgren, Parcells or anyone of that caliber is going to be on the move. Gruden is still young and hungry.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #15
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

yeah i dont buy that at all
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #16
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
So, now that we know the background on Carr and his contract status… where could the Texans find an ideal trading partner? Well, it would have to be a team that needs a starting quarterback, has a few high picks or young prospects, and finally the cap room to accept both Carr, and give him a new long-term contract. Where would we find such a place, easy, the Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders would likely have to part with their 2006 second round choice (#39), which would give the Texans three of the Top-40 picks (#1, #33, #39) and a total of five choices on day one, as well as a potential young starting player along the lines of defensive back Nnamdi Asomugha, wide receiver Doug Gabriel or defensive lineman Tommy Kelly, as well as a conditional-type 2007 draft choice, possibly a third-or-fourth rounder that could convert into a second round choice based on Carr's playing time with the Raiders in 2006.
I like this idea but have no sense of how likely it is. Al Davis seems to like rougher hewn QBs than David Carr, so I'm thinking he wouldn't be as eager a trading partner as suggested, save for the Pat Hill business, which might make sense.

For the Texans this looks golden to me. Extra picks, extra players, AND Vince Young. That's a hard-to-beat package.

I guess the point is if you already pretty much know is not going to take you to the promised land, the best thing to do is try to (a) get out from under his contract, (b) get some extra picks and players, (c) get you're new foundation QB for the new team.

My thought is that Carr has a three or four more years as a so-so starter and then he's going to join the Legion of Backups. Young, on the other hand, is the rock on which you can build the team for the next decade.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #17
LCOOL
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
I like this idea but have no sense of how likely it is. Al Davis seems to like rougher hewn QBs than David Carr, so I'm thinking he wouldn't be as eager a trading partner as suggested, save for the Pat Hill business, which might make sense.

For the Texans this looks golden to me. Extra picks, extra players, AND Vince Young. That's a hard-to-beat package.

I guess the point is if you already pretty much know is not going to take you to the promised land, the best thing to do is try to (a) get out from under his contract, (b) get some extra picks and players, (c) get you're new foundation QB for the new team.

My thought is that Carr has a three or four more years as a so-so starter and then he's going to join the Legion of Backups. Young, on the other hand, is the rock on which you can build the team for the next decade.
I dont think uncle Charlie will let David go, I still think VY will be a Titan.
LCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #18
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

There are many teams looking for QBs this off-season. I think NYJ, MIA, ARZ, OAK, to name a few would love to have David Carr under center. If VY becomes are man, then look for several teams to put together offers for DC.

If we're smart, we should be able to play several teams against each other for the best package.

I wish Denver would have lost today, I want Kubiak to start putting his staff together!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #19
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan
There are many teams looking for QBs this off-season. I think NYJ, MIA, ARZ, OAK, to name a few would love to have David Carr under center. If VY becomes are man, then look for several teams to put together offers for DC.

If we're smart, we should be able to play several teams against each other for the best package.

I wish Denver would have lost today, I want Kubiak to start putting his staff together!
Numerous teams would love to have David Carr and are eagerly hoping that the Texans do trade him so they can turn him into a Pro-Bowler, but sorry to disappoint some of you, Carr is not going anywhere, he is the QB of the Texans.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #20
robwoody
Rookie

We are talking alot about the VY DC scenarios, but what about the Bush, Davis, Wells situation. If we draft Reggie, what happens to Davis and Wells? From what I have seen Bush is not an every down back. I know we keep Davis or Wells but which one? We don't need a kick returner either. Our only pro bowler was our KR. The way I see it we don't officially need a QB or RB. We need solid leadership. Casserly should have been the first FIRED!!!
robwoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read