Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-09-2006   #1
BattleRedTexan
Rookie

Default If I was the Owner/GM, here's why I would draft Young...

This is my best opinion of why the Texans should go ahead a draft Vince Young (by the way, I don't think Vince Young is the answer to our problems, but I do think he will end up being a great QB).

If I was the Owner/GM of the Houston Texans, I would draft Vince Young #1, because:

1) If you don't draft Young, and he ends up being a great QB, then you look bad; and basically you spend the rest of your days hearing about how you "blew it" by not drafting Vince Young, and how we could of/should of had him. Ultimately, this ends up hurting your pocket book (the team becomes less profitable because you have jaded fans -- this would be even worse if the Titans got him).

2) If you don't draft Young, and he ends up being a bust, then you can say, "look I made the right decision." The fans can breathe a sigh of relief, because we did not draft a "bust," and everyone is happy because we didn't get caught up in the hype and make a "mistake." (once again, this is a hypothetical situation in which Young ends up being a bust -- which I don't think will happen).

3) If you draft Young and he ends up being a great QB. You can say, "look, I listened to the fans, and I made the right decision." You are a HERO of an Owner/GM, because first of all you listened to the fans, secondly you picked a "winner," and lastly because you brought home the hometown guy.

4) PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT (this makes my case for drafting Young). If you draft Young, and he ends up being a "bust." Then, you always have an "out." Basically, you go with this arguement:
"Well, I just did what the fans wanted. I was under tremendous pressure from the Houston fans and community to draft Vince Young, and I listened to what the FANS WANTED. I had my mind made up to draft Reggie Bush, but the fans wanted Vince Young." In this scenerio, you are unhappy that Young turned out to be a "bust," but on the other hand at least you can say you have an Owner/GM that cares about the fans (nothing like a Bud Adams). This scenerio kind of stinks, because basically it means that you wasted a #1 draft pick, but on the other hand it gives the fans some ACCOUNTABILTY. Some of the blame SHOULD be passed on to the fans, and ultimately nothing is lost nothing is gained.

So ultimately, if you draft Vince Young #1, it is a win-win situation. In one scenerio he turns out to be a "bust," but at least you are an Owner/GM that cares about what the fans want -- plus some of the blame can be passed down to the fans that DEMANDED the Texans draft Vince Young. In the other scenerio, Vince Young turns out to be a great QB, and the rest is history...
BattleRedTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedTexan
4) PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT (this makes my case for drafting Young). If you draft Young, and he ends up being a "bust." Then, you always have an "out." Basically, you go with this arguement:
"Well, I just did what the fans wanted. I was under tremendous pressure from the Houston fans and community to draft Vince Young, and I listened to what the FANS WANTED. I had my mind made up to draft Reggie Bush, but the fans wanted Vince Young." In this scenerio, you are unhappy that Young turned out to be a "bust," but on the other hand at least you can say you have an Owner/GM that cares about the fans (nothing like a Bud Adams). This scenerio kind of stinks, because basically it means that you wasted a #1 draft pick, but on the other hand it gives the fans some ACCOUNTABILTY. Some of the blame SHOULD be passed on to the fans, and ultimately nothing is lost nothing is gained.

I really don't think the fans will care if that is who they wanted. A bust is a bust and they will boo him no matter how popular he was. There will still be trade Vince signs, fire Casserly signs, fire Kubiak signs, draft whoever is the flavor of the month signs. It won't matter. All fans care about is results and if you aren't performing then they do not care.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #3
Jerry
Veteran

As a fan (from Houston), I want the Texans to do whatever they can to field the team that has the best chances of winning a Super Bowl. I think that VY will be a good, maybe even great, QB, but I also think that Carr can too. We need help elsewhere (not at RB though). I don't see how having an out for screwing up is the best/most important though...Ditto what tulexan said there.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #4
Wordem
Veteran

Failure with Young is forgivable. Failure with Bush is not, especially if VY succeeds elsewhere. McNair is not going to screw this up.
Wordem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #5
CyberTexan
Veteran

Failure with Young is forgivable ? and not Bush ? LOL are you serious ? neither will be forgivable period to these fans LOL
CyberTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #6
BattleRedTexan
Rookie

Default Seriously though...

Seriously though...

When you have fans that are lining up outside of Reliant Stadium to sign a petition to sign Vince Young AND
Fans saying "let's boycott the team if they don't draft Vince Young,"
Then you have to take that seriously.

If I am the Texans, I am recording every TV News broadcast and Radio Show in Houston right now. The hype is freakin' ridiculous.

Then, when you have the initial press conference to introduce your #1 draft pick. You say, "we had planned on drafting Reggie Bush, but the fans asked for Vince Young." You make sure you have a video or recording of this...

That way, if Young does "bust," you have "proof" that you did it for the FANS.

And I disagree with the comment that you can't blame the fans, because when the fans are signing petitions and threatening petitions, you have to worry about TICKET SALES. As Bob McNair said in the last press conference:
"The head coach is judged by wins and losses, and the Owner is judged by the how many people are in the stands."

McNair is under PRESSURE right now to draft Vince Young. It seems to me that a large majority of Houstonians are saying "draft Vince Young." (if this is not true, then the "don't draft Vince Young" fans sure are not making themselves very visible). The fans and the Houston community are creating a situation where McNair has NO CHOICE but to draft Vince Young.

If you are against drafting Vince Young, then I suggest you form a group of people to go down in front of Reliant Stadium and make your voice heard. Maybe you can show McNair, that the entire city of Houston will not turn on him if the Texans choose not to draft Vince Young.

I, for one, will support the team no matter what they end up doing...
Old 01-09-2006   #7
CyberTexan
Veteran

See your a Loyal fan as i am I will be a Texan fan no matter who they pick , it is a business decision and you cant make every fan happy but the only way to make most of them happy is to draft Young or Bush picking either one will make most the fans happy , if you trade down you will make even less happy so no matter which one Young or Bush either will be the best choice as far as the fans are concerned
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2006   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

McNair is going to do what is going to help the team the most. A winning team without Young will put more people in the stadium than a losing team with Young. If you think that people are going to show up to watch a losing team because of one player than you are mistaken.
Old 01-09-2006   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not really sold on the ticket sales arguement. Please correct me if I am wrong, but weren't there 50,000 PSL's sold? That is about 75% of the stadium sold out with money in hand for the year. That leaves you just 25% to sell out for each game. And I have no inkling about the boxes, but you know those will be sold out.

To find 20k paying fans, if my estimation is correct, in a city of 4 million is not hard whether we have Vince or Bush. Follow the pick up with wins and in the end it will not have mattered if we drafted Snarfee McGee with the #1.
Old 01-09-2006   #10
BattleRedTexan
Rookie

Default The team may still be a losing team...

I hate to say this, but the team may be a losing team with or WITHOUT Vince Young (the Texans didn't have Vince Young this year, and they were a losing team).

So if you have a losing team (hopefully not, BUT it could happen):

A losing team with Vince Young SELLS MORE TICKETS, than
a losing team without Vince Young.

I would be willing to bet that you could sell more tickets to watch Vince Young lose, than to watch David Carr lose. Just my opinion...

But it doesn't make much difference, since Vince Young is going to be winner no matter where he goes (I just hope he doesn't go to the Titans).
Old 01-09-2006   #11
CyberTexan
Veteran

we dont know for sure if Young is going to be a success or Bush for that matter either one or both could be a bust , if one is a bust and the other not I just hope we make the right choice
Old 01-09-2006   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedTexan
I would be willing to bet that you could sell more tickets to watch Vince Young lose, than to watch David Carr lose. Just my opinion...
They will sell out games no matter who is playing. The difference is that some people who have bought tickets just won't go to the games which means that the team loses out on concession and merchandise sales.

People will come to watch Reggie Bush to lose. Two weeks ago we were competing in the Bush Bowl and people were going nuts when we "won". Reggie is still the exciting player that he was two weeks ago and people will want to watch him play too. There are a lot of UT fans in Houston, but I am guessing that there aren't 3.98 million UT and Vince Young fans.
Old 01-10-2006   #13
BattleRedTexan
Rookie

Default I agree with you...

I agree with you that people will pay to see Reggie Bush, but

Vince Young also ends up being a success, people will still say that we should have drafted Vince Young.

Especially if we draft Bush, and the team has another losing season. You will constantly hear: "See, I told you we should have drafted Vince Young." Even if the losing had nothing to do with Reggie Bush or David Carr.

People in this city have decided that Vince Young is the answer for the Texans. Therefore, I say you draft him. If he ends up being phenomenal then that is good for us. If he ends up being a "bust" then as an owner/GM all of the blame doesn't lie squarely on you. You can just say: "Well I guess EVERYONE was wrong."

Heck, Bush and Young could both end up being "busts" for all we know (but this is highly unlikely).
Old 01-10-2006   #14
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

It doesn't matter what your needs are, you draft the best player available.

None of the linemen are gonna grade out better than the 3 Young/Leinert/Bush.
Old 01-10-2006   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
It doesn't matter what your needs are, you draft the best player available.

None of the linemen are gonna grade out better than the 3 Young/Leinert/Bush.
But would a 2007 1st, a 2006 2nd, 2007 2nd, and OT D. Ferguson grade out better than Young/Line Art/Bush?
Old 01-10-2006   #16
SteelBlueToro
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordem
Failure with Young is forgivable.
PUT THE KOOL-AID DOWN!!!
Old 01-10-2006   #17
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 4153 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
They will sell out games no matter who is playing. The difference is that some people who have bought tickets just won't go to the games which means that the team loses out on concession and merchandise sales.

People will come to watch Reggie Bush to lose. Two weeks ago we were competing in the Bush Bowl and people were going nuts when we "won". Reggie is still the exciting player that he was two weeks ago and people will want to watch him play too. There are a lot of UT fans in Houston, but I am guessing that there aren't 3.98 million UT and Vince Young fans.
tulexan you are flat our wrong. I own 2 PSLs in the field level with my parents. I fly down from New York frickin City to watch at least 4 home games a year. If the Texans pass on VY, I will be selling my PSLs and I won't spend another dime on the Texans. I will donate all of my Texans t-shirts, clothing, etc. to Goodwill. I am not alone in feeling this way. My friends who are also season ticket holders and who like me were diehard Oilers fans intend on doing the same thing. The Texans will be dead to us. The Texans are not the Oilers who I grew to love as a kid.

A sold out Reliant is not a lock especially if we pass on VY. I can see a lot of fans not renewing their tickets.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #18
SteelBlueToro
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight
I can see a lot of fans not renewing their tickets.
It won't be because there's no VY - It will be because the team still stinks. Was VY here in year 1? WINNING CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!
Old 01-10-2006   #19
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight
tulexan you are flat our wrong. I own 2 PSLs in the field level with my parents. I fly down from New York frickin City to watch at least 4 home games a year. If the Texans pass on VY, I will be selling my PSLs and I won't spend another dime on the Texans. I will donate all of my Texans t-shirts, clothing, etc. to Goodwill. I am not alone in feeling this way. My friends who are also season ticket holders and who like me were diehard Oilers fans intend on doing the same thing. The Texans will be dead to us. The Texans are not the Oilers who I grew to love as a kid.

A sold out Reliant is not a lock especially if we pass on VY. I can see a lot of fans not renewing their tickets.

TexansFight. How can you say that because the Texans pass on VY that you will abandon them as a fan. Your are more of a problem to the Texans than anything. And for others here to say if we draft VY and he is a bust then it is Unforgivable. You people kill me.
Old 01-10-2006   #20
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
But would a 2007 1st, a 2006 2nd, 2007 2nd, and OT D. Ferguson grade out better than Young/Line Art/Bush?
I like that deal, but I'm not for taking Ferguson in the top 5. If we trade back I think we should take the draft's top defensive player in Mario Williams. I'm just assuming we switch to a 4-3, and seeing as how we have no prototypical edge rusher for a 4-3 I think we should take the blue-chip DE and pick up a lineman or two in later rounds.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read