Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-09-2006   #1
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My new 7 round draft. There should be no arguing with this list.

The Texans trade #1 overall to Oakland for #7 overall?.
The Texans recieve Robert Gallery, this years 2nd and next years first.

The raiders take their pick of the top QB.

The Texans take Mario Williams, DE, North Carolina St. with their first round pick.
In the second round, with pick #33, we take Ko Simpson FS S. Carolina.
With our other second, we take Davin Joseph OG Oklahoma
With our first third, we take CB Jason Allen Tenn.
With our other third, we take LB Thomas Howard, UTEP
In the fourth we take TE David Thomas, Texas
With our fifth rounder we take RB Maurice Drew, UCLA
In the sixth we take QB Barrick Nealy, Texas St.
In the seventh we take DT Roderkus Wright, Grossmont JC, CA

Last edited by YoungTexanFan; 01-09-2006 at 08:24 PM.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #2
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

will Drew fall that far? I was under the impression he was pretty good.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan
will Drew fall that far? I was under the impression he was pretty good.
He is pretty good. He played for a major college. He is a scat back, and very similar to Bush. The top of the draft is stocked with top tier RB prospects and he should fall once the top ones are taken.

Maybe I would switch Drew with Davis. I still want both, just maybe at different spots.
Old 01-09-2006   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like the trade idea you must also realize that Gallery would be the top ranked OT over any in this years draft combined with two years of NFL experience would be a plus.

then we go defense with our 1st pick as we change to the 4-3 improving the pass rush another good idea

Ko Simpson FS S. Carolina- never seen him play, maybe you could provide a scouting report.

Davin Joseph OG Oklahoma- should be a solid starting Pro Guard that has the experince to add depth at the tackle position.

CB Jason Allen Tenn- I doubt he slips this far, will depend on his recovery will fill a definte need.

LB Thomas Howard, UTEP- going to be a project but I have no problem adding another LB.

RB Maurice Drew, UCLA- would depend if we resign Wells.

QB Barrick Nealy, Texas St.- need another scouting report.

DT Roderkus Wright, Grossmont JC, CA- ditto

all in all you seem to be focused on need which is ok, more along the lines that Casserly likes to use anyway
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I really like the trade idea you must also realize that Gallery would be the top ranked OT over any in this years draft combined with two years of NFL experience would be a plus.

then we go defense with our 1st pick as we change to the 4-3 improving the pass rush another good idea

Ko Simpson FS S. Carolina- never seen him play, maybe you could provide a scouting report.

Davin Joseph OG Oklahoma- should be a solid starting Pro Guard that has the experince to add depth at the tackle position.

CB Jason Allen Tenn- I doubt he slips this far, will depend on his recovery will fill a definte need.

LB Thomas Howard, UTEP- going to be a project but I have no problem adding another LB.

RB Maurice Drew, UCLA- would depend if we resign Wells.

QB Barrick Nealy, Texas St.- need another scouting report.

DT Roderkus Wright, Grossmont JC, CA- ditto

all in all you seem to be focused on need which is ok, more along the lines that Casserly likes to use anyway

I actually got the idea for Gallery from you beer.

Ko Simpson Report: Well, for those that may not know a lot about Ko Simpson. He is a ball hawking Safety of the highest order, but he also posseses the ability to lay people out. Ko will probably not have a monster Combine, as I expect him to run in the 4.5 range. What he is though, is a pure football player who a high football IQ. If you watched him play against UGA either of the last 2 years you would have sworn he was the best Safety in the nation and he grades out that way in my book. At 6'2", 210 lbs he has the kind of size you want as well as good enough speed to cover a large territory in zones, and can go man up with most backs & ends.

I have been doing some research and have seen Allen as far down as the fourth. His injury is supposedly "career threatening" and he will have to have a GREAT combine to rise back up.

Howard is quite a project but has EXCELLENT speed, and is faster than hawk and most others. He is more local and his national hype has died down considerably. He makes the needed tackles.

Roderuk Wright courtsey of http://www.nlscouting.com/Spotlights/RWright.htm
Try not to laugh when you read these stats, but keep reading to better understand how they came about… 65 tackles, 45 tackles for loss, 26.5 sacks, 66 QB hurries, five blocked kicks, five forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries and four pass breakups in 13 JC contests this year… games reviewed include San Jacinto, Victor Valley, Antelope Valley, College of the Canyons and City College of San Francisco; many of which he only played into the early portion of the second half…

Nealy - http://www.draftshowcase.com/BarrickNealy.htm
Old 01-09-2006   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
you must also realize that Gallery would be the top ranked OT over any in this years draft combined with two years of NFL experience would be a plus.
This I do realize, and he INSTANTLY becomes our LT, no questions asked. Pitts moves to RT.

Quote:
Yes, I took into account our again D-line, and the likelyhood of a switch to the 4-3. Mario is someone teams need to game plan for seperatly. He helps our secondary with his pass rush ability.

Quote:
I am focused mostly on need, but I did take a few non need picks, mostly based on BPA, in the latter rounds. I have us taking a QB, RB, and DT.

Though beer, I feel my draft would turn out 100x anything cass could put out. Plus, forget his lines, because THIS is how I roll.
Old 01-09-2006   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would the Raiders trade Gallery when they have line problems of their own?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2006   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny

This isnt scientic vinny.

However, I feel the Raiders will fall in love with Bush/Young and I also feel they are trigger happy. Gallery has also not lived up to his draft position of #2 overall.

I think it is unlikely they give him up, but in order to secure that top spot, we will ask for him. They are a team that seems willing to gamble.

Aside, this is only a mock, and just a different version to help pass the time until after the combine.
Old 01-09-2006   #9
Xman
Veteran

Hasn't Gallery been a bit of a flop so far?

Also, Mario Williams will go by pick 6 at the latest, probably 4 (top six appear to be bush/leinert/VY/Fergy/Mario/Hawk). But JWilliams would be ok at #7.

I doubt Nealy is there in the 6th - more like 4th round.
Instead, we could use that pick on a kicker.

I would think we go for more linemen - since that is the strength of the draft. Specifically, pick 33 should net a sweet OL or DL that drops (a lineman projected in the 18-25 range will drop - it happens every year).

One deal I would like to do: #1 for #9 and Roy Williams (even better if we could trade down a pick or two an then do this deal). Detroit is desperate enough for a qb that they would do this. AJ and Roy would be a sweet tandem.
At #9, we take whoever falls: bush/leinert/VY/Fergy/Mario/Hawk should go top 6, JWilliams would be sweet at CB, Winston would work at LOT; if these are gone we go for Ngato (a stud NT if we are staying in the 3-4) or a pass rusher like Hali or Kiwanuka (or trade down again).
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Because Vinny, the Raiders are interested in helping us trade down, to make our team better. Duh!

Just think of it like this guys. If we had Gallery, and the 7th pick in the draft, would you trade for it?

Of course you wouldnt. You would laugh at the proposal.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman
Hasn't Gallery been a bit of a flop so far?

Also, Mario Williams will go by pick 6 at the latest, probably 4 (top six appear to be bush/leinert/VY/Fergy/Mario/Hawk). But JWilliams would be ok at #7.

I doubt Nealy is there in the 6th - more like 4th round.
Instead, we could use that pick on a kicker.

I would think we go for more linemen - since that is the strength of the draft. Specifically, pick 33 should net a sweet OL or DL that drops (a lineman projected in the 18-25 range will drop - it happens every year).

One deal I would like to do: #1 for #9 and Roy Williams (even better if we could trade down a pick or two an then do this deal). Detroit is desperate enough for a qb that they would do this. AJ and Roy would be a sweet tandem.
At #9, we take whoever falls: bush/leinert/VY/Fergy/Mario/Hawk should go top 6, JWilliams would be sweet at CB, Winston would work at LOT; if these are gone we go for Ngato (a stud NT if we are staying in the 3-4) or a pass rusher like Hali or Kiwanuka (or trade down again).
Nealy is a D-II prospect and is considered very raw and would be a project. He has run a spread similar to VY. He will not go in the 4th.
Old 01-09-2006   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Also, Oakland appears to actually have the 6th overall pick.
Old 01-09-2006   #13
Jerry
Veteran

There is no way that Oakland does that deal. They are essentially trading 3 first rounders and a 2nd rounder (or 2+2 if you follow the whole first rounder next year = 2nd rounder this year thing) to move up 5/6 spots. While Gallery has not lived up to expectations of the #2 pick, he certainly has performed very solidly for the Raiders and would be our best O-lineman (just a bit better than Pitts) right now.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

ok, aside from the gallery trade...does anyone have anything to add to the actual mock i took the effort to create? the picks? questions besides gallery?
Old 01-09-2006   #15
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt it could happen, but I could get behind that draft. Not perfect, but heck, when's the last time ANY team had a perfect draft. Meets a LOT of our needs.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #16
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the 7th round pick. I dont think Howard will drop that far. Other than that, its pretty good. My only issue is if Howard does not drop that far, we dont get a Linebacker. I think we have to decent safeties in Brown and Earl, and instead of Ko Simpson we pick Bobby Carpenter of OSU. But either way, its a good mock.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
I like the 7th round pick. I dont think Howard will drop that far. Other than that, its pretty good. My only issue is if Howard does not drop that far, we dont get a Linebacker. I think we have to decent safeties in Brown and Earl, and instead of Ko Simpson we pick Bobby Carpenter of OSU. But either way, its a good mock.
We have two SS's, with one playing FS. Those two can battle it out for SS, but we need a true ballhawking FS. Simpson fits that mold. I REALLY want a LB, and instead of Mario in the first, I might later have us take A. Brooks if he tests well enough (assuming he declares). But all of that will be in a different mock.

I think howard will fall because of the staple of top tier LB's. LB's tend to slide as it is, and Hawk may have trouble going in the top 10, and then there are maybe 6 other LB's who could go in the 1-2. That is not even counting the 3-4 OLB/DE hybrids that ALWAYS rise up like manny lawson.
Old 01-09-2006   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
I doubt it could happen, but I could get behind that draft. Not perfect, but heck, when's the last time ANY team had a perfect draft. Meets a LOT of our needs.
i think most people could get behind this draft.

I focused mostly on our needs early, and BPA or "high ceiling" prospects in the latter rounds.
Old 01-09-2006   #19
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I have read, Thomas Davis could go as early as the second round after his Rose Bowl performance.
Old 01-09-2006   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
From what I have read, Thomas Davis could go as early as the second round after his Rose Bowl performance.
I really do not think he will.

Lewis, Davis, Pope, Day, Byrd, Klop...from Col.,and that guy from tusla all are rated pretty highly. I see him going no earlier than the 4th, regardless. His name will also fall of around the time of the combine.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read