Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-09-2006   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mathis First All Pro Texan

Mathis is our first All Pro Texan I think. Walker, Glenn and AJ were pro bowlers only I do believe.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2285783

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #2
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Congrats to Jerome. He deserved it. Plus its nice to have a thread about someone that's actually on the team. heh
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Congrats Mathis, I sure hope your agent had some provisions in your contract in the form of an incentive clause, etc. for an achievement such as this.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #4
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

I thought both Andre Johnson and Gary Walker were selected as All-Pro's as well.
Old 01-09-2006   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Congrats Mathis, I sure hope your agent had some provisions in your contract in the form of an incentive clause, etc. for an achievement such as this.
I doubt it since no single person could have predicted this kind of sucess. But congrats to him and heres to hoping he does have an incentive laden contract.
Old 01-09-2006   #6
titan hater
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Mathis is our first All Pro Texan I think. Walker, Glenn and AJ were pro bowlers only I do believe.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2285783

I hope whoever our HC is actually uses him in the offense...
titan hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
I thought both Andre Johnson and Gary Walker were selected as All-Pro's as well.
They both made the Pro Bowl but being picked as an All Pro is the more prestigious award.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Right on!

A bit of good news in a bottle floating on a sea of poo. Last season just brings out the dung comparisons, 'eh?

Congrats to Mathis, though!!
Old 01-09-2006   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 170382 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think very many 4th round picks have clauses in their contracts. None the less, Congrats Jerome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #10
BREAZE
Veteran

With Bush to the rescue who needs Mathis? (sarcasm)
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
I dont think very many 4th round picks have clauses in their contracts. None the less, Congrats Jerome!
Hey, that's what lawyers/agents are for. Mathis outha sue for malpractice
if he wasn't taken care of by his. Oh by the way, least we forget, gotta give Cass a big atta-boy for finding this-diamond-in-the-rough.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #12
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Who says speed isn't everything?

Congrats to Jerome. A major award for him, and the franchise. One positive from Casserly's resume.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #13
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

A big congrats to Jerome, on the Pro-Bowl and being named an All-Pro.

Just more proof that small school talent can and does succed in the NFL.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wooohooooo for Johnny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
I doubt it since no single person could have predicted this kind of sucess. But congrats to him and heres to hoping he does have an incentive laden contract.
Probably not predicted this kind of sucess but IIRC, when the draft happened last season there were plenty of people on the MB who were excited about that particular choice, lots of MB hype for a 4th rounder.

As an aside, let me add that I would very much like to see Joe Marciano as a special teams coach for the Texans next season.

He is very well-liked by his players, a terrific motivator and teacher, enthusiastic, ST has done very well for the Texans, and is well thought of by various staff members in the Texans organization.

From what I understand, the new HC has say as to who they hire for various positions, and I hope he comes back and wants to come back.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #15
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick

As an aside, let me add that I would very much like to see Joe Marciano as a special teams coach for the Texans next season.

He is very well-liked by his players, a terrific motivator and teacher, enthusiastic, ST has done very well for the Texans, and is well thought of by various staff members in the Texans organization.

From what I understand, the new HC has say as to who they hire for various positions, and I hope he comes back and wants to come back.

cant say I agree with that.

MATHIS has done very well for the Texans, everyone else hasnt been very good. Cant coach speed, those returns were all Mathis.

Kris Brown lost us like 4 games this year- hes Marciano's responsibility. our punting was worse than years before, and punt returns were non existant.
Old 01-09-2006   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Please look at the Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
cant say I agree with that.

MATHIS has done very well for the Texans, everyone else hasnt been very good. Cant coach speed, those returns were all Mathis.

Kris Brown lost us like 4 games this year- hes Marciano's responsibility. our punting was worse than years before, and punt returns were non existant.
Look at the stats. Look at the Texans special team stats since our existence. Most years the ST performed way better than the rest of the team did--which suggests he took the same talent that was on the rest of the team, and coached them up pretty well.

Also, I was at a clinic where one of the assistant coaches was saying that Marciano was the one that was selling that we needed to pick Mathis. And this same clinic, the coach showed some film of kick return where Mathis got a TD--it went exactly like Coach Joe drew up the play. Had Coach Joe not been sold on Mathis, and we mighta ended up with Swinton.

I am not easily impressed with people, but the few times I have seen Coach Joe break down film and teach people stuff, he blew me away. He makes you want to run through brick walls for him.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #17
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Congratulations, Jerome. I for one wouldn't have picked a rookie receiver from a D1-AA school as being the first All-Pro for the Texans, but it is a well deserved honor.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad Mathis got the All-Pro. He deserves it.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #19
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Congratulations to Jerome Mathis! He was our best player this season and hopefully one day he'll be an All-Pro at wide receiver too.
Old 01-09-2006   #20
WaylonJennings67
Rookie

Mathis makes it fun, that's for sure, just like WHITE SHOES
WaylonJennings67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read