Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How much for the #1 overall

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They're gauranteed a contract right?? Does it depend on the Position, or do they cost the same regardless??

Then again, they don't have to sign do they??

thunderkyss said:
They're gauranteed a contract right?? Does it depend on the Position, or do they cost the same regardless??

Then again, they don't have to sign do they??
Nothing's guaranteed in this world. There are skill positions so yes....it can depend on the position on just how much money they'll make.

The catch with top draft picks is the guaranteed money that's built into the contract. So yes, some things are guaranteed in life - once the contract is signed, anyway. Teams can cut players at any point and the only thing they have to pay is the guaranteed portion of the contract. For high draft picks, this can amount to quite a bit. Ced Benson's holdout last year, for instance, was primarily due to a disagreement as to how much guaranteed money he should receive. QBs have historically received higher totals of guaranteed money, I believe, as well as higher-dollar total contracts. Any #1 draft pick is going to receive a huge chunk of money from the signing team, regardless of whether they ever play a down in the NFL.

SBTexans08 said:
Nothing's guaranteed in this world. There are skill positions so yes....it can depend on the position on just how much money they'll make.

very well put.

So regardless, whether we pick Bush, or Young, They'll cost us about the same..... and neither pick will get us over the hump... Even if Young is sitting on the Bench, and Bush doesn't run for more than DD, Wells, and Morency all put together??

Young would get paid more than Bush because he is a QB though (I imagine a 49 mil deal opposed to something like 44 with a mil or two difference in guaranteed money)

Alex Smith and Eli both got over $50 million, so I think Young would get $55 million as the #1 pick and Bush would probably get $48-50 million as the #1 pick.

Back