Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-09-2006   #1
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan
Default The OTHER 6,5 230 Texas quarterback

I know everyone has a man-crush on Vince Young right now and rightfully so, he had an awesome game. But there is another quarterback from San Marcos 30 miles south on I-35 that demands some consideration. Barrick Nealy lead his team to the semifinals of the D-1AA playoffs and lost in a controversial way. Read the scouting report on Vince Young and you have read it for Barrick Nealy. Sure he played against D-1AA schools but if you watched the game against A&M you know he has a few tricks up his sleeves. I watched him all year and he is very similar with Young the only exception is I dont know how good of a leader he is. Scouts are also talking about him being a WR, and best of all, a 2nd day pick. Draft him, use him as a utility guy, or keep him as a 2nd-3rd stringer.
http://txstatebobcats.collegesports....barrick00.html
Another guy to watch from Texas State is DT Fred Evans, reminded me of Robaire Smith, 6,5 300. Also a 2nd day pick prob.
http://txstatebobcats.collegesports....ns_fred00.html
Both will be playing in the Hula Bowl on January 21st.

Last edited by CoastalTexan; 01-09-2006 at 04:22 PM.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #2
Jerry
Veteran

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...rospect_ID=758

Not too much about him though, in terms of actual speed. Could be a good 6/7th round pick though
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #3
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've read he runs a 4.5, which is prob true. I cant tell you how many times i saw him break through the secondary and score. He seems more hesistant to run the ball than vince does. In the A&M game he didnt run much because I'm guessing they didnt want to get him hurt on a useless "gimme game" for A&M.
Old 01-09-2006   #4
MikeMc
All Pro

Nah, he has worked on his passing skills more and did not need to run as much. Nealy is more refined as a passer than Young. And 4.5 speed is accurate.

Hell, if Spergon Wynn can be drafted in the 6th rd, why not Nealy?? Nealy is a lot better than Wynn was!
Old 01-09-2006   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc
Nah, he has worked on his passing skills more and did not need to run as much. Nealy is more refined as a passer than Young. And 4.5 speed is accurate.

Hell, if Spergon Wynn can be drafted in the 6th rd, why not Nealy?? Nealy is a lot better than Wynn was!
True, I have also just included him in my new 7 round mock draft. I have the Texans taking him in the 6th. Give me some positive feedback on my new mock please.
Old 01-09-2006   #6
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

I've heard/read Nealy could go higher than 6/7.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
I've heard/read Nealy could go higher than 6/7.
He is a poor mans' VY. He is even more raw than young, but his passing is more refined. He is a Div. II player however, and fairly unknown on the national scene.
Old 01-09-2006   #8
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Texas State is a D-1AA. He played against Texas A&M and some good playoff teams (D-1AA does it right and has a playoff system). He went to UH (D-1A) but left after the coach got fired if I recall correctly, then came to Texas State. Nealy was overshadowed by Mcneil (A&M) and Young(UT) the year he came out of high school. Having watched all the home games at Texas State I can say he is pretty good and D-1A talent. He was head and shoulders above any other QB's we played with the exception being Mcneil.
Here is how both did against Texas A&M

Barrick Nealy Passing 26/34 Yards 378 YPC 11.1 TD's 3 INT 1 Rushing Attempts 5 Yards36 AVG7.2 TD1 Long 38

Vince Young Passing 13/24 Yards162 YPC6.8 TD's1 INT1 Rushing Attempts11 Yards 19 AVG1.7 TD0 Long 12

Yeah I know someone says, "Well Txstate lost while UT won" I say look at the supporting cast on Txstate compared to UT. Keep in mind Young and Nealy run the same offense as well.

Last edited by CoastalTexan; 01-09-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2006   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

He sounds good. Maybe he can be kinda like a Randle El or something. Maybe doing a few trick plays.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
He sounds good. Maybe he can be kinda like a Randle El or something. Maybe doing a few trick plays.
possibly, but he is more likely to sit and learn for a while, while he adjust to a pro style offense. I have posted a scouting report on him under my new 7 round mock draft.
Old 01-16-2006   #11
CoastalTexan
Veteran

I found some videos of Barrick Nealy doin this thing.

http://www.bobcatfans.com/video/barrick.wmv

http://www.bobcatfans.com/video/txst_am_sm.wmv

Notable players include #55 Fred Evans. #86 Markee White 6,7 WR. #1 Barrick Nealy
Old 01-16-2006   #12
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc

Hey why did he stop playing for UH? I like that QB. He did so well while he was here.
Old 01-16-2006   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda
Hey why did he stop playing for UH? I like that QB. He did so well while he was here.
Injury problem.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #14
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda
He was injured in a game against UT and was gone for the season.
We were disappointed to lose him at UH but when Dimel was fired and Art Briles was hired, I think Nealy saw the writing on the wall. Kevin Kolb knew Briles system and was to have a huge advantage over Nealy.

Nealy transferred to Div II.Texas State so he would not have to sit out a year. He is an outstanding athlete.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #15
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

i think i had a class with that dude...he seemed cool

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #16
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, I was wondering what happened to him. Nealy has alot of talent. I'd like to see his game in the pros.
Old 01-16-2006   #17
MikeMc
All Pro

If you post that Texas State is Div II, then your whole argument is worth squat! SWTSU has not been Div II in almost 20 years! They did win two (back to back) Div II Nat'l C-Ships.

They are in DI-AA! Geez people...get the facts right before you open your mouths!

The fact that you have no clue what division they play in should say something about your analysis of Barrick Nealy. Sure, let's put a 6'5 230 lb QB in at slot (a la Randal El) or use him as a "slash" type like Kordell! Nope, the kid has passing skills and is even more elusive than VY.

He did not have the OL or skill players that VY & UT had, yet he dusted the Aggies!!! If you watched that game, you'd have thought he could have played for OU or another major school.
Old 01-16-2006   #18
CoastalTexan
Veteran

You can see his highlights against A&M in my post above. That was not a fluke game either, he did that all year.
Old 01-17-2006   #19
College Texan
Veteran

I seen him a few times, He throws alot better than Vince and has better arm strength. He's an elusive kind of fast, I wou;dn't mind having him as consolation to not drafting Vince.
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006   #20
kbourda
Hall of Fame

The times I saw him play he showed a ton of promise. Looked a little wild but I thought it could be cured with coaching. From the sounds of it, he has progressed. Good for him, I like feel good stories like this.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read