Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-09-2006   #1
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who has the final say

If McNair has the final say in the draft Vince Young will be a Texan. Because Young will sell tickets.

If Casserly or our next head coach has the final say bush will be a texan. Because Casserly is on the hot seat and Bush would make the Texans better quicker than Young.

Although Bush will sell alot of tickets too once the fans see him break a couple of 60 yard td runs.

Also if its a 2/3rds vote on who we take Bush would be the pick. IMO

I still say we just flip a coin and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Casserly and the head coach will definitely have a say in who the #1 draft pick is. I wouldn't even be surprised if Reeves has a say in it. McNair has admitted that he is not the most knowledgeable person about football and has surrounded himself with people who do know more. I think he is going to make a decision on what is the best for the team, not just the most popular one.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #3
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

McNair has said they are resigning Carr and that he is our QB, and we will not take Vince Young at #1. It is McNair's decision to make and he's not going to take Young.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #4
groutfulone
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Casserly and the head coach will definitely have a say in who the #1 draft pick is. I wouldn't even be surprised if Reeves has a say in it. McNair has admitted that he is not the most knowledgeable person about football and has surrounded himself with people who do know more. I think he is going to make a decision on what is the best for the team, not just the most popular one.
You may be right about this, but McNair knows that ultimately he is the final say on any matter with the team and I am sure he is aware of the unique situation this draft offers him. He will not forget all those empty seats at the end of last year.
groutfulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #5
groutfulone
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
McNair has said they are resigning Carr and that he is our QB, and we will not take Vince Young at #1. It is McNair's decision to make and he's not going to take Young.
Where did McNair say they will not take Young?
Old 01-09-2006   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

By saying that they are going to extend David Carr's contract and that they will pick a player who will immediately help the team.

Even the most loyal UT fans can admit that Vince is a project and will not have an immediate impact on the team.
Old 01-09-2006   #7
groutfulone
Rookie

Quote:
By saying that they are going to extend David Carr's contract and that they will pick a player who will immediately help the team.

Even the most loyal UT fans can admit that Vince is a project and will not have an immediate impact on the team.
Saying that they are going to extend Carr's contract does not mean they won't draft VY. That is not a logical argument. He needs to be re-signed to be able to trade him if necessary and if VY is not ready, like you believe, then he will need to play.

VY will immediately help the team. Reggie Bush will not make to O line better as a threat and will not open up more options for Carr. He is a utility back and not an every down back. He is no more dangerous to opossing d's than DD. Bush's only real impact will be as a returner. Don't misunderstand me, he will be a decent running back; but not a legend.

VY will be a legend. And when the O line can't stop anyone, he will just out run the defense and if they get close to him, he will accurately throw it to someone who is also worried about VY running loose in the secondary.
An immediate impact. Even with a sorry O line.
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2006   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

They said on TV last night that they are resigning Carr to the 3 year extension. They said they would entertain offers for him, but only if they are of equal value, and you're not going to get anything more than a 2nd round pick for Carr, which is not worth the $8 million cap hit for resigning him. They also said they would not draft a QB in the first round with Carr here. Vince will not make an immediate impact on our team. He needs at least a year of work to be ready, not to mention with our OLine he would get run over too, and Vince's accuracy currently extends to about 20-25 yards downfield and he lofts the ball a lot, which will lead to numerous INTs in the NFL.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

You do realize that if we sign David Carr and then trade him that we have to eat his entire accelerated bonus next year right? And then you have to sign another player to take his spot to be the starting QB in front of Vince for a year or two.

And if we did have Carr and Young on the same team at the same time, then you will have almost 10% of your salary cap number sitting on the bench not contributing at all.

Reggie is not just a utility back and he is much more dangerous to opposing defenses because of his versatility, speed, and moves. He will most likely play several plays as a running back, several plays as a receiver, and maybe return a few punts. He will have an immediate impact on the team because he will be playing rather than sitting on the bench.
Old 01-09-2006   #10
groutfulone
Rookie

Quote:
You do realize that if we sign David Carr and then trade him that we have to eat his entire accelerated bonus next year right? And then you have to sign another player to take his spot to be the starting QB in front of Vince for a year or two.

And if we did have Carr and Young on the same team at the same time, then you will have almost 10% of your salary cap number sitting on the bench not contributing at all.

Reggie is not just a utility back and he is much more dangerous to opposing defenses because of his versatility, speed, and moves. He will most likely play several plays as a running back, several plays as a receiver, and maybe return a few punts. He will have an immediate impact on the team because he will be playing rather than sitting on the bench.
I do realize the cap implications and I don't care. Because I think VY should start immediately. He is a student of the game, studies his playbook and opposing defenses voraciously and would learn a new offense just as well as Carr would next year with a new coach. And Carr would be an excellent backup to VY.

And Yes, Bush will be a utility back in the NFL just like his butt was sitting on the bench for USC's most important play of the year.
Old 01-09-2006   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by groutfulone
And Yes, Bush will be a utility back in the NFL just like his butt was sitting on the bench for USC's most important play of the year.
Why do you think that Pete Carroll doesn't have a job in the NFL anymore?

If anything, having him out of that play showed the arrogance of Pete Carroll. He was basically saying to Texas "we are going to run up the middle and there is nothing that you can do about it". Even Mack Brown said that they knew that USC would run right up the middle when they saw the package that USC put out there.
Old 01-09-2006   #12
groutfulone
Rookie

Quote:
Why do you think that Pete Carroll doesn't have a job in the NFL anymore?
Because he is busy turning around one of the most storied football schools in this country and winning national titles. Pete Carroll ran that play because it made the most sense. White is more dependable to get 2 yards than Bush. Bush is little and when you are keyed in on him he is very very stopable. White is a more dependable running back and that is why Bush was riding pine.

On the other hand: when Mack needed to win, who had the ball....
Old 01-09-2006   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

I never said to give it to Bush, but he commands attention from the defense. He could be put out there strictly as a decoy and he would have been more valuable than sitting on the bench. You can't afford to put 11 in the box like Texas did when you have Reggie Bush lined up as a WR
Old 01-09-2006   #14
66cobra
Veteran

Yes, Carroll ran that play because it made more sense and also, White had been pretty much unstoppable for at least the 5-10 yard runs. Carroll is not in the NFL because he did too much boneheaded stuff like call his last timeout on a 2 pt conversion. By the way, Bush is not little; he is like 6'0 and 215 lbs. Yes, if you key on a person for more than 4 weeks (which is what Texas did) then yes, Bush had a pedestrian outing. However, he did enough in the game to make me like him. I mean, his 83 yards rushing and 95 yards receiving shows me that he is truly multi-purpose. Also, you have to keep in mind that Texas, statistically, had a better defense than USC and contained Bush, but not Leinart and White. USC had more yards than Texas, but Texas won the points battle, which is where it counts. All USC had to do was key on Young and they couldn't do that. I am a Texas fan, but Texas is lucky (and good) to have survived that siege at the Rose Bowl. Don't get me wrong, I love VY but Bush is the better pick at this stage.
66cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #15
66cobra
Veteran

Tulexan,
As a coach, I think that Bush was indeed used as a decoy when White did his major damage. Carroll would have been better off putting Bush in as a decoy on that 4th and one in the 4th quarter.
Old 01-09-2006   #16
groutfulone
Rookie

I know you didn't say that. I was trying to make the point of how these two guys are so different and why we should draft young. VY is that unbelievable. You can stack it against him any way you like and he can still beat you because he has the ball in his hands every play.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for this franchise.

Someone like Reggie Bush comes along every few years: Tiki Barber, Dunn, Tomlinson, hell... Eric Metcalf.

Maybe more guys like Vince will start showing up the way Jordan changed basketball. Maybe more huge, speedsters will start learning the position they way VY did, just like Majic Johnson and Jordan changed basketball.

Bush will never have this kind of impact. VY just might...
Old 01-09-2006   #17
groutfulone
Rookie

USC lists him as 6'0" 200lbs

And calling Carroll a bonehead is just pointless. He almost won 3 national titles in a row. Good grief, man. He is a great coach.
Old 01-09-2006   #18
tulexan
Hall of Fame

So Vince lights up the 40th ranked defense, the same defense that Fresno State scored 40 on at home, and all of the sudden he is Michael Jordan?

Reggie Bush, who was the focus of the 6th ranked Texas defense just like he was last year against Oklahoma, had 177 yards and a touchdown on 19 touches, and he is just another run of the mill running back?
Old 01-09-2006   #19
66cobra
Veteran

tulexan,
if you are talking to me, I never said that he was "just a run of the mill running back." Yes, I said that he had a "pedestrian" outing, but I meant pedestrian for HIM. But your 1st point is what I meant about Young; I really like him, but coachingwise, I don't think he is ready for the NFL at this point in time. I liken Bush to Marshall Faulk (but a little bigger, maybe) in his prime. I think that Bush is a better fit right now; however, if the Texans draft Young, I wouldn't be surprised.

To groutfulone, Sorry, I do concede that Carroll has done well with USC, but his tenure in the NFL ranks of head coaches is not a good one because he coached the Patriots when they stunk. I remember watching that team and it was not pretty.
Old 01-09-2006   #20
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66cobra
tulexan,
if you are talking to me, I never said that he was "just a run of the mill running back." .
I was talking to groutfulone

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read