Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-09-2006   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kiper on Cold Pizza

Has us taking Bush at #1 because "we are comitted to David Carr" and thinks he'll have the most impact in the NFL. He also has Leinhart going before Vince Young. Woody and Skip are coming up to discuss what we should do on draft day.
Old 01-09-2006   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

keep us posted because at least I don't have cable.
Old 01-09-2006   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Isn't it funny how Woody Paige backed up his reason for drafting Bush with facts while Skip Bayless backed up his reason for Young with superlatives and no facts?

Sounds familiar.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
keep us posted because at least I don't have cable.
Woody thinks we should draft Bush, he says Reeves said we should keep Carr. He said our front office has spoke to 5 or 6 current/past NFL scouts and think Carr will be a great QB. Woody says he would take Carr over Young. Skip says we should thank God that Young fell in our laps and it could ruin the franchise/fanbase for years if we do not draft him.
Old 01-09-2006   #5
Wordem
Veteran

The public relations fiasco that will be a successful VY anywhere else means we're taking him. McNair likes money. VY guarantees him more of it. Period. There will be other Reggie Bushes. There's only one Vince Young. Once he works out, it will further solidify his spot as the number one pick. Trust me on this. If you doubt me, you haven't really been paying attention to what Young did at Texas.
Wordem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #6
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordem
The public relations fiasco that will be a successful VY anywhere else means we're taking him. McNair likes money. VY guarantees him more of it. Period. There will be other Reggie Bushes. There's only one Vince Young. Once he works out, it will further solidify his spot as the number one pick. Trust me on this. If you doubt me, you haven't really been paying attention to what Young did at Texas.
Successful teams are built on what is best for the team, not what sells the most jerseys or makes the highest percentage of the hometown fans happy for the two months from the draft leading into the season.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #7
Wordem
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Successful teams are built on what is best for the team, not what sells the most jerseys or makes the highest percentage of the hometown fans happy for the two months from the draft leading into the season.
VY is best for the team. Reggie Bush comes along every year or every other year. Vince Young is the opportunity of a lifetime. You don't skip that for a generic 5' 10" running back.
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2006   #8
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

VY is the best for New Orleans. See we dont need him to make our franchise. We have a QB that is solid, so NO will need someone to sell tickets. It should be interesting to see how the combine plays out.
Old 01-09-2006   #9
Wordem
Veteran

You really don't get it. None of you arguing against VY do. There is no one like him. If we skip on him, this franchise will never, ever live it down. He's THAT special. Bush isn't. Once you watch him play, once you see how big he really is, man.

He'll be a Texan because the entire franchise will be salivating once they meet him, work him out, and really break down his film and understands what he brings to the table. He's the best college football player in a generation and the best to ever play at Texas. That's saying a lot, but it is absolutely the truth.

He'll be a Texan. He's the best player on the board.
Old 01-09-2006   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

I have personally sat next to Vince and shared a drink. I know exactly how big he is. I have never said that he wont be a good NFL QB, but will he revolutionize football? No. Will he add the running dimension to his team?Yes. Will he win early in his career? NO. He will go to a team that is not very good, and likely unless he goes to the Titans will have to play pretty early. His reads are ok, but his passing and decision making is erratic and lower NFL quality.
Old 01-09-2006   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I forgot, he is already better than Peyton Manning like you said earlier
Old 01-09-2006   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
VY is best for the team. Reggie Bush comes along every year or every other year. Vince Young is the opportunity of a lifetime. You don't skip that for a generic 5' 10" running back.

Hahaha! Now Reggie is a generic 5'10" back, that comes along every year!

Wow. I know you think VY is god, but lets not get crazy with all this Bush is mediocre talk.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Vince may look big in college, but he is roughly the same size as Aaron Brooks. If you want to see a big QB, look at Daunte Culpepper.
Old 01-09-2006   #14
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
You really don't get it. None of you arguing against VY do. There is no one like him. If we skip on him, this franchise will never, ever live it down. He's THAT special. Bush isn't. Once you watch him play, once you see how big he really is, man.

He'll be a Texan because the entire franchise will be salivating once they meet him, work him out, and really break down his film and understands what he brings to the table. He's the best college football player in a generation and the best to ever play at Texas. That's saying a lot, but it is absolutely the truth.

He'll be a Texan. He's the best player on the board.
What Vince brings to the board:
One of the faster QBs in the league. Not anywhere near as fast as Vick but about at fast as Donovan McNabb or Daunte Culpepper in their rookie season about on par with Seneca Wallace or Kordell Stewart. He is taller than Michael Vick, but with his sidearm throw the ball will be released at about the same height. He is bigger than Vick and could break thru tacklers a little better, but not as well as 265 lb. Culpepper, and Vick can dodge them much better. His arm strength is questionable, his accuracy is quite good up to 20-25 yards, then gets pretty sloppy after that, not to mention any throw after that is lofted pretty high (has to be to get over DL), and in the NFL lofted, underthrown balls are INTs 90% of the time unless you have a T.O. or Randy Moss-type WR. His field vision is quite good against college cover 2 defenses, yet to see what it is like in the NFL. His leadership is pretty good, but once again at a college level, once he gets to the NFL it will take several years to step into the full-respected leadership position.

I do not necessarily want us to draft Bush either, but this nonsense about Vince Young being the best college QB ever or a once in a lifetime talent is ridiculous. He is a blend of size and speed that is not found overly often, but he does not have a great arm at all to go along with it.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #15
Wordem
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Vince may look big in college, but he is roughly the same size as Aaron Brooks.
That's funny. Really it is.
Old 01-09-2006   #16
Wordem
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Not anywhere near as fast as Vick but about at fast as Donovan McNabb or Daunte Culpepper in their rookie season about on par with Seneca Wallace or Kordell Stewart.
If you really believe this, you are doomed to support a loser of a franchise.

He's better than all of those players.
Old 01-09-2006   #17
The Preacher
Veteran

Mission Accomplished: The whole world thinks we're taking Reggie. Now if you want him cough up some picks. Personally I think offense is overrated and I would be happy if we had a team like Chicago that could barely move the ball but had a bye and hosted their first playoff game. If the Texans had a dominant D they could achieve similar heights. Not that I don't want a couple of o-lineman because I do but the tables are set for our trade down. If Bush is our guy I will support that but I would MUCH rather see a move down to #4for an extra second and #1 next year. Then we could pick up super mario and build a dynasty built on defense. Address the 0-line with the two seconds if you want or with one if we get Bentley in FA. More D in the third and the foundation has begun. A move back to the 4-3 will help greatly if you ask me because it seems nobody is allowed to play with their instincts because they're too caught up in trying to figure out what they need to do for the scheme. Dunta even admitted it and I saw basically where whatever coach is getting interviewed is getting points deducted for wanting to stay with the 3-4 so I think that is set in stone already. We'll finally get to see these guys play with their ears pinned back(whatever that means). In the meanwhile let the media do the Texans' job until the draft rolls around.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #18
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Really it is? Vince Young is listed at 6'5 230. He, like all other college players, are not as big as they are listed. He is probably 6'4 220. Aaron Brooks is listed at 6'4 220 as well. If you don't believe me about height and weight differences, go back and check players and see what they were listed at in college compared to the NFL. Almost every single time they come in smaller and lighter.
Old 01-09-2006   #19
Wordem
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Really it is? Vince Young is listed at 6'5 230. He, like all other college players, are not as big as they are listed. He is probably 6'4 220. Aaron Brooks is listed at 6'4 220 as well. If you don't believe me about height and weight differences, go back and check players and see what they were listed at in college compared to the NFL. Almost every single time they come in smaller and lighter.
Not this time. He's closer to 6' 6". You don't watch much Texas football, do you?

Aaron Brooks. Please.
Old 01-09-2006   #20
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Preach I also agree we have the table set for a move down with the Jets. They will have to convince their franchise that they are still trying to win. A trade up I think would cost them 1st,2nd, 4th and next years 1st, 3rd. The 4th is just to try and steal another pick, but not overly neccessary. Hopefully we ink this deal and we Mario runs in the 4.6s and we get him at #4. If need be trade back into the first and get Huff or Winston, if not in the second take Joseph and Manny Lawson. In the third, Mangold and a Corner. Man I want our D to be tough and I believe from proof that our offense is ready to make plays and just needs a change of system. I think signing LeCharles Bentley is neccessary and would really like to get Winston. That would put us with Pitts, Joseph, Bentley, Weigert, Winston. Damn that would be nice.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read