Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2006   #1
Wordem
Veteran

Default Bob McNair and this franchise are at a crossroads

If they pass on Young, who indicated in his press conference that he would love to come home, and if he has ANY kind of success in Nashville playing for the freaking Oilers, McNair will lose this city. I grew up in the Astrodome watching the Astros and Oilers. A gaffe like this will not be tolerated nor will it be forgiven. The honeymoon is long over. Bob McNair is not stupid. Vince Young will be a Texan or this team will be doomed in a very fickle sports town. We never forgave Bud for firing Bum and we never forgave McMullen for letting Nolan go.

If he misses with Young, he WILL be forgiven. If not, he will lose fans and money. It's just that simple.
Wordem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #2
ALIVE287
Rookie

here, here
ALIVE287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #3
bigcarlos
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordem
We never forgave Bud for firing Bum .
LMAO...I thought I was the only one that holds that against him to this day
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #4
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

They have to take VY, not really much of a choice here... he is a special talent.

They should be able to get a 3rd, maybe a 2nd rounder for Davie Franchise from a team that is desperate for a potentially average QB.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #5
Wordem
Veteran

Fans of professional sports in Houston have long memories.
Old 01-08-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Only in Texas would a 20 year grudge still be ongoing over a Bud firing a Bum.
Old 01-08-2006   #7
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

I agree, this franchise will be scarred for life if they pass on Vince, and he turns out to be great (especially if he goes to the Titans)...........I smell "a curse of Bambino" of some sort.
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2006   #8
ALIVE287
Rookie

All I know is that we were 2-14...It can't get much worse. RB is our deepest position. Let's get rid of Carr and start over with the hometown hero and a new coach and GM.
ALIVE287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #9
Wordem
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
Yes, Vince Young will be a Texan or else ... we will all be doomed?

Honestly, stop watching TV. Stop watching ESPN, stop reading Yahoo Sports and whatever other media source it is that is heaping gasoline on this ridiculous fire. It is making this board dumber by the minute. I mean, what the hell, I suppose lightning will strike, and this next hurricane will park itself over Reliant until every last brick is washed away?

Could you try any harder?
You just don't get it.
Old 01-08-2006   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
You just don't get it.
I guess you know more than the talent evaluators around the league.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #11
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcarlos
LMAO...I thought I was the only one that holds that against him to this day
That's the biggest reason we told him to watch out for the door hitting his rear end on the way out. I'm so glad he left.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #12
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

...and ditching Earl and Warren Moon and moving the team....
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #13
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
All I know is that we were 2-14...It can't get much worse. RB is our deepest position. Let's get rid of Carr and start over with the hometown hero and a new coach and GM
EXACTLY..........honestly can Vince do any worst of a job than Carr???....people act like David is something special, when he's not.
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #14
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 79824 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
No, the problem is Casserly doesn't.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #15
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
If they pass on Young, who indicated in his press conference that he would love to come home, and if he has ANY kind of success in Nashville playing for the freaking Oilers, McNair will lose this city. I grew up in the Astrodome watching the Astros and Oilers. A gaffe like this will not be tolerated nor will it be forgiven. The honeymoon is long over. Bob McNair is not stupid. Vince Young will be a Texan or this team will be doomed in a very fickle sports town. We never forgave Bud for firing Bum and we never forgave McMullen for letting Nolan go.

If he misses with Young, he WILL be forgiven. If not, he will lose fans and money. It's just that simple.
It's a huge risk for him, because if Vince tears it up for the Titans and shows the Texans up in Reliant Stadium once a year, he will never live it down.

But I disagree that he's not the stupid. He is strangely devoted to his man David. I fully expect to see the Texans pass on Vince Young.
Old 01-08-2006   #16
Wordem
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
It has nothing to do with that. It has everything to do with ticket sales and a fickle fan base. It's in McNair's economic interest to take Young, who I believe is the most talented player on the board. Go by the book. Take the best player available. That is Vince Young, the hometown hero? You think Olajuwon was popular?? You have no idea what VY will do to rally fans in Houston.
Old 01-08-2006   #17
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyvice
...and ditching Earl and Warren Moon and moving the team....
Yep. Warren Moon was my final straw, but Bud did plenty before that to nudge me.
Old 01-08-2006   #18
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

If Young has really declared, then I would hope Reggie doesn't declare. Then it would be ok to pick VY or trade down to another team that wants VY. The one thing I could not tolerate would be the Titans having young. Also, all these scenarios depend on Bush and Young coming out, the draft order remainin unchanged and the Saints passing on Young. Nobody really knows what NO will do. I don't know I just hope these next few months go by in the blink of an eye.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #19
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
If Young has really declared, then I would hope Reggie doesn't declare. Then it would be ok to pick VY or trade down to another team that wants VY. The one thing I could not tolerate would be the Titans having young. Also, all these scenarios depend on Bush and Young coming out, the draft order remainin unchanged and the Saints passing on Young. Nobody really knows what NO will do. I don't know I just hope these next few months go by in the blink of an eye.
Vince Young declared at 3:00 today. Which means Casserly can comment on him tonight at 10:35 pm on Channel 13, lol.

I would be thrilled if Reggie didn't declare, but I can't see that happening.
Old 01-08-2006   #20
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

It doesn't matter to me really who the Texans draft. we have the #1 pick, so whoever we get will help us. The thing is this, the Texans have to make the decision that is in the best interests of the franchise. Obviously winning is #1 on the priority list. The Texans have to draft the player that will help them win the most. In the case of Vince Young they cannot make a decision on him based on where he is from, or on what team might draft him if they pass on him. They have to draft the player who gives them the best chance at winning, everything else is irrelevant. Any decision they make will be second guessed, whether they draft Young, Bush, or trade the pick.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read