Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-08-2006   #1
supertankman
Rookie

Default GEEZ, do you realize that the last 5 1st overall picks have been QB's?

2005 1 1(1) ALEX SMITH QB
2004 1 1(1) ELI MANNING QB
2003 1 1(1) CARSON PALMER QB
2002 1 1(1) DAVID CARR QB
2001 1 1(1) MICHAEL VICK QB
2000 1 1(1) COURTNEY BROWN
1999 1 1(1) TIM COUCH QB
1998 1 1(1) PEYTON MANNING QB

I think every team is trying to get lucky and find their Peyton Manning, im sick of all this bs talk about drafting another QB #1 overall, do you see Tom Brady on that list? The one QB that sticks out the most is Michael Vick because Vince is more like him then any of the other players currently in the NFL; he was drafted one year before David Carr on a falcons team that had allready been established and still has not done crap. Look at what my second team behind Texas, Carolina did to the falcons last week and who does Carolina have as their QB. Now, look at what good ol Jake is doing to the Eli and the Giants.

None of these number one overall QB's have proven anything, not even peyton manning because he has yet to win a superbowl. I say that the Texans are making the right decision, forget about drafting another QB and work on making the Texans a good team like Carolina is. I think they pick Bush, work on the OL and forget about the offense for awhile and work on making their defense, you think Carolina wins being a offensive powerhouse?
supertankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #2
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

So forget about taking a QB 1st overall because recent history has shown they're not going to win a Super Bowl. I can live with that.

Now, if you'd kindly point out the last RB taken 1st overall to win a Super Bowl for me...
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #3
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

BTW, the last 1st overall pick to win a Super Bowl was Orlando Pace with the Rams.
Old 01-08-2006   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101586 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Theres a reason why qbs are almost always taken #1. No other player effects the game more than a qb and at the cap dollars you have to pay the #1 pick, people are scared to draft a rb #1 or other skill positions for that matter because they're always one play from the scrap heap. Also I'm tired of the Tom Brady argument, how many 7th rounders go on to win 3 superbowl and are undefeated in the playoffs. The scouts obviously wiffed on that one. The chances of that happening again aren't likely

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #5
Mac4Lyfe
Rookie

ye, but at least Vick got to the Superbowl... How many 1st picks got to the big game?? Orlando Pace won a couple.
Mac4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe
ye, but at least Vick got to the Superbowl... How many 1st picks got to the big game?? Orlando Pace won a couple.
Check yourself before you wreck yourself.
Old 01-08-2006   #7
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Check yourself before you wreck yourself.
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2006   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertankman
1999 1 1(1) TIM COUCH QB

I think every team is trying to get lucky and find their Peyton Manning, im sick of all this bs talk about drafting another QB #1 overall, do you see Tom Brady on that list? The one QB that sticks out the most is Michael Vick because Vince is more like him then any of the other players currently in the NFL; he was drafted one year before David Carr on a falcons team that had allready been established and still has not done crap. Look at what my second team behind Texas, Carolina did to the falcons last week and who does Carolina have as their QB. Now, look at what good ol Jake is doing to the Eli and the Giants.

None of these number one overall QB's have proven anything, not even peyton manning because he has yet to win a superbowl. I say that the Texans are making the right decision, forget about drafting another QB and work on making the Texans a good team like Carolina is. I think they pick Bush, work on the OL and forget about the offense for awhile and work on making their defense, you think Carolina wins being a offensive powerhouse?
Carson Palmer is a bona-fide stud. He should win a few. Cinci has a great TEAM out there too.
Old 01-08-2006   #9
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
...he was drafted one year before David Carr on a falcons team that had allready been established and still has not done crap.
1st season: Vick did not start.

2nd season : He led the Falcons to a 9-6-1 finish in 2002, throwing for over 3,000 yards and running for nearly 800, scoring 24 touchdowns. The team made the playoffs as a Wild Card and defeated Green Bay in the first round, handing the Packers their first ever playoff loss on their home field.

3rd season: injured

4th season: lost NFC championship game to Philly

5th season: Did not make playoffs

Vick has been solid -- the 05 season being the teams only off year with him starting.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #10
Janus3
Veteran

Quote:
are you from the future?
Old 01-08-2006   #11
supertankman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Carson Palmer is a bona-fide stud. He should win a few. Cinci has a great TEAM out there too.
Hey Buddy, you currently watching the game vs the steelers? your boy Palmer went down with a injury, hope its not serious!
supertankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1999 1 1(1) TIM COUCH QB

How about this little number.

Vick 7
Carr 8
Palmer 9
Manning 10
Smith 11
Sadly the trend will not continue.

VY or RB. Win win situation.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #13
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
I guess maybe Vick has purchased tickets and witnessed a Super Bowl before. And I recall Pace being on ONE Super Bowl championship team.
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #14
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

courtney brown was a D-Lineman drafted from Penn State by the Browns, i think.
Old 01-08-2006   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

To say none of the recent #1 pick QBs haven't made the Super Bowl and therefore weren't good picks is a little premature. Many of them are still very young and early in their career and are building their teams. Carson Palmer and Eli Manning look like they will likely be perennial playoff contenders and possibly get to a Super Bowl one or more times during their career, Peyton Manning is pretty likely to go this year, and all of the others obviously have a good shot at going to the Super Bowl some chance in the future too. John Elway went to several Super Bowls early in his career but didn't win one until his 15th and 16th seasons, Brett Favre took several seasons to get there (I know he wasn't #1 overall pick but he is one of the better QBs of all time so I'll use him as an example for Super Bowl success too), so give some of these more recent guys time before using them to conclude that using a #1 pick on a QB doesn't lead to Super Bowl success. That said, I'm not advocating taking a QB this year, I know David Carr is staying and I think he is our franchise QB, and I'd still prefer us to trade down and address other needs rather than taking Reggie Bush, although I can't say I'd be upset if we got Reggie.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #16
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its safe to say that the league needs to switch the way these rookies get money. Getting the #1 pick handicaps a team b/c the contract is astronomical. It prevents the bad teams from getting more players. All hope is on that one player.
dtran04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #17
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Hey Buddy, you currently watching the game vs the steelers? your boy Palmer went down with a injury, hope its not serious!
Was he running the ball? 'Cause tulexan will tell you running QBs are always getting injured. That's why pocket passers are the better way to go.
Old 01-08-2006   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Was he running the ball? 'Cause tulexan will tell you running QBs are always getting injured. That's why pocket passers are the better way to go.
Carson was standing in the pocket, he had just thrown a pass when the D/Lineman rolled over the backside of his ankle (torn ligaments I believe) which just goes to show you can be injured anywhere
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #19
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Was he running the ball?
Had Palmer been running the resulting explosion would have taken out at least 22% of Paul Brown Stadium.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

dang!! that has happened twice now!!

first to penn state LB poluz... and now to carson. Anyone i like seems to get hurt. I am like the front cover of madden. :brickwall

*I've been sick and just woke up, sorry it took so long to respond to this stuff.*

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read