Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Casserly on Inside the Game Tonight at 10:35pm

Tulip

Veteran
Channel 13
10:35 pm

This will probably be Charley's first interview since one of the top 2 juniors has declared.

I'm interested to see how the Texans are going to frame the whole Vince Young thing.

def a post that needs to reappear on the first page later on tonight.

Will be very interesting to see how well he holds his hand or does his poker face suck so bad that it will be obvious to the entire league what our intention is come draft day

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Just keep in mind, the 1st pick will not be Casserly's decision.

IT WILL BE McNAIR'S.

And I'd bet anyone 50 bucks that he hasn't made up his mind yet.

Nawzer

Alienz
Casserly will probably dodge those VY and Reggie Bush questions and give us generic answers...But I'll tune in anyway.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
Please someone post tonight. Inquiring minds in Central Texas would like to know. We are out on the frontier fighting Cowboy fans and can't always get the games on TV.

Tulip

Veteran
Marcus said:
Just keep in mind, the 1st pick will not be Casserly's decision.

IT WILL BE McNAIR'S.

And I'd bet anyone 50 bucks that he hasn't made up his mind yet.
One would hope, given that the combines and pro days haven't happened yet.

Tulip

Veteran
Fiddy said:
I dont think Bush has declared...
He hasn't. That's why I said "one" of the top two juniors. Before, he couldn't talk about either of them. Now he can at least talk about Vince.

Fiddy

All Pro
Tulip said:
He hasn't. That's why I said "one" of the top two juniors. Before, he couldn't talk about either of them. Now he can at least talk about Vince.
Oh, my bad...read it wrong, sorry. :bag:

Tulip

Veteran
Fiddy said:
Oh, my bad...read it wrong, sorry. :bag:
No problem.

Are you watching tonight? I've set it on Tivo to make sure I can rewind and analyze. I apparently have nothing better to do with my life.

Fiddy

All Pro
Tulip said:
No problem.

Are you watching tonight? I've set it on Tivo to make sure I can rewind and analyze. I apparently have nothing better to do with my life.
Of course I'm watching and I'm waiting to hear Casserly distance the Texans from Young completely so I can cry myself to sleep... :brickwall

Should be intresting...

Tulip

Veteran
Fiddy said:
Of course I'm watching and I'm waiting to hear Casserly distance the Texans from Young completely so I can cry myself to sleep... :brickwall

Should be intresting...
:bomb: :crying: :brickwall

Texandiver

Waterboy
Hi guys, I've been following the boards off and on throughout the season, and finally decided to join the discusson.

As far as Casserly being able to discuss Vince Young tonight it can't be done. According to Tim Melton on the 5:30 news the Texans can not comment about Young entering draft until they recieve an offical notice from the NFL that he has declared. Bummer if you ask me.

Fiddy

All Pro
Texandiver said:
Hi guys, I've been following the boards off and on throughout the season, and finally decided to join the discusson.

As far as Casserly being able to discuss Vince Young tonight it can't be done. According to Tim Melton on the 5:30 news the Texans can not comment about Young entering draft until they recieve an offical notice from the NFL that he has declared. Bummer if you ask me.
Hm, that's right...Casserly lucks out again. The guy has nine lives and is on life eight...

Tulip

Veteran
Texandiver said:

Oh drat!

Welcome to the board.

Tulip

Veteran
Texandiver said:
I bet Bob still asks the various Young questions even though he knows Casserly can not answer.
True. Maybe we'll get something out of his facial expressions.

And when on earth is Reggie going to declare? I don't know what he's waiting for. He made his decision a long time ago.

Texandiver

Waterboy
Tulip said:
True. Maybe we'll get something out of his facial expressions.

And when on earth is Reggie going to declare? I don't know what he's waiting for. He made his decision a long time ago.
Maybe he's having second thought's. :)

GP

Go Texans!
I guess this is where Casserly goes ahead and tells the NFL world who we'll pick with ALL of our draft positions.

VY declared for draft today, so there definitley WILL be questions in store for Uncle Casserly tonight.

Tulip

Veteran
Well, he still can't talk about Reggie, so maybe he'll try to keep an air of mystery.

I can't even keep a straight face saying that.

GP

Go Texans!
Tulip, you know that I don't particularly want VY at No. 1. I think you've seen my heated arguments on that.

HOWEVER, I have a very gut feeling that we've just witnessed VY and Bob McNair reaching a deal.

This is just a theory, but I base it on the entire air of mystery that has surrounded VY since they won the championship. I think he's been feeling out the Texans and sending signals, and I think those signals have been sent back to VY. Below is my theory...and I think Casserly is behind it all:

PET THEORY:

I think VY was told by Texans official that we'd take him: "We'll sign Carr, we'll trade Carr, and we'll draft you No. 1 on draft day..."

To me, VY did not declare immediately after the game because it took time for the process to get sorted out amongst Bob McNair and other high-ups.

That's why you had a leaked story in ESPN.com about Texans drafting "Bush no matter what" since we (wink-wink) will pick up Carr's option.

When you think about it, Casserly and the Texans DIDN'T ACTUALLY LIE when they said they would not be taking Leinart because (wink-wink) "we don't have a need for a QB." Everyone assumed that comment meant that Carr was the guy, but with the sensitivity of the NFL and NCAA toward luring comments...it looks like Casserly very selectively beat around the bush (pardon the pun) enough to do all sorts of things with that comment: (1) Didn't get in trouble with NFL/NCAA because the comment wasn't trying to lure VY into declaring; (2) Made Carr feel safe so he WOULD re-sign and think everything was fine rather than walking out and leaving us empty handed ; and (3) Landing us a trade (picks and/or players) for Carr.

So now we get VY AND players and/or more picks for Carr.

I just do not see VY coming out for the draft for anything less than being drafted numero uno. Do you?

Remember that this guy (Casserly) is a daring GM. He might not look good on camera, but I wouldn't put it past him to have orchestrated something as bizarre as what I just theorized.

bayshorebevo

Waterboy
the guy on espn the other morning said that the texans were taking bush because charlie c. told him that they were renewing david's contract and that was just him (the espn guy) reading between the lines. that was a real bogus so-called scoop. charlie is not going to comment on juniors because he's a pro.

Tulip

Veteran
gpshafer_1976 said:
Tulip, you know that I don't particularly want VY at No. 1. I think you've seen my heated arguments on that.

HOWEVER, I have a very gut feeling that we've just witnessed VY and Bob McNair reaching a deal.

This is just a theory, but I base it on the entire air of mystery that has surrounded VY since they won the championship. I think he's been feeling out the Texans and sending signals, and I think those signals have been sent back to VY. Below is my theory...and I think Casserly is behind it all:

PET THEORY:

I think VY was told by Texans official that we'd take him: "We'll sign Carr, we'll trade Carr, and we'll draft you No. 1 on draft day..."

To me, VY did not declare immediately after the game because it took time for the process to get sorted out amongst Bob McNair and other high-ups.

That's why you had a leaked story in ESPN.com about Texans drafting "Bush no matter what" since we (wink-wink) will pick up Carr's option.

When you think about it, Casserly and the Texans DIDN'T ACTUALLY LIE when they said they would not be taking Leinart because (wink-wink) "we don't have a need for a QB." Everyone assumed that comment meant that Carr was the guy, but with the sensitivity of the NFL and NCAA toward luring comments...it looks like Casserly very selectively beat around the bush (pardon the pun) enough to do all sorts of things with that comment: (1) Didn't get in trouble with NFL/NCAA because the comment wasn't trying to lure VY into declaring; (2) Made Carr feel safe so he WOULD re-sign and think everything was fine rather than walking out and leaving us empty handed ; and (3) Landing us a trade (picks and/or players) for Carr.

So now we get VY AND players and/or more picks for Carr.

I just do not see VY coming out for the draft for anything less than being drafted numero uno. Do you?

Remember that this guy (Casserly) is a daring GM. He might not look good on camera, but I wouldn't put it past him to have orchestrated something as bizarre as what I just theorized.
I wish. :(

But if you're right, that would be wild-crazy.

mexican_texan

Furry Tractors
well, has Bush earned his degree yet? maybe he wants to learn ballroom dancing. If he comes out now, he could run the risk of going third overall. If he waits and has another stellar year, can't win the heisman if he plays better, he could come back and be the consensus first overall pick all season next season.:pigfly:

BREAZE

Waterboy
Casserly can't say anything until the official list comes out after 1/15 I believe.

However, he CAN say who he is not going to take. In fact he said on this very show that he would not be taking a QB or Matt Leinhart. Of course this was all before this week. If Bob Allen is smart he fires him with the same question.

Make him squrm Bobby!!

bckey

All Pro
gpshafer_1976 said:
Made Carr feel safe so he WOULD re-sign and think everything was fine rather than walking out and leaving us empty handed ; and (3) Landing us a trade (picks and/or players) for Carr.

Carr can't walk out and leave us empty handed unless the Texans let him. The Texans hold the cards as to whether they exercise a 2 or 3 year option on Carr or just let him go. But it is in the Texans hands not Carrs.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
mexican_texan said:
well, has Bush earned his degree yet? maybe he wants to learn ballroom dancing. If he comes out now, he could run the risk of going third overall. If he waits and has another stellar year, can't win the heisman if he plays better, he could come back and be the consensus first overall pick all season next season.:pigfly:
Not a chance.

Brady Quinn will win the Heisman next year and be the overall #1...:yahoo:

T-sippers have nothing on domers when it comes to elevating our own.:ok:

:coffee:

Vinny

shiny happy fan
awtysst said:
Someone please do post on this. All of the Texans fans in Chicago(me) are very interested.
Casserly said point-blank, matter-of-fact (in his weekly Sunday night show with Bob Allen) that he would not select a QB in the draft since we are picking up Carr's deal.

Elise Lanier just called the 610am show and was incredibly upset at Casserly's comments from last night saying we were not going to bring in a QB period. I hope Bob Lanier knows that Casserly is turning off the football fan here in Houston. I hope he really grasps how much we hate this guy and how much this is hurting his franchise (even with stupid comments like the one last night) since the only history this franchise has is the one they are creating right now.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Vinny said:
Casserly said point-blank, matter-of-fact (in his weekly Sunday night show with Bob Allen) that he would not select a QB in the draft since we are picking up Carr's deal.

Elise Lanier just called the 610am show and was incredibly upset at Casserly's comments from last night saying we were not going to bring in a QB period. I hope Bob Lanier knows that Casserly is turning off the football fan here in Houston. I hope he really grasps how much we hate this guy and how much this is hurting his franchise (even with stupid comments like the one last night) since the only history this franchise has is the one they are creating right now.
Taped show taped show taped show??? Please?

What else did he say in the show? I missed it.

FILO_girl

I'm not here
Texandiver said:
I just hope they didn't tape the show before the announcement.
They did. Cass declared that we ARE keeping Carr, was very adament about it. I know I missed some of the key points and commentary because I was yelling at the TV every time they showed him. Whoever said he isn't camera friendly...:D ! He was asked about the "other players" besides Bush who we may want to get and no one would speak VY in particular (but they showed him playing in the background!) and Cass said a bit indignantly that we have two, three or four "other players" to look at. He addressed our options and talked some about trading down our pick for one impact player and a couple good players. Non commital on any idea.

Bob's interview came across as very warm and friendly, caring of the fans and the organization. If you didn't know or like him before, you do now. He also stated that Reeves is ONLY a consultant and that Cass is still in charge. :eek:

Casserly came across to me as smug and arrogant. After creating a 2-14 mess and having BigBrother Reeves over your shoulder, not sure how he expected to carry that one off.

I still wish that Bob had given him his walking papers. I know there are several fans besides me who are apprehensive on him picking our next roster after what he has done for us thus far.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Vinny said:

Sometimes I amazed by message boards. there are 35 replies on thread about Casserly on the show and only one (thank you Vinny) on what was actually said. We out-of-towners do actually want to hear what being said.

Edit: was typing at the same time Filo-girl was posting so thank you also.

WWJD

Hall of Fame
Vinny said:

I'm wondering why it matters what Bob Lanier thinks? Is he a minority owner?

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
WWJD said:
This is funny because I just wrote about this in another post. She was great:

I know people aren't huge McLain fans all the time but I'm just reporting what was said this morning as I drove into work on 610. 1) Kubiak is the man and he is heading there for 6 days to do pieces on him and his assistants. All of the other interviews are formalities. He interviewed well and even brought broke down tape. 2) ESPN has been wrong twice. Mort was wrong saying we are trying to buy out Jeff Fischer and Pasquerelli is wrong that we are trying to trade players for another pick. 3) In his opinion we will take VY because they will burn down the stadium if he isn't taken. His take is this. Kubiak is great with QBs. We pull a Carson Palmer and keep Carr for a year. If Carr does well, his trade value will be at its highest and we can get a pick for him. Then you play Young. It is too big of a cap hit if you just get rid of Carr. Lance argues that it makes no sense because you have noone to show for the draft by sitting him but McClain said it is the smart move. He said come draft time Young will be scouted more and will be the pick because many scouts didn't think he would come out until that game. 4) The funniest thing ..and then I got to work..Alyse(sp?) Lanier--ex-mayors wife..called in and said she would buy season tickets again if VY was picked. She said she was watching the Casserly thing last night and couldn't believe her ears when Casserly said they have a QB and would not be looking at QBs. She acted like Casserly was a moron for even speaking. ....does anyone like that guy?He is pretty much an moron. At least he didn't say anything about Bush since he hasn't declared yet.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
WWJD said:
Just sharing news...and it's just another way for me to show that people are put off by Casserly. Casserly is the face of this franchise and he is angering the fans. I think Bob McNair should know this....no way this can be good.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I don't know if they taped it before or after 3pm yesterday, but I think they mentioned that Young declared (didnt tape it). Most of the time this show is live...but this was the first off-season verision yesterday so there was no after game situation.

BREAZE

Waterboy
Casserly said with a stern straight face they intend to exercise Carr's option.

Its not so much what he said that is rubbing me the wrong way, but how he said it. We are never going to win a ring with a GM who is too busy tripping over his own ego. My fear has always been that Carr is Casserly's pick and he's sticking with him no matter what. By bringing in another QB he would be admitting he made the wrong move which is why he should have been given his papers with Capers.

Things to keep in mind regarding last night's interview.

1. it was taped after VY declared.

2. CC never said he would not take VY.

3. CC said what they "intend" to do with Carr. VY "intended" to go back to school before the Rose Bowl.

4. The new coaching regime will have large input on who they draft.

5. Bush has not declared...although we all know he will...I think.

6. There is a lot of time between now and April 29th. What CC is saying now may change after 4 months of fan pressure.

7. they have not evaluated VY yet...nobody has.

The local ABC affiliate that carried the show did a poll and 79% of fans want the Texans to draft VY...12% want Reggie...6% want to trade down...remainder undecided. I was a little taken back by the smalll margin who say trade down and the huge margin for VY. I guess we will find out if the fans really do have a voice when all is said and done...

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Vinny said:
I don't know, Vinny. Not to pick nits . . . but I TIVO'd that thing, and just listened to it again, I frankly couldn't understand what Casserly said when Bob Allen specifically asked about the 3-year option.

And Casserly definately said this.

"If David Carr is here, we won't be taking a quarterback. Our intent is to have David Carr here, exercise the option, and that's our plan."

The "If David Carr is here" has me intrigued, but I admit it might be wishful thinking.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Marcus said:
I don't know, Vinny. Not to pick nits . . . but I TIVO'd that thing, and just listened to it again, I frankly couldn't understand what Casserly said when Bob Allen specifically asked about the 3-year option.

"If David Carr is here, we won't be taking a quarterback. Our intent is to have David Carr here, exercise the option, and that's our plan."

The "If David Carr is here" has me intrigued, but I admit it might be wishful thinking.
What about that isn't 'point-blank, matter-of-fact' saying we would not be taking a QB?

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Vinny said:

I don't have a problem with him or what he's done. The fans hated Ladd too but the team he drafted won a lot of games and the people loved that. The football fans are rarely the guys you want to go to for insightful decisions on player personnel. You know that Vinny.

People can say it wasn't just "one game" all they want but where was this outpouring of demand for Vince Young prior to that one game? It didn't exist. It literally did not exist so regardless of what anybody says this is about the Rose Bowl and what Vince Young showed there. Sure there were a handful of people who were dreaming of getting him but their posts and reasonings were, for the most part irrational UT fan rambles which mirrored the "Reggie Bush WILL RULE!" crowd.

It's about one game and if taking Reggie Bush was a risky and unnecessary pick before that game then taking Vince Young is twice that now. Elise Lanier is a nice lady. I just don't think the Texans pick VY (or send Casserly packing) because she's upset over his statement. We don't need a QB. We need to see what Gary Kubiak (if that holds true) can do with the one we have on our roster right now.

FILO_girl

I'm not here
Marcus said:

I heard "we do plan to excercise the option on David Carr". Fancy speak for "David ain't going nowhere". :)

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Hervoyel said:
Elise Lanier is a nice lady. I just don't think the Texans pick VY (or send Casserly packing) because she's upset over his statement. We don't need a QB. We need to see what Gary Kubiak (if that holds true) can do with the one we have on our roster right now.
I think she is just showing a frustration that has built in many people about Charlie. I just think he is underqualified to do anything and I really wish he would just hide behind the scenes and shut his pie-hole.

Herv, I said it the other day but I love the avatar. Have to love the Chronic "les" of Narnia rap.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Vinny said:
What about that isn't 'point-blank, matter-of-fact' saying we would not be taking a QB?
Well, I'm taking the the "If David Carr is here" in the context that they would if they traded Carr before the draft.

I dunno. Charley's good with word games.

TheOgre

All Pro
I think it is stupid to reveal your hand and lose leverage this early. If you plan on taking Bush, don't let the entire world know. Even if we re-sign Carr, we could even trade him on draft day.