Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2006   #1
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Default Why are we giving away so much info?

Reports are surfacing that the Texans are going to take Reggie Bush even if with Vince coming out. I have NO problems with that whatsoever. I think Bush is the right pick and a better player.

Here is what I do have a problem with. Why are you revealing this information? You should keep EVERY NFL team in suspense of who you are going to take. That will make the teams drafting behind you nervous that you might take "their" guy and increase the trade value of the pick.

Say the Titans want Young bad (which I think they do). They are sitting in the #3 draft position. If the Texans are smart, they should threaten to take Young. That would force the Titans to trade up to get him. They would probably offer their #3 overall pick and a 2nd or 3rd rounder at least. Then New Orleans takes Leinert at #2 and guess what??? We still get our guy Reggie Bush at # 3 AND pick up more picks!!!! (the best of both worlds)

Why are we playing into the hands of our opponents yet again by revealing what we are going to do ahead of time? We are decreasing the value of one of the most valuable draft picks in recent memory!
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #2
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

These reports aren't quoting Casserly. I'm not sure how much they are really leaking and how much is speculation.

But it's definitely not odd for the Texans to "lock in" on a player too early.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #3
LoneStarState
Veteran

It's not a given that the Saints won't take Young - or trade the pick to someone else. If Martz is the new Saints coach - Young could go to New Orleans.
Old 01-08-2006   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I've heard different reports from different people. McClain said in todays paper that ESPN has been wrong on two accounts and he still likes taking Vince with Kubiak and Gray as the D guy. I just think people are going to have to calm down and realize there is going to be 3 months of this.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #5
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I think Martz coaching NO would make it more likely to take Leinart instead of Young.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
These reports aren't quoting Casserly. I'm not sure how much they are really leaking and how much is speculation.

But it's definitely not odd for the Texans to "lock in" on a player too early.
Not quotes, but Cass did tell Bob Glauber that we would not be drafting a QB and Glauber said it on National TV. That leaves the option of Bush or trading down, and I am sure our new coach will have a hand in it, so no one really knows what will happen. Or we could just be driving the price of Bush up, or it could all be smokescreens.
Old 01-08-2006   #7
horn_omatic
Rookie

that is a great post, i couldn't agree more.
horn_omatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2006   #8
gwallaia

Rep Power: 68496 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

It could all be propaganda and smoke screens to keep the other teams guessing,

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #9
bullman
Rookie

Default VY is sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
It could all be propaganda and smoke screens to keep the other teams guessing,
VY will not be drafted by the texans so get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! sorry to break the news to you longhorn fans
bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #10
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullman
VY will not be drafted by the texans so get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! sorry to break the news to you longhorn fans
Saints fan or a Titan lover?
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #11
zeplin
Veteran

The Texans can say anything and it means nothing. It is all smoke and mirrors. It will be done behind closed doors. The deals will be cut weeks befor the draft actually takes place. Any conversation by us is pure speculation.
Old 01-08-2006   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr
Reports are surfacing that the Texans are going to take Reggie Bush even if with Vince coming out. I have NO problems with that whatsoever. I think Bush is the right pick and a better player.

Here is what I do have a problem with. Why are you revealing this information? You should keep EVERY NFL team in suspense of who you are going to take. That will make the teams drafting behind you nervous that you might take "their" guy and increase the trade value of the pick.

Say the Titans want Young bad (which I think they do). They are sitting in the #3 draft position. If the Texans are smart, they should threaten to take Young. That would force the Titans to trade up to get him. They would probably offer their #3 overall pick and a 2nd or 3rd rounder at least. Then New Orleans takes Leinert at #2 and guess what??? We still get our guy Reggie Bush at # 3 AND pick up more picks!!!! (the best of both worlds)

Why are we playing into the hands of our opponents yet again by revealing what we are going to do ahead of time? We are decreasing the value of one of the most valuable draft picks in recent memory!
You have to hype the pick up and make it sound like you really want a guy so teams will offer bigger trades to you, so if you do decide to trade down (which I'm in favor of), a team will offer more to you if they think you really want a guy than if they think you don't really want him.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #13
GoBlue
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr

Good post- that scenario would be awesome if it came to fruition. trading down just two spots from #1 to #3 is worth a mid 2nd round pick, according to the point chart I've seen: http://www.askthecommish.com/2005nfl...alue_board.asp

Bush if he's there at #3 or D'Brickshaw, then more O-line + defense with the 2 second round picks, and O-line and defense again in the 3rd. That could be as many as 5 impact rookies. How sweet would that be.....
GoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #14
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

once again, im screaming into a hurricane, but please stop speaking in absolutes.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #15
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
once again, im screaming into a hurricane, but please stop speaking in absolutes.
so should a lot of other people here, claiming VY=Elway and Montana

its goin bothways these days
Old 01-08-2006   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how the media can speculate right now.. we dont' have a coaching staff just yet

If Mike Martz was coaching the team..he'd look for a Reggie Bush with his style of offense..If we got a coach like Jeff Fisher where he likes a strong defense and a punishing RB .. well Bush isn't going to fit the build with that..
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #17
gwallaia

Rep Power: 68496 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh God! I've never been called a Longhorn fan my whole life.

GO COOGS!!!!

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

This is my theory:

I think VY was told by Texans official that we'd take him: "We'll sign Carr, we'll trade Carr, and we'll draft you No. 1 on draft day..."

To me, VY did not declare immediately because it took time for the process to get sorted out amongst McNair and other high-ups.

That's why you had a leaked story in ESPN.com about Texans drafting "Bush no matter what" since we (wink-wink) will pick up Carr's option.

When you think about it, Casserly and the Texans DIDN'T ACTUALLY LIE when they said they would not be taking Leinart because (wink-wink) "we don't have a need for a QB." Everyone assumed that comment meant that Carr was the guy, but with the sensitivity of the NFL and NCAA toward luring comments...it looks like Casserly very selectively beat around the bush (pardon the pun) enough to do all sorts of things with that comment: (1) Didn't get in trouble with NFL/NCAA because the comment wasn't trying to lure VY into declaring; (2) Made Carr feel safe so he WOULD re-sign and think everything was fine rather than walking out and leaving us empty handed ; and (3) Landing us a trade (picks and/or players) for Carr.

So now we get VY AND players and/or more picks for Carr.

I just do not see VY coming out for the draft for anything less than being drafted numero uno. Do you?

Remember that this guy (Casserly) is a daring GM. He might not look good on camera, but I wouldn't put it past him to have orchestrated something as bizarre as what I just theorized.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #19
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 28635 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

gp - if Casserly pulled that off....... man that would completely quiet the critics (well, for a little while) of some of his previous selections and the way they were acquired.

It'd be interesting.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #20
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Something about Young's declaration makes me think we're getting him. That's not something I heard anywhere. It's just a gut feeling. I wonder if somebody could construct a timeline of the past half week or so. I can only talk from hearsay for most of it. I know that at the end of the Rose Bowl, he sounded like a guy ready to go pro. I heard that on the Tonight Show, he was asked about going to Houston, and he said that it was one of the reasons he was giving consideration to going pro. When he announced about going pro today, he talked about how much he liked being able to play in his hometown. He then gave a synopsis of why he thought Carr was a great QB, and acknowledged that he could go to NO or TN. I am having a hard time finding tangibles. Can anyone vouch for this? It sounds like he's going to Houston. If not there, then he wants the Titans.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read