Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2006   #1
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The General on Saturday's ESPN reports

Not so fast, ESPN

Don't believe two reports on ESPN and ESPN.com regarding the Texans on Saturday.

The first one said the Texans were talking to the Titans about possible compensation for coach Jeff Fisher. Anyone with any common sense would know that there is no way that Tennessee owner Bud Adams would let his head coach come to the Texans.

The second report said the Texans had decided they would take USC running back Reggie Bush, which was true before Vince Young's spectacular performance in the Rose Bowl. But the ESPN report also said that even if Young comes out early the Texans already have made up their minds to take Bush with the first pick.

Also not true. The Texans have not even begun their evaluation of Young because few thought he would leave the Longhorns a year early.

"It's premature to say anything until our new coaching staff gets in, and they are able to analyze our team, the draft and what happens in free agency," Texans general manager Charley Casserly said Saturday.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3572378.html

Seems like it would go without saying, but this is the first report I've seen that says the Texans might NOT draft Reggie Bush...
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Seeing what kind of compensation Fisher would ask for is not that odd. Bud Adams might not be let go, but there is no harm in asking. Id say this could be true.

As far as the second report goes.. i personally am not attuned to our front offices brain waves at this moment.. so I cant read their thoughts.. but if I COULD read their thoughts.. id bet that they probably HAVE considered vince young and probably HAVE decided they want Bush more.

Id also say that that could change if a head coach comes in that would prefer Young.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #3
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

the young report on espn was kind of dum really what franchise would have their mind set who they are going to the draft before the combines thats just some bs reporting by epsn i know casserly is as dumb as gm's get but not even charlie is that dumb.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
As far as the second report goes.. i personally am not attuned to our front offices brain waves at this moment.. so I cant read their thoughts.. but if I COULD read their thoughts.. id bet that they probably HAVE considered vince young and probably HAVE decided they want Bush more.

Id also say that that could change if a head coach comes in that would prefer Young.
I also don't have any insight as to the brain waves of the front office. Maybe in my previous post I didn't explain that this is from a John McClain article. I can only guess he talked to Casserley and, in that case, he would have better insight then we might.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #5
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

The Front Office would be foolish to not have been evaluating underclassmen before now just because they hadn't declared. I don't really know why the Texans are trying so hard to proclaim Bush as the pick, I mean there's no harm in trying to leave a little bit of it to other teams speculation.
ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #6
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyvice
The second report said the Texans had decided they would take USC running back Reggie Bush, which was true before Vince Young's spectacular performance in the Rose Bowl. But the ESPN report also said that even if Young comes out early the Texans already have made up their minds to take Bush with the first pick.

Also not true. The Texans have not even begun their evaluation of Young because few thought he would leave the Longhorns a year early.

"It's premature to say anything until our new coaching staff gets in, and they are able to analyze our team, the draft and what happens in free agency," Texans general manager Charley Casserly said Saturday.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3572378.html

Seems like it would go without saying, but this is the first report I've seen that says the Texans might NOT draft Reggie Bush...
The Casserly quote here is news and should lighten the hearts of VY supporters. he seems to be backing away from previously quoted and misquoted remarks that put the team strong in the Reggie Bush camp. here he seems to be saying we are open to all possibilities.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #7
Tayton
Veteran

I may be mistaken but don't the Texans have to pick up Carr's option prior to the draft. If they spend the money it seems like a no brainer that they won't be picking a quarterback. There's not alot of speculation after that.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2006   #8
LCOOL
Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
The Casserly quote here is news and should lighten the hearts of VY supporters. he seems to be backing away from previously quoted and misquoted remarks that put the team strong in the Reggie Bush camp. here he seems to be saying we are open to all possibilities.
I agree Chris Mortesnen is not always accurate, this is teh same person that said Parcells will retire, and Parcells just signed a two year extension, we will all have to wait until April.
LCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't imagine the Texans declaring Bush to be drafted #1 before he has even declared. But as always with the Draft it is a poker match and that could a way to let people know it is going to take a few draft picks to trade out of the spot.

IF we draft Bush, we had better get some linemen through FA or draft, if not I will not understand why this franchise continually puts the cart before the horses
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #10
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

It is all very premature. Lots of opinion is formed about a draft prospect during the combine or the school's pro day. If I remember correctly, that's how Andre Johnson leaped ahead of Charles Rogers on the Texans' order.

And it's not just 40 times and drills. It's also Wonderlic tests and interviews.

One or both could raise or lower his draft stock in the combine or pro day.

Mort is just trying to get a lot of attention by trying to "scoop" early.

Casserly said on the radio the other day that, at this point in time (early January), the scouts don't like to spend time evaluating players who haven't declared because it can be a waste of time.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
I can't imagine the Texans declaring Bush to be drafted #1 before he has even declared. But as always with the Draft it is a poker match and that could a way to let people know it is going to take a few draft picks to trade out of the spot.
Perhaps its a message by the Texans to Bush that they won't leave him hanging, as they (the Texans) may have inside info that Bush is starting to develope cold feet about coming out if he thinks there's a chance that he'd be on the Board when NO makes its pick. They could trade him, but maybe they are saying he's their guy if they don't trade him. After all, how could a soon to be very wealthy young African American sports celebrity refuse to play for the sports franchise of a predominantly African American city that has gone thru the tragedy and trauma that NO has ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

John McClain isn't one of the most reliable sources either.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Casserly said basically the same thing on his radio hour on Friday morning. (premature to discuss such things until the new coaching staff is hired, offensive philosophy established, etc.)

I would start off the head coach interviews with this question:

Tell us about your offensive philosophy and what the playbook would look like with a) David Carr at quarterback and b) Vince Young at quarterback. The floor is yours, you have one hour.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #14
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Player evaluations are not something that starts up at the end of the season. Hence why we have a scouting department. Their job is to monitor all players that elgible for the up coming drafts (Seniors, Juniors, and those few Sophmores). Especially being a hometown boy, you can be sure they have a fairly large file on Vince, and every other potential #1 overall pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #15
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

In the Denver Post this morning the beat writer, Anderson, said that if Kubiak is the coach, he would NOT pick Reggie, because his system of offense doesn't require a first round type back. Probably just conjecture on his part, but there is an element of truth to it. I'm just not real sure that a first time HC, with his first major pick, in his 1st draft is going to climb out on that limb. If he does, I hope it is to trade down and build the core of the team better.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #16
LoneStarState
Veteran

This may have been posted - but I just read that there's a press conference scheduled for this afternoon in Austin... Now all hell's about to break lose...
Old 01-08-2006   #17
bdiddy
Veteran

Default Possible but Unlikely Valid

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
In the Denver Post this morning the beat writer, Anderson, said that if Kubiak is the coach, he would NOT pick Reggie, because his system of offense doesn't require a first round type back. Probably just conjecture on his part, but there is an element of truth to it. I'm just not real sure that a first time HC, with his first major pick, in his 1st draft is going to climb out on that limb. If he does, I hope it is to trade down and build the core of the team better.
What the columnist stated is true, but according to the scouts a running back/athlete prospect of Bush's caliber has not entered the draft since Kubiak has been an OC. I think Kubiak would have to have a really good plan to justify to Mr. McNair his reasoning for not drafting Bush. Who knows until draft day? I am slightly suspicious that the Texans have leaked, according to Mortenson, that they will for sure draft Bush. This could all be part of a plan/smokescreen.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #18
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
The Front Office would be foolish to not have been evaluating underclassmen before now just because they hadn't declared. I don't really know why the Texans are trying so hard to proclaim Bush as the pick, I mean there's no harm in trying to leave a little bit of it to other teams speculation.

i can personally guarantee with my own eyes that they have grades on the junior class of the ncaa.....i've been in the offices, and i've seen the board, and i've gotten toasty with their current pro scout/ex college scout. Beleive you me, they have a grade on vince

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I ran the team I'd say " man these guys are great prospects and theres no way we can make up our minds right now ... heck it may take our whole 15 minutes on draft day to decide " .

Get the other teams squirming and maybe somebody will decide to force the action .
Old 01-08-2006   #20
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Casserly said basically the same thing on his radio hour on Friday morning. (premature to discuss such things until the new coaching staff is hired, offensive philosophy established, etc.)

I would start off the head coach interviews with this question:

Tell us about your offensive philosophy and what the playbook would look like with a) David Carr at quarterback and b) Vince Young at quarterback. The floor is yours, you have one hour.
Well from what we have heard, the interviews run about 8 hours long and have a section on breaking down game film of Reggie Bush, not Vince Young. Seems like the team has made up their mind despite McClain's flip flopping dreams.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read