Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2006   #1
BattleRedTexan
Rookie

Default Is Carr a LEADER???

I'm fairly new to this board, so I don't know if this has been addressed before...

I think Carr has all of the talent and tools necessary to be a GREAT quarterback, but the reason that I am all caught up in the Vincent Young "hype" is because I question Carr's leadership abilities.

Most people I talk to don't seem to think that Carr is a LEADER.

When you see V. Young play, he gives off a vibe that he is going to LEAD his team to victory. I'm just not sure if Carr has "it."

I truely hope that Carr become a great LEADER. I hope after having such a bad season, he will refocus and rededicate himself to being the very best player he can be..... Only HE can determine his legacy now. If he can LEAD the Texans to the playoffs, he will become Houston's "Golden Boy."

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with the NFL Draft...
Old 01-07-2006   #2
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

IMO, he is not a leader. And I don't think it's because he wasn't "allowed" to be a leader. People either are leaders or they aren't.

But I hope that he does improve, and I hope that I'm wrong about his leadership qualities, because it appears that I'm stuck with him - at least for the next year.
Old 01-07-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its about impossible to tell.. but from what I have seen he has the ability to be a leader.
Old 01-07-2006   #4
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

The Question is is he a leader im going to say NO simple as that.
Old 01-07-2006   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
IMO, he is not a leader. And I don't think it's because he wasn't "allowed" to be a leader. People either are leaders or they aren't.
When your team is run by an oligarchy of coordinators, you would be surprised what you can and can't do.
Old 01-07-2006   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

how can you say NO when you have no PROOF?

I think that people are equating winning with leading.
Old 01-07-2006   #7
BattleRedTexan
Rookie

Default You would think after 4 years...

You would think that after 4 years, we would be able to say FOR SURE whether or not he is a leader...

And I think there is a difference between being a sidelines "cheerleader" who tries to get people fired up, and being a true leader ON THE FIELD.

A leader, in my opinion, is someone who "takes the reins" and says:

"Okay guys, WE'RE going to win this game." (His team believes in him, and there is no doubt in their mind that they are going to do it.)

Last edited by BattleRedTexan; 01-07-2006 at 10:15 PM. Reason: n/a
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2006   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Why of course they do. Just like they equate losing with that tired and overused "no emotion or fire".

Old 01-07-2006   #9
J-Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedTexan
A leader, in my opinion, is someone who "takes the reins" and says:

"Okay guys, WE'RE going to win this game." (His team believes in him, and there is no doubt in their mind that they are going to do it.)

...then drives his team down into the opponents territory late in the 4th QTR and watches a perfect 30yrd strike bounce off the hands of his WR on the 2yrd line.

Bottom line is unless you are in the huddle or locker room NONE of us can really answer the question.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
Old 01-07-2006   #10
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think its about impossible to tell.. but from what I have seen he has the ability to be a leader.

he has the ability to be a leader but even Bob McNair questions it some. He said during the press conference that he wants Carr to step up more and take more of the leadership role on this team.

As soon as I find the exact quote I will post it.
Old 01-07-2006   #11
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:

Remember what Sharper said that got him cut. "We need a leader on this team" or something to that effect after they lost a close game.

You question Carr, you get kicked off the team.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 01-07-2006   #12
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Remember what Sharper said that got him cut. "We need a leader on this team" or something to that effect after they lost a close game.

You question Carr, you get kicked off the team.
why couldn't sharper have been that player? he reminds me of scott pippen as far as shirking responsibility when he is given it.

amazing how dunta is a leader in his 2nd overall season in the league and sharper never seemed to get to that point.
Old 01-07-2006   #13
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve
why couldn't sharper have been that player? he reminds me of scott pippen as far as shirking responsibility when he is given it.

amazing how dunta is a leader in his 2nd overall season in the league and sharper never seemed to get to that point.
Yeah, that was what a lot of people said, that's why most took it as a shot at Carr...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 01-07-2006   #14
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:

Doesn't he leave practice the second it's over - not spending any time bonding with his teammates?
Old 01-08-2006   #15
BattleRedTexan
Rookie

Default Carr better STEP UP

Well, I just HOPE that Carr STEPS UP this season.

He is just beginning to see how it is going to be for him if he does not perform. He's still young (only in his 4th season in the NFL) and people are already beginning to question him and talk about getting another quarterback.

Until this past season, people were still on the Carr bandwagon, but now people are starting to get tired.

As far as our draft pick goes, I think we will be fine either way. Bush and Young are both phenomenal players, and you can't go wrong either way (although the "hometown factor" has people in a frenzy about Young right now). If the Texans get either of these two guys, we will be in good shape.

But regardless of what happens, Carr needs to take this team to the next level next season. He needs to step up and LEAD the Texans, otherwise he is going to find people questioning him for the rest of his career. At this point, Carr's legacy is in his own hands, and I for one hope that he chooses to spend this offseason preparing to prove everyone wrong next season...
Old 01-08-2006   #16
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

On one of the early morning 610 interview Steve McKinney was asked this same question. Is DC the leader of the offense? McKinney answer was NO. Why? I don't know, he just isn't.

There is also proof of it on the sidelines during games. Othe sucessful quarterbacks, like Manning and Palmer take an active roll in guiding the offense. They talk to coaches, meet with wide receivers, running backs, and o-linemen. DC does none of this. He has not been, is not now and will not be a leader!
Old 01-08-2006   #17
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton
On one of the early morning 610 interview Steve McKinney was asked this same question. Is DC the leader of the offense? McKinney answer was NO. Why? I don't know, he just isn't.
That's pretty disturbing. If the guy who hands you the ball on every play doesn't think you're the leader, this team is in trouble.
Old 01-08-2006   #18
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot

Quote:

All you have to do is look in a Leaders Eyes when the game is on the line in the 4th Q! There is your PROOF IE: Montana,Brady and now VY at least at the College Level. Look at Montana and Brady last College Bowl Games.
I would hate to see in 3 yrs VY and Titans going to playoffs and Texans still saying Give Carr cpl more yrs. he is almost there! Reggie Bush ends up being like a Peter Warrick.
Old 01-08-2006   #19
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Man
Bottom line is unless you are in the huddle or locker room NONE of us can really answer the question.
Perfect statement. You can go ahead and close this thread....discussion over.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Old 01-08-2006   #20
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Perfect statement. You can go ahead and close this thread....discussion over.
Fortunately for us, we don't have to speculate on everything. Texans players provide just enough quotes to the media for us to form opinions about the general behind-the-scenes feeling.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read