Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2006   #1
Reggie_2006
Rookie

Default If WE Get Kubiak then whats the point on drafting Reggie!

Kubiak has proved to be able to make not so good RB into Great ones. Im not saying that DD isnt good but I think kubiak could make our running game a lot better. So I dont see why we dont get VY when he can make our Running game GREAT!!! What do yall think?
Reggie_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Because Kubiak really likes David Carr and wants to win right now not in a few years.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #3
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I agree. But then you would have to change your username.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Because unlike 99.999999999% of posters on this MB, Kubiak thinks he can take Carr to the next level.

So let me be the first .....

FIRE KUBIAK!

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #5
Reggie_2006
Rookie

Well with VY great leadership I think that and kubiak making DD better could turn this team around.
Reggie_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, if Kubiak does get hired, we could trade down and load up on defense and the offensive linemen he wants...
Old 01-07-2006   #7
Ryan71780
Rookie

We're gonna take Bush with the first pick. I think he and VY will be great, so taking either one won't be a mistake.
Ryan71780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2006   #8
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

what an idea, i cant believe it hasnt been suggested before... just kidding, if we draft reggie or VY i will boycott the texans, not really, but at least i thought about it, does that count for anything?
Old 01-07-2006   #9
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan71780
We're gonna take Bush with the first pick. I think he and VY will be great, so taking either one won't be a mistake.
just becasue CC says we will draft Bush does not mean we will. he could just be saying that to make a team desparate enough to give the farm..
Old 01-07-2006   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
just becasue CC says we will draft Bush does not mean we will. he could just be saying that to make a team desparate enough to give the farm..
Cass has not said we will draft Bush, all he said the day of the Rose Bowl is that we are not drafting Leinhart. Cass cannot talk about junior ball players.
Old 01-07-2006   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Actually he said before the Rose Bowl that we would not be drafting Leinart. He said after the Rose Bowl that we would not be drafting a quarterback but will be drafting a playmaking running back.
Old 01-07-2006   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

the Denver offense works with a pocket QB.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

He did NOT say anything about drafting a "playmaking running back"!

He said they wouldn't be drafting Matt Lienart. Period.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Bob Glauber said it. I remember hearing those exact words come out of his mouth.

It was on Cold Pizza the morning after the Rose Bowl.
Old 01-07-2006   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

That's an excellent question and one that I'd like to take a shot at.

If Gary Kubiak brings the Texans what basically amounts to the entire Denver Broncos playbook then it's impossible to miss the fact that the Broncos get good yardage out of most every back the insert. Let's look at the backs they've used since Shanahan got there.

1995: 237 attempts for 1117 yards and a 4.7 average (Davis)
1996: 345 attempts for 1538 yards and a 4.5 average (Davis)
1997: 369 attempts for 1750 yards and a 4.7 average (Davis)
1998: 392 attempts for 2008 yards and a 5.1 average (Davis)
1999: 276 attempts for 1159 yards and a 4.2 average. (Gary)
2000: 297 attempts for 1487 yards and a 5.0 average. (Anderson)
2001: 342 attempts for 1379 yards and a 4.0 average. (Davis + Anderson)
2002: 273 attempts for 1508 yards and a 5.5 average. (Portis)
2003: 290 attempts for 1591 yards and a 5.5 average. (Portis)
2004: 275 attempts for 1240 yards and a 4.5 average. (Droughns)
2005: 411 attempts for 1935 yards and a 4.7 average. (Anderson + Bell)

That's a lot of running and a lot of yards. I'd love for my team to have a series of backs and a running game like that for a decade. One thing you can't ignore though is that that many carries and that much mileage tends to wear down your RB. Terrell Davis had injuries, Mike Anderson missed 2004. The Broncos plug a lot of backs into their "system" because they go through a lot of backs. Davis alone will drop dead from this kind of workload. Obviously if you look at the list the Broncos generally get more out of more talented backs. Davis and Portis did better than Gary, Anderson (except for one great year), and Droughns.

Add Bush to Davis, Wells, and Morency and you have a kick butt backfield. We do need running backs in the Denver system. We do not need Vince Young. As Grid already mentioned the Denver offense doesn't require the next Mike Vick.

Kubiak and this system helped make Jake Plummer a winner, David Carr should prove to be no obstacle.
Old 01-07-2006   #16
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Kubiak and this system helped make Jake Plummer a winner, David Carr should prove to be no obstacle.
I know I'll get ripped but who cares: Jake Plummer, however, use to win in the clutch in Arizona when they sucked and had nobody before except Mr. Steriod. He lead the league in 4th quarter comebacks when he was in Arizona. Carr has one or two games trailing in the 4th. People think Plummer sucked horribly in Arizona and the Denver system brought him from total garbage to Pro Bowl level. He was never garbage, in my opinion he was just a guy who tried too hard because he had no one and wanted to win. When the game was on the line, Plummer stepped up. Carr hasnt done that here.

Quote:
COMEBACK JR. — Denver is used to seeing comeback wins. John Elway made a career out of late heroics, tying or winning a game in the fourth quarter or overtime a record 47 times.

Plummer is creeping up on his storied predecessor, however.

With the win over the Panthers, Plummer completed his 24th career game-winning or tying fourth-quarter comeback.
http://www.coloradoan.com/news/color...4_droughns.htm

That's after the Carolina/Denver game last season....

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #17
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
That's an excellent question and one that I'd like to take a shot at.

If Gary Kubiak brings the Texans what basically amounts to the entire Denver Broncos playbook then it's impossible to miss the fact that the Broncos get good yardage out of most every back the insert. Let's look at the backs they've used since Shanahan got there.

1995: 237 attempts for 1117 yards and a 4.7 average (Davis)
1996: 345 attempts for 1538 yards and a 4.5 average (Davis)
1997: 369 attempts for 1750 yards and a 4.7 average (Davis)
1998: 392 attempts for 2008 yards and a 5.1 average (Davis)
1999: 276 attempts for 1159 yards and a 4.2 average. (Gary)
2000: 297 attempts for 1487 yards and a 5.0 average. (Anderson)
2001: 342 attempts for 1379 yards and a 4.0 average. (Davis + Anderson)
2002: 273 attempts for 1508 yards and a 5.5 average. (Portis)
2003: 290 attempts for 1591 yards and a 5.5 average. (Portis)
2004: 275 attempts for 1240 yards and a 4.5 average. (Droughns)
2005: 411 attempts for 1935 yards and a 4.7 average. (Anderson + Bell)

That's a lot of running and a lot of yards. I'd love for my team to have a series of backs and a running game like that for a decade. One thing you can't ignore though is that that many carries and that much mileage tends to wear down your RB. Terrell Davis had injuries, Mike Anderson missed 2004. The Broncos plug a lot of backs into their "system" because they go through a lot of backs. Davis alone will drop dead from this kind of workload. Obviously if you look at the list the Broncos generally get more out of more talented backs. Davis and Portis did better than Gary, Anderson (except for one great year), and Droughns.

Add Bush to Davis, Wells, and Morency and you have a kick butt backfield. We do need running backs in the Denver system. We do not need Vince Young. As Grid already mentioned the Denver offense doesn't require the next Mike Vick.

I agree with what you say here. I just don't know about taking Bush with the 1st overall pick. I agree that if you bring Kubiak here and have a backfield with Bush/Davis we would have a helluva 1-2 punch. However I have heard some scouts say that Bush will be a 10-15 carry a game back in the NFL. IMO using the 1st pick and paying Bush #1 overall pick money would be a bit hefty for a back who splits time in the backfield and is not used as a primary back. I would be curious to see a Davis/Morency backfield behind a Kubiak offensive line. One thing is for sure, this will probably be the most interesting offseason to date. I honestly can say I have no idea what I really want to see happen draftwise for us, yet.
Old 01-07-2006   #18
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

From what ive heard... Bush will be a 10-20 carries a game back.. but you can also get 5-7 catches a game out of him too.

So yah, he will be splitting carries with DD.. but that isnt all we could use him for. Davis and Bush both are capable backs when it comes to catching the ball.. it would be interesting to see what kind of plays we could run with two backs that can do that so well.
Old 01-07-2006   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I know I'll get ripped but who cares: Jake Plummer, however, use to win in the clutch in Arizona when they sucked and had nobody before except Mr. Steriod. He lead the league in 4th quarter comebacks when he was in Arizona. Carr has one or two games trailing in the 4th. People think Plummer sucked horribly in Arizona and the Denver system brought him from total garbage to Pro Bowl level. He was never garbage, in my opinion he was just a guy who tried too hard because he had no one and wanted to win. When the game was on the line, Plummer stepped up. Carr hasnt done that here.

Nobody has done that here. Our offense has baby stepped for four years and just when we thought that it would pick it up a little bit following 2004 it collapsed and went so far back into it's collective shell that 2002 was starting to look good again. How many times have the Texans "gone for it" late in games here? How many times have we marched out to a 3, 7, or every once in a while a 10 point lead just to sit on it through the entire second half? I've seen bad things from Carr so I don't think he's above criticism. Don't get me wrong about that. I just think that almost nobody on this team has been put into a position to win or even improve.

Give him one season in a system that isn't the complete abomination that resulted from mixing Capers "peanut butter" with Palmers "chocolate". If he can't get it done then fine, we go in a different direction. There's always going to be another possibility at QB out there.

It doesn't really matter though because the Texans are going to give him his bonus and are committed to making him work. Kubiak, if he's the new coach will do what the Texans tell him to do. He's going to try and turn Carr's career around. I hope he succeeds.
Old 01-07-2006   #20
Grid
Hall of Fame

I honestly think that if Carr fails after getting another shot with a new coach, and an improved line.. the fans will stop supporting his being here (those that sitll do), and we will see a change.

If the rest of the team is working out good.. and Carr is a noticable flaw.. his days will be numbered. Face of the franchise or not.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read