Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2006   #1
Htown34s
Veteran

Default What has Carr done in 4 years?

OK, someone please show me an example of the potential of Carr. He has been here 4 years. Surely, in those 4 years, he would have to have had at least one shining moment. One game where he showed a glimmer of what his shining potential is. I'm just curious. I've watched all of the games, but I can't remember a single game where I said to myself "Wow, that Carr could be special."

My memory may be weak so please, describe what game or games we should watch again or try to remember that shows us what Carr could do one day.

I'm not flaming, I'd just like to hear some positive things Carr has done.
Old 01-07-2006   #2
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

comeback vs the vikes is the first that comes to mind...im sure there are more, but that hit like a freight train.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Here they come.....
Old 01-07-2006   #4
Bongo59
Veteran

the best thing one can say about him is you dont know what he can become because of bad coaching and no OL for the first 4 yrs..........I think you have to fire the coaches but i also would fire CC because he is the reason the Texans have no OL............and your drafting has blown..............Carr deserves a shot............but i would not pay that option...........id get him to agree to a new cap friendly deal or just transition tag him to trade him next yr..............but i dont think you guys can afford to trade him with their cap situation as it stands.
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Last year against Minnesota:

27 of 42 for 372 yards with 3 touchdowns and 0 interceptions

This year against the Rams:

25 of 34 for 293 yards with 3 touchdowns and 1 interception

He had a pretty good year last year considering how many times he was sacked (49)

285 of 466 for 3531 yards with 16 touchdowns and 14 interceptions plus 299 yards rushing
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #6
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans want to stay the #3 team in Texas, then they should keep Carr. If they want to get respect from all over Texas (and the nation,) then they should go get Vince Young.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #7
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Surely, in those 4 years, he would have to have had at least one shining moment.
Well..............

1. he has those awesome H-E-B commercials with Andy Pettite and Roger Clemens....those are really funny.

2. that thing with him growing out his hair until the Texans won 2 in a row showed some strong leadership capabilities.

3. Did I already mention the H-E-B commercials????
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2006   #8
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Wink

What has Carr done in 4 years?

Get sacked a total of 208 times for a total of 1226 yards including 68 for 424 yards(the most yards he's ever been sacked for) this season. I don't see how Vince Young could fair any better in the same situation when he still hasn't even played in a pro offense yet and that's including his college offense. Carr still completed 60% of his throws, so he is still accurate with his throws even with all the intense pressure coming at him, he can make all the throws if he just get's the time.

Last edited by LikeABoss; 01-07-2006 at 05:48 PM.
LikeABoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

It boils down to whether you want to blame everything on Carr.. or blame it on the Oline and bad coaching.

If you feel that Carr is at the root of the problem, then nothing anyone can say is going to change that in your mind.. because for every positive stat, you can say how someone else could have done better, or just quote a negative stat, like his sack totals, and say that his negatives outweigh his positives.

I think the fact that everyone in the league agrees that our Oline is bad... that he has been limited to 3 step drops for most of his career.. and that our coaching staff just got fired.. and that no phase of our game is working properly.. is a big indication that all the blame cant be placed on Carr. And if all the blame cant be placed on Carr.. then you have to consider how he did when he had control of the offense.. how he has improved every year (though this year was as bad for him as it was for the rest of the Texans)... how he has all the physical attributes needed to be a good QB. So on and so forth.

I dont think this arguement will be solved until we bring in a new staff and see how Carr does. Or if we bench him or cut him and get someone else.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #10
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

more Sundays than not he's been running for his life ....
Old 01-07-2006   #11
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
It boils down to whether you want to blame everything on Carr.. or blame it on the Oline and bad coaching.
Not necessarily. I pretty much blamed it all on coaching all year. The problem is that I have no clue if it's too late for David or if he can have the loser coached out of him. And he hasn't really shown any flashes of brilliance that I would have expected from a 1st overall pick. I would think that I would have seen something in him, regardless of the coaching.

Drafting Vince has about the same risk as keeping Carr, IMO. We don't have assurances that either of them will be good.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

True.. but why use a #1 pick on someone who is no more of a sure thing than Carr? I certainly wouldnt say that he is MORE of a sure thing.

I will draw my final conclusions about Carr next offseason. I want to give him one season under a new coaching staff. If he shows a marked improvement, then ill be happy to keep him for another season and see if he shows another improvement. I think in a couple seasons, with a better coaching staff and an improved Oline, Carr COULD be a great QB. But after this next season I think we will know for sure if he is a bust.

So.. one more year is my opinion. If he doesnt do well.. we will probably have a top 10 pick again, and we can use it to either get a rookie QB, or trade it to get an established one. I just dont see the point in getting Young. For one.. we dont know if we need him yet.. and for two.. running QBs havent done well in the playoffs, or the superbowl. Pocket QBs win championships.
Old 01-07-2006   #13
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah Grid this is what I have thought, but you know, no matter who or what is to blame, Carr should have at least shined for one complete game.

The Vikings comeback is the best game I can think of, although we had to come back after a bad first half and we still lost the game (if my memory is correct).
Old 01-07-2006   #14
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
True.. but why use a #1 pick on someone who is no more of a sure thing than Carr? I certainly wouldnt say that he is MORE of a sure thing.

I will draw my final conclusions about Carr next offseason. I want to give him one season under a new coaching staff. If he shows a marked improvement, then ill be happy to keep him for another season and see if he shows another improvement. I think in a couple seasons, with a better coaching staff and an improved Oline, Carr COULD be a great QB. But after this next season I think we will know for sure if he is a bust.

So.. one more year is my opinion. If he doesnt do well.. we will probably have a top 10 pick again, and we can use it to either get a rookie QB, or trade it to get an established one. I just dont see the point in getting Young. For one.. we dont know if we need him yet.. and for two.. running QBs havent done well in the playoffs, or the superbowl. Pocket QBs win championships.
Vince doesn't have any NFL wear on him. And Vince has a bigger upside. I just don't believe that Carr, after 4 years of being bad to mediocre, can elevate himself above good. Certainly not great.

Vince is a winner. He talked his own coach out of being a loser. Carr just doesn't have that type of impact on other people. Carr is a victim. He treats himself like one. WE treat him like one. That is not a positive in his favor.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

I understand the impact that Young had on his college team.. he WAS the offense. But keep in mind that running QBs have had limited success in the NFL.. pocket QBs win championships. Carr is a pocket QB who HAS shown talent when the situation allowed him to. I think that gives Carr better upside than Young, personally.

As for Carr's impact on other people.. I cant really comment on that because im not in the lockerroom with him. I think that our coaching staff repressed alot of the emotions that Carr COULD have shown. I remember him getting fired up those first couple of years.. running to the endzone.. getting the crowd and the team into it. I dont think there is any reason to beleive that his attitude has been unalterably changed. I think a new coaching staff.. a better Oline.. and a little bit of success.. will get Carr back in his old groove. I imagine it was real hard to get fired up this season... with all these last minute losses... and the same old problems they have had since 2002, still not fixed.

I dont think he treats himself like a victim either.. ive seen too many interviews where he COULD have felt sorry for himself, and didnt.
Old 01-07-2006   #16
stevo3883
All Pro

Young isn't a running QB. Tommy frazier = running qb
eric crouch = running qb
seneca wallace = running qb

Vince Young = DUAL THREAT (3300yds passing 26tds 10 ints 65%completion, 1000rushing yards 10tds at 7ypc)

that my friend, is as dual threat as it gets. No one in the history of College ball has come close to those numbers.
Old 01-07-2006   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

I watched the Rose Bowl.. he is a running QB.
Old 01-07-2006   #18
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
I watched the Rose Bowl.. he is a running QB.

congrats, you watched 1 of his 32 career starts and consider yourself an insider to his abilities.

brilliant
Old 01-07-2006   #19
Grid
Hall of Fame

hah.. so you are saying the Rose Bowl was a special circumstance and that isnt how he plays the game?
Old 01-07-2006   #20
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo59
the best thing one can say about him is you dont know what he can become because of bad coaching and no OL for the first 4 yrs..........I think you have to fire the coaches but i also would fire CC because he is the reason the Texans have no OL............and your drafting has blown..............Carr deserves a shot............but i would not pay that option...........id get him to agree to a new cap friendly deal or just transition tag him to trade him next yr..............but i dont think you guys can afford to trade him with their cap situation as it stands.
Coming from a non Texan fan/ non homer looking at the situation from the outside.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read