Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2006   #1
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Exactly how many interviews are we obliged to do?

I just saw that Childress has been hired by the Vikings, and according to www.nfl.com they only interviewed four other people. So the question is, how many interviews are we supposed to make before we can hire someone without getting a slap over the wrist from the NFL?
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Due Diligence ..... Be SURE you have found the right person for the job .... How many interviews ? .... As Many As It Takes To Find The RIGHT Man For The JoB !

How many would the Texans HAVE to do before the NFL was happy ? .... Depends ..... If they hired a minority coach or not .... If they did , they could probably do ONE interview and satisfy the NFL .

Hope is a poor mans disease.

Last edited by Corrosion; 01-07-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the NFL should have a NEW rule:

Every team must always have at least one WHITE runningback. Oh, and one Hispanic also. I'm tired of the discrimination.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We can hire anyone we want at this point...but we still have interviews this weekend. Cam Cameron is in town tomorrow....I hear we have a real interest in him and like how he used Tomlinson and schemed the Shottenheimer offense.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
We can hire anyone we want at this point....

Yep , they interviewed Kippy .... their token minority candidate .

Really I think that rule is STUPID considering that teams will interview a person based on their color even if they have NO INTENT of giving them a fair shot at the job .... People should be interviewed based on merit not skin color .

Old 01-07-2006   #6
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

havent heard any news on the kippy interview...has anyone heard anything yet? and is there a front runner for our choice as HC yet (and not the fans...i mean the organization)?????
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Yep , they interviewed Kippy .... their token minority candidate .

Really I think that rule is STUPID considering that teams will interview a person based on their color even if they have NO INTENT of giving them a fair shot at the job .... People should be interviewed based on merit not skin color .
Jerry Gray is in today. He is a black man. The NFL is only doing this because they had a problem in the past and they don't want a law suit for poor hiring practices in the past...really, it's not that big a deal and I think its the right thing to do anyway. The NFL went decades without giving any black men any consideration....for being a QB to being a HC.

Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2006   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jerry Gray is in today. He is a black man. The NFL is only doing this because they had a problem in the past and they don't want a law suit for poor hiring practices in the past...really, it's not that big a deal.
Well we interviewed Kippy Brown already.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #9
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
havent heard any news on the kippy interview...has anyone heard anything yet? and is there a front runner for our choice as HC yet (and not the fans...i mean the organization)?????
Here are his quotes:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ne...php?PRKey=2328

I heard a snippet of him on the radio the other day, and Kippy basically said that his advantage is in already knowing the players really well.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Jerry Gray is in today. He is a black man. The NFL is only doing this because they had a problem in the past and they don't want a law suit for poor hiring practices in the past...really, it's not that big a deal and I think its the right thing to do anyway. The NFL went decades without giving any black men any consideration....for being a QB to being a HC.

I know why they have the rule in place .... my take is that its unfair to some of the minorities that do get interviewed only because they are a minority just to satisfy the NFL's rule .... not because they are getting a fair shake .

Old 01-07-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
I know why they have the rule in place .... my take is that its unfair to some of the minorities that do get interviewed only because they are a minority just to satisfy the NFL's rule .... not because they are getting a fair shake .
That's the whole reason behind it. For instance...Others see Kippy Brown getting an interview and then they think that perhaps we thought highly of him and will help him get a bit of exposure. He was Jimmy Johnson's OC at Miami and left them to be a head coach at the aborted Wrassling football league....I'm happy he got an interview, and he may never have gotten it if not for this rule.

Old 01-07-2006   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
I believe the front runner is Gary Kubiak.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #13
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have a problem with the minority interview process. Even if one isn't hired, it at least helps them get the feel of the process. We don't need a good old boys network keeping anyone out. I don't think it is always race bassed, but we all are more likely to be comfortable with people we are more familiar with. This process helps people get more familiar with each other.
I was surprised at Kippy Brown, but Jerry Gray is legit. He is on more than our list.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls
. Even if one isn't hired, it at least helps them get the feel of the process. We don't need a good old boys network keeping anyone out.
Just because they are given the opportunity to interview for the position doesnt mean the "Good Ole boy" network is giving them a fair shot at the job . Just means they are going thru the motions for the sake of satisfying the NFL rules .

There are cases where ALL INVOLVED in the process are being treated fairly .... but there are many where they arent . Its just going thru the motions .

Old 01-07-2006   #15
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

As for the question that started this thread....we have already interviewed two minority coaches so we are NOT OBLIGED to interview anymore...but I believe the organization is taking this process seriously and really searching for a HC that will have a positive impact here in Houston.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read