Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-07-2006   #1
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPN article

I'm guessing this is on here somewhere already, but the mods can move my message to that thread since I couldn't find it myself

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2283797

Basically says the Texans are taking Bush no matter what, even if Vince is available.
C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think because Kubiak loves Carr and believes that he can bring him to the next level.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #3
pskinny
Veteran

Thank god. With all the VY hype I was starting to worry. It's too early to give up on Carr. The Texans have invested alot in him, and we as fans should see him with a different coaching staff and new Oline before we kick him to the curb.
pskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

So Casserly and McNair have made a decision about the 1st pick without even asking their next coach??? No wonder Capers failed...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #5
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
So Casserly and McNair have made a decision about the 1st pick without even asking their next coach??? No wonder Capers failed...
LOL. I've been mulling over the possibility that the Texans are going to hire the best candidate who says that David Carr can lead the Texans to the Super Bowl.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Kubiak has been the front runner before the Rose Bowl and still is the front runner. He loves David Carr and believes that he hasn't been coached properly, like almost every other coach and GM in the league, so they will pass on Young and pick Bush.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #7
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
LOL. I've been mulling over the possibility that the Texans are going to hire the best candidate who says that David Carr can lead the Texans to the Super Bowl.
My feeling, too...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2006   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I think they are saying that for two reasons:
1) To pump up Bush's value to receive a higher ransom on trade offers.
2) If we can't find a suitable trade, Bush is the one they'd draft anyways.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #9
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

What do all of you think bush would do behind Denvers oline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Bush stays at USC now
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
I think that is EXACTLY what they are doing. They are trying to find a guy that will tell them what they want to hear with Carr and are sticking to Carr because they don't want to look like they took the wrong player with their first ever pick.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #12
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I hope Bush stays at USC now
That would be great. I'd even like him to pull an "Elway/Eli."

My dream words to hear out of Bush's mouth:
"I do not and will not play for the Houston Texans. They should draft VY and leave me alone." - Reggie Bush

Old 01-07-2006   #13
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't put too much stock in these articles. I bet there are going to be "stories" about us taking someone the next couple of months. We don't have a head coach yet so to say that we are absolutely picking Reggie Bush come April is a bit premature.
Old 01-07-2006   #14
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
That would be great. I'd even like him to pull an "Elway/Eli."

My dream words to hear out of Bush's mouth:
"I do not and will not play for the Houston Texans. They should draft VY and leave me alone." - Reggie Bush
Sorry, but that isn't going to happen.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I think that is EXACTLY what they are doing. They are trying to find a guy that will tell them what they want to hear with Carr and are sticking to Carr because they don't want to look like they took the wrong player with their first ever pick.
I believe that to be true, as well. But it's not as if there aren't a lot of coaches out there who don't think Carr can be a successful QB. And there are some coaches that may be afraid of hitching their future to a rookie QB who may not start for a couple of seasons.

Put yourself in their shoes and ask whether it's the safer choice to keep Carr and grab Reggie Bush or have Vince Young and no Reggie. No more 5 year plans, McNair is going to expect W's from the next head coach. Let's say the next coach has Vince, but loses for the next 2-3 seasons. Just as Young is ready to produce, the coach is fired and the next guy reaps the rewards. That's probably what Dom Capers will think if someone like Kubiak gets production out of Carr. I just think most coaches will want to take Bush and keep Carr rather than dump Carr, take Vince and pass on Reggie.
Old 01-07-2006   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

If you think the fan base is quick to dump on Carr now...with his 60 NFL starts and very little production to back up his 7-8 million dollar cap hit, just wait till he struggles next year while we had a chance to give our franchise a clean start with Young. I think we would be patient with the Young era since most of the more knowledgeable fans aren't deluded into thinking we are going to be a playoff team next year anyway. If Carr struggles early this franchise is going to hear it.

Young = hope, while Carr equates to the failed first half decade of an expansion team.

Old 01-07-2006   #17
bigcarlos
Veteran

Quote:
If you think the fan base is quick to dump on Carr now...with his 60 NFL starts and very little production to back up his 7-8 million dollar cap hit, just wait till he struggles next year while we had a chance to give our franchise a clean start with Young. I think we would be patient with the Young era since most of the more knowledgeable fans aren't deluded into thinking we are going to be a playoff team next year anyway. If Carr struggles early this franchise is going to hear it.

Young = hope, while Carr equates to the failed first half decade of an expansion team.
Great post
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Thanks....This is like buying a bad stock and thinking if you just buy more of it, you can make your investment back. Let's throw more good money after bad money...that seems to always work.

Old 01-07-2006   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair is about to execute the definition of insanity by signing Carr.
Old 01-07-2006   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Young = hope
That's true. I think that Young's popularity buys the franchise time from plenty of fans. It also would help on the marketing side, with #10 jerseys flying off the rack and Horn fans buying seats.

But I think the core fans just want the team to win. I don't think they really care whose name is on the back of the uniform. And while there is a risk that Carr doesn't become successful, Young carries that same risk. If the Texans select Bush, the risk is softened because he can take pressure off of the QB, whoever he may be. I see a lot of Marshall Faulk in Reggie Bush, and Faulk made a former grocery sacker a 2-time MVP.

Regardless of which way the Texans go with the pick, two things have to happen. One, the offensive line has to be addressed at some point. For all of the great skill players playing in the BCS championship, it's not a coincidence that the 2 best offensive lines in the country were on the Rose Bowl field. Neither Young or Bush have done it without a good line in college, and they won't in the pros. Two, an innovative offensive mind has to be brought in to take advantage of Young's or Bush's skill sets. If you don't maximize what these guys do best (and conceal their deficiencies), the pick is wasted. More important than whom this pick becomes, is how the Texans support that player.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read