Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2006   #1
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Lopez article today

Don't know if it has been posted yet.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...z/3571536.html

I think it is a pretty good article. Whether you like Lopez or not, you have to give the guy some credit for being consistent unlike the rest of his Chronicle cronies.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty good look at what is going on.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #3
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer
Default Don't agree with some of the article

Quote:
They understand that drafting Young would bring a player with amazing potential, but fans' patience would be tested as Young's game is brought along slowly after a trade of Carr. Drafting Bush would immediately put the Texans in a class with something like Cincinnati, which has Carson Palmer, Rudi Johnson and Chad Johnson.

Instant playoff contender.

First off Carr is not Carson Palmer, secondly how in the hell are you gonna say just because we pick Bush over Young, that we'll be instant playoff contenders.....in all honesty no matter if we pick up Young or Bush, I don't see us making the post season next year, there are a lot of areas we need improvement in.
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #4
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

def better than anything the other two bozo's ever write
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Good insightful article, probably the best thing I have read from a Houston reporter this year.
Old 01-07-2006   #6
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream
First off Carr is not Carson Palmer, secondly how in the hell are you gonna say just because we pick Bush over Young, that we'll be instant playoff contenders.....in all honesty no matter if we pick up Young or Bush, I don't see us making the post season next year, there are a lot of areas we need improvement in.
He knows that this pick doesnt make us instant playoff contenders, but with help on the line and with new coaches and schemes he also sees the potential that this team should have tapped A LONG TIME AGO. And that was his point in mentioning our problems and woes, but also remember that we have more than just one pick in this years draft which seems to be a deep and talented one. The other picks should help out in filling atleast some of our troubled areas.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #7
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I think he is dead-on in that there are probably too many holes to fill on this team to try and fix both the offense and the defense. We will have to make due with a lot of what we have. IMO, we will see maybe ten new faces next year (not counting coaches). I am glad to hear further that the Texans are putting more stock in the coaching position. We all want to get caught up in the no. 1 discussion, but let's not overlook the biggest problem the Texans have had: coaching. That the Texans are investing 8 hours for each interview and that Dan Reeves is assisting McNair, is good news. I hope that this continues to be a positive progression. I wonder if any players are involved in this interview process.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2006   #8
A Texan
Veteran

I didn't see anything in the whole article worth reading. But that's the Chronicle for you. If the sports writers spent their time getting stories rather than expressing opinions which we don't need it would be a lot better paper.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #9
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

My favorite part is something that I posted last week and got attacked for because some people were on the Bush is "overrated" bandwagon. I'm glad he wrote it.

"There is hardly such a thing as a 25-carries-per-game back anymore in the NFL. Those kinds of big-bodied backs, with a few exceptions such as Seattle's Shaun Alexander and Kansas City's Larry Johnson, went out with high-top cleats.

Eight of the top 15 NFL rushers this season carried the ball 20 or fewer times per game. And of those 15, only Alexander averaged more than 22 carries, although Johnson did have five games of 30 or more carries after he became a starter."
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Texan
I didn't see anything in the whole article worth reading. But that's the Chronicle for you. If the sports writers spent their time getting stories rather than expressing opinions which we don't need it would be a lot better paper.

Almost all newspapers have sports writers who express their opinions. How do you think guys like Jay Mariotti, Tony Kornheiser, Dan LeBatard, and Michael Wilbon become famous?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Columnists write OPINION people. sheesh

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #12
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Columnists write OPINION people. sheesh
Its funny how terrible an opinion looks to you people when its not written through burnt orange colored glasses
Old 01-07-2006   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
Its funny how terrible an opinion looks to you people when its not written through burnt orange colored glasses
Opinion is opinion. He can have his all he wants.....but it's just his opinion. The mean age of this forum went down into the teens with all our new posters I think. Some of the banter here after the Rose Bowl has been a bit on the "my dad can beat up your dad" side. I guess I'm just frustrated....carry on....I don't do much better myself sometimes.

Old 01-07-2006   #14
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim
Default Carr vs. Palmer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream
First off Carr is not Carson Palmer ...
So is it to say that in your opinion that DCarr is not as talented or has as much potential as CPalmer? Just trying to get a feel of yours (and everyone elses) opinion on Carr vs Palmer. It is my opinion that DCarr could be miles better than CPalmer if he'd been afforded a similar supporting cast from day one. Just my miserable
Old 01-07-2006   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJim
So is it to say that in your opinion that DCarr is not as talented or has as much potential as CPalmer? Just trying to get a feel of yours (and everyone elses) opinion on Carr vs Palmer. It is my opinion that DCarr could be miles better than CPalmer if he'd been afforded a similar supporting cast from day one. Just my miserable
This is just me, but Carr has more raw physical tools that Tom Brady...but does that mean Carr is a better QB than Brady? No, it means Carr is a prototype....but that doesn't make you a great QB. Carr doesn't really have much over Palmer in the physical department either....He can run faster, but Palmer makes better decisions, throws a better deep ball, works the pocket better, and will challenge a team in the middle of the field and isn't self sacking.

Old 01-07-2006   #16
CoachJim
Veteran

Quote:
This is just me, but Carr has more raw physical tools that Tom Brady...but does that mean Carr is a better QB than Brady? No, it means Carr is a prototype....but that doesn't make you a great QB. Carr doesn't really have much over Palmer in the physical department either....He can run faster, but Palmer makes better decisions, throws a better deep ball, works the pocket better, and will challenge a team in the middle of the field and isn't self sacking.
Do you think thar DCarr's shortcomings are a product of the talent level around him (Oline)? Could he have been better outta the gate with say, NE's Oline? Would he still suffer from self-sacking, have better pocket presence?
Old 01-07-2006   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJim
Do you think thar DCarr's shortcomings are a product of the talent level around him (Oline)? Could he have been better outta the gate with say, NE's Oline? Would he still suffer from self-sacking, have better pocket presence?
Where have you been CoachJim? I've been saying the same thing about Carr for years now. I don't think we "ruined" Carr as much as I think he just doesn't have much instinct or much savvy. Carr may end up like Rich Gannon...small school guy who bloomed late. If we keep him that's my hope.

Old 01-07-2006   #18
CoachJim
Veteran

Quote:
Where have you been CoachJim? I've been saying the same thing about Carr for years now. I don't think we "ruined" Carr as much as I think he just doesn't have much instinct or much savvy. Carr may end up like Rich Gannon...small school guy who bloomed late. If we keep him that's my hope.
This would be once where I hope you're wrong mainly I suppose cuz I'd hate to know we blew a pick on him in '02 thinking he was the next TAikman & turned out to be DFlutie. (unless he learns to drop-kick)

If thats the case, what say we trade DCarr to Miami & let NSaban straighten him out and get RWilliams in return, draft VY & have an almost all UT backfield.
Old 01-07-2006   #19
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
They understand that drafting Young would bring a player with amazing potential, but fans' patience would be tested as Young's game is brought along slowly after a trade of Carr. Drafting Bush would immediately put the Texans in a class with something like Cincinnati, which has Carson Palmer, Rudi Johnson and Chad Johnson.

Instant playoff contender.
To add to what Dream was saying, Carr is no Palmer, it would first need to be seen if Bush is a Rudi in his first season and what makes the Bengals offense so good is their 2nd WR TJ Houshmandzadeh. Bush would not make us a playoff contender.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #20
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez
Eight of the top 15 NFL rushers this season carried the ball 20 or fewer times per game. [/i]
And 9 of the top 10 NFL rushers this season carried the ball at least 20 times per game. Spin it to fit the chosen argument.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read