Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-06-2006   #1
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10
Default TE anyone?

Anyone else noticed how sickly deep this year's draft is gonna be at TE?
Old 01-06-2006   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
Anyone else noticed how sickly deep this year's draft is gonna be at TE?
I was against David Thomas before the championship game, but after watching him block and make some acrobatic catches, i have changed my view. Thomas in the fourth.
Old 01-06-2006   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think that the lack of a good TE is really hurting this team. A good TE can be a great security blanket for a QB.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
I was against David Thomas before the championship game, but after watching him block and make some acrobatic catches, i have changed my view. Thomas in the fourth.
I would be all in favour of this if the Texans draft Vince Young I would even consider one of the premier TE's like Pope if the Texans drafted Young he uses them alot when reading the defense & checking off his options. can you imagine all 6050 233 lb Vince Young teaming with 6070 255 lb Leonard Pope
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I would be all in favour of this if the Texans draft Vince Young I would even consider one of the premier TE's like Pope if the Texans drafted Young he uses them alot when reading the defense & checking off his options. can you imagine all 6050 233 lb Vince Young teaming with 6070 255 lb Leonard Pope
i thought he was 6'8, not that it matters at that height.

I wouldnt mind a Pope, but maybe even a V. Davis if available. He is a physical freak like Young. However, if we wanted to improve our D in the secound and third, maybe even an OG in the second. Davis would still work for me w/one of our thirds or our fourth.
Old 01-06-2006   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Vernon Davis will probably be a first round pick
Old 01-06-2006   #7
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

We take David Thomas if we have a lower 4th if not then we hope he last till the 5th.
Old 01-06-2006   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Vernon Davis will probably be a first round pick
there is only a small chance that Vernon Davis gets by the Bears when the select in the 1st.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
there is only a small chance that Vernon Davis gets by the Bears when the select in the 1st.
i can actually see the bears taking pope instead...or maybe even lewis. But davis is very possible there or around there.
Old 01-06-2006   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

When Davis goes to the Combine he is going to shoot up the draft boards.
Old 01-06-2006   #11
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

How about Domonique Byrd from USC? Mercedes Lewis from UCLA?
Old 01-06-2006   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Isn't there a pretty good TE from Tulsa?
Old 01-06-2006   #13
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

Quote:
I think that the lack of a good TE is really hurting this team. A good TE can be a great security blanket for a QB.

that has been 1 of my reasons for months now. with 2 different TE's teams can pick up on run/pass then their coverages change. When rivers is in there its pass and if Breuner its a run majority of the time. We get A TE that can do both then all of the sudden Carr has a reliable outlet when the D blitzes and that will cause the D to back off into a cover 2. With the 8th man out of the box DD will be able to run freely and prob end the year with 1500-1600 yards next season. Obcourse the O-line needs upgrading too to gaurauntee that.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #14
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Isn't there a pretty good TE from Tulsa?
Yes and the guys name escapes me. He's a very athletic white guy, who I think may have even returned kicks for Tulsa at one time.

Don't be surprised to see as many as 3-4 TEs taken in the first.
Old 01-06-2006   #15
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think you guys are thinking about Garrett Mills. I've only seen him play like one or two games. He definitely doesn't have the prototypical TE build. I think he's under 240 or so.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

6'2 230 had 87 catches for 1235 yards and 9 TD's

seems a little undersized for the position
Old 01-06-2006   #17
BradK10
Hall of Fame

think Billy Miller but more athletic

Could be a Frank Wychek/Chris Cooley HB type
Old 01-07-2006   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
think Billy Miller but more athletic

Could be a Frank Wychek/Chris Cooley HB type
ya, but i want a reliable guy who can block. I would love for Olsen to declare, but I could settle w/Lewis, Pope, Davis, Thomas, Kloss...
Old 01-07-2006   #19
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Honestly guys we likely do not need to use a draft pick on a TE. Now if there is an athletic one in the 5-7th rounds that appeals to the team then I think about taking him. I feel we can get Teyo Johnson or another TE in FA for a cheap price for one year and decide if Joppru is going to be able to play. Rivers, Bruener, Joppru, Johnson. That locks us down for at least next year at TE. Now Rivers and Bruener would likely be shown the door next year. Joppru will also be gone unless he shows something impressive for a rookie. Johnson is the 6'5" receiving TE that can run and catch. He is not an overly good blocker, but we have Bruener so anyway.
Old 01-07-2006   #20
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Why go after a TE that can't do it all? We had that when Miller was here and that didnt work either.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read