Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2006   #1
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default This Vince love affair reminds me of...

Gerald Green last year with the Rockets.

Gerald was a local high school product out of Gulf Shores Academy

He was unbelievable in high school

He went played in the McDonald's All American game and won the slam dunk contest in addition to scoring several 3 pointers in a row

He was being compared to a young Tracy McGrady

People in Houston were salivating at the opportunity to get him

He declared for the draft

Was projected to be a top 5 pick

Some scouts had some doubts (obviously they don't know what they are talking about)

His stock fell a little

People were demanding that the Rockets trade up to get him

The Rockets did not and he was drafted by the Celtics after falling to the middle of the round

People were mad

The Rockets drafted Luther Head

Gerald Green hasn't played a minute yet

Luther Head is one of the best rookies

People have forgotten about Gerald Green

The comparison is not exact, but it is close.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #2
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

eh, i'm a diehard rockets fan, and the comparison isn't really that close to me.

the rockets never had a legitimate chance of drafting Green and they had nothing to offer in a trade, so one really talked about it much.

i think a better comparison would be the Rockets with Rashard Lewis or the Texans with Derrick Johnson last year.
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by travfrancis
eh, i'm a diehard rockets fan, and the comparison isn't really that close to me.

the rockets never had a legitimate chance of drafting Green and they had nothing to offer in a trade, so one really talked about it much.

i think a better comparison would be the Rockets with Rashard Lewis or the Texans with Derrick Johnson last year.
Yeah, I think it better compares to the Rashard Lewis selection. I don't know if Rockets fans were clamoring for Gerald Green to be chosen, unlike this where many Texans fans are clamoring for Vince Young.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #4
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Now replace Gerald Green's name with Rashard Lewis and the moral of the story does a 180.

We chose Michael Dickerson, Bryce Drew, and even Mirsad Turkjan over Rashard Lewis.
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #5
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Rumor was the Rockets were willing to give up two or three draft picks just to grab Green. I'm VERY glad they didn't do that. Green is close to being sent to the NBADL

EDIT: He has officially been sent to the developmental league.

Last edited by dtran04; 01-06-2006 at 07:36 PM.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #6
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

This Vince love affair reminds me of the Reggie love affair.
texasguy346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #7
BREAZE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Or the Earl Cambell love affair...
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2006   #8
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected

Note: This isn't directed at any one particular person. Just a general frustration I have with the board these days.

I just find it funny how quickly those who were avid Reggie supporters are to turn and call out the Vince Young supporters. Yet when anyone questioned their unyielding support of Reggie they saw it as an attack.

Supporters of both guys tend to use the same arguments:

"He's a phenom"

"He can carry a team on his back"

"He's the answer to our prayers"

"He'll take the Texans to the SB"

"He's faster than a speeding bullet and can leap tall buildings in a single bound"

Okay maybe not that last one, but you get the point.

People need to take a step back and take a good look at themselves. They're criticizing others for doing the very same thing they've done for months. Makes me wonder if anyone has heard the story of the pot and the kettle.
Old 01-06-2006   #9
BREAZE
Veteran

Quote:
Note: This isn't directed at any one particular person. Just a general frustration I have with the board these days.

I just find it funny how quickly those who were avid Reggie supporters are to turn and call out the Vince Young supporters. Yet when anyone questioned their unyielding support of Reggie they saw it as an attack.

"He's a phenom"

"He's faster than a speeding bullet and can leap tall buildings in a single bound"

People need to take a step back and take a good look at themselves. They're criticizing others for doing the very same thing they've done for months. Makes me wonder if anyone has heard the story of the pot and the kettle.
Its a great year to have the 1st pick and folks just want to make sure its the best pick. The good news is we would win more games next season if we drafted nobody. Can't really go anywhere but up from here...
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's what I was going to say.

Who will be our flame next week?
Old 01-06-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yep - everything changed after one (1) game. Then Casserly gets criticized for looking (supposedly) at only 4 games of P-Buc. I think some of us operate by the saying:

Do as I say, not as I do.
Old 01-06-2006   #12
real

Quote:

"He's a phenom"

I dont think I've seen many post with those arguments...
Old 01-06-2006   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well had I known the offseason was going to be this exciting , I'd taken more naps during the Texans games .
Old 01-06-2006   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Bad comparision. Please believe me that I was mild on my retort.
Old 01-06-2006   #15
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREAZE
Its a great year to have the 1st pick and folks just want to make sure its the best pick.
My frustration doesn't have anything to do with people expressing their opinion on who or what they think is best for the franchise. My frustration comes from all the back and forth attacks between the Young & Bush supporters.

People fail to realize that you can get your point across without implying or saying outright that anyone who believes differently is nuts.
Old 01-06-2006   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default KT on the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Bad comparision. Please believe me that I was mild on my retort.
Agreed.

I was gonna say something and then I saw this post. Xactly.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #17
barzilla
Veteran

They're both great players. Period. Anything that happens from here should be seen as a positive. If you select either guy you are in for some exciting times. Neither guarantees anything except a more entertaining team.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read