Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2006   #1
bdiddy
Veteran

Default Kubiak Assistant Info.

I am hearing that Elway is considering taking a consulting role if Kubiak is hired and possibly becoming the OC.

This is pure speculation, probably bull, but a friend from denver said this is what their beat writer is saying on talk radio. Of course if he is like John McClain, this is likely nonsense.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Interesting. I would rather have him as like a QB's coach because style wise I see a lot of similarities between Carr and Elway.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #3
daveebarb
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to daveebarb

I thought Elway on part of Denver NFL team.
daveebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #4
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

well it makes sense in both fashions depending on how you read it. a little clarification is needed bdiddy, thanks
Old 01-06-2006   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
I am hearing that Elway is considering taking a consulting role if Kubiak is hired and possibly becoming the OC.
Wasn't he a QB ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

I love it when threads start out with, "This is pure speculation, probably bull, but..."
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I live in the Denver area, and I doubt this VERY much. Elway has like 6 or 7 car dealerships that he owns and manages and he owns an AFL football team that he is very active with. Perhaps he would do it for awhile just as a favor for Gary. I think they are close.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2006   #8
bdiddy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
I live in the Denver area, and I doubt this VERY much. Elway has like 6 or 7 car dealerships that he owns and manages and he owns an AFL football team that he is very active with. Perhaps he would do it for awhile just as a favor for Gary. I think they are close.
They are close, thats the only reason I would even consider posting this. I think he could possible could be a consultant and work with Carr some during the preseason.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #9
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting idea. I would be in favor of it.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

This isn't too far from happening.

Nolan Ryan took a consulting role with the Astros. WHo wouldn't? You've got the second-best pitching staff in baseball (behind White Sox).

So it's not THAT much of a stretch to see Elway helping out Kubiak with a young QB like Carr who has a good arm and still has good potential.

Carr is on the edge of being Elway-esque. He can tuck the ball and run with it like Elway. He can fire it into receivers' hands like Elway. He just hasn't been able to read defenses and call his own shots like Elway did. And don't anybody peddle some bullcorn about how no NFL QB calls his own plays, and blah-blah-blah. Some do, and the ones that do are often the best in the business.

That would be awesome if this happens. And if it does, then we heard it here first.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #11
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I may be as big as an elephant, but my memory is not as good as an elephants. I never put Carr in the Elway mold until this post, but it does almost seem to fit.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

When I see Leinart chugging down the field...when I see Kerry Collins chugging down the field...when I see most of the NFL's QBs chugging down the field....I always say to myself, "Man, Carr is so much better at scrambling than almost 85% of these other guys."

And when I see Carr;s footballs scream off a receiver's hands or get through the hands and ricochet off the receivers' chest because they couldn't close their hands around it fast enough, I say to myself, "Man, that's just like Favre."

He's just a natural bi-product of a very flawed coaching style. A style that has never allowed him to call plays until this year. And if I am not mistaken, he did pretty darn well when he did.

He's better than the Texans' record shows. Ain't perfect, but he's not as bad as he's being made out to be. That's my two cents.
Old 01-06-2006   #13
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Elway would probably be a good mentor for DC.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

What I liked from that press conference recap was that Kubiak said that with some hard work he could bring Carr to the next level. I think he really likes him and sees a lot of potential. Bringing Elway in to help him would be a great idea.
Old 01-06-2006   #15
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
This isn't too far from happening.

Nolan Ryan took a consulting role with the Astros. WHo wouldn't? You've got the second-best pitching staff in baseball (behind White Sox).

So it's not THAT much of a stretch to see Elway helping out Kubiak with a young QB like Carr who has a good arm and still has good potential.

Carr is on the edge of being Elway-esque. He can tuck the ball and run with it like Elway. He can fire it into receivers' hands like Elway. He just hasn't been able to read defenses and call his own shots like Elway did. And don't anybody peddle some bullcorn about how no NFL QB calls his own plays, and blah-blah-blah. Some do, and the ones that do are often the best in the business.

That would be awesome if this happens. And if it does, then we heard it here first.
There is no way in HELL that Carr is "Elway-esque". If that isn't a statement then I dont know what is. There will NEVER be another qb like Elway so get over that thought.

Im not saying Carr is bad, because he's not...yes he can scramble some but he'll never compare to Elway in either arm strength nor his scrambling abilities. Elway will forever be remembered as one of the all time greatest qb's in football history...there is now way Carr even compares or should be compared to him.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

I don't think calling Carr a poor man's Elway potentially is too far off of a statement.
Old 01-06-2006   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

"...there is now way Carr even compares or should be compared to him." -- sprtsfanatic

--------------------

Were you saying this about Elway BEFORE he finally won a title?

Because he won a title at the END of his career, not four years into it like Carr is at right now.

A little "perspective," please, when you throw out comments like this.

Elway would have loved to have had a guy like himself who could come in and help him get through the dry years. Because let me tell you, it was very dry before he broke through with those two titles at the end of his career.

Elway was probably much more scrutinized than Carr ever will be.
Old 01-06-2006   #18
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Yes, way before he won the two titles. So take a step back and dont compare the Broncos to the Texans when they won back to back suberbowls...compare Carr and Elway...isnt that what your statement was about to begin with???

Carr will never be like Elway whether he ever wins a sb title or not...Elway is Elway and Carr will be Carr. But no way in hell that Carr will ever be the quarter back that Elway was.

Just remember who made the number 7 so famous and popular....do you really think that Carr will make 8 just as famous and popular outside of Houston??? I dont think so.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

To be honest we don't know how good Carr will be until he has proper coaching and a good supporting cast.

He was picked #1 for a reason. Obviously people thought that he had the potential to be something special. Could he be as good as Elway? Maybe. Could he be a disappointment? Maybe. We won't know until he is given a chance with a real coach and is protected.
Old 01-06-2006   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr and Elway like peas and carrots . Elway was a top 10 rated player out of high school who's dad was a college coach . Elway can be seen on ESPN Classics often , with episodes as The Drive . Your right their both 6'3 .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read