Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2006   #1
Dime
Hall of Fame

Default My take on the Carr / Young / Bush Debate

First off, let me say this.

Vince can run the ball... so can Carr (maybe not as much as juker as Young, but he does a good job)
Vince has a strong arm... so does Carr
Vince is a good leader... so is Carr.
Vince is a play-maker... sorry folks, but SO IS CARR.

You all have to understand. I really dont want Carr because I think he hasnt improved, however,

The only difference I see between the two is Vince seems to makes better decisions, better reads, and better ball placement. This is big to the effect that he already beats Carr on these as a junior. That being said, Even though I would LOVE to have him, we cannot take Vince Young. Why might you ask.

Sadly, we have all seen what happen to Vick, McNabb, and the like. Running QB's, while great, have been eventually get torpedoed and hurt. Carr has even got torpedoed, but is stout enough to get back up, which doesnt happen often. If they dont have a O-line. Then the chances are greater of them getting it. If we dont invest in a O-Line this year, then even Carr has a good chance of not getting up very often next year.

Running QB's are fun to watch, but arent fun to watch when your paying them 50+ million to sit on the bench hurt because we havent addressed thier protection. By the way for the Bush Mongers.. Bush goes nowhere without holes. If you want to see why Bush did as well has he did. Watch the videos and NOT look at Bush, but at his supporting cast. He is Awesome, but he has alot of help.
Old 01-06-2006   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime

Vince can run the ball... so can Carr (maybe not as much as juker as Young, but he does a good job)

You all have to understand. I really dont want Carr because I think he hasnt improved, however,

The only difference I see between the two is Vince seems to makes better decisions, better reads, and better ball placement. This is big to the effect that he already beats Carr on these as a junior. That being said, Even though I would LOVE to have him, we cannot take Vince Young. Why might you ask.

Sadly, we have all seen what happen to Vick, McNabb, and the like. Running QB's, while great, have been eventually get torpedoed and hurt. Carr has even got torpedoed, but is stout enough to get back up, which doesnt happen often. If they dont have a O-line. Then the chances are greater of them getting it. If we dont invest in a O-Line this year, then even Carr has a good chance of not getting up very often next year.

Running QB's are fun to watch, but arent fun to watch when your paying them 50+ million to sit on the bench hurt because we havent addressed thier protection. By the way for the Bush Mongers.. Bush goes nowhere without holes. If you want to see why Bush did as well has he did. Watch the videos and NOT look at Bush, but at his supporting cast. He is Awesome, but he has alot of help.
Great post, you have a lot of support and I agree 100%.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #3
titan hater
Veteran

Quote:

I would think the difference between Pro and Collage is the deciding factor. Remember that Carr was very good in collage as well....
titan hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree. When the stock recipe includes emotion, potential cap hell and not addressing your needs you are essentially killing the soup.
Old 01-06-2006   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice post but IMHO you are off on the list of intanglibles. Carr is not a leader and I bet if you took a private poll he would not be the guy they look too for leadership. The same was just said on 790. Vince is a leader and a winner. With all that said I think the smart move is Bush followed by O-lineman in the early to mid rounds.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-06-2006 at 04:25 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #6
titan hater
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
Nice post but IMHO you are off on the list of intanglible. Carr is not a leader and I bet if you took a private poll he would not be the guy they look too for leadership. The same was just said on 790. Vince is a leader and a winner. With all that said I think the smart move is Bush followed by O-lineman in the early to mid rounds.

I agree with you on the smart move...
titan hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #7
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
Nice post but IMHO you are off on the list of intanglible. Carr is not a leader and I bet if you took a private poll he would not be the guy they look too for leadership. The same was just said on 790. Vince is a leader and a winner. With all that said I think the smart move is Bush followed by O-lineman in the early to mid rounds.
i like bush then O-line/TE in 2 out of the 3 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Old 01-06-2006   #8
ronaldod1
Rookie

Drafting Vince Young would be a mistake. Sure he is a dynamic player at the college level, but how many games in the NFL is he going to run for 200 yards, not throw a touchdown and his team puts up 40+ points. He is slower and does not have the arm of Mike Vick, and Vick is not even considered (by many) to be a top tier NFL QB. You look at the top QB's in the league: Manning, Brady, Hasselbeck, Palmer etc. All pocket passers. The mobile quarterback has become an overrated commondity due to the fact that it just looks pretty. There are too many needs on this team to take a gamble on a guy like Young who is nowhere close to being ready to make an impact in the NFL. Quarterbacks thrive in systems, not on their own gifts. I say draft Reggie or trade down to solidify the team as a whole.
ronaldod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe your batting 500 . I'm not sure I've seen leadership , in fact I think OLs kill for their QB in games if they believe he can win it for them . Of course if their going to get blamed because their QB refuses to get rid of the ball ( the only think I can think of is he 's saving his QB rating ) then they expect the worse .

How many 4th quarter comebacks does Carr have in 4 years ?
Old 01-06-2006   #10
wenskek
Rookie

i am sorry, but i have not really even seen any leadership out of carr, especially this past season. this past season all i saw carr do was make those stupid faces and throw his arms in the air. come to think of it carr really wasn't even a playmaker this past season.
wenskek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #11
texans281
Rookie

Carr played in the WAC and never won anything

Young played in the Big 12 and won it as well as the National Championship
texans281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

How many good years has Carr had since he entered Fresno State . If I'm not mistaken its ONE .

I think your best QBs come out of power house programs where being OK is not an option . Then you may be ready to lead a NFL team and the pressures that come with it .

ps yes there are exceptions .
Old 01-06-2006   #13
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans281
Carr played in the WAC and never won anything

Young played in the Big 12 and won it as well as the National Championship
There are tons of QB's that win the national champship in College and didn't do a thing in the NFL, do you want me to give you names? There are also tons of QB's in the NFL that didn't win "anything" in college.

You need to do a little history and put away the burnt orange glasses for a while.
Old 01-06-2006   #14
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Elway never went to a bowl game at Stanford (thanks to the band).
Old 01-06-2006   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

During Elways day they only about 6 . I don't think they had corperate sponsers either .
Old 01-06-2006   #16
SESupergenius

Steve Young should have led his team to the national championships when he was in college, being in the WAC and all.
Old 01-06-2006   #17
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Agree. When the stock recipe includes emotion, potential cap hell and not addressing your needs you are essentially killing the soup.

Bush and Young are both in positions that we don't need and that we have a lot of cap money already tied up in. So you have to be in the camp of trading down.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Bush and Young are both in positions that we don't need and that we have a lot of cap money already tied up in. So you have to be in the camp of trading down.
Absolutley.
Old 01-06-2006   #19
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 78148 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Leadership? Guess who said this... "It's not a must win but it is a must play well". You can have that kind of defeatist leadership.

Young would NEVER make a comment like that.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #20
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
I respectfully disagree with these two points.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read