Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-06-2006   #1
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Default I can't believe this board

You know i had alot of faith in the intelligence of this board, but after that one game the way everyone has jumped on the Vince Young bandwagon its pathetic.

2 weeks ago the talk was either Linart or Bush or trading the pick. Vince Young has a monster game and everyone wants him now.

Is it really better for the team to take a Jr QB who until this year was viewed as a WR pro prospect to hand the team over to.

Sure i get it everyone loves Texas and he is from Houston, its a great story. But come on people does that one game change sooo much? Frankly USC lost the game because Carroll made some bad choices coaching, so if UT lost would everyone still be in Young's booty?

Give it a rest people the NFL is full of parity and worst to first happens quite often (see the Bucs this year) But scrapping a young QB for a unexperienced one is just going to set us back another decade and when Vince gets hurt running for his life where will everyone be.

I hope Vince is a good pro QB but i dont see him being better than McNabb or Vick, he doesn't have the explosiveness that they have or the Arm strength. He is more like Culpepper in terms of mobility just without the bulk. USC's defense isn't even in the top 25.

Realize it was a great college game and he playaed about as well as anyone could but that isn't pure transllation into NFL stardom.

We need to use our picks wisely and not try and make the fans happy. the fans will be happy when we win. It doesn't matter if our QB was a communist from Cuba if he won 15 games he would be a hero and the city would embrace him.

Vince young is an electrifying talent but he will not get this team winning in 06.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with you, but I am not sure what is worse, those that jump on the bandwagon or those that get hot under the collar because of bandwagoners. Tune them out, bring some data or a take to win them over. Throwing virtual stones usually does not work.
Old 01-06-2006   #3
pv1999
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I agree with you, but I am not sure what is worse, those that jump on the bandwagon or those that get hot under the collar because of bandwagoners. Tune them out, bring some data or a take to win them over. Throwing virtual stones usually does not work.
The FIRST smart thing I have seen from you. jj

Seriously, Let him whine he makes the other people look good.
Old 01-06-2006   #4
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

While I can understand your point of view you also have to kindly disagree. Vince Young is the #1 completion percentege quarterback. He threww for more yardage than any other quatrerback in the NCAA this year and ran for 1000 yards too. This dude is the real deal. Don't get me wrong I used to feelt he same way at the begning of the year. But seeing him game after game and what he has done over the last year has changed my mind. Maybe not compeltely as I believe it take more than just one year to prove consistency. But he has definately come a very long way from where he was last year. So there you have it
Old 01-06-2006   #5
Crash
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
You know i had alot of faith in the intelligence of this board, but after that one game the way everyone has jumped on the Vince Young bandwagon its pathetic.

2 weeks ago the talk was either Linart or Bush or trading the pick. Vince Young has a monster game and everyone wants him now.

Is it really better for the team to take a Jr QB who until this year was viewed as a WR pro prospect to hand the team over to.

Sure i get it everyone loves Texas and he is from Houston, its a great story. But come on people does that one game change sooo much? Frankly USC lost the game because Carroll made some bad choices coaching, so if UT lost would everyone still be in Young's booty?

Give it a rest people the NFL is full of parity and worst to first happens quite often (see the Bucs this year) But scrapping a young QB for a unexperienced one is just going to set us back another decade and when Vince gets hurt running for his life where will everyone be.

I hope Vince is a good pro QB but i dont see him being better than McNabb or Vick, he doesn't have the explosiveness that they have or the Arm strength. He is more like Culpepper in terms of mobility just without the bulk. USC's defense isn't even in the top 25.

Realize it was a great college game and he playaed about as well as anyone could but that isn't pure transllation into NFL stardom.

We need to use our picks wisely and not try and make the fans happy. the fans will be happy when we win. It doesn't matter if our QB was a communist from Cuba if he won 15 games he would be a hero and the city would embrace him.

Vince young is an electrifying talent but he will not get this team winning in 06.
Attacking the "intelligence" of the posters on this board, then misspelling "a lot" - two separate words - in the same sentence is not a good way to start for those of us who are in fact intelligent.

I digress. I have been a Horns fan for years and would yell at the TV everytime Chance Mock would get the start in lieu of Vince. I have have wanted Vince to come out all along, as I am sure many others have considered, too. Perhaps we are just being more vocal about it now that he has proven himself worthy of the number 1 pick. It wasn't just one good game...VY has been a stud all season long.
Old 01-06-2006   #6
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4741 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexNative
While I can understand your point of view you also have to kindly disagree. Vince Young is the #1 completion percentege quarterback. He threww for more yardage than any other quatrerback in the NCAA this year and ran for 1000 yards too. This dude is the real deal. Don't get me wrong I used to feelt he same way at the begning of the year. But seeing him game after game and what he has done over the last year has changed my mind. Maybe not compeltely as I believe it take more than just one year to prove consistency. But he has definately come a very long way from where he was last year. So there you have it
Here are the final 2005 rankings for QB's.
Link.

He's 10th in Comp. % and 18th in yardage.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #7
Crash
Rookie

Quote:
Kaiser, you live in Austin, so I must ask...Do you watch the Horns and the Texans? If you watch the Horns, you would know how consistent and electrifying VY really is. If you watch the Texans, you would know how badly we need to take the trash out to the curb and refurnish our house.

It almost sounds as if you want Vince to return to the Horns for selfish reasons, like trying to win a 2nd National Championship. Mack Brown talked about the fact that Young would be eligible for insurance if he stays, but...look at Willis McGahee. He stayed at Miami and got injured in the Fiesta Bowl. He was drafted, but didn't play one game his entire rookie season. He had insurance but was NOT PAID because it was not a career ending injury. Point being, he could have, and WOULD have gone a lot higher than 23rd and he missed out on a huge signing bonus, as well as his first year's salary. The risk is just not worth it.

I'm not on the bandwagon, I'm driving.
Old 01-06-2006   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
Kaiser, you live in Austin, so I must ask...Do you watch the Horns and the Texans? If you watch the Horns, you would know how consistent and electrifying VY really is. If you watch the Texans, you would know how badly we need to take the trash out to the curb and refurnish our house.

It almost sounds as if you want Vince to return to the Horns for selfish reasons, like trying to win a 2nd National Championship. Mack Brown talked about the fact that Young would be eligible for insurance if he stays, but...look at Willis McGahee. He stayed at Miami and got injured in the Fiesta Bowl. He was drafted, but didn't play one game his entire rookie season. He had insurance but was NOT PAID because it was not a career ending injury. Point being, he could have, and WOULD have gone a lot higher than 23rd and he missed out on a huge signing bonus, as well as his first year's salary. The risk is just not worth it.

I'm not on the bandwagon, I'm driving.
I watch both and want VY to come out this year to up our leverage on Carr and the #1. I am a season ticket holder with the Texans, they are my main allegiance.

If you look at the majority of my posts I have been one of the biggest critics of DC over the year.
Old 01-06-2006   #9
CenTexNative
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle
Here are the final 2005 rankings for QB's.
Link.

He's 10th in Comp. % and 18th in yardage.
I stand corrected but if you look at the ratings he's 3rd compared to is 8th. And the 2 in front of him are from Arizona State and Luoisville. Not exactly powerhouses. But again I stand corrected. Point made and point taken.
Old 01-06-2006   #10
pv1999
Veteran

So, Texas goes on a 19-game winning streak. The only real pro offensive prospect is Vince and people call him "one game wonder"? Maybe he does have a point about the intelligence of some of our posters.
Old 01-06-2006   #11
Afrokid
Rookie

only reason texans wanted bush in the first place is because of his 500 yard + game against fresno....and now the only reason we want young is because of his awsome performance at the rose bowl...heh...go figure... BTW is Leinart going to get a chance to redeem himself in the Senior Bowl since he technically is still a senior (a super senior)
Afrokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #12
CenTexNative
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv1999
So, Texas goes on a 19-game winning streak. The only real pro offensive prospect is Vince and people call him "one game wonder"? Maybe he does have a point about the intelligence of some of our posters.
You forgot to mention that he is also 30-2 as a starter. And I hve to agree with your statement about the intelligence of some of our posters.
Old 01-06-2006   #13
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Posted - 11-28-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
I'd say reggie bush was the best player ever etc. IF he were at least 15 pounds heavier without losing any speed, quickness or agility. right now at a hair over 200lbs. Yes he is bigger than Warrick Dunn, but he is still Michael Vick sized and for that he will always be questioned as a full time back. Although having Davis to share carries in the backfield will make it better, and a new coach (martz will make his attempt) will try to utillize him in rather ingenious ways.(ie WR)
You posted that 9 days after Bush shredded Fresno State.

Hello pot, meet kettle.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

Ken Dorsey had a 34 game winning streak.

Where is he now?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #15
pv1999
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Posted - 11-28-2005

You posted that 9 days after Bush shredded Fresno State.

Hello pot, meet kettle.
OHHHHHH!!!
Exposed, Naked, Undressed, Out in the open, Revealed, Truth.

Stop the Hypocracy, just say you don't like Vince and move on. The funny thing is that the one game that VY showed up for (besides the 30 he won) just happened to be for the biggest prize in College Football. If that makes him a one gamer, like Maurice Clarette who also would have been drafted if he was allowed to enter, then Vince is the Larry Brown (one hit wonder from the Cowboys, not the coach) of the NCAA.
Old 01-06-2006   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan

Where is he now?
ding fries are done, ding fries are done
Old 01-06-2006   #17
pv1999
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan

Where is he now?
C'mon
Look around Ken Dorsey,QB, SF 49ers, and ask where are they?
Look around Vince and ask where will they be?
Old 01-06-2006   #18
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
OHHHHHH!!!
Exposed, Naked, Undressed, Out in the open, Revealed, Truth.

Stop the Hypocracy, just say you don't like Vince and move on. The funny thing is that the one game that VY showed up for (besides the 30 he won) just happened to be for the biggest prize in College Football. If that makes him a one gamer, like Maurice Clarette who also would have been drafted if he was allowed to enter, then Vince is the Larry Brown (one hit wonder from the Cowboys, not the coach) of the NCAA.
some of you act as if somebody does not want the Texans to draft Vincent Young that they hate him. i would love for Young to come here, but the Texans have more pressing needs than a QB who would sit for 1-2 years. whoever they take at the top of the draft this year has to make an immediate impact.
Old 01-06-2006   #19
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that nobody thought Vince was going to come out this year. The Rose Bowl changed that thinking. Now Vince is on top and is better served by coming out. So it isn't so much of people jumping on his bandwagon as much as people that have been his fans excited about the fact that now he may come out.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #20
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 17854 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ding fries are done, ding fries are done
he works at Burger King making flame broiled whoppers?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read