Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2006   #1
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP
Default Mortensen on Dan Patrick Show

anyone else listening to this?

interesting tidbits

1) David Carr is an infinitely better passer than Vince Young
2) Vince Young will not be able to run around in the NFL like he does in college
3) Carr is almost as fast as Young
4) Bush to the Texans, he doesn't think New Orleans would take Young
5) lots of evaluting left to be done
Old 01-06-2006   #2
donbmt
Veteran

Default "No way" on VY

Chris Mortenson just said on the Dan Patrick that there is "no way" the Texans take Young, he even said that Carr is the better QB and could probably beat Young in the 40.

Just for the record, I agree, all this talk about the next Charlie Ward/Michael Vick is starting to really wear on me.
Old 01-06-2006   #3
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

I'm all for David Carr as well. Carr has a better arm, has scrambling ability....damn good one too, nice legs. Has NFL experience. All Carr needs is a good coaching staff. One that will take advantage of Carr's strenghts and actually teach the kid a thing or two, what you would call coaching....not whatever it was that Capers & Co. supposedly were doing.

Let's not forget an O-line, a TE, and a #2 WR. Bam....Texans are set...on offense that is.
Old 01-06-2006   #4
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I am not gonna say DC has more straight line speed that Young, but everyone already knew he was the better passer. This is nothing new just more sensationalism to try and provoke the masses into debate.
Old 01-06-2006   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Us fans are in the habit of seeing such bad coaching that we are attributing the bad play and the bad record to the players, not fully understanding that it takes two to tango.

I almost fell for the "Trade Carr's sorry rear" about mid-season, but I regained my composure and I am now firmly of the belief that you ride out the storm with Carr and see what better coaching and better o line protection will do for the team.

If Carr is still at the same level of performance, then it's time for him to go somewhere else and see if he can flourish there.

I'm actually sorta' OK with Bush at No. 1, but I still hope we draft an o lineman in the first round. We've never done it, and we need to IMO.
Old 01-06-2006   #6
bigTEXan8
All Pro

That may be pushing it if Carr is faster than Young. Young is a burner.
Old 01-06-2006   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm

interesting tidbits

2) Vince Young will not be able to run around in the NFL like he does in college
1) Right now, yes
2)True
3) Not even close--lie
4) Agree
5) True

The 40 yard dash is such a bull thing. Young would win and in gneral Vinces speed/quickness and acceleration is what sets him apart.
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2006   #8
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm not sure when it was determined that carr was actually fast. honestly, i'd put him as about the same speed as brady or the mannings. the only difference is that carr's always on the run (and half of the time cant even get back to the LOS). pure arm, i think carr's got the obvious lead. like coach said though, it's a bunch of hype being created. these guys are no different from the posters on this forum. if one of em has a man-crush on reggie bush, then he's going to talk down on his closest competitor to try to make a point ... and vice versa.
Old 01-06-2006   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, the speed argument is total bunk.

That was pretty weak, Mr. Mortensen.

Geez...........
Old 01-06-2006   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Yeah, the speed argument is total bunk.

That was pretty weak, Mr. Mortensen.

Geez...........
Agreed. He wrote yesterday trying to put him down. I used to like Mort but since he now fancies himself as the ONLY inside the NFL guy he makes some pretty moronic observations. I wish people called him every time one of his rumors didn't pan out. It happens often.
Old 01-06-2006   #11
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
That may be pushing it if Carr is faster than Young. Young is a burner.
Speed can be deceiving. Speed is "relative". Carr is running around among NFL speed, while Young has been running around among NCAA speed. There is a difference and this makes Young look faster than he will look in the NFL. See Mike Vick. What Young has is an elusiveness that Carr doesn't have.
Old 01-06-2006   #12
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Us fans are in the habit of seeing such bad coaching that we are attributing the bad play and the bad record to the players, not fully understanding that it takes two to tango.

I almost fell for the "Trade Carr's sorry rear" about mid-season, but I regained my composure and I am now firmly of the belief that you ride out the storm with Carr and see what better coaching and better o line protection will do for the team.

If Carr is still at the same level of performance, then it's time for him to go somewhere else and see if he can flourish there.

I'm actually sorta' OK with Bush at No. 1, but I still hope we draft an o lineman in the first round. We've never done it, and we need to IMO.
Yes sir. The benefit of the doubt has to be given to Carr. I mean...c'mon...the kid came into an expansion team as a rookie starter with no veteran to learn from. He's never had an O-line. We've seen what he can do on offense, many games come into mind where the offense looked spectacular...where the Texans weren't playing like the Texans, all conservative but rather like a high flying-potent offense. However...thanks to Capers....Carr and his weapons could do much but audible a run down the middle for a loss.

I'd hate for Carr to go to another team, with a competent O-line along with a respectable coaching staff all because we never really gave him things that other QBs have and need and thus have success. We can't bash Carr until he has what's needed. Once he has that O-line, that TE, that #2 WR, a coaching staff that's improved the offense giving Carr opportunities to make strides in.....but Carr continues to hinder this team from progressing throwing INTs, making bad/costly mistakes......then he should be let go. Cause then...without a doubt...the guy's a dud. That can't be said of him now.
Old 01-06-2006   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Carr is pretty fast, but I would say that Young is faster than him. He isn't as fast as Matt Jones or Michael Vick, but I would say that his 40 time is in the 4.4's. Carr is probably closer to 4.6 or a little higher. Not too bad.
Old 01-06-2006   #14
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTexans08
I'd hate for Carr to go to another team, with a competent O-line along with a respectable coaching staff all because we never really gave him things that other QBs have and need and thus have success. We can't bash Carr until he has what's needed. Once he has that O-line, that TE, that #2 WR, a coaching staff that's improved the offense giving Carr opportunities to make strides in.....but Carr continues to hinder this team from progressing throwing INTs, making bad/costly mistakes......then he should be let go. Cause then...without a doubt...the guy's a dud. That can't be said of him now.

he shoots, he scores ...
Old 01-06-2006   #15
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Yeah...that' true. I think VY also has a little better balance than Carr.
Old 01-06-2006   #16
LCOOL
Rookie

Angry

Quote:

interesting tidbits

Chris Mortenesen doesn't know anything, he probably dosen't think a black quaterback can make it along with teh only the other naysayers, for a while a black college quaterback will be a reciever in the NFL, and know they are starters on a lot of pro teams, how many times does vy has to prove himself, there are so many racial overtones about vy, this a shame. The brotha is good,so give him his props!
Old 01-06-2006   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
he shoots, he scores ...
I'm thinking people just have different ways of looking at things. You can't put together the perfect team and THEN give a guy a shot. Franchise QBS make things happen and grow in the worst situations. Is the line horrible..you bet!However I remember Bledsoe getting his bell rung alot and when Brady stepped in with the same line, he thrived. Not saying Banks is the man,,he isn't close but he didn't get touched for the most part in the 49ers game and still had time to throw, albeit badly, compared to Carr. Carr HASNT learned and THAT is his problem. He makes the same mistakes over and over. It is like the shock treatment hasn't phased him and he wants it his way.
Old 01-06-2006   #18
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCOOL
Chris Mortenesen doesn't know anything, he probably dosen't think a black quaterback can make it along with teh only the other naysayers, for a while a black college quaterback will be a reciever in the NFL, and know they are starters on a lot of pro teams, how many times does vy has to prove himself, there are so many racial overtones about vy, this a shame. The brotha is good,so give him his props!
The first I heard about VY's race being a factor was this post.
Old 01-06-2006   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCOOL

Is that why he compared him to white QB Matt Jones? Race has nothing to do with scouts liking or not liking Vince Young.
Old 01-06-2006   #20
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

LCOOL I understand a certain race card play, but brotha it is not here and not now. Some of us that are critical of VY are black and not because of the crab mentality our people display, but because he does have issues in his game like every player. Mortensen may hate our people, but regardless he has to respect our abilities. The man has scouted and watched more football than most on this board and I would doubt that he feels a white, black, asian, or hispanic QB can play better than any other.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read