Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2006   #1
ATX
Hall of Fame
 
ATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin
Age: 34
Posts: 9,563
Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Can we get Bush and Young?

OK, just thought I'd throw this out there. I'm not saying we should try and do this, but just wanted some takes on this one. Here's the scenario.

1. We don't pick up the option on Carr and trade him to the Saints for their number 2 pick,along with maybe one of 3rd round, and say 6th round along with our 3rd rounder for next year.
2. With the 1st pick we take Bush.
3. With the 2nd pick we take Vince Young.

This still leaves us with our 2nd, one 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th round picks for this year. You think the Saints would take this offer? Would you, as a Texans fan, go for this?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #2
Johnny Utah
All Pro
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 551
Rep Power: 11 Johnny Utah is ridin' the pine
Default

Saints wouldn't go for it, and we couldn't afford it. The top two picks in the NFL draft are going to cost a ton of money.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #3
TheOgre
Hall of Fame
 
TheOgre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back in the cellar again
Posts: 3,739
Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP
Default

No way it could happen. It would cost us Carr, our 2007 1st, and someone like AJ or Robinson.
__________________
"...the Texans select...Adrian Peterson, RB, University of Oklahoma."
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #4
Coach C.
Hall of Fame
 
Coach C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SE Houston
Posts: 1,422
Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler
Default

Wow this is complete lunacy, and obviously someone loves madden where this can actually happen. Well pimpin put down the sticks and understand real football pleaze.
__________________
"Inconsistency is the only thing in which men are consistent" Horace Smith. 12-7 Aggies!!!
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod
 
Kaiser Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Straight Outta Austin
Age: 44
Posts: 16,033
Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Sir, step away from the pipe.
__________________
Smell the glove is here
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track
 
Hervoyel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 49
Posts: 14,544
Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

This can easily be done. It's just a matter of one very important thing happening. Vince Young has to wait until 2007 to come out.

I want to believe that the Texans made a good decision picking David Carr in 2002. I want to believe that the problem has been coaching and a lousy system. I want to see David Carr play a year (or more) under another coach in another offense.

The Texans, assuming they don't trade the pick, need to take Bush with their #1. Then we need to see what happens next year with David Carr. For now take the least expensive possible route to keeping him. I don't know the Texans options on this inside and out like some of the guys in here but I know they don't have to give the man 8 million dollars to stay. There is a less expensive option available. Take it and give a new staff one year to work with him.

If they can't make it happen then you trade David Carr next year for whatever you can get. Seriously, if you're convinced at that point that he's not the answer (even if it's the Texans own fault for getting him beaten senseless in his first four seasons) then you cut your losses and make the trade. If it comes to it you just cut him. Then you move into position to take Vince Young in 2007.

People are going to say that we won't be picking high enough to get Young next year but seriously, if we do the 2006 season with Carr at QB and he hasn't convinced the staff that he's their guy then in all likelyhood that means the team will lose enough games to get close. Then we trade up a bit and he's ours.

I don't think it will work out that way myself.
__________________
A wise man once said "...well at this point it's all been hashed out and you either see it or don't. Hoping for a win next week" - HTown2ATX
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #7
ATX
Hall of Fame
 
ATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin
Age: 34
Posts: 9,563
Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

I know this probably wouldn't happen in my wildest dreams. Just thought i'd throw it out there. :brickwall
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2006   #8
Fldvldog
Veteran
 
Fldvldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Orange Park FL.
Age: 33
Posts: 351
Rep Power: 10 Fldvldog is ridin' the pine
Default

David Carr for a #2 overall pick? They may be hurtin' right now, but the Saints organization isn't that dumb.
Fldvldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #9
Bubbajwp
All Flopper
 
Bubbajwp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the Warehouse
Age: 26
Posts: 3,198
Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

It would take carr and our whole draft. Atleast
__________________
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #10
Bubbajwp
All Flopper
 
Bubbajwp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the Warehouse
Age: 26
Posts: 3,198
Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
This can easily be done. It's just a matter of one very important thing happening. Vince Young has to wait until 2007 to come out.

I want to believe that the Texans made a good decision picking David Carr in 2002. I want to believe that the problem has been coaching and a lousy system. I want to see David Carr play a year (or more) under another coach in another offense.

The Texans, assuming they don't trade the pick, need to take Bush with their #1. Then we need to see what happens next year with David Carr. For now take the least expensive possible route to keeping him. I don't know the Texans options on this inside and out like some of the guys in here but I know they don't have to give the man 8 million dollars to stay. There is a less expensive option available. Take it and give a new staff one year to work with him.

If they can't make it happen then you trade David Carr next year for whatever you can get. Seriously, if you're convinced at that point that he's not the answer (even if it's the Texans own fault for getting him beaten senseless in his first four seasons) then you cut your losses and make the trade. If it comes to it you just cut him. Then you move into position to take Vince Young in 2007.

People are going to say that we won't be picking high enough to get Young next year but seriously, if we do the 2006 season with Carr at QB and he hasn't convinced the staff that he's their guy then in all likelyhood that means the team will lose enough games to get close. Then we trade up a bit and he's ours.

I don't think it will work out that way myself.
Exactly if Carr fails to impress the coachs this year then we most likely will still have a top ten pick. It doesnt look like our defense will be much improved next year.
Sign Carr to a two year extension and draft v young next year let him sit behind carr for one season.
__________________
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #11
run-david-run
Hall of Fame
 
run-david-run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The University of Texas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,370
Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run
Default

well, lets see... we would have to pay for Carr;s extention (8M). We then draft Bush first ($40M), then Young ($40)... looks good to me...oh, and whatever your smoking, pass it over!!!
__________________
Andre Johnson is The Answer
run-david-run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #12
cadahnic
All Pro
 
cadahnic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 33
Posts: 812
Rep Power: 10 cadahnic is a fan favorite
Default

We would lose 8 million in cap space for trading David Carr, plus Vince at #1 will cost $55-60 million, $45-50 million at #2. Reggie Bush at #1 will cost $50-55 million, $40 at #2, so between Vince and Bush it will cost a total of $95-$100 million together, about $18-20 million a year combined, so to make that trade it's $26-28 million against the cap next year just to get two players, not to mention we'd be starting two rookies at the two most important positions on the field, aside from the fact that the Saints would never make that trade. Also, you said we don't pick up the option on Carr and then trade him, but if we don't pick up the option then he becomes a free agent and he leaves.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame
 
HJam72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over here.
Age: 41
Posts: 11,500
Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Can we get LT and Peyton Manning to go with them? I hear those guys are OK.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #14
Jack Bauer
All Pro
 
Jack Bauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Age: 48
Posts: 721
Rep Power: 9 Jack Bauer is ridin' the pine
Default

You don't need to trade with the Saints for this to occur.

I posted this in another thread, but this would work (it won't happen):

Pulillo brought this up today. What if Young stays in school and we draft Bush. Then some "scenario" forces Young to request a supplemental draft because he loses his eligibility. Houston would have the first pick of the supplemental draft also. Like Pulillo said, this won't happen, but that would be a way to get both players this year!
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #15
Bubbajwp
All Flopper
 
Bubbajwp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the Warehouse
Age: 26
Posts: 3,198
Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
We would lose 8 million in cap space for trading David Carr, plus Vince at #1 will cost $55-60 million, $45-50 million at #2. Reggie Bush at #1 will cost $50-55 million, $40 at #2, so between Vince and Bush it will cost a total of $95-$100 million together, about $18-20 million a year combined, so to make that trade it's $26-28 million against the cap next year just to get two players, not to mention we'd be starting two rookies at the two most important positions on the field, aside from the fact that the Saints would never make that trade. Also, you said we don't pick up the option on Carr and then trade him, but if we don't pick up the option then he becomes a free agent and he leaves.
We could franchise him.
__________________
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #16
FILO_girl
I'm not here
 
FILO_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: HOU-finally moved in the big city
Posts: 1,676
Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fldvldog
David Carr for a #2 overall pick? They may be hurtin' right now, but the Saints organization isn't that dumb.
Bet the Jags would love a mobile QB. Great physique and tough too. Shall we call DelRio?

There is no way we can draft both. Nada, no way, not even. We will pick one of the hot picks and hopefully some awesome O line help. Last weekend in April is going to be quite exciting for us in Houston, hope everyone on here can hang on until then.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #17
Afrokid
Rookie
 
Afrokid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 26
Posts: 48
Rep Power: 0 Afrokid is ridin' the pine
Default

If Young comes out 2007 he is a Titan . Just look at the titans schedule next year. Only team with a losing record that they play would be us ....
Afrokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #18
Texans86
All Pro
 
Texans86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Waco, Texas
Age: 28
Posts: 927
Rep Power: 9 Texans86 is a team player
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl
Bet the Jags would love a mobile QB. Great physique and tough too. Shall we call DelRio?

There is no way we can draft both. Nada, no way, not even. We will pick one of the hot picks and hopefully some awesome O line help. Last weekend in April is going to be quite exciting for us in Houston, hope everyone on here can hang on until then.
I'm not sure if you were serious about the Jags wanting a running QB, but they already have one. His name is David Garrard, and he tore our defense apart in week 16. He also led them to a 4-1 record while Leftwich was hurt. I don't think Jags are in the market for a QB.
__________________
"Only the Sith deal in absolutes." ---Wait, isn't that an absolute?
Texans86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #19
cadahnic
All Pro
 
cadahnic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 33
Posts: 812
Rep Power: 10 cadahnic is a fan favorite
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr
You don't need to trade with the Saints for this to occur.

I posted this in another thread, but this would work (it won't happen):

Pulillo brought this up today. What if Young stays in school and we draft Bush. Then some "scenario" forces Young to request a supplemental draft because he loses his eligibility. Houston would have the first pick of the supplemental draft also. Like Pulillo said, this won't happen, but that would be a way to get both players this year!
Vince is not going to go back to school just to change his mind and declare for a supplemental draft. That would still cost us $26-28 million next year, plus we'd lose next year's first round pick, and we wouldn't trade Carr before the draft and add that extra pick because we wouldn't know that we can get Vince later.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006   #20
spence425
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 34
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 0 spence425 is ridin' the pine
Default

just to add to all the other objections...the basic reason NO wouldn't do it is because they are looking for a franchise QB, so they need to stay in the top three for sure. i like carr, but i'm afraid at this point nobody sees him as a franchise quarterback.
spence425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger