Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-06-2006   #1
Caw Daddy
Rookie

Default CC says bush

some dude on cold pizza said he talked to CC and CC said

Carrs option will be taken-

also the guy said that CC isnt allowed to talk about it but he told him indirectly that reggie bush is too awesome to pass on.

David and Reggie 06'
"Still no offensive line"

what do we do fellow forum fiends?
im all for trading that ish and getting some nasty OL coughD.FERGUSONcough and some picks
Caw Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #2
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Go DEFENSE....

O-line is deep this year in the draft and Fergie boy hasn't looked like the manchild I'd expect out of a top 5 lineman. Maybe if we traded back to 10-12 range I'd be fore taking him but at this point it seems like Winston Justice could be the way to go.
Old 01-06-2006   #3
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The team is forced to take Bush or Young at this point unless we got a "very interesting" offer. The fans want someone flashy. To get them back in the seats, that is what McNair will have to do. It is unfortunate, because I think the right thing to do is trade down with the Jets and take Ferguson. If the Titans take Ferguson, then you will have a shot at Young, Lienart, or Bush anyway. You could even trade down again or go defense at that point. We really have to get better in the front seven on defense and the O-line. Until that happens, this team will be spinning its wheels.
Old 01-06-2006   #4
The Preacher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
The team is forced to take Bush or Young at this point unless we got a "very interesting" offer. The fans want someone flashy. To get them back in the seats, that is what McNair will have to do. It is unfortunate, because I think the right thing to do is trade down with the Jets and take Ferguson. If the Titans take Ferguson, then you will have a shot at Young, Lienart, or Bush anyway. You could even trade down again or go defense at that point. We really have to get better in the front seven on defense and the O-line. Until that happens, this team will be spinning its wheels.
We agree as do most I think around here. Unless we pick up an all-pro lineman in FA it would be practically unthinkable to let the current 70 sack average go on any longer. Even with three step drops the only options are a dumpoff, quick hitch, or sack. Carr doesn't even know how to look off a receiver because he has never had time too. I believe any QB with great athleticism and decent intellect can grow tremendously with experience at the pro level if afforded the opportuntity. DC has simply not had the luxury of having the smallest resemblance of confidence in his o-line so it's no wonder he sometimes makes bad decisions when he actually has two seconds. It would a shame and massive waste of time and talent to move on at this point when you finally have a chance to build not only a good but possibly great line, plus add talent to the other side of the ball.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #5
Straightshooter
Rookie

*cough* *cough* wow so much smoke can barley breathe.......SMOKESCREEN!! Dont believe anything until the pick goes down. This is the game all teams play to fool other teams.
Old 01-06-2006   #6
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Straightshooter,

What would you think of LenDale White in an Eagle's uniform? I think he would be a great fit there.
Old 01-06-2006   #7
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

We can still get good oline in the second and third round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2006   #8
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
It is unfortunate, because I think the right thing to do is trade down with the Jets and take Ferguson.
I just think using a top 4 pick for Ferguson is just too high. I don't think he is a franchise type tackle. Of course, I could be wrong.
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #9
HOOK'EM
Veteran

Get da BUSH!
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #10
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr
I just think using a top 4 pick for Ferguson is just too high. I don't think he is a franchise type tackle. Of course, I could be wrong.
I would take AJ Hawk at #4 over Ferguson.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #11
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I wouldn't take Ferguson at #4 and I also wouldn't take any of this year's LBs at #4. LBs don't need to go this high unless they are a freak of nature like LaVar Arrington was, and none of this year's are that good, plus we have some contract issues with a couple of our LBs and that would make it hard to bring in another one right now. I would take Mario Williams this high if he puts up some impressive numbers in workouts otherwise I'd look to move lower in the draft.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

If we stayed at a 3-4 I would consider taking Haloti Ngata at #4. He is the ultimate NT in a 3-4 and Mario Williams would be wasted in our scheme unless you made him an OLB
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
LBs don't need to go this high unless they are a freak of nature like LaVar Arrington was, and none of this year's are that good
I read somewhere that AJ Hawk is the highest rated LB in the draft since Arrington. I'm not saying we should trade down and take him. I am just trying to be objective about all of the options.
Old 01-18-2006   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

if Kiper's first mock is any indication.. if we trade down and get another #2 pick.. we could pick up two of the elite OT prospects in this draft (if we wanted to)

Only Dbrick and Justice were drafted in the first round in his mock.

I think trading down brings us closer to being competitive. I can understand why Bush is a good pick.. I wouldnt mind having him just to have another playmaker, and someone who could shine in the Denver style of offense. But if Denver can put up 2000 yards with their backs this season.. and make it to the AFC championship on their shoulders.. then I think we can do it with our guys. What we will need though is more talent on defense.. and I think we could address that with a trade down. There are a slew of very talented defensive players available in this draft..and alot of them are at positions where we could really use them.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
If we stayed at a 3-4 I would consider taking Haloti Ngata at #4. He is the ultimate NT in a 3-4 and Mario Williams would be wasted in our scheme unless you made him an OLB
Ngata should be great, but like LBs, DTs generally aren't taken that high and I wouldn't take Ngata if I were the Texans, our DL for a 3-4 is pretty good, I'd only take a DL if we switch to a 4-3 and we are getting a DE for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
if Kiper's first mock is any indication.. if we trade down and get another #2 pick.. we could pick up two of the elite OT prospects in this draft (if we wanted to)

Only Dbrick and Justice were drafted in the first round in his mock.

I think trading down brings us closer to being competitive. I can understand why Bush is a good pick.. I wouldnt mind having him just to have another playmaker, and someone who could shine in the Denver style of offense. But if Denver can put up 2000 yards with their backs this season.. and make it to the AFC championship on their shoulders.. then I think we can do it with our guys. What we will need though is more talent on defense.. and I think we could address that with a trade down. There are a slew of very talented defensive players available in this draft..and alot of them are at positions where we could really use them.
If Eric Winston somehow slipped to the 2nd round he would be the steal of the draft at #33, and I'd have no problem taking Mario at #4 if we switch to a 4-3 and then grab Eric Winston at #33, I had previously posted a scenario in which we trade up to #22 with Denver and grab Winston there, but if we can get him at #33 instead that's even better.
Old 01-18-2006   #16
Spoda
Veteran

i am so tired of hearing how studs don't fit our scheme...peppers and DJ and the like..we need to be in a scheme where we can take these freaks of nature that make plays...so we don't have to gamble on the babins and peeks of the world...
Old 01-18-2006   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

speaking of studs that dont fit our scheme.. is Eric Winston fitting for a denver style Oline?

hmm.. actually i just checked NFL draft countdown to see, and he does sound like a real good fit, even if he is 312 pounds.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...icwinston.html

Extremely athletic and quick.. amazing feet.. outstanding mobility.. sounds good to me. Plus..he came to college as a tight end.. which makes me think that he may be even better if he dropped a little weight.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
If Eric Winston somehow slipped to the 2nd round he would be the steal of the draft at #33, and I'd have no problem taking Mario at #4 if we switch to a 4-3 and then grab Eric Winston at #33, I had previously posted a scenario in which we trade up to #22 with Denver and grab Winston there, but if we can get him at #33 instead that's even better.
If this played out I will be popping and locking.
Old 01-18-2006   #19
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
speaking of studs that dont fit our scheme.. is Eric Winston fitting for a denver style Oline?

hmm.. actually i just checked NFL draft countdown to see, and he does sound like a real good fit, even if he is 312 pounds.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...icwinston.html

Extremely athletic and quick.. amazing feet.. outstanding mobility.. sounds good to me. Plus..he came to college as a tight end.. which makes me think that he may be even better if he dropped a little weight.
Winston is a great athlete, he played TE for his 1st year (when Miami lost to Ohio St. in the championship game) and did see some playing time even with Kellen Winslow in front of him on the depth chart. He could drop a little weight but I think 315 isn't too big for a OT, and he's still pretty athletic so I think he would work out well in a zone-blocking running game and is quite good in pass protection, maybe not quite as good of a pass blocker as Ferguson, but he's much better in run blocking, and he is the general on Miami's line that calls out blitzes and protections and everything too so he is a smart player.
Old 01-18-2006   #20
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoda
i am so tired of hearing how studs don't fit our scheme...peppers and DJ and the like..we need to be in a scheme where we can take these freaks of nature that make plays...so we don't have to gamble on the babins and peeks of the world...
I'm with you on this Spoda, You scheme to your strengths, not force your strengths to play your scheme. That's why teams like NE are so successful.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read