Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-06-2006   #1
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Default What Would Your Texan's O-Line Look Like Next Year??..

what would your line look like and where would you get em from??

2nd Round - Marcus McNeil
3rd Round - Will Allen

FA - Jeff Backus

LT Backus/Wand LG Allen/Pitts C Hodgdon RG Weigert/Pitts RT McNeil /Wade
Old 01-06-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

2nd Round: Max Jean-Gilles
3rd Round: Taitusi Lutui

FA: LeCharles Bently

LT: Pitts/Wand/Wade
LG: Jean-Gilles/Lutui
C: Bently/Hodgdon
RG: Wiegert/Lutui/Jean-Gilles
RT: Wand/Wade

I wouldnt mind getting Backus.. but I think we are gonna have to choose to pursue Backus or Bentley, and I think Bentley may be the bigger need.. OT is a possibility in the draft if necessary.. and Wand I think could be a great RT.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

BTW.. if we get Kubiak as our HC and he brings in his Oline coach and starts building our line in Denver's image.. Jean-Gilles and Lutui probably wont even be considered by us.

In that situation, i could see us go for players like:

2nd: OT Daryn Colledge
3rd: OG Davin Joseph
or
3rd: C Greg Eslinger

And I could see us making a play for RFA: Jason Peters out of Buffalo... though I dunno if we have a chance of getting him. Not sure how important he is to them... I know he started at RT and did fairly well this season.

I just know that the Denver defense is small compared to the rest of the NFL. Their LT is actually a former tight end. Apparently the Denver Oline depends more on speed and explosiveness than strength and girth.
Old 01-06-2006   #4
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid

I wouldnt mind getting Backus.. but I think we are gonna have to choose to pursue Backus or Bentley, and I think Bentley may be the bigger need.. OT is a possibility in the draft if necessary.. and Wand I think could be a great RT.

Now this is a post that makes sense. I like going after two guards in the draft and bringing in a center in FA.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #5
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Here is my OLine options (probably dreaming, but that's what this thread is about isn't it?):

1. Trade down with Arizona, acquiring #10, 2nd round pick (#42), 2007 1st and 3rd round picks, and Leonard Davis. Draft Eric Winston at #10, not to mention having #42 and next year's 1st and 3rds from Arizona who should be pretty lousy again next year.
2. Sign LeCharles Bentley in the offseason to play C.
3. In the 2nd round, use one of our picks to select whoever we think is the best OG available (Davin Joseph, Max Jean-Gilles, whoever), use the other pick on defense.

This yields an OLine like this:
LT Chester Pitts (Eric Winston likely wins this spot by end of 1st season)
LG Zach Wiegert/draft pick (Wiegert is fine with me for 2006 season, but if our 2nd rounder can beat him out, great, if not they will replace Wiegert in 07)
C LeCharles Bentley (Hodgdon backs him up)
RG Leonard Davis (huge OG that will be a monster for our running game)
RT Eric Winston (Chester Pitts in 2007 after Winston wins LT spot?)

As backups we can have Todd Wade (yes he is an expensive backup but I don't want him starting), Milford Brown, Fred Weary, Seth Wand, Todd Washington (they are all decent backups). McKinney can be released.

This line would be great, not to mention young and would power this offense for years to come. Show me someone that thinks Davis won't be a top 5-8 RB and Carr won't be a top 5-10 QB behind this line, and I'll show you someone that is crazy. I think it would be pretty realistic too, Arizona needs a new QB, and especially if Vince comes out trading up to #1 gives them the choice between Young and Leinart (I think they'd take Leinart for their offensive style) or maybe going for Bush (they could definitely look at Daunte Culpepper if he is released from Minnesota). I think they'd be willing to add Leonard Davis to the trade, he is their only good OLineman but he didn't have a great year since he's playing out of position at LT and stranding him out there doesn't help the team at all. That would be my #1 choice for an OLine next year.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #6
Spoda
Veteran

my line

LT pitts until our rookie takes over then move to RT if needed or LG
LG lUTUI/ or Mckinney(i know ..i know) but better here than center
C hogdon(give him another shot)
RG weigert
RT if we take bush beg for scott/winston/colledge/winston justice to be there at 1st pick second round....if we don't take bush D'BRICK!!!!

please texans..draft some line help!!
Old 01-06-2006   #7
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Mork I like your thought process here. I do think that with the guys that will be available in FA we may be able to do better at the backups though, but not sure we will explore those options later. If we can get L. Davis from Arizona that makes for a hell of a trade and I would not have a problem with it, but if not then I dont trade down that far. I have entered into the thought that Weigert or McKinney could be released, but if McKinney restructures to a better deal then we keep him and get rid of Weigert. Mind you this all depends on signing LeCharles Bentley.
Old 01-06-2006   #8
Boylanca
Rookie

LT: D'brick
LG: Max Jean Gilles
C-RT = SAME
Boylanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #9
bdiddy
Veteran

Default This Line Equals Top 10 Rusing Offense, 1/2 the Sacks

Sing LeCharles Bently
Restructure McKinney's Contract
2nd Round - McNeil (probably gone) or Johnathan Scott
4th Round - Will Allen

Have Pitts and McNeil/Scott compete for LT spot, winner is LT, loser is RT.

Have Allen compete with McKinney and Weigert for guard, most likely just depth until Weigert retires in a 1-2 years.

Pitts/Draft Pick - McKinney - Bently - Weiger - Draft Pick/Pitts

Missed out on Leonard Davis Take:
1. Will will not get all the picks you suggest, but I would love it if it could come true.

2. Leonard Davis is not that great of a lineman. He is consistantly overweight/underperforming, his feet are very questionable, he over-extends himself when trying to use his hands. He is huge and has good strength and if properly motivated has good potential. It also hurts that the cardinals have played him out of position at tackle at times. I can live with Davis, but please do not suggest the signing of Mike Williams (which you haven't but others have on this board).

Last edited by bdiddy; 01-06-2006 at 03:59 PM.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #10
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

LT-Seth Wand
LG -Cameron Spikes
C - Todd Washington
RG - Todd Wade
RT - Victor Riley

This should do it.
Old 01-06-2006   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
LT-Seth Wand
LG -Cameron Spikes
C - Todd Washington
RG - Todd Wade
RT - Victor Riley

This should do it.
Yup, it should get Carr killed!

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #12
AUSTexan
Rookie

Quote:

Grid - Beautiful... Exactly as I laid it out last week on my blog... and I agree that Gilles doesn't exactly fit into the Denver o-line mold...
AUSTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #13
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ive been saying this for a while. If we get those two in the second and third rounds there is no doubt in my mind that we should take bush.
If I could choose one free agent I would choose Bently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

The only thing is that Lutui and Jean-Gilles are definatly NOT the kind of Olinemen that Kubiak used in Denver.

I think only one lineman on the Denver Oline is over 300 lbs. Jean-Gilles is 340, and Lutui is 370 (wow)

Daryn Colledge (OT) and Greg Eslinger (C) strike me as the two best linemen in the Denver mold that will be available in this draft.. which kinda stinks cause what we really need are Guards.

Jason Peters, the RFA from buffalo, would also be a PERFECT fit for us at RT... but according to the Buffalo fans, he is their best lineman and there is no way that Buffalo is going to let him go (which sucks cause I was a big supporter of Peters when he came out of college as a TE, but we didnt take him...drat)
Old 01-09-2006   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Yup, it should get Carr killed!
I'm glad you saw through my humor.
Old 01-09-2006   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The only thing is that Lutui and Jean-Gilles are definatly NOT the kind of Olinemen that Kubiak used in Denver.

I think only one lineman on the Denver Oline is over 300 lbs. Jean-Gilles is 340, and Lutui is 370 (wow)

Daryn Colledge (OT) and Greg Eslinger (C) strike me as the two best linemen in the Denver mold that will be available in this draft.. which kinda stinks cause what we really need are Guards.

Jason Peters, the RFA from buffalo, would also be a PERFECT fit for us at RT... but according to the Buffalo fans, he is their best lineman and there is no way that Buffalo is going to let him go (which sucks cause I was a big supporter of Peters when he came out of college as a TE, but we didnt take him...drat)
The hell with the system for this. I love denvers system, but I have full confidence in Luiti and Giles. Both are interior players who do an excelent job at pulling. If you watched their bolw games, they both dominated. Luiti shut down a first round DT in rod wright.

Zone blocking is not so much speed, as it is of being in a certian spot. The object of the scheme is to not let a blocker cross your face. Most of the time you are on a "rail" or slanting a certian direction and picking up an area. Often times, the OG's do not have a man directly over them unless the DT's were to be in an 11 or "narrow". In most cases, a double team block is used to start with. Say for instance that the line has a 42 zone read, which means they are zoning to the right. In order for the OT who has a man head up to sucessfully have his man zoned and turned, he requires assistance from his OG. The OG usually is required to hit the OT's man in order to turn him and make an easier block before heading to his responsibility, usually in between the MLB and the ROLB. The OG's have to preform this move quickly and it must be effective the first time. OG's to run a zone blocking system have to be both strong and quick.

Giles and Luiti seem fine enough for this system while also not making us ignore our obvious need for pass protection

My 2006 Offensive Line:
FA- LeCharles Bently
2nd - Giles LG
1st 3rd- top RT prospect...but maybe not this much dedication the the o-line. probally a defensive pick.
4th- Luiti RG

LT- Pitts
LG- Giles/McKinney
C- Bently
RG- Weigert/Luiti
RT- Wade/Wand
Old 01-09-2006   #17
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
My 2006 Offensive Line:
FA- LeCharles Bently
2nd - Giles LG
1st 3rd- top RT prospect...but maybe not this much dedication the the o-line. probally a defensive pick.
4th- Luiti RG

LT- Pitts
LG- Giles/McKinney
C- Bently
RG- Weigert/Luiti
RT- Wade/Wand
Not bad but I still have a problem with Wade/Wand starting at RT. It is looking a little more likely that the Texans may draft Bush, but I'm still in favor of trading down and getting a guy like Eric Winston (unless we switch to a 4-3 and Mario Williams puts up a freakish combine and looks like a Julius Peppers clone, then we draft him).
Old 01-09-2006   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Not bad but I still have a problem with Wade/Wand starting at RT. It is looking a little more likely that the Texans may draft Bush, but I'm still in favor of trading down and getting a guy like Eric Winston (unless we switch to a 4-3 and Mario Williams puts up a freakish combine and looks like a Julius Peppers clone, then we draft him).
I like Mario a lot also, and remember he could play a 3-4 DE also. However I would still prefer an Ahmad Brooks or that type MLB. I could live with VY and MAYBE with reggie...with my suggested O-line.

I am also hesitant about Wade/Wand at RT, but I doubt we could afford to devote any more than two picks to our O-line. We have too many holes. Pitts has done well enough for me i think. Wade also presents a huge contract that is not tradeable. We may have to stick it out one more year at RT. 4/5 of our O-line would be good to go for a while.
Old 01-09-2006   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

for those of you questioning wehter or not giles and luiti could work in denevers system, read my post discussing zone blocking and them watch them on film. They may not be the BEST options for a zone scheme, but they provide much better pass protection than those who are slightly better fits.
Old 01-09-2006   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
I like Mario a lot also, and remember he could play a 3-4 DE also. However I would still prefer an Ahmad Brooks or that type MLB. I could live with VY and MAYBE with reggie...with my suggested O-line.

I am also hesitant about Wade/Wand at RT, but I doubt we could afford to devote any more than two picks to our O-line. We have too many holes. Pitts has done well enough for me i think. Wade also presents a huge contract that is not tradeable. We may have to stick it out one more year at RT. 4/5 of our O-line would be good to go for a while.
Williams is big enough to play 3-4 DE but I think that would be a waste of his athletic talent. 3-4 DL are supposed to get in there and occupy blockers for LBs to bring the pass rush, and then to gum up the running game. If Williams is indeed almost as fast as Peppers, it would be a waste to use him in that role, you could maybe have him drop 20 lbs. and be an enormous OLB pass-rusher, but he'd still fir in a 4-3 better.

I understand Wade's contract and that we can't move him. He'd be an expensive bench player, but I still really do not like him starting and would be willing to bite the bullet on that one and keep him on the bench and use him as depth. Setting 4/5 of our OLinemen would be great, but I stll want that fifth one. Another thought, Kubiak might bring Dan Neil with him for cheap when he comes (if Kubiak is hired) if he is healthy. Neil is pretty old but he'd likely be a better option at OG than McKinney. I agree Lutui and Gilles may not be the best option in a zone blocking scheme, maybe Davin Joseph would fit better. Either way, if we can bring in LeCharles Bentley and McKinney takes a big pay cut, we could keep Wiegert and McKinney at OGs for a bit while a rookie gets more accustomed to zone blocking, although both of them need to be replaced by the end of the 2006 season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read