Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Which are you? (read the post below)
I'm a 1 5 19.23%
I'm a 2 21 80.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2006   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Asking the tough question

Now.. BE HONEST.. and think this through before you make your vote. I know that for some people, neither answer will be a perfect fit.. but please select the one that is the CLOSEST to how you feel..and then clarify your opinion in this thread, if you feel the need.

Remember to consider it from ALL angles.. take into consideration the progress we made before this season.. the talent and potential of our current players.. and the impact that a new coaching staff will make on our existing team.

I'm a 1

You feel that if we dont take Vince Young, you will have a hard time being a Texans fan, or you will at least not trust the front office anymore. You think that it is very important that we take a talented home town prospect.. even if it means we have to dump David Carr. You realize that taking Vince Young will probably slow down our development into a playoff calibre team, but you think it is worth it to get Vince Young, and that we will be shooting ourselves in the foot if we dont take him.

I'm a 2

You feel that the front office will make the right choice. While you would not mind having a home town star like Vince Young on the team, you feel that he may not be the best choice for the franchise. While being loyal to your home town players is important, you feel that loyalty to the Houston Texans and what is best for them is more important. You will support and be happy with whomever the Texans choose, so long as it is a smart pick.

So which is it?
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry misread your post. Please delete.
Old 01-06-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

If you dont think we will take Vince Young.. then #2 would be the best fit.. because that fits every other pick we could make.
Old 01-06-2006   #4
Nighthawk
All Pro

Not enough options in the poll. It's rigged either way.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #5
bigcarlos
Veteran

Just delete it.
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #6
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Here's my "other" option.

3)
Part 1 - I don't know what I want. I want Barry Sanders (Bush) or Steve McNair (Young) but I'd also be happy with Joe Montana (Leinart). I don't want Ki-Jana Carter (Bush) I don't want Andre Ware (Young) and I don't want Ryan Leaf (Leinart). I just want the right decision.

Part 2 - I won't trust this staff to make the right decision until they prove otherwise.
ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

hmmm.. maybe I wrote it too eloquently.

for the hard of learning.

#1 = I BE WANTIN VINCE AND DA TEXANS BETTA GIVE ME VINCE OR IMA GONNA QUIT BUYIN DEM TICKETS!!!!

#2 = VINCE BE COOL, BUT I AINT GONNA STOP BUYIN DEM TICKETS IF WEZ AINT DRAFTIN HIM. I BE A TEXANS FAN...NOT A UT FAN.. WHAT BE BEST FO THE TEAM IS WHAT I BE WANTIN

that better?
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2006   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't we trade down? Why is everyone convinced that Casserly wants Bush?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

see.. I see where i made the mistake now. People can not yet look at just ONE side of the arguement.. too many people are defensive about what they want to happen.

This poll isnt about Bush.. its about how the fans will react if we do take vince young.. and how they will react if we take someone OTHER than vince young.. be it Bush, or a trade down and someone else.
Old 01-06-2006   #10
LongBignasty1
Veteran

Nighthawk, i like your style man. Grid, i am a Texans fan period. Having said that i am not going to answer 1 or 2 because i want what is best for the team not my selfish ambitions. I wanted Vince Young before the rose bowl but knew he planned on staying unless he won it(and he did). I am a tried and true Texas fan but would not forgo better talent to pick up a lesser player just because he went to UT. We (as Texans fans) are going to have wait at least a full season before we go to the playoffs anyway we pick. Carr has had 4 full seasons to develop and while he improved he will NEVER be a gamechanger, he'll be good more than likely but never great. Dom Davis, although injury prone, has turned into our better offensive prospect and is considered by some to be a top ten back. Now what you really have to ask yourself (and like you said "be honest") is Carr ever going to be a top ten Quaterback? Now that you had a chance to mull it over a little bit do you want a top 3 RB(REGGIE) and top 20 QB( Carr) ? Or have you decided to take a top ten RB(D.D.) and a top 3 QB(Young)? So he just happens to be from Houston, so he just won the national championship over the great USC dynasty, so he just happens to have lead all passers in QB proficiency, so he accounted for over 75% of UT's offense in that game, so he can make a defense respect the threat he presents to run and opens up the pass. So make your decision and take your time, when you decide to come on board we'll all be here!
Old 01-06-2006   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Thank you LongBigNasty.. I think that would have fallen under Option 2.. with the clarification that you are a Texans fan, and you feel the intelligent pick is Vince Young.. but if we dont take him, you will still be a supporting Texans fan.

Maybe I DIDNT spell it out well enough in the original post.
Old 01-06-2006   #12
bubbajaxonbrown
Rookie

I feel guilty now. Am I selfish if I picked 1?

I'm kidding Grid. Good post. If people understand the question I will be very interested to see its results tomarrow at 5:00 PM.
bubbajaxonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #13
LongBignasty1
Veteran

Actually, you leveraged both answers too heavily and pigeonholed voters into a position they might not want to be associated with. It was plenty clear enough.
We're one team and we all have the same love for the team so "i ain't mad at'cha".
By the way, how funny that Vince Young AND Will Ferrell were on the tonight show. More Cowbell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 01-06-2006   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

well I was trying to make a fairly simple poll that provided an option for both parties.. but wasnt worded in a way that made it to easy to answer one way or the other.

If I had simply had the poll as

Will you support the Texans if we dont draft Vince Young

Yes
No

90% of people would say yes because that is the "right" answer. I was hoping that by making it a little more convoluted and forcing people to think.. it would get more honest results.

Unfortunatly, I made it too convoluted, or at the very least I left out a couple of specifications that would have made each choice cover a somewhat larger group.

But, thats why I included the part at the top that you should consider it carefully..looking at it from all angles.. and pick the one that more closely resembles your stance.. and then clarify your stance with a post below.

Didnt quite work as I had hoped.. but oh well.. Ill just have to wait 3 months and see what happens when the **** hits the fan and we draft whoever.
Old 01-06-2006   #15
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I'm a Houston fan first. No question needed.
ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #16
LongBignasty1
Veteran

Roger that! Texans all day, every day!!!!
Old 01-06-2006   #17
Pscooter21
Rookie

Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBignasty1
Nighthawk, i like your style man. Grid, i am a Texans fan period. Having said that i am not going to answer 1 or 2 because i want what is best for the team not my selfish ambitions. I wanted Vince Young before the rose bowl but knew he planned on staying unless he won it(and he did). I am a tried and true Texas fan but would not forgo better talent to pick up a lesser player just because he went to UT. We (as Texans fans) are going to have wait at least a full season before we go to the playoffs anyway we pick. Carr has had 4 full seasons to develop and while he improved he will NEVER be a gamechanger, he'll be good more than likely but never great. Dom Davis, although injury prone, has turned into our better offensive prospect and is considered by some to be a top ten back. Now what you really have to ask yourself (and like you said "be honest") is Carr ever going to be a top ten Quaterback? Now that you had a chance to mull it over a little bit do you want a top 3 RB(REGGIE) and top 20 QB( Carr) ? Or have you decided to take a top ten RB(D.D.) and a top 3 QB(Young)? So he just happens to be from Houston, so he just won the national championship over the great USC dynasty, so he just happens to have lead all passers in QB proficiency, so he accounted for over 75% of UT's offense in that game, so he can make a defense respect the threat he presents to run and opens up the pass. So make your decision and take your time, when you decide to come on board we'll all be here!
Great clarification I picked #1 and this is why, I started with the oilers when I was but young tike back in 77,78,79,and 80. We had some great players Earl, Dan , Kenny Houston, and also Bum Phillips. Then the powers that be at that time dismantled that team. Fast forward through the 80's and 90's they did the same with Moon, ETC Etc and then the Oilers. So to see what happened with DJ last year and the possibility of it happening again with Vince is tough will I be mad Oh Hell Yeah for a while. Will I get over it probably, but lets not test that. Great post.

Later...............

Pscooter21.................

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read