Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2006   #1
Texans86
All Pro

Default Bad Fan?

Does it make me a bad fan because I don't want either Reggie Bush or Vince Young? Am I the only person in Houston who doesn't see either of these players helping us in the long run (including cap hits and future free agent talent)? I think those of us who want to trade the pick are definately in the minority. Surely, if you are there, please speak up.
Old 01-06-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

No it doesn't mean you are a bad fan. Right now there are 3 camps of fans of the Texans. You have the Vince people, the Reggie people, and the trade down people. All have the same goal of making the team better, but each group has a different way to achieve it.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #3
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Of course not. That's really the nice thing about this draft - this year. Our team has options. Some drafts are much more top-talent poor.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
Does it make me a bad fan because I don't want either Reggie Bush or Vince Young? Am I the only person in Houston who doesn't see either of these players helping us in the long run (including cap hits and future free agent talent)? I think those of us who want to trade the pick are definately in the minority. Surely, if you are there, please speak up.

You're not a bad fan. Honestly I find it hard to concure with you about neither of these players helping us in the long run but the fact that I disagree with you doesn't make you a bad fan. Whether we have a need in their particular areas (QB, RB) can be debated and whether they would upgrade the position enough to pick one first overall can also be argued. They are both however the kind of players that could help any team and I think they would help the Texans.

You and I want the same thing. We want a better Texans team. We just have different ideas on how to get there. If we trade down then I hope that works. I'll be on your side the second they trade that pick and I expect the people who don't want Reggie Bush (I'm in the Bush camp) to rally around him the moment his name is called if that ends up happening.

We're going to the same place. You're not a bad fan. You're a Texan fan and they don't get much better than that.

Old 01-06-2006   #5
Texans86
All Pro

It's good to hear support around here rather than arguement. Thanks guys.
Old 01-06-2006   #6
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Your on the forums for a team that just went 2-14. There really are no bad fans here.

He this is the way I look at it. As long as your focus is on the success of the team, then you are a good fan. It is a given that people are going the disagree. If you were only pulling for Reggie and it was all about him and his career etc then I would say you are a good Reggie Bush fan but not a good Texans fan. I am a Texans fan, if we don't get a player, I may root for him but I am a fan of this team and that comes first.

You know what is crazy? Is that picking reggie, picking young or trading down may ALL lead to us being a great team. Who knows what the future holds.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #7
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

Dont listen to these other guys, your a BAD fan! you should be ashamed of yourself.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2006   #8
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I'll be on your side the second they trade that pick and I expect the people who don't want Reggie Bush (I'm in the Bush camp) to rally around him the moment his name is called if that ends up happening.
The moment the commish calls the name of the guy we draft, I will be a fan of his and hope he works out. Regardless of who it is.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #9
AUSTexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
The moment the commish calls the name of the guy we draft, I will be a fan of his and hope he works out. Regardless of who it is.

or "they" work out... (for the trade down camp)
AUSTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

No im with ya on the trade down wagon. But the talking heads on ESPN did make a fairly inticing arguement about Bush and the packages that he will allow you to use with his versatility.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #11
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not at all. We all want the same thing and thats a successful Texans team. We all have an opinion about the best way to achieve - just as Saunders, Kubiak or Linehan would have.
We dont all agree on whether Carr is the QB for this franchise - I think he is but I want to see him behind a decent O line. If he doesn't perform then I'll hold my hands up and say I got it wrong.
My view of the draft - any draft - is you take the best available player, if thats Bush thats Bush. If we trade down philosophy is still the same.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #12
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

The beautiful thing here is, I think I like all the different options we have in this draft.

I like VY, I like Bush, and I like trading for more picks. Of coarse, I seem to be changing my mind about which one I like the most from day to day! But, all three are good options.

I will say this, I feel sorry for VY if he comes out and he ends up going to the Saints. If you think we have problems, take a look at the Saints. No home field, crappy ownership, a mad fan base, a history of losing, and HC position that I doubt anyone wants. Yikes!
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are not a bad fan at all if that is your feeling and you think the Texans should go in a direction you like. I think yesterday people got frustrated at the sudden bandwagon mentality that seemed to appear overnight. But fans should question what the team is doing when they are 2-14.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81025 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, I'm for trading down, but I don't think the Young people are bandwagoners either. The guy had a monster bowl game AGAIN. Combine that with the fact that Bush didn't look like Superman, although he did his part, and I can see why people want him. Shoot, I'd take him right now if trading down was not an option.

The guy had 400 all-purpose yards to win the National Championship. That doesn't just happen out of luck or having a good day.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #15
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
No it doesn't mean you are a bad fan. Right now there are 3 camps of fans of the Texans. You have the Vince people, the Reggie people, and the trade down people. All have the same goal of making the team better, but each group has a different way to achieve it.
...I'm in the 4th camp - bringing in a quality coach and assistants, then work on the front office. Mainly because like what's mentioned above, this camp also believes whomever is picked will help our team. (Assuming Casserly won't trade 3 picks for a field goal kicker.)
OzzO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Wharton, I think you're a BAD fan!

Just like I think McNair and Casserly are BAD fans, because I truly believe they feel the same way you do.

OH BTW . . . I'm a BAD fan, too!
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #17
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton
The beautiful thing here is, I think I like all the different options we have in this draft.

I like VY, I like Bush, and I like trading for more picks. Of coarse, I seem to be changing my mind about which one I like the most from day to day! But, all three are good options.

I will say this, I feel sorry for VY if he comes out and he ends up going to the Saints. If you think we have problems, take a look at the Saints. No home field, crappy ownership, a mad fan base, a history of losing, and HC position that I doubt anyone wants. Yikes!
My thoughts exactly! In any given hour - I can change my mind three or four times. As for anyone - VY or Leinert or Bush going to the Saints? They have my sympathy as that won't be an easy road.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No you are not a bad fan. But you may be a novice of the board because there are opinions on umpteen scenarios. Check out the NFL Draft 2006 forum as well.
Old 01-06-2006   #19
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, coming from the FEMALE side of the debate, I think you are a very intelligent fan! I've never been sold on the idea of ONE particular player making or breaking a team. All the GREAT, HOF players out there, had a fantastic supporting cast. VY romped around like a one man wreaking ball, that won't happen in the NFL. RB slips and slids, does somersaults, and tries all kind of cutsie little moves, that will haunt him in the NFL, won't work. Yes, I agree that both have special talents, BUT, they would NEVER be able to demonstrate those talents without great football players on both sides of the ball. Not enough credit has been given to the supporting players, IMHO!

Personally, I don't think CC FIRST draft picks have been all that bad. David needs HELP, Dunte and AJ are fantastic, and TJ will be fine after he learns the NFL ropes. I have to believe the next first pick will be as talented as these four fine young men, and will work hard to become part of our young TEXAN team! I really don't care who that is!! There's always that "diamond in the ruff," and first round picks can always end up a bust. It's a gamble, anyway you look at it.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As has already been said, I agree that you're not a bad fan (unless you wore a bag on your head to a game ).

I'm actually in a forth group of undecided voters. I can see valid points in every position, and there are great cases to be made. If you held my feet to the fire right now, I'd probably lean a little towards Reggie Bush. I mean the Next.Gale.Sayers?! How can you not be impressed with that?!

But given the opportunity to make a mega-deal - ie. a team makes an offer than can't be refused...say their first two picks for 2006 & 2007 - I'd seriously consider that option, as well.

But whatever decision Mr. McNair makes with regards to our future HC, as well as draft picks, will be 100% supported by me. Simply because it means progress and distance away from the dismal 2-14 season. And we can't steer the bus, so might as well enjoy the ride!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read